ECT "Things that are different" included Gentiles

SaulToPaul 2

Forget that as a first - what was he talking about both prior to and after those passages?

And both prior to, and after that chapter and those passages.

And where else does he go into those prior and after things elsewhere in his writings?

After their overall, same basically related narrative, theme, subject, scope and context is settled, then look to solving for those passages.

Proverbs 27:17.

Sometimes it really is simple.

Danoh

Sometimes it really is simple.

More often then not, it only appears that way.

John 11:11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep. 11:12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well. 11:13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep. 11:14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

Jerry Shugart

The contrast is the covenants.

Paul was a minister of the New Covenant.

(2 Cor 3:6) He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant--not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

"Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament (diatheke); not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life"
(2 Cor.3:6; KJV).​

When we look at the words describing the New Diatheke (the spirit giveth life) we can understand that the ministry in question is preaching the gospel. That is the ministry which Paul speaks of here:

"But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God" (Acts 20:24).​

John Calvin certainly understood that Paul was speaking of the ministry to preach the gospel, writing the following:

"'Not of the letter but of the spirit'...There is, however, no doubt, that by the term 'letter,' he means the Old Testament, as by the term 'spirit' he means the gospel; for, after having called himself a 'minister of the New Testament,' he immediately adds, by way of exposition, that he is a 'minister of the spirit,' and contrasts the letter with the spirit" [emphasis added] (John Calvin, Commentary on Corinthians - Volume 2, Christian Classics Ethereal Library).​

In the Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary we read the following remarks on 2 Corinthians 3:6:

"spirit giveth life--The spirit of the Gospel when brought home to the heart by the Holy Spirit, gives new spiritual life to a man (Ro 6:4, 11)" [emphasis added] (Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary, Commentary at 2 Corinthians 3:6).​

Therefore, we can understand that when Paul uses the word diatheke at 2 Corinthians 3:6 the meaning of that word is the "gospel."

It's easy to understand how a person can minister the gospel but how does a person minister a covenant, specifically the New Covenant?

john w

Hall of Fame

"Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament (diatheke); not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life"
(2 Cor.3:6; KJV).​

When we look at the words describing the New Diatheke (the spirit giveth life) we can understand that the ministry in question is preaching the gospel. That is the ministry which Paul speaks of here:

"But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God" (Acts 20:24).​

John Calvin certainly understood that Paul was speaking of the ministry to preach the gospel, writing the following:

"'Not of the letter but of the spirit'...There is, however, no doubt, that by the term 'letter,' he means the Old Testament, as by the term 'spirit' he means the gospel; for, after having called himself a 'minister of the New Testament,' he immediately adds, by way of exposition, that he is a 'minister of the spirit,' and contrasts the letter with the spirit" [emphasis added] (John Calvin, Commentary on Corinthians - Volume 2, Christian Classics Ethereal Library).​

In the Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary we read the following remarks on 2 Corinthians 3:6:

"spirit giveth life--The spirit of the Gospel when brought home to the heart by the Holy Spirit, gives new spiritual life to a man (Ro 6:4, 11)" [emphasis added] (Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary, Commentary at 2 Corinthians 3:6).​

Therefore, we can understand that when Paul uses the word diatheke at 2 Corinthians 3:6 the meaning of that word is the "gospel."

It's easy to understand how a person can minister the gospel but how does a person minister a covenant, specifically the New Covenant?

Pre-emptive strile: Darby...Bullinger...I was a dispensationalist for 66 years....Darby....Fulfilled in Christ Jesus....Fulfilled AD 70....MAD cannot even agree....Darby....Bullinger.....Teachings/Inventions of fallable men....No one taught dispensationalism until The Flintstones taught it in AD 5.....Darby.....MAD suffers its 1257678867th death knell....Darby...Bullinger.....Don't you believe the bible?....Don't you believe Paul?...Bullinger.....Darby................Fulfilled in Christ.....Darby.....Fulfilled AD 70.....Darby....

