The Three Requirements for Salvation

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Repenting of sin is one of the foundational principles of Christian maturity.

It depends on what one means by 'repent'. If it's the ridiculously rigid, guilt ridden idea of it- the way Catholicism tries to tie people down with, then :nono:

glorydaz

Your "new" list it nothing but an attempt to "change the subject".

It's hard to understand how you can believe that we should ASK FOR forgiveness that the Lord has already given. That is truly unbelief. Thanking Him FOR that forgiveness would be perfectly appropriate.

I can understand why we would ask the Lord to forgive us....even though we know we've been forgiven. When I do something I know I shouldn't have done, I ask for forgiveness for my failure to do what He's told me to do so many times in the past. It's an acknowledgment that this is one of those things for which His forgiveness was required to begin with.

Krsto

The scripture plainly says, "Unless you believe that I am he (God) you will die in your sins" John 8:24. Right out of the mouth of Jesus.

Salvation is and always will be and always has been by faith. Saving faith is always faith in God and his Son Jesus Christ. A sinner cannot save you.

Then you did not understand what I wrote if you think "All you have done is elaborate upon what I have already said."

Robert Pate

Banned
And being a sinner does not disqualify one from being acceptable to God. Being wicked does, however.

Even the wicked have been reconciled unto God, Colossians 1:21.

Of course you have to accept the reconciliation to be reconciled.

Right Divider

Body part
I can understand why we would ask the Lord to forgive us....even though we know we've been forgiven. When I do something I know I shouldn't have done, I ask for forgiveness for my failure to do what He's told me to do so many times in the past. It's an acknowledgment that this is one of those things for which His forgiveness was required to begin with.
I would consider that to be more of an apology than asking for forgiveness.

I know that many people fixate on 1 John 1:9 without understanding the context. It's not about constantly confessing each and every sins or "keeping short lists with God", etc. etc.

John was one of the twelve apostles for the twelve tribes of Israel and that much always be understood when reading what he wrote.

heir

TOL Subscriber
In Matthew, Mark, Luke and John they were baptized in the Jordan, "confessing their sins".

Mark 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Mark 1:5 And there went out unto him all the land of Judaea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins.

"in that day" of 1 John 1:9 KJV they will "confess our sins" in the fountain of Zechariah 13:1 KJV!

Zechariah 13:1 In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and for uncleanness.

heir

TOL Subscriber
theophilus,
Answer my questions, please. And if you can quote them when responding it would be helpful. Thanks.
Here they are again.
Do you now retract that repenting of your sins is required for salvation?

Are those who do not repent of their sins cheapening grace/trampling grace as you have suggested you are not because of your “confession”?

And having been shown what 1 John 1:9 KJV actually means in the context, don't you think it a good idea to drop the misapplication of it?

Krsto

Even the wicked have been reconciled unto God, Colossians 1:21.

Of course you have to accept the reconciliation to be reconciled.

Yes, there is grace for the wicked, and supernatural power to assist in changing one's wicked ways ("repent for the kingdom is at hand"), but your theology presupposes that all men need to repent and be reconciled. God is not against good people. You can not find one thing that says he is.

Krsto

There is "good" and then there is "good enough." What God calls "good" is good enough.

Then there is God, Absolute Good. "Why do you call me good? Only God is Good."

Agreed. Evangelical theology (of which I was a prime promoter) says nobody is good enough. They then quote verses that don't address the issue like "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" and say, "See, nobody is good enough so all will be punished unless they have faith."

Crazy stuff.

And what gets me Robert Pate has issue with Calvinism yet he does the very same thing. Blind prognosticator.

Robert Pate

Banned
Yes, there is grace for the wicked, and supernatural power to assist in changing one's wicked ways ("repent for the kingdom is at hand"), but your theology presupposes that all men need to repent and be reconciled. God is not against good people. You can not find one thing that says he is.

Of course ALL MEN need to repent and be reconciled unto God, because ALL MEN are sinners, 1 Timothy 2:4.

Krsto

Of course ALL MEN need to repent and be reconciled unto God, because ALL MEN are sinners, 1 Timothy 2:4.

Of course all men are sinners Robert. That doesn't mean they have been alienated from God or that God is against them. Did the kid who stole the cookie from the cookie jar sin? Of course. Is God against him? Certainly not. Will a just God condemn him? Absolutely not.