"Therefore, Abortion Must Remain Legal"

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
Does my saying so make me pro-choice? Of course not.

Not pro-choice absolutely, but in one aspect, I'm not against the Iraq war, doesn't mean the cost is rational.

All you're presenting is a fringe exception to the general rule as if it makes a larger statement regarding your overall position.

You make that sound like a waste of time. I asked because I thought it was un-addressed and a unique question to pose

Please explain how pro-choice can be obfuscated into appearing pro-life.

Or pro-life can be obfuscated into appearing pro-choice, this was ambiguous but I'll try to answer anyway.

You've already said that I've found a fringe exception to the general rule, so there's little else to summate - I don't fear appearing conservative even though I detest their ideology, it depends on the specifics. If that's a symptom of your intransigence then so be it.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
What you see in my posts is probably only the tip of the iceberg LH, I seldom declare any great certainty because generally I’m not certain. Life around me seems to be entirely without any supernatural input though I won’t claim to be certain of that.
If abortions are done then I hope they are responsibly considered to be for the benefit of actual individual existing human persons before potential human persons.
I've been awake far too long, but it helped me realize something: I don't care to continue getting nowhere with you.

May God see my proverbial shaking of the dust from my feet as a testimony against you.

alwight

I've been awake far too long, but it helped me realize something: I don't care to continue getting nowhere with you.

May God see my proverbial shaking of the dust from my feet as a testimony against you.

At least you were reasonably polite this time, maybe next time then. :e4e:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
-The Doctor

RevTestament

But life is everywhere. Not just humans, there are animals and plants, insects and microbes Your individual cells are all alive. If every living thing has a "spirit", there is no way to avoid killing them every time you take a breath or a step or a bite. It makes this whole thing moot.
No. All life is sacred. That which gives up its life for us to live should not be wasted nor abused.

And in cases of rape, do you support abortion? Otherwise, the issue of consent is a red herring.
No I do not support abortion. In the event that the mother's health including mental health is threatened I support her and her family's careful and considered prayer on whether to raise the baby, put the baby up for adoption or as a last resort to abort the life.

There are things the state should involve itself in. Sexual activity is not one of them. Protecting zygotes is also not among them.
Oh there's a brilliant statement. So we should allow people to run around outside and have sex in the park? We should allow pedophiles to trick young minors into consent? We should allow incest? We should allow sex with animals in the open? The devils would just love that. etc, etc.

gcthomas

No I do not support abortion. In the event that the mother's health including mental health is threatened I support her and her family's careful and considered prayer on whether to raise the baby, put the baby up for adoption or as a last resort to abort the life. .

Looks more like a yes than a no, to me.

mighty_duck

No. All life is sacred. That which gives up its life for us to live should not be wasted nor abused.
Scratching your nose "wastes" the life of the skin cells there. Running on the grass kills countless insect, plant and microbial life.

Preserving all life, while on its face a noble endeavor, is a fool's errand if not used judiciously.

No I do not support abortion. In the event that the mother's health including mental health is threatened I support her and her family's careful and considered prayer on whether to raise the baby, put the baby up for adoption or as a last resort to abort the life.
I did not mean to suggest you support abortion as a first option, or the current culture of abortion-as-birth-control.

But it seems you do have the important bases covered - you seem to support keeping abortion legal, even for cases of mental health issue (which is a pretty wide umbrella), as long as the decision is a considered and thoughtful one. Correct?

Oh there's a brilliant statement. So we should allow people to run around outside and have sex in the park? We should allow pedophiles to trick young minors into consent? We should allow incest? We should allow sex with animals in the open? The devils would just love that. etc, etc.
Sex with minors, including incest, or with animals fall in to consent issues - where the state can interfere to prevent abuse. It can be argued that public obscenity also forces the sexual act upon non-consenting public viewers.

Sex between consenting adults has none of these issues, and is where the state should not interfere.

RevTestament

Preserving all life, while on its face a noble endeavor, is a fool's errand if not used judiciously.

I didn't say to preserve all life, I said to respect it as sacred.

I did not mean to suggest you support abortion as a first option, or the current culture of abortion-as-birth-control.

But it seems you do have the important bases covered - you seem to support keeping abortion legal, even for cases of mental health issue (which is a pretty wide umbrella), as long as the decision is a considered and thoughtful one. Correct?

No.
Luke 2:23 (As it is written in the law of יהוה, Every male that openeth the womb shall be called holy to יהוה)
A baby who is the product of rape may be the greatest blessing a woman ever had. Maybe a genius, a Mozart, an Einstein. I am espousing an ideal that really can't be put into a statute because it is up to the good intent of the decider. I am espousing a moral law. I don't think it really can be put in a statute form in our present society. It would probably be better if people rely on God on this issue.

Sex with minors, including incest, or with animals fall in to consent issues - where the state can interfere to prevent abuse. It can be argued that public obscenity also forces the sexual act upon non-consenting public viewers.

