The Heretics Message to the World:Be Baptized to be Saved! (HOF thread)

CoCrucified

Re: Your question, answered.

Originally posted by Kevin
CoCrucified,
Repentance is required for salvation, is not? Christ says that those who do repent will perish (Luke 13:3).

"And Jesus answered and said to them, 'Do you suppose that these Galileans were worse sinners than all other Galileans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.'
Luke 13:2-3 (NKJV)
Are you sure you're quoting the correct verse? This verse saying that those who do not repent will perish.
:confused:

CoCrucified

You are taking ONE verse and making the entire doctrine of salvation without taking other verses into consideration.

The ONE verse was an example, not an entire doctrine built from the one verse.

I've already addressed Mark 16:16, so I won't reapeat that.

-----------------
below taken from:
http://www.carm.org/doctrine/1Pet_3_21.htm

1 Pet. 3:21 says, "and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also -- not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ." This is the only verse that says that baptism saves. Is it teaching that we must be baptized to be saved? No. But, but to rightly understand it, we need to look at its context.

"For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, in order that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; 19 in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, 20 who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water. 21 And corresponding to that, baptism now saves you—not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience — through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who is at the right hand of God, having gone into heaven, after angels and authorities and powers had been subjected to Him," (1 Pet. 3:18-22, NASB).

The above translation in verse 21 from the NASB is a good translation. "and corresponding to that, baptism now saves you." The key word in this section is the Greek antitupon. It means "copy," "type," "corresponding to," "a thing resembling another," "its counterpart," etc. It is what the NIV translates as "symbolizes," the NASB as "corresponding to that," and the KJV as "like figure." Baptism, then, is a representation, a copy, a type of something else. The question is "Of what is it a type?", or "baptism corresponds to what?".
If we look at the context, an interesting possibility arises, though I will admit, not the favored interpretation among scholars. What does baptism correspond to? Is it the flood? Or, is it the ark? What was it that saved Noah and his family, the flood or the ark? Obviously, it was the Ark. Noah built and entered the ark by faith and he was saved (Heb. 11:7). The flood waters destroyed the ungodly. Also, Peter consistently refers to the flood waters as the means of destruction of the ungodly (2 Pet. 2:5; 3:6), not the salvation of Noah and his family. Rather, it was the Ark that saved, the ark that Noah entered by faith. It may very well be that baptism refers to the Ark, not the waters. That is why the rest of the verse says, "not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God" which is consistent with what Paul said in Col. 2:11-12 where He equates baptism with being circumcised of heart.
The problem with this interpretation is that it doesn't seem to fit the "water for water typology." It would seem more natural to equate the water of baptism with the water of the flood. Furthermore, if we were to look at the flood waters as the thing that removed evil from the land, we could say that "correspondingly," the waters of baptism removes the sin from our hearts. Though this reading seems a bit more natural, it too has problems.
The water of baptism is not what saves us, the sacrifice of Christ does which we receive by faith. We read numerous verses about justification by faith (Rom. 5:1), salvation by faith (Eph. 2:8), etc., not justification "by faith and baptism," or salvation "by faith and baptism."1 The fact is that salvation is received by faith. Peter, not wanting to declare that baptism itself is what saves us, quickly adds, "not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience." Water baptism, then, must accompany the work of the Holy Spirit in the person. Peter's explanatory comment shows us that the act of physical baptism is not what saves, but the "baptism of appeal to God." This appeal to God is by faith the same as Noah's faith in God led him to build the Ark, enter it, and remain in it. It was the Ark that saved Noah, not the flood waters.
The flood was for Noah a type of baptism even as the passage through the Red Sea was a type of baptism for the Israelites.

"I want you to know, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea, 2 and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 3 and all ate the same supernatural food 4 and all drank the same supernatural drink. For they drank from the supernatural Rock which followed them, and the Rock was Christ," (1 Cor. 10:1-4).

Kevin

CoCrucified,

...do we need to be reborn to make it to heaven.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know what response you'd expect to get, but the answer is clearly yes!

Thank you. Freak couldn't bring himself to type that simple word: yes.

Now, if you agree that we must be reborn to enter heaven, would you then agree that we must fist die before being reborn? After all, how can on be reborn when they are already living? Must we die with Christ (not physically) so that we can be reborn?

CoCrucified

CoCrucified,

Now, if you agree that we must be reborn to enter heaven, would you then agree that we must fist die before being reborn? After all, how can on be reborn when they are already living? Must we die with Christ (not physically) so that we can be reborn?

"fist die?" :chuckle: I'm laughing with you, because I make lots of typos myself!

"Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. For he who has died has been freed from sin. Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,"
Romans 6:4-8 (NKJV)

Our "old man" (aka sin nature, the flesh, self) died with Christ. The answer to your question is yes.

CoCrucified

Originally posted by geralduk
You CANNOT have faith in soemthing you are not FULLY PERSUADED OF.
and so we should not settle for ANY uncertaintY OVER IT.

Absolutely correct, and that's why this is such a vital element to our salvation. If there is any lack of faith, we cannot please God.

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."
Heb 11:6 (NKJV)

Kevin

CARM attack...

CARM attack...

CoCrucified,

First off...

CoCrucified,
Repentance is required for salvation, is not? Christ says that those who do repent will perish (Luke 13:3).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And Jesus answered and said to them, 'Do you suppose that these Galileans were worse sinners than all other Galileans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.'
Luke 13:2-3 (NKJV)
Are you sure you're quoting the correct verse? This verse saying that those who do not repent will perish.

If you read my post in it's entirety, you should realize, by it's context, that it was a typo on my part. Yes, I forgot the put the word "not" in there.

I was driving the point home that repentance is a requirement for salvation yet it's not mentioned in the verse you quoted. Is repentance not necessary because it's not mentioned in that verse that you quoted? Well? Neither is the blood of Christ mentioned. Is that no longer necessary for salvation because it's not mentioned in that verse? If you answer that of course they are necessary then your argument of omission falls flat on it's face. On the same principal, you cannot discount baptism from salvation just because it isn't mentioned in that verse. If you discount baptism, then you discount anything else NOT mentioned in that verse.

Are you going to address this?

I've already addressed Mark 16:16, so I won't reapeat that.

No you haven't, C.A.R.M. has. I see that you rely heavly on carm for interpretion. Why not give your own commentary. I see the holes in their aguments as well...

Carm claims regarding Mark 16:16:

"Mark 16:16 does not say that baptism is a requirement for salvation. Let me show you why. I could easily say that he who believes and goes to church will be saved. That is true. But it is belief that saves, not belief and going to church. Likewise, if you believe and read your Bible, you'll be saved. But it isn't reading your Bible that saves you. Rather, belief in Christ, in His sacrifice, is what saves."

Point in fact, Christ included two things in the requirements for salvation: belief and baptism (funny how that is EXACTLY what happened in Acts 2:38). When Christ says something regarding salvation, who is man to remove what Christ said is necessary for salvation.

What CARM is trying to do is trying to convince the reader that Christ didn't mean what He said in His requirements for salvation.

They go on to give lame examples of "he who believes and goes to church will be saved". That's not what Christ said, and when one realizes what baptism is all about, you will realized WHY it's required for salvation and why Christ included it the requirements for salvation - because it's for the forgiveness of sins (Acts 2:38, Rom. 6:1-7), and you cant get into heaven if your sins are not forgiven.

Christ doesn't throw words around loosely. He doesn't say things just for the heck of it. When Christ says he who believes and is baptized will be saved, that's exactly what He means. You cannot separate the two conditions, for they are joined by the word AND. Both requirements come before "will be saved."

And again, proof that Christ's seriousness on belief and baptism can be found on the very first gospel sermon in Acts 2 - they believed and were baptized in His name for the remission of sins. Coincidence? I think not. Did Peter just tell them to believe when they asked what to do to be saved? NO.

-------

Once again, you quote CARM in hopes that it will somehow make 1Peter 3:21 say something different from what it plainly says. Let's look at it again:

1 Peter 3:21
21) There is also an antitype which now saves us-baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

The verse clearly says that there is an antitype that now saves us - I repeat: NOW SAVES US - BAPTISM

How does it save us? Peter goes on to explain - through the resurrection of Jesus Christ!

The CARM commentator even admits that his interpreation is not widely accepted - and rightly so. In verse 20 is say that 8 souls were saved by WATER, not the ark:

1Peter 3:20
20) to disobeying ones, when once the long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared (in which a few, that is, eight souls were saved through water);

Just as God saved Noah from the perverse generation through waters of the flood, likewise, we have and antitype (representative, counterpart) which now saves us - BAPTISM, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

And finally, once again you rely on CARM for interpretation of Acts 2:38.

They said:

"This verse is a tough one. It seems to say that baptism is part of salvation."

Actually, it's quite clear. CARM makes it difficult by trying to make Acts 2:38 say something else besides what it clearly says.

They go on:
"What is going on here is simply that repentance and forgiveness of sins are connected.

Look at that right there. There they go again trying to seperate two things that are joined by the word AND, and both preceed forgiveness of sins.

Peter told them to "repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins...". CARM would says that there is a connection between repentance and forgivness of sins. They conveniently left out baptism even though it's clearly joined to repentance by the word "AND". Both repent and baptized were both commanded at the same time with equal authority. CARM just can't admit that baptism is for the remission of sins.