Right Divider

Body part
Pre-emptive strile: Darby...Bullinger...I was a dispensationalist for 66 years....Darby....Fulfilled in Christ Jesus....Fulfilled AD 70....MAD cannot even agree....Darby....Bullinger.....Teachings/Inventions of fallable men....No one taught dispensationalism until The Flintstones taught it in AD 5.....Darby.....MAD suffers its 1257678867th death knell....Darby...Bullinger.....Don't you believe the bible?....Don't you believe Paul?...Bullinger.....Darby................Fulfilled in Christ.....Darby.....Fulfilled AD 70.....Darby....
:french:

SaulToPaul 2

You shore do take off well on Tet. Can you take off on Edward G. Robinson?

heir

TOL Subscriber
If you mean your many errors and double-standard: no thanks.
Take on my "many errors". Show me by the scripture where I am "wrong".

You're obviously dedicated enough and smart enough;
You said I was incompetent. Make up your mind.
but your study approach is way off.
I've yet to see you explain how it is.
As is the insolence you shroud it in.
Better check yourself on that one.

heir

TOL Subscriber
It is my calling you on your errors that bothers you.

Your heir-ers do not bother me beyond reading them and pointing them out.
I know you think you have, but you haven't. You haven't shown the OP to be in error by the scriptures. Have you even addressed it at all? If you have, it hasn't been with me.

Beyond that, they are your problem; not mine.
I don't have a problem with the OP, but you clearly do. Lay it out. This is a discussion board. Link dropping is not a discussion. What is YOUR argument?

Your study approach is off.
How?

heir

TOL Subscriber
As Paul might have said of your words there "this witness is true.."
There were Gentiles who were nigh found in the synagogue of the Jews (Acts 14:1 KJV, Acts 17:1-4 KJV, Galatians 3:29 KJV). These would be of the first group to whom Paul was sent (Acts 13:26 KJV, Acts 26:17 KJV).

There were Gentiles who were far off who had no hope and nothing to do with Israel (Ephesians 2:11-12 KJV) to whom Paul was later sent (Acts 22:17-21 KJV)given the dispensation of the grace of God toward (Ephesians 3:1-12 KJV). But now are made nigh by the blood of Christ and together (twain) made one new man(Ephesians 2:13-18 KJV)! Praise the LORD!

That's Gentiles in both groups!

heir

TOL Subscriber
Lol, you're hopeless.
If only you would allow yourself to see that you were hopeless, you would know exactly where you fit in to God's mystery plan because you weren't a Gentile according to the promise as the Galatians (Galatians 3:29 KJV). You were one of these double dogs (Ephesians 2:11-12 KJV)! Praise God that He had a mystery concerning you (Ephesians 3:1-6 KJV) or you wouldn't even be here!

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
There were Gentiles who were nigh found in the synagogue of the Jews (Acts 14:1 KJV, Acts 17:1-4 KJV, Galatians 3:29 KJV). These would be of the first group to whom Paul was sent (Acts 13:26 KJV, Acts 26:17 KJV).

WRONG

Paul always went to the Jew first, until a certain point in time.

(Rom 1:6) For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile

Gentiles were NEVER Jews.

As we see above, Paul always distinguished the two groups as "Jew and Gentile".
There were Gentiles who were far off who had no hope and nothing to do with Israel

Even the Gentiles who were god fearers and proselytes were second class to the Jews.

That's Gentiles in both groups!

Wrong again!

You only say this nonsense because you are desperate to try and make the Bible fit your Acts 9/Bullingerism.

glorydaz

I know you think you have, but you haven't. You haven't shown the OP to be in error by the scriptures. Have you even addressed it at all? If you have, it hasn't been with me.

I don't have a problem with the OP, but you clearly do. Lay it out. This is a discussion board. Link dropping is not a discussion. What is YOUR argument?

How?

Danny boy is one of those circular thinkers.....he goes around and around but can't seem to zero in on the topic. :chuckle: