The Wonderful Dispensation of Grace

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
The Bible shows us that we are in the Dispensation of the Grace of God in Eph 3:2 if indeed you have heard of the Dispensation of the Grace of God which was given to me for you. According to Eph 1:3, we see that God wants to pour out spiritual blessings on us Christians. For Christians, we see that these blessings are accomplished by the Father. Eph 1:3 “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ.”

But, it goes further. God chose us, corporately, in Christ. Whether this corporation was foreknown as a corporation or as individuals, is debatable. Eph 1:4 “in as much as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world.”

First, what does “chose,” mean?

This word in the Greek can be translated I select, or I choose. So the first thing we should know, is Jesus Christ is the selected one. Christ is the one in and by whom the Father accomplished His blessings. Isaiah 42:1 prophesied: “Behold! My Servant whom I uphold, My Elect One in whom My soul delights! I have put My Spirit upon Him; He will bring forth justice to the Gentiles.” Christ was chosen to be the redeemer, not just for Israel, but also for Gentiles.

The Body of Christ was a mystery, hidden in God until He revealed it to the Apostle Paul. Eph 3:1-9 For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for you Gentiles - 2 if indeed you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which was given to me for you, 3 how that by revelation He made known to me the mystery (as I have briefly written already, 4 by which, when you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ), 5 which in other ages was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets: 6 that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, of the same body, and mutual partakers of His promise in Christ through the gospel, 7 of which I became a minister according to the gift of the grace of God given to me by the effective working of His power. 8 To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, 9 and to make all see what is the dispensation of the mystery, which has been hidden from the ages in God who created all things through Jesus Christ.

Colossians reiterates this: Col 1:24-27 I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions for Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church, 25&26 of which I became a minister according to the dispensation of God which was given to me for you, to complete the word of God, the mystery, which has been hidden from the ages and from the generations, but now has been revealed to His saints. 27 To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ among you, the hope of glory.

Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Getting back to Eph 1:3-14, first, the whole passage: “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, 5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, 6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He has made us accepted in the Beloved. 7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace 8 which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence, 9 having made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself, 10 that in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth--in Him. 11 In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will, 12 that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory. 13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.

When we look at it more closely, I believe the election of men is only in Christ. When a person yields to the prompting of the Holy Spirit and believes that Christ died for him, then, he becomes a member of Christ’s body, the church. Outside of Christ, according to the Bible, there is no election of anyone. In Eph 1:4, God chose us in Christ. In verse 5, God gave the predestinated adoption to us. In verse 11, God definitely showed that we are inheritors in Christ. In verse 13, God sealed us in Christ. Therefore, we see love and blessings here, not fatalism.

So, we are chosen and sealed because we believed in Christ. Eph 1:4,12,13 “just as He chose us in Him 12 that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory. 13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise.”

He didn’t choose us to be saved. He wants all to be saved, 1 Tim 2:3-6 “For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who wills all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.”

He chose us to be holy and blameless. [/b]Eph 1:4 “He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, to be holy and without blame before Him in love.” He chose everyone who would believe in Christ to be holy and blameless.[/b]

Christ paid with His life. He made it certain with predestination. Eph 1:5 “having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will. And He did all this by His grace. Eph 1:6 “to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He has made us accepted in the Beloved.

So, God’s election is not to salvation. It is to perfection because we are in Christ. It is for our eternal security. We who trust in Christ as our Savior have this security. This is a spiritual blessing for the body of Christ alone.

Now, in verse 5, what is God’s will? I believe we can break God’s will down into 3 scriptural categories. His intentional will (thelayma), His circumstantial will (thelayma), and His ultimate, or determinate will or counsel (boulay).

When we look at His intentional will, the first thing we should see is this. We were created for His will (pleasure). The question we must keep in mind here, is: do we ever thwart God’s intentional will?

Rev 4:11 “You are worthy, O Lord, To receive glory and honor and power; For You created all things, and by Your will they exist and were created.” Next, as part of this, He wants us all to love Him.

Mk 12:30,31 “And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength. This is the first commandment. 31 And the second, like it, is this: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these.”

1 Co 16:22 “If anyone does not love the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be accursed. O Lord, come!

Then, He wants us all to love one another.” John 13:34 “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.”

1 Th 4:9,10 “But concerning brotherly love you have no need that I should write to you, for you yourselves are taught by God to love one another; 10 and indeed you do so toward all the brethren who are in all Macedonia. But we urge you, brethren, that you increase more and more.

Remember the question we must keep in mind here: do we ever thwart God’s intentional will?

In answer, we see that He wills all to be saved. 1 Tim 2:4 “who wills all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.” But, because man totally rebelled against God, in order to receive salvation, man must believe God and do what He says for salvation.

Mat 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.”

Mat 12:50 “For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother.”

Heb 10:36 “For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise.”

For us in this dispensation of grace, His will is found in Acts 16:31, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved.”

Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
The next thing that we really see and often seem to not even care is this: His will is that we be holy.
1 Th 4:3-8 “For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should abstain from sexual immorality; 4 that each of you should know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor, 5 not in passion of lust, like the Gentiles who do not know God; 6 that no one should take advantage of and defraud his brother in this matter, because the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also forewarned you and testified. 7 For God did not call us to uncleanness, but in holiness. 8 Therefore he who rejects this does not reject man, but God, who has also given us His Holy Spirit.”

Do we thwart His will here?

What do you think?

In Christ,
Bob Hill

amosman

Dispensation is a dirty word in my book. It is an absolute lie that can easily be traced by those that care to do so. I think It may be one of the final three lies of Revelation chapter 16.

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
amosman,

I understand that you may not like the Bible, but this is Theology On Line, and it is produced by great Christians. Therefore, the Bible means a lot to them and to me.

God inspired Paul to write in Ephesians two long statements with the word dispensation in it. Read on!!!!

Eph 1:4-14 He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, 5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, 6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He has made us accepted in the Beloved. 7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace 8 which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence, 9 having made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself, 10 that in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth - in Him. 11 In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will, 12 that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory. 13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.

Eph 3:1-9 For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for you Gentiles – 2 if indeed you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which was given to me for you, 3 how that by revelation He made known to me the mystery (as I have briefly written already, 4 by which, when you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ), 5 which in other ages was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets: 6 that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, of the same body, and partakers of His promise in Christ through the gospel, 7 of which I became a minister according to the gift of the grace of God given to me by the effective working of His power. 8 To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, 9 and to make all see what is the dispensation of the mystery, which has been hidden from the ages in God who created all things through Jesus Christ.

Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Long before the Dispensation of Grace came into being, we find the activity of God the Son, who became the man Jesus Christ, creating the whole shebang.

Christ was not subject to any law when He spoke the universe into existence.

Psa 33:6 “By the word of the LORD the heavens were made, and all the host of them by the breath of His mouth.” John 1:3 “All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.”

This is amazing to us members of this Dispensation of Grace who believe.

Further, along with the Dispensation of Grace, we see that God dealt with man in many different ways over the centuries.

Bob Hill

lightninboy

Pastor Hill, is salvation today by grace through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ alone, or is salvation today by grace through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ plus doing the stuff you said people had to do before The Wonderful Dispensation of Grace? Why does only the one gospel and not the other gospel meet God's requirement?

http://www.faithalone.org/journal/2000ii/Haller.htm
http://www.faithalone.org/journal/2001i/dyer.html
http://www.faithalone.org/journal/2003i/bryant.html
http://www.faithalone.org/news/y1989/89feb3.html
http://www.faithalone.org/news/y1988/88june3.html
http://www.faithalone.org/news/y2004/wilkin3.html

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
lightinboy,

Are you suggesting that circumcision was optional for the believing Jew?

amosman

Bob Hill said:
amosman,

I understand that you may not like the Bible, but this is Theology On Line, and it is produced by great Christians. Therefore, the Bible means a lot to them and to me.

God inspired Paul to write in Ephesians two long statements with the word dispensation in it. Read on!!!!

Eph 1:4-14 He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, 5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, 6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He has made us accepted in the Beloved. 7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace 8 which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence, 9 having made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself, 10 that in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth - in Him. 11 In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will, 12 that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory. 13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.

Eph 3:1-9 For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for you Gentiles – 2 if indeed you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which was given to me for you, 3 how that by revelation He made known to me the mystery (as I have briefly written already, 4 by which, when you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ), 5 which in other ages was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets: 6 that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, of the same body, and partakers of His promise in Christ through the gospel, 7 of which I became a minister according to the gift of the grace of God given to me by the effective working of His power. 8 To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, 9 and to make all see what is the dispensation of the mystery, which has been hidden from the ages in God who created all things through Jesus Christ.

Bob Hill

G3622
οἰκονομία
oikonomia
oy-kon-om-ee'-ah
From G3623; administration (of a household or estate); specifically a (religious) “economy”: - dispensation, stewardship.

I have no problem with this word. I do have a problem with what men have made it out to mean. Men like Darby and Scofield.