Proof that baptism is for the remission of sins can be found in Romans 6 which clearly speaks about baptism and it's purpose:

Romans 6:3-7
3) Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?
4) Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5) For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death
(which is through baptism v. 3), certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection,
6) knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.
7) For he who has died has been freed from sin

Clearly, baptism baptism crucifies the old man of sin, that we are no longer slaves of sin (verse 6). When we are baptized we die with Christ (verse 4). It is those who have died who are freed from sin (verse 7). So again, we find that baptism is for the remission of sins.

Last edited:

CoCrucified

I'm going to have to bow out on this for tonight, because it's getting quite late.

FYI, I do not rely heavily (or at all) on carm for interpretation. This was a site I had previously found on the Web that had some good observations. I'm not associated with carm in any way.

Here's a site that I think makes a thorough study of this subject:
Is Baptism Required for Salvation? Part One of Five

okinrus

Do you think part of the problem could be that in the early
church believing in Jesus Christ and being baptised were
synonymous?

rene

CoCrucified writes: As I've stated in other papers on this subject, there are numerous verses that clearly demonstrate that justification is by faith (Rom. 5:1; Eph. 2:8; Phil. 3:9; etc.).

My reply: What your FAILING to see is the other scriptures that directly speak to the need of baptism.

Failing to see that every believer was baptized.

Failing to see that none that is called a believer is ever unbaptized within scripture.

Last edited:

rene

I don't see it as a problem. I do tho see that every believer was baptised that was called a believer.

Originally posted by okinrus
Do you think part of the problem could be that in the early
church believing in Jesus Christ and being baptised were
synonymous?

Freak

Originally posted by rene
I don't see it as a problem. I do tho see that every believer was baptised that was called a believer.

Was Abraham a believer yet was he baptized?

Freak

CoCrucified,

I gave you a answer. You just didn't like it. I told you Jesus saves and yes you need Jesus to make it in heaven.

JustAChristian

What About Those Who can't Be Baptized?

What About Those Who can't Be Baptized?

Originally posted by Shaun
What about believers who are not able to be baptized before they die?

What would prevent a true believer from being baptized? Perhaps a state of illness, but that is so rare to consider to be the norm. There were men baptized in Iraq during the most recent crisis. They dug a hole and linded it with a tarp and filled it with water. It wasn't really that hard. I believe that anyone who truly wants to be baptized will and must exercise every effort on their part to comply. If that is then not enough then we'll leave the rest to Christ in judgment who will judge righteously on the matter. Do risk or seek for a situation. Believe and be immersed before it is ultimately too late.

JustAChristian

Shaun

Re: What About Those Who can't Be Baptized?

Re: What About Those Who can't Be Baptized?

Originally posted by JustAChristian
What would prevent a true believer from being baptized? Perhaps a state of illness, but that is so rare to consider to be the norm. There were men baptized in Iraq during the most recent crisis. They dug a hole and linded it with a tarp and filled it with water. It wasn't really that hard. I believe that anyone who truly wants to be baptized will and must exercise every effort on their part to comply. If that is then not enough then we'll leave the rest to Christ in judgment who will judge righteously on the matter. Do risk or seek for a situation. Believe and be immersed before it is ultimately too late.

So wait a minute--if they can't be baptized for some illness/other reason, then Christ will make up for it?

Why is this different than a normal person? Isn't "Christ making up for us" the whole point of the cross?

If you say water baptism is essential for salvation, you cannot make small exceptions. That is called hypocrisy.

rene

"Was Abraham a believer yet was he baptized?"

My reply: Since He most def. was before Jesus walked upon the earth - not in the sense that you speak of. Honestly - how could he have been baptised into Jesus before the Messiah came into the world to be able to be gotten into?

Abraham had FAITH in that the Messiah would come. As Christians know - he was right. His situation is totally different than a person that was born AFTER the coming of the Messiah. The promise is no longer coming. The promise arrived. Our job is to get inline with that promise and to reflect Him.

Last edited:

rene

Shaun wrote: So wait a minute--if they can't be baptized for some illness/other reason, then Christ will make up for it?

Why is this different than a normal person? Isn't "Christ making up for us" the whole point of the cross?

If you say water baptism is essential for salvation, you cannot make small exceptions. That is called hypocrisy.

My reply: The bible doesn't address that situation in particular. So we can't honestly say 100% - at least *I* wouldn't be comfortable saying that to someone. I plain don't know the answer to this one - but I know the one that does.

I do believe that God can and does as He wills in all matters. That no matter what, in the end His grace would be able to be seen in the answer that His judgement would be totally fair.

Shaun

I do believe that God can and does as He wills in all matters. That no matter what, in the end His grace would be able to be seen in the answer that His judgement would be totally fair.
Good answer. So wouldn't the most "fair" thing to do would be to have "faith" in God, knowing that if I believe in Him with a living faith, then He will do what is most "fair"?

Freak

Originally posted by rene
"Was Abraham