"Therefore, Abortion Must Remain Legal"

Alate_One

You're one sick individual. Have you zero capacity for compassion and empathy?
You can't empathize with a cell.

Empathy is the capacity to recognize emotions that are being experienced by another sentient or fictional being.

Single cells can't have nervous systems, brains, senses of touch or pain response. You know, things you can normally use for empathy. If you're empathizing with a single cell, you're empathizing with a fictional, non-existent being conjured by your mind.

I can empathize with this:

Protecting those, actually makes sense and is far more enforceable.

The conception of a baby is a billion miles from a skin cell.
Not really. They both have complete human DNA. They both have all of the instructions necessary to create a new human being. The only difference is the physiological state of the two. We've already turned skin cells into baby sheep, goats, cows, cats, dogs, pigs, mules etc. And we've turned human skin cells into pluripotent stem cells.

A baby is however a million miles from a fertilized egg, millions and millions of cell division and differentiation give an *actual* unborn baby the capacity to feel and respond to the world. You demean actual babies by lumping single cells in with them.

Alate_One

:mock: late one....speaking of hell bound perverts.

Matthew 7

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Alate_One

The conception of a baby is a billion miles from a skin cell.

Only two of these would have any capacity to develop into a baby. If they're really a "billion miles" different, you should be able to tell the difference.

zygote.jpg

triploidembryo.jpg

M1320917-Skin_cancer_cell,_SEM-SPL.jpg

1154182.jpg

Do you feel empathy for the three polar bodies, sitting right next to the egg cell that will never have a chance to be fertilized?

LKmommy

It is his arbitrary selection. He would kill all those that honor God if he could. Yes, I just said that. Alwight is a God hating pervert.

Thank you for making it clear. I had to just see it for myself and now I know. I will not waste my pearls.

alwight

It is his arbitrary selection. He would kill all those that honor God if he could. Yes, I just said that. Alwight is a God hating pervert.
Christians are expected to kill non-believers apparently so what then would be so wrong in principle vice versa if I really did want to kill Christians?:think:
If I stoned Christians to death then that would be even better perhaps, more righteous even?
Do it to them before they do it to me?
Then I could get on with my perversion of hating something I don't believe exists in peace. :idea:

Anyway, back to your typical pleasantries Nick, and back to when you were just a zygote, when two others had already perhaps failed in your place, if only one of them had just managed to... never mind what's done is done, but clear evidence for me that God doesn't exist certainly.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Christians are expected to kill non-believers apparently so what then would be so wrong in principle vice versa if I really did want to kill Christians?:think:
If I stoned Christians to death then that would be even better perhaps, more righteous even?
Do it to them before they do it to me?
Then I could get on with my perversion of hating something I don't believe exists in peace. :idea:

Anyway, back to your typical pleasantries Nick, and back to when you were just a zygote, when two others had already perhaps failed in your place, if only one of them had just managed to... never mind what's done is done, but clear evidence for me that God doesn't exist certainly.

Where do you get that Christians are expected to kill non believers?

quip

BANNED
Banned
You're simply overestimating the conclusions that may be gleaned from the exercise. I am not stating that a zygote is necessarily equal to a newborn as far as worth, just as I would save a child before I would save an old man, even one with less physical ability.

Then you understand the gist of this hypothetical. At this point, that's all I ask.

Shall we then conclude that the elderly should be killed arbitrarily for the sake of convenience? Of course not.

The human zygote has worth; worth to have it's liberty and right to life given legal consideration against being killed electively.

Of course a zygote has worth. It is given legal consideration (protection) under certain context.

Which someone chooses to rescue from a burning building does not define the implicit value of a being but rather pits two beings against one another in an effort to determine which being possesses the greater value to the individual making the arbitrary determination.

It's a needless, fight to the death, gladiator style exercise that defines nothing other than the worth of one being relative to that of another.

The hypothetical effectively demonstrates the defining intuition we all hold regarding the respective values of the two entities.

Would you save the zygotes if the building was otherwise empty and no harm would come to you during your attempt?

The above is a more apt hypothetical. When an abortion is performed, another being isn't necessarily saved in the process. Abortion is even worse as effort must be made to destroy life whereas in the hypothetical, effort must be made to preserve life.