How does God deal any different today with His people then He did in the past? Salvation has always been by grace through faith.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Amosman,

lightninboy

Yay, Clete, you showed up!

Clete said:
lightinboy,

Yes, it appears that I am suggesting that circumcision was optional for the believing Jew as far as everlasting life is concerned. I don't know much about the matter myself, but I'm going where God's Word leads me.

amosman

Clete said:
Amosman,

I said that salvation has always been by grace through faith. Circumcision had nothing to do with salvation. Paul makes this very clear that Abrahams faith was recond as righteous even before circumcision.

lightninboy

You must have the proper understanding of the Law:

The Big Lodge

WELL, when de Hebrew chilluns got safe across
de Red Sea and held a revival meetin', de Lawd
started 'em marchin' again.

"Y'all ain't hardly started twarg de Promise'
Land," de Lawd told Moses. "Ain't hardly got
started yit."

"Marchin' all day, Lawd," say Moses, "sho
does git tiresome. Hit's so stiddy."

"You got all night to rest up in, ain't you?"
say de Lawd.

"Restin' gits tiresome, too," say Moses. "Jest
marchin' and restin'."

"Well," say de Lawd, "I been sort of thinkin'
'bout organizin' a lodge to keep de folks occu-
pied endurin' between supper and bedtime."

"Already got a lodge," say Moses.

"Yeah?" say de Lawd. "What kind of
lodge?"

"Not much," say Moses. "Hit's mainly for de
young folks to sing and dance. Aaron organ-
ized hit."

"I don't like dat dancin', much," say de Lawd.
"I'm ag'in' hit."

"Hit ain't much lodge, Lawd," say Moses. "I
didn't jine. They don't even got a goat to initi-
ate de new members wid."

"Naw?" say de Lawd. "What do they initi-
ate wid?"

"A calf," say Moses. "A yearlin' calf."

"Well, I be doggone," say de Lawd. "And
chargin' dues, too, I bet."

"Course dey charges dues," say Moses.

"Well," say de Lawd, "I ain't aimin' to put up
wid dat kind of lodge among my people. A
calf! Well, I jest be dad blamed! Moses, you
go right out yonder and tell Aaron to turn dat
calf back in de pasture and break up dat lodge.

Do Y'all want a lodge, well, I'll organize one my
own se'f."

So Moses told Aaron what de Lawd say.

"Well," say Aaron, "hit ain't much lodge, but
hit's better den no lodge. But I guess you and
de Lawd ought to git out a purty good one."

"When I and de Lawd gits done organizin' our
lodge," say Moses, "you kin jest bet yo' bottom
dollar hit'll be a lodge, all right. A calf!
Humph!"

So Aaron turned de calf loose and Moses went
on over behind de cloud and told de Lawd.

" Moses," say de Lawd, "dis is gonter be a lodge
which'll be bigger and better den any lodge in
town. Hit's gonter be my lodge and I'm gonter
be de High Supreme Potentate my ownse'f and
all of my people is gonter be members."

"Lawd," say Moses, "how 'bout me bein' de
Inner Gyard?"

"Be anything you want to, Moses," say de
Lawd. "Potentate is my job 'cause hit's my lodge.
De members kin have de yuther jobs. I don't
keer who is what."

"What gonter be de password, Lawd?" say
Moses.

"Ain't no password," say de Lawd. "But
ev'ybody got to know de by-laws by heart."

"Dat's a funny kind of lodge, Lawd," say
Moses. "What is de dues?"

"Obeyin' de by-laws is all de dues you got to
pay," say de Lawd.

"How bout de goat to initiate de new mem-
bers wid?" say Moses.

"De lust man which breaks de by-laws," say
de Lawd, "I'm gonter make him wish he was a
goat."

"Sounds mighty mysterious," say Moses.
"What is de by-laws?"

"Set down and git yo' pencil and paper and
write 'em down whilst I says 'em off to you,"
say de Lawd.

"I ain't got no paper," say Moses, "nor neither
no pencil."

"Well, git a flat rock, den," say de Lawd, "and
scratch 'em on hit wid yo' pocket knife."

So Moses got a flat rock and his knife, and de
Lawd started sayin' off de by-laws.

"Lawd," say Moses, "dat sounds mighty like
de Ten Commandments."

"Dat's zackly what hit is," say de Lawd. "Jest
you scratch 'em down."

So Moses sot and scratched and de Lawd sot
and talked out de Ten Commandments.

"Dat all?" say Moses.