Sex between consenting adults has none of these issues, and is where the state should not interfere.
I tend to agree, but people should live to a higher standard than what this would allow, because it would allow a lot of sin. For instance it would allow sex between consenting adulterers - who am I kidding? When is that last time that was prosecuted?

WizardofOz

I apologize for the delay. m_d, you have been a pleasure to interact with. :e4e:
Feel free to respond but it seems this thread has about run its course.

WoO: All biological humans should have a fundamental right to life.
MD:Why?
WoO: Humans already have this right in general.
Stop right there. Why do you think "humans", in general, should have this right?

It's something we usually take for granted, but is important in this context.

That is a complete argument (if we help it a little).

You like cookies BECAUSE they taste good to you.

Now all I need is a similar BECAUSE for the question above.

You're basically asking me why I think killing humans is wrong or why doing so should be illegal. I feel it to be self-evident. Specifically, it is a violation of consent, it causes irreversible damage (death) to the victim, it violates the golden rule (treat others how you would want to be treated), et al.

It is a very hard question to articulate but hopefully the above will suffice.

No wider standard exists. That's the whole point.
Of course they exist. All humans from the ovum stage. All greater primates. All mammals. All biological life. etc. etc.

You reject those standards for various reasons - you don't automatically accept them just because they are wider than your standard.

When conception occurs, what begins is a human organism, identifiable a such by 46 chromosomes/human DNA.

This is not the case for any of the other examples given. However, I don't wish the unnecessary killing of any primate. I am largely talking about protecting human life, not primate life or mammalian life, etc. So, no wider standard exists in regard to human life, if such clarification was really needed.

Therefore, your standard as it relates to humans is inconsistent or at the very least exclusive. A human zygote is a human, yet you feel a separate standard should exist; a different standard than that used to measure every other human in existence.
There you go making the linguistic argument again.

Your whole point rests on what we CALL things. You are caught in an empty argument.

I tried to get around that by using pictures instead of terms a few pages ago. My standard does not include zygotes. If I were pedantic and was only using biological terms in this ethical debate, I wouldn't say "all humans have a right to life". So what??
:confused:
What is the very first stage of human development? I feel that all humans should have legal protection from the very beginning of their development.

It's neither a linguistic argument nor an empty one.

Yes, we're having a semantic disconnect because we are unable to agree on what a zygote is. However, if you answer the question "What is the very first stage of human development?", then we'll see if what we label it really matters.

I don't think it does (why I avoid "person" etc) but we have to call it something.

You asked how they are finally killed - and that is done by human intervention.

Just like with abortion. This is why I reject your comparison. If we let nature run it's course, the brain dead human dies, while the zygote lives.

Something isn't "good" or "ethical" simply because it is natural, and something isn't "bad" or "evil" simply because it is artificial.

Simply noting that an umbilical cord is natural and a feeding tube is artificial doesn't really say much.

I never argued either but hopefully you now understand my point and can see why it was a bad comparison from the start.

Fair enough, we are splitting hairs at this point.
We value their consent regarding the use of their body - and that trumps the right to life of those who want to use their body without consent.

Yet you reject the need for bodily consent for the one being killed in an abortion (until week X), whereas I don't think any "bodily consent" should ever trump a right to life.

Another relevant question - when can consent (regarding the continuous use of your body) be rescinded?

I don't feel such consent should ever be an issue (in regard to pregnancy), obviously. It should never be able to be rescinded.

I am not making an argument effecting 100% of pregnant rape victims, nor 100% of all unwilling mothers.

Rather, you are making an argument against 100% of unborn only X weeks developed or less. I am arguing for them.

Yet, if the woman doesn't realize until the 26(?)+/- week then you'll use the same fundamental arguments about the woman not having bodily sovereignty. But of course, you're not devaluing all women when you make nearly identical arguments nor are you removing moral standing when you argue that a rape victim beyond this arbitrary line can not abort.
The case you mentioned is an extremely rare/far fetched corner case, and doesn't have a lot of inference on the general case. I value women's sovereignty over their body, and even more so rape victim's and for 99.99% of cases, it should trump other concerns.

Yet, the pro-choice camp in general uses 3% to argue for allowing the other 97%. Rape, incest and life of mother cases are the extremely rare/far-fetched corner cases but somehow these do have a lot of inference on the general cases, especially on my side of the pond.

Zygotes are brainless, which is what I was targeting in that statement. Using our general sensibilities, it is so patently obvious that they are not persons that any pro-lifer clinging on to that argument are in a bind.

This isn't a gotcha moment. :)

I know, but you were being imprecise again :p

Further, it's a good thing that I am not arguing "general sensibilities" regarding "persons" because it's a bandwagon argument saved for a more philosophical discussion. ;)

WizardofOz

Of those fifty million how many are you acquainted with; how many of those mother's circumstances do you know, understand; if saved, how many of those fifty million lives will remain sacred to you years down the road; how many of those lives will you keep up with and see whether your efforts were successful in saving a bright new life or in vain; or will you simply move on to the next fifty mil?