Again, you're losing focus. The idea of this hypothetical was to juxtapose one idea of human worth against the other for purposes of value determination. Not as a stand alone case for abortion per se.

The women are identical in all facets save the pregnancy. Which do you save and why?

I understand your hesitation. You'll have to concede that even a zygote has worth, even to someone otherwise not it any way vested in it's survival.
I did not hesitate...I told you my reasons. It seems you're fishing for a specific answer here when none is to be necessarily had.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
2 Chronicles 15:13 "That whosoever would not seek the LORD God of Israel should be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman."

2 Chronicles is now a new testament book in your opinion?

Lets try again, where does CHRISTIANITY, teach that we should kill non believers?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You can't empathize with a cell.
And yet plenty of mothers would be devastated to learn they had conceived and subsequently lost their baby. And don't pull the nasty "they could never know" rubbish again. You can clearly read the conditional.

You're a heartless cow.

Protecting those, actually makes sense and is far more enforceable.
Nobody is arguing with you.

Not really.
Skin cells and zygotes are "not really" worlds apart in your mind because you're dedicated to the idea that women should be allowed to terminate their unborn children. You endorse this even for babies you concede are people. So you can get off your high horse about the stance we take against newly conceived babies. Your ranting is the ranting of a hypocrite.

They both have complete human DNA.
Whose DNA? The first is the DNA of an adult. Whose DNA is the other?

They both have all of the instructions necessary to create a new human being.
One already is a new human being. Or perhaps you can tell us what needs to be added in order to turn a zygote into a person. All that needs to be added is nutrition and time.

You demean actual babies by lumping single cells in with them.
And you kill those that you confess are babies.

mighty_duck

Thank you Mighty Duck for telling me where to donate....
I didn't tell you where to donate. I simply point to the inconsistency between your stated position and your actions.

You appear to be a compassionate individual, who donates to worthy causes, and would fight the greatest epidemic humanity has ever faced.
In the past decade alone, 3 billion natural miscarriages occurred.
Your stated position is that zygotes are babies.
So, using your own view, natural miscarriages are the greatest epidemic humanity has ever faced. Killing twice as many people as AIDS, Cancer, starvation, abortion, wars, heart disease, and countless others combined.

If you really felt that zygotes are people, you would be doing everything in your power to fight this epidemic.

PS. I have had a miscarriage so your above paragraph is way out of line with whre my morals are and where you "think" they should be. I have also had TWO very very premature babies because of MY body.
I'm sorry to hear that.

I donate often to March of Dimes AND I do the annual event walk and have every year since my first was born minus the period it fell when I was pregnant on bed rest..... Is that satisfactory enough for you?
The March of Dimes is a good charity, and I have also given them in the past. Part of what makes it good is the balance it gives between pre and post natal care, research in to birth defects, etc.

But it is hardly an organization focused mainly on reducing the number of natural miscarriages - most of which happen before the woman even knows she has a fertilized egg inside of her. I'd be surprised if 5% of its effort were focused there - the real number is probably under 1%.

That doesn't make it "immoral" or anything else you think I'm trying to pin on you.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Only two of these would have any capacity to develop into a baby. If they're really a "billion miles" different, you should be able to tell the difference.Do you feel empathy for the three polar bodies, sitting right next to the egg cell that will never have a chance to be fertilized?

Alate can't tell the difference between cancer cells and newly conceived babies. This justifies her support of this:

Spoiler
Not for the faint hearted. Here lies a baby torn apart at 20 weeks. Alate endorses the mother's "right" to do this to her child.

WizardofOz

A skin cell is not an organism. A zygote is.
What makes it so? (aside from your declaration).

"organism (ôrg-nzm)
An individual form of life that is capable of growing, metabolizing nutrients, and usually reproducing. Organisms can be unicellular or multicellular. They are scientifically divided into five different groups (called kingdoms) that include prokaryotes, protists, fungi, plants, and animals, and that are further subdivided based on common ancestry and homology of anatomic and molecular structures."-- Free Dictionary.com

zygote
"The single-celled organism that results from the joining of the egg and sperm."-- Planned Parenthood

" The sperm and egg merge to form a little single-celled organism called a zygote, which consists of the 23 chromosomes from the man's sperm and the 23 chromosomes from the female's egg. These chromosomes will determine the baby's hair color, eye color and whether the baby will be a boy or a girl."-How Stuff Works

"2) zygote : fertilized egg; one-celled organism;"--Oaklahoma School of Math and Science

You're a biologist. Why the disbelief? You don't consider a zygote an organism? :think:

A zygote is a single-celled organism, your incredulity aside.

I am surprised that you are even calling this fact into question.
Alate_One said:
The human body is the entire structure of a human organism, and consists of a head, neck, torso, two arms and two legs. By the time the human reaches adulthood, the body consists of close to 100 trillion cells, the basic unit of life. These cells are organized biologically to eventually form the whole body.
A quadruple amputee is a human with an incomplete body much like the embryo is a human with an underdeveloped body.
Apples to oranges. A zygote is one cell. A quadruple amputee has a nervous, skeletal excretory system etc. A zygote has none of those, it's one undifferentiated cell.

I was simply showing you why your cut and paste was not applicable to the discussion.

The limbs aren't what makes a person, this is settled law. However, someone that is "brain dead" while having a complete body may not be considered to be a person anymore.

It's already done so that we can tell a dead body from a live human. It's required to deal with biological life.

Also not applicable to the discussion. A zygote isn't dead. It is very much a living human organism.

Again a toenail isn't a good analogy since it isn't a cell, it IS a part of a whole in a much clearer sense than a single cell.

But a skin cell is whole as well, complete and capable of cell division. You understand that you can take cells a few cell divisions after a zygote and form multiple people from it?

A skin cell is still a piece of a whole, regardless of what science can do with it. Again, composition. A zygote is the underdeveloped whole. A skin cell is a piece of the whole.

It's instructions to build a whole. All of the mass and energy to build the rest of the whole must come from outside of the zygote. A skin cell has all of those same instructions as the zygote, the only another difference is the physiological state.

Exactly! Stop trying to equate a skin cell with a zygote. If you put a skin cell into the womb what could possibly occur? Now, if you place a zygote in a womb, what could possibly occur?

A zygote is a A) new organism B) a whole organism
A skin cell is neither of the above.

What do you define as an embryo?

The following works for me:

A zygote or a zygocyte is the original cell that comes to creation when a new organism is formed through sexual reproduction. A zygote is formed from the synthesis resulting out of the union of the two distinctive gametes. On the other hand the embryo is the mutlicellular diploid eukaryote in one of the early stages of development. The eukaryote is termed as the embryo, in humans, 8 weeks past the fertilization.

While still fairly arbitrary (7 weeks, 6 days, 23 hours, and 59 seconds vs. 8 weeks) let's conduct another red herring test.

Would you support legislation outlawing all abortion after the 8th week? If not, debating what a zygote is or isn't is a distraction. We should start with why you think an embryo is not worthy of legal protection from elective abortion.

WizardofOz

The question is not whether you are "pro life" or "pro choice" because in the real world young women have already clearly demonstrated that they will continue to seek abortions - irrespective of whether they have been crimminalized by the state or not.

The only real question is whether these women have access to "safe" abortions using proper medical proceedures - or will they be forced to undergo the other kind.

The irony is that countries with the lowest rates of abortion (Western Europe) are in nations where it is readily available. The one determing factor in establishing low abortion rates appears to be ease of access to contraception.

Given that America already has 4% of the world's population and 25% of its prison population, just how many millions of young American women would the "pro-life" supporters be prepared to incarcerate - if Roe v Wade were to be repealed?
If criminalising abortions removes any possibility of legal counselling to women unwillingly pregnant, then fewer will be persuaded to continue to delivery. The abortion count will go up along with maternal fatality rates.

In this case, while making abortion illegal might help campaigners to salve their own consciences, suffering and death will have increased.

Which is the lesser of these two evils?

1. Accepting the legality of abortion, but gain the ability to try and properly counsel women as to future choices, reducing abortions. (as happened in Romania)
2. Abandon any controls by pushing women to back street abortions or going abroad, but sit back back with the warm glow that you have tried and failed? (as happens in Ireland)

Some people will always choose to break the law. This really says nothing about the merit of that law.

Over a million abortions a year in the United States and 96% are elective; not due to rape, incest or life of the mother.

Too many are using abortion as birth control.
Countries that "WizardofOz" would have America join in its approach to abortion - a rather select group!