"Hit's a heap," say de Lawd. "Jest you make
ev'ybody learn 'em by heart and obey 'em. And
efn you don't has yo' hands full you kin write
me down as a sinner."

"And hit ain't no goat?" say Moses.

"De lust man which breaks 'em," say de Lawd,
"is gonter wish he wa'n't nothin' but a goat.
'Cause I'm gonter march him to his tongue
mighty nigh drags de ground. And den I ain't
gonter let him enter de Promise' Land."

Well, de more Moses thought about de Lawd's
idea for a lodge, de better he liked hit. "Oughter
be easy to keep de folks out of devilment in dis
lodge," he say. "And does ev'ybody stay out of
devilment, maybe de Lawd won't march us so
hard."

So Moses went on back to camp. But when
he got there he got mad, cause old Aaron had
done kotched dat calf again and had his calf
lodge goin' strong. Aaron would take a new
member and blindfold him and say, "Now bend
over and kiss de Bible." And about de time de
new member got bunt over good, de Inner Gyard

would turn dat calf loose at him. And ker-
blam! Hit's be a week before de new member
could set down again!

"You, Aaron!" hollered Moses. "I thought I
told you to stop dat fool calf lodge!"

"Yeah, you told me," say Aaron. "But you
ain't de Lawd round hyar."

"Well," say Moses, "I ain't de Lawd, but I'm
de Lawd's wawkin' boss."

"I ain't studdin' who you is," say Aaron. "Dis
is a good lodge and us is havin' a heap of fun.
Now jest drag yo'se'f on out, or I'll have de
Inner Gyard initiate you, jest like de rest of 'em."

"Adjourn dis lodge right now," say Moses, git-
tin' madder.

"Git him, Inner Gyard," say Aaron. And de
Inner Gyard started twarg Moses.

"Stand back," say Moses, "or I'll knock some-
body down." So de Inner Gyard stopped and
looked at Aaron.

"Git him," say Aaron. And he started at
Moses again.

So Moses up wid de rock which he'd writ de
Ten Commandments on, and ker-blip! De In-
ner Gyard thought lightnin' had done struck
him!

But dat wa'n't all. De Ten Commandment
rock bounced offn de Inner Gyard and tuck de
calf on de haid and kilt him, too, and den rolled
on de floor and busted. And about dat time
hit got dark and thundered and lightnined, and
de yearth shuck. And when things cleared up,
dar stood de Lawd.

"What's goin' on round hyar?" say de Lawd.

"Ain't nothin', Lawd," say Aaron. "Not
nothin' else onless you says."

So de Lawd turned to Moses. "Whar's my
Ten Commandments?" he says.

Moses p'inted to de floor.

"Well, I be doggone!" say de Lawd. "Done
broke ev'y one of 'em in one bunch," he say. "I
reckon dat's about de world's record."

"Hit was a accident," say Moses.

"Accident de dog's foot!" say de Lawd. "I
seed you th'ow 'em at de Inner Gyard. Come
yar tawkin' 'bout accidents to me! You jest drag
yo'se'f right back up de mountain and write
dem Ten Commandments down again, and git
back yar and start dis lodge."

Moses done jest like de Lawd say, but he never
lived to git to de Promise' Land, 'cause he busted
de Lawd's Ten Commandments.

http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=59507474

http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/rbradf.htm
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027700/combined

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
lightninboy wrote:

If Mid-Acts Dispensationalism is right, why wasn't Saul saved before his encounter with Jesus on the road to Damascus?

Because God was waiting until Israel rebelled before He started the Dispensation of Grace, with a new program of redemption that was to Gentiles as well as the Jews.

The Dispensation of Grace was hidden in God until He compelled Paul to understand who He was. When Paul believed, there was a turning point in God's program with the World.

Praise God,
Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
The Dispensation of Grace was a secret, hidden in God until He raised up the Apostle Paul and gave him a new message, a different gospel and dispensation from the one that He had given to Peter and the eleven, who preached the gospel of the circumcision.

Paul was given a dispensation that was a mystery, never revealed before, called the Dispensation of Grace.

1 Cor 9:17-18 For if I do this willingly, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have been entrusted with a dispensation. 18 What is my reward then? That when I preach the gospel, I may present the gospel of Christ without charge, that I may not abuse my authority in the gospel.

Eph 3:1-4 For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for you Gentiles; 2 if indeed you have heard of the Dispensation of the Grace of God which was given to me for you, 3 how that by revelation He made known to me the mystery as I have briefly written already, 4 by which, when you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ.

This tells all that is necessary to be saved in the Dispensation of Grace.

Bob Hill