An individual who is pro-life cannot personally get to know every mother, her circumstance and baby saved if abortion was illegal, "therefore, abortion must remain legal".

JoyfulRook

I didn't say I wouldn't look at it, in detail. I don't have time right at this moment (though I did look at one of the articles). All the Chilean article said was maternal mortality was decreasing because of education sanitation etc. But Maternal mortality from illegal abortion was still very high in Chile, about a third of all deaths until relatively recently. It's thought the lowered death rate is due partly to improved practices by illegal abortion providers and increased use of contraception.

Problem is "personhood" groups tend to want to eliminate many common forms of contraception, removing one of the ways out of abortion.

In any case I'll check the rest of his citations in detail when I get time.
Chile's abortion-related mortality has seen upwards of a 90% reduction since they prohibited abortion in 1989. That means that fewer woman are dying today due to abortion-related deaths than they were when abortion was legal in Chile.
fetchObject.action

In 2008, Chile ranked 2nd in the Americas (behind Canada) in terms of maternal mortality (as evaluated by the WHO, UN, UNICEF).

The article makes a big deal of Ireland's low maternal mortality. Ireland does have a very restrictive abortion law, but the UK is a short ferry ride away. Any woman who wants an abortion can go to Liverpool or Cardiff and have a safe, professional abortion in a clean hospital for as little as 400 GBP. Ireland outsources its abortion demand, and so avoids developing a backstreet industry.
British hospitals and abortion providers are required to report whether an abortion is done to "save the life of the mother" to the Department of Health. A comprehensive study of all abortions performed in Britain on Irish woman over the last 20 years reveals that there is not a single case of an abortion being performed on an Irish woman to "save her life."

The idea that Britain is an abortion "safety-valve" keeping Ireland's maternal mortality rate low is simply pro-choice propaganda.

quip

BANNED
Banned
An individual who is pro-life cannot personally get to know every mother, her circumstance and baby saved if abortion was illegal, "therefore, abortion must remain legal".

Yet, you have no problem interfering in the choices/lives of people, the vast majority of which, you'll never know...let alone deign to understand their particular situation which fomented their desire for choice.

Christian Liberty

Yet, you have no problem interfering in the choices/lives of people, the vast majority of which, you'll never know...let alone deign to understand their particular situation which fomented their desire for choice.

So murder is OK because the victim can't speak for himself and nobody else cares?

Nope: its still murder, and I think execution of the person who commits murder is completely justified.

If government isn't going to protect the unborn, at least get rid of it entirely...

If you're going to have a government, it darn well better protect the unborn.

If not, at least get out of the way and allow people like Scott Roeder to keep them in check unmolested...

WizardofOz

You have no problem interfering in the lives of strangers either once the growing human is (insert arbitrary line in the sand) weeks old.

If the fetus is past your arbitrarily rationalized point of development, you have no problem interfering in the choices/lives of people, the vast majority of which, you'll never know...let alone deign to understand their particular situation which fomented their desire for choice.

You could effectively debate yourself on the issue depending on what side your teeter-totter is sitting.

quip

BANNED
Banned
You have no problem interfering in the lives of strangers either once the growing human is (insert arbitrary line in the sand) weeks old.

If the fetus is past your arbitrarily rationalized point of development, you have no problem interfering in the choices/lives of people, the vast majority of which, you'll never know...let alone deign to understand their particular situation which fomented their desire for choice.

You could effectively debate yourself on the issue depending on what side your teeter-totter is sitting.

No, "my" side of the teeter totter is weighed down by the physical facts of the abortion scenario....not mawkish babblings.

WizardofOz

No, "my" side of the teeter totter is weighed down by the physical facts of the abortion scenario....not mawkish babblings.

What "facts"?

Your post was a red herring. You have no problem interfering in the lives of strangers.

quip

BANNED
Banned
So murder is OK because the victim can't speak for himself and nobody else cares?

Nope: its still murder, and I think execution of the person who commits murder is completely justified.

If government isn't going to protect the unborn, at least get rid of it entirely...

If you're going to have a government, it darn well better protect the unborn.

If not, at least get out of the way and allow people like Scott Roeder to keep them in check unmolested...

Yes, the issue of abortion is one of those rare situations where the conservative actually gets to showcase their bleeding-heart mentality. How utterly ironic don't you think...somewhat too ironic? Makes the average liberal wonder whether such conservative concern is actually fighting for the lives of the unborn...or rather propagating their own moral agenda? :think: Otherwise, read my response to Oz. ^^

WizardofOz

You know...the other human being in the abortion equation, the one who's womb carries the unborn concern! :idea:

Another red herring. You'll gladly force the woman to carry the baby to term if the fetus is past your arbitrary line in the sand.