Completely irrelevant to the specifics of the discussion. Turning a bandwagon fallacy on hits head does not make the argument any less fallacious.

mighty_duck

You're a biologist. Why the disbelief? You don't consider a zygote an organism? :think:
A skin cell is still a piece of a whole, regardless of what science can do with it. Again, composition. A zygote is the underdeveloped whole. A skin cell is a piece of the whole.
Quick question. After the zygote has split several times, and is made up of 8 or 16 undifferentiated cells, are each of these cells a person/organism?

If you remove one of them, it can grow in to an identical twin. If a removed cell reattaches to the blastocyst (or whatever it is called at that point), it can grow as part of the original organism.

I thought determining personhood based on location was a big no-no. No?

WizardofOz

I disagree since I think what I said does follow. If contraception failed then the intent was nevertheless not become pregnant. If you had your way then no remedial action after such an unwanted conception could then be allowed, effectively imo adding to a possibly routine sex act a perceived layer of unwarranted worries and extra risk, but anyway the real point is, if it is not immoral to use contraception then afaic it is not immoral to take action if and when it fails, belt and braces so to speak.

I don't oppose condoms (contraceptive). If a condom breaks and the woman gets pregnant I must accept abortion because I accept condom use?

Big non-sequiter there, I'm afraid.

I think you are simply making more consequences than there need be.

I am not really "making any consequences". Pregnancy is the consequence of having sex. The consequence already exists. Not to mention, you are in favor of the same laws I am, I am simply interested in sliding the timescale.

You support and oppose abortion. I am simply more consistent in my opposition. :p

You seem to miss the point that it isn’t a switch that just turns on, it’s hard to know and we may all disagree exactly when, but my point was that there is no “person” just after conception, can we agree that much?

Define "person". I am avoiding the term for reasons already given. Mainly, if I disagree with your definition we're not going to progress this aspect of the discussion as you will likely be just as hesitant to accept mine.

A zygote/embryo/fetus is a living human. That is really an indisputable scientific fact.

As I mentioned in my response to Alate, even a zygote is a living organism and that organism is classified as human.

I would rather stick with what is factually/scientifically indisputable.

I never said that, I was simply saying that before a proto-CNS we, or maybe only I, could feel safe.

There is no conclusion that can be taken from your view after the development of the CNS? If not, there is no point in suggesting it be used as a marker of any kind even as one for yourself alone.

Mainly I don’t agree that a polarised law is actually helpful when dealing with each specific case with its own particular circumstances.

In other words, an abortion after the 24th week could be justifiable in some cases but not others?

I am open to hearing your situations where it could be versus where it is not.

I don’t generally disagree with your principles here while medical ethics dictates that first they must do no harm (Primum non nocere). In practice that doesn’t always work very well particularly in surgery where some harm is pretty much inevitable. Arguably however unnecessarily prolonging life is sometimes doing harm too, so again there is some scope for a range of very different honest opinions afaic, depending on each case.

Elective abortion is doing harm, needlessly to boot.

Yes but this doesn’t actually help us with trying to solve the problem of what is the best course of action for each case, you seem rather less keen to find ways to make an honest human choice based on all the facts than you are to have a fixed penalty in place for those who find themselves pregnant when they didn’t want to be.

If the pregnancy is not the result of rape, incest or life of the mother, how can an abortion be the best course of action?

Especially over, say, adoption? :think:

I was surprised to learn that the US had abortion on demand.

What wrong with that?

When it is a living human person, no I can’t exactly define when that is.

No one can, that's the problem. Or, no two people can collectively. ;)
Because the definition is largely philosophical in nature.

I think zygotes at least are expendable, while later on at some point I will probably conclude otherwise. Do you not have an opinion yourself?

Obviously, I don't think they should be viewed as expendable.

WizardofOz

Special pleading

Special pleading

Ok. But consenting to the possibility of pregnancy is not the same as consenting to carry a baby a term.

It already is, albeit after the 24th week. If a woman had no idea she was pregnant and only finds out 24 weeks after having sex did she consent to carry a child full term? Does it matter? Nope.

Why should it prior to the 24th week if it is irrelevant after?

Special pleading perhaps?
- You accept that all women should not be forced to carry a fetus full term without their consent.

- Although she does not want to consent to carry her fetus full term, you feel that a woman in the 25th week of pregnancy should be forced to carry her fetus to term without consent.

