THERE IS AN ADVANTAGE TO NOT TRUST IN OSAS.

LoneStar

Paul didn't write the book of Hebrews.

2Th 3:17 The salutation of Paul with mine own hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write.

Rom 1:1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle
1Co 1:1 Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ
2Co 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ
Gal 1:1 Paul, an apostle
Eph 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ
Php 1:1 Paul and Timotheus, the servants of Jesus Christ
Col 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ
1Th 1:1 Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians
2Th 1:1 Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians
1Ti 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ
2Ti 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ
Tit 1:1 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ,
Phm 1:1 Paul, a prisoner of Jesus Christ,

What is missing in the opening verse of Hebrews?

Heb 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
What is missing is that it was from Paul.

fzappa13

2Th 3:17 The salutation of Paul with mine own hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write.

Heb 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

So, who do you think the author of Hebrews was?

fzappa13

As no one has come forward to argue for who did pen Hebrews, only offering suggestions that Paul did not. Let me offer what I have seen that makes me think he did. Setting aside for the moment that, in the King James anyway, this chapter is entitled The Epistle of Paul The Apostle to the Hebrews; let's have a look at what can be gleaned from scripture on the subject.

That Paul wrote an Epistle to the Hebrews would seem to be beyond question in that Peter indicates that he did:

2Pet 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Here we have Peter, whom scripture establishes as residing in Jerusalem and teaching there (presumably Hebrews), referring to an epistle written by Paul to his audience and gives it a separate mention and consideration from Paul's other epistles while noting their commonality and applicability to his audience. It is interesting to note he speaks in the singular of this epistle. This is important in that there is no record of Paul having written more than one such epistle to Peter's audience if Peter' audience was indeed Hebrew.

So the question isn't whether or not Paul wrote an Epistle to the Hebrews but whether or not the one contained in the Bible was the one penned by him. In that we have no record of him having written more than one and no Apostles save him and Peter having addressed in writing the Hebrews as a people it would seem reasonable that the epistle in question is the one spoken of by Peter. If it were not that would mean that Paul's Epistle to the Hebrews did not survive to be included in the Bible and some as of yet to be identified person did write the one in question. I know of no reputable source arguing such a position with any plausibility. In addition, the author's life experience as related in Hebrews mirrors that of Paul's in detail. All things considered, I think the preponderance of what evidence there is argues for Paul being the author of Hebrews. To argue otherwise for the lack of what some consider a proper salutation with out any other evidence is, I think, treading on very thin ice, hermeneutically speaking, for no good reason.

heir

TOL Subscriber

:up:

musterion

I'm one of those crazies that thinks the intended application of Hebrews is to a group both past and yet future to us, but not to us. And I'm okay with that. :)

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

Amen

fzappa13

:darwinsm:

4 1/2 hours of silence and then all 4 of you post back to back completely avoiding what I posted.

fzappa13

If, after 4 1/2 hours of cogitation, the four of you couldn't put together one cogent response to what I offered then it doesn't speak well of your faith.

musterion

I ask again: what was it you asked? If you could post it in one line because my attention spa oh look a spider's crawling on my wall.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Without OSAS they can get that "get saved" feeling everyday, sometimes twice in one day ! No limits
They can't get through to God anymore than we could without Christ getting through to God for us! Romans 3:21-22 KJV, Romans 4:25 KJV, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV, 2 Corinthians 5:19 KJV, 2 Corinthians 5:21 KJV

OCTOBER23

GROSBICK,

DO YOU EVER PRAY OR HAVE TO PRAY AND ASK GOD FOR FORGIVENESS?

DO YOU DENY YOURSELF AND TRY HARD TO OVERCOME YOUR WEAKNESSES?

I really want to know.