The Three Requirements for Salvation

heir

TOL Subscriber
Still waiting for a response to the questions I asked you, theophilus.

Why do you believe you need to confess something God already forgave you for?

Don't you believe you are forgiven all trespasses as Paul preached (Colossians 2:13 KJV)?

What happens if you don't confess?

theophilus

Still waiting for a response to the questions I asked you, theophilus.

Confession is good for the soul. I have no problem humbling myself before the King of glory, acknowledging I am a sinner and thanking Him for His provision. Every time. :)

Don't you believe you are forgiven all trespasses as Paul preached (Colossians 2:13 KJV)?

Absolutely.

What happens if you don't confess?

I am still forgiven.

:)

heir

TOL Subscriber
Confession is good for the soul. I have no problem humbling myself before the King of glory, acknowledging I am a sinner and thanking Him for His provision. Every time. :)
Asking God for something He has already granted is unbelief that it is already settled (2 Corinthians 5:19 KJV). I mean, how much "unrighteousness" does the believer today have that is in need of cleansing? Who ever told you that this passage means to vocalize your sins to God was lying to you. It is a religious notion and not what the passage has to do with at all.

Absolutely.
I'm thrilled that you believe you are. Then there's no need to confess in order to be forgiven.

I am still forgiven.
There's a huge "if" on 1 John 1:9 KJV. It's not written to you and it's not about a vocal confession of a list of sins (Hebrews 9:22 KJV).

1 John 1:9 KJV means exactly what it says, as it says it and to whom it says it. It is just not written to anyone in the dispensation of the grace of God. It's not our good news.

1 John 1:9 will happen in that day when a fountain is opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and uncleaness.

Zechariah 13:1 In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and for uncleanness.
"That day" would be what many refer to as the second coming of the Lord (the Body of Christ has already been caught up to meet the Lord in the air 1 Thes. 4:16-18).

This is in one accord with what Peter preached in Acts 3:

Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; 20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: 21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Act 3:19-21 has nothing to do with the Body of Christ either. It is to Israel, who look forward to the blotting out of their sins. That's what it says. For that is God's covenant unto them when He shall take away their sins.

Romans 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. 26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: 27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

Israel looks forward to their sins being blotted out while we in the Body of Christ look back to the cross. We have already received the atonement.

Romans 5:11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

Now, are your sins in remission looking forward to blotting out or have you now received the atonement?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned

Confession is not for God's benefit, it's for yourself. The soul is quickened by confession.

The truth shall set you free << that is something more of an action than a sentiment.

theophilus

heir,

Now, are your sins in remission looking forward to blotting out or have you now received the atonement?

My forensic justification and atonement were taken care of on the cross.

I currently confess, regularly, so I don't cheapen/trample grace.

The confession is for ME.

theophilus

Not confessing anything sounds like trampling on grace to me.

So does:

not praising
not worshiping
not praying
not thanking
not asking
not obeying
not loving
not giving
not forgiving
not singing

etc...

heir

TOL Subscriber
heir,

My forensic justification and atonement were taken care of on the cross.

You at first said it was one of the requirements for salvation. You said you have to.

I have to believe Jesus is the Son of God (which I do). John 3:16

I have to repent of my sins (which I have and do daily). 1 John 1:9

If I love Him I will obey Him (not perfectly but I will be just as He is someday). 1 John 3:2

Now, you are saying it is so you don't cheapen/trample grace. So then those who don't confess, are? And now you say it is for you. Which is it: a requirement or for you?

Right Divider

Body part
Not confessing anything sounds like trampling on grace to me.

So does:

not praising
not worshiping
not praying
not thanking
not asking
not obeying
not loving
not giving
not forgiving
not singing

etc...
Your "new" list it nothing but an attempt to "change the subject".

It's hard to understand how you can believe that we should ASK FOR forgiveness that the Lord has already given. That is truly unbelief. Thanking Him FOR that forgiveness would be perfectly appropriate.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Quickened means "made alive". How can confession "make you alive"?

Quicken- to give or restore vigor or activity to; stir up, rouse, or stimulate

In the context of 'quickening the soul', there is a reprieve from guilt so that the soul can be free in the Spirit.

Confession is a natural part of being human to get it out there and be free of burdens of guilt.

theophilus

Confession is NOT asking for forgiveness. Confession is acknowledging before the Majesty on High that I am , indeed, a sinner.

Micah 6:8

How do YOU walk humbly before your God?

Right Divider

Body part
Quicken- to give or restore vigor or activity to; stir up, rouse, or stimulate

In the context of 'quickening the soul', there is a reprieve from guilt so that the soul can be free in the Spirit.

Confession is a natural part of being human to get it out there and be free of burdens of guilt.
So focusing on your sins revitalizes you?

Right Divider

Body part
Confession is NOT asking for forgiveness. Confession is acknowledging before the Majesty on High that I am , indeed, a sinner.

Micah 6:8

How do YOU walk humbly before your God?
There is only ONE place in the so-called NT where the writer talks about confessing sins and that one certainly implies confessing to be forgiven.
1Jn 1:9 KJV If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Of course, this was one of the 12 apostles for the 12 tribes. So I take that into account when I read it.

I confess "that I am, indeed, a sinner" by accepting God's solution to that problem: the CROSS and what Jesus Christ did there.

Be careful with your quotes, otherwise you might end up under the law of Moses.
Mic 6:1-8 KJV Hear ye now what the LORD saith; Arise, contend thou before the mountains, and let the hills hear thy voice. (2) Hear ye, O mountains, the LORD'S controversy, and ye strong foundations of the earth: for the LORD hath a controversy with his people, and he will plead with Israel. (3) O my people, what have I done unto thee? and wherein have I wearied thee? testify against me. (4) For I brought thee up out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed thee out of the house of servants; and I sent before thee Moses, Aaron, and Miriam. (5) O my people, remember now what Balak king of Moab consulted, and what Balaam the son of Beor answered him from Shittim unto Gilgal; that ye may know the righteousness of the LORD. (6) Wherewith shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before the high God? shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves of a year old? (7) Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? (8) He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?
Your one verse is still great advice, but be careful.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Repentance is not the same as confession.
Then why did you say this and use 1 John 1:9 as your proof text?

I have to repent of my sins (which I have and do daily). 1 John 1:9

You said it was one of the requirements for salvation saying you have to and cited 1 John 1:9. We can all see that from the above. Then you said it is so you “don't cheapen/trample grace” and that it is “for you”.

Now you are saying repenting of your sins and your citing of 1 John 1:9 usage is not confession as in 1 John 1:9. :dizzy:
Repentance is not the same as confession.
You seem to be having a hard time keeping your story straight.

Do you now retract that repenting of your sins is required for salvation?

Are those who do not repent of their sins cheapening grace/trampling grace as you have suggested you are not because of your “confession”?

And having been shown what 1 John 1:9 KJV actually means in the context, don't you think it a good idea to drop the misapplication of it?

theophilus

heir,

If you don't know what sin is, how can you know you need a Savior to save you from sin and death and Hell?

If we say we have no sin we are liars.

And there is worldly repentance and the repentance which leads to salvation... 2 Cor. 7:9,10.

Are you having a hard time with the difference between confession and repentance?

1 John 1:9 says..."confess."

What aren't you getting?