While you have a point about prescribed responsibility, you ignored mine. The law stops at bodily sovereignty - there are never consequences for refusing to give others access to your body.

See above. If a woman doesn't discover that she is pregnant until 24 weeks after engaging in consensual sex, can she refuse to give others access to her body?

Nope. Why is it different before the 24th week? This is just more special pleading.

So, as you can see, there certainly are consequences for refusing to give her 25-week-old fetus access to her body. Aborting after this point is criminal.

I agree that there is a double standard here.

:cheers:

There is a risk with every medical procedure - but that is no reason to deny that decision to the person undergoing the procedure.

More special pleading. You are OK with denying the decision to the person undergoing the procedure after point X.

It should be the mother's decision which risks she is willing to accept and which she isn't in her own body. Not yours. Not mine.

Unless she is more than 24 weeks along in her pregnancy.

She had 6 months to weigh the decision. That is a reasonable amount of time to decide. And again, I don't look at it in a vacuum or in absolute terms.

Should exceptions be made for a woman who claims to been unaware of her pregnancy? It occurs often enough to devote an entire television show to the phenomenon.

No right is absolute. Not bodily sovereignty. Not the right to life.
The circumstances are important, and looking at them in isolation is a bad way to determine justice.

This is needlessly vague. We have discussed the circumstances of the 96% versus the 4%.

When are the 96% of cases justified after week 24?

Which is why the "personhood" aspect of the abortion debate should never be where the conversation begins. And, due to what you have observed, it will likely never be where the debate is resolved.

There is such a large amount of ambiguity involved in such philosophical debates, which inherently revolve around semantics.

I am not shifting the problem. I want to lay a foundation before installing the front door.
I don't think you're laying any kind of foundation. Instead you're laying down a layer of sand and calling it a foundation - it will break the second you try to build anything substantial on top of it. :dead:

We agree on the biological facts.

We disagree on the subjective value claims. Without an agreement on value, you won't be able to build any argument.

Feel free to define "personhood". But, when the next individual disagrees with your assessment, then what?

WizardofOz

You're simply overestimating the conclusions that may be gleaned from the exercise. I am not stating that a zygote is necessarily equal to a newborn as far as worth, just as I would save a child before I would save an old man, even one with less physical ability.
Then you understand the gist of this hypothetical. At this point, that's all I ask.

What exactly is the point then? The hero saves a person from a burning building instead of a Petri dish full of zygotes, therefore, what?

A person might grab a bag full of a million dollars rather than the bag full of $999,999. Therefore the second bag is worthless and should be discarded?

The hypothetical fails because it does nothing to determine the actual worth of what got left behind other than in (subjective) relation to what was saved.

It really has nothing to do with abortion or defining the value of a zygote/embryo/fetus.

Of course a zygote has worth. It is given legal consideration (protection) under certain context.

Under what context are you referring to?

The hypothetical effectively demonstrates the defining intuition we all hold regarding the respective values of the two entities.

Yet, not everyone shares the same intuition and the hypothetical does nothing to define what it sets out to.

Would you save the zygotes if the building was otherwise empty and no harm would come to you during your attempt?

The above is a more apt hypothetical. When an abortion is performed, another being isn't necessarily saved in the process. Abortion is even worse as effort must be made to destroy life whereas in the hypothetical, effort must be made to preserve life.
Again, you're losing focus. The idea of this hypothetical was to juxtapose one idea of human worth against the other for purposes of value determination. Not as a stand alone case for abortion per se.

The hypothetical does nothing to determine value. That's my point.

I countered by offering a hypothetical that would be quite applicable to abortion (the topic of the thread) and you conveniently declare that I am "losing focus".

Try this scenario:
You have two women in a burning building and both of equal physical ability.
One just found out she was pregnant
You only have time to save one.

Which would you save and why?

The women are identical in all facets save the pregnancy. Which do you save and why?

I understand your hesitation. You'll have to concede that even a zygote has worth, even to someone otherwise not it any way vested in it's survival.
I did not hesitate...I told you my reasons. It seems you're fishing for a specific answer here when none is to be necessarily had.

:sigh:

I guess you're only here to discuss your hypothetical despite me offering you two of my own that seem to apply to the actual topic of abortion.

They're there if you want to give them a shot. But again, I understand your hesitation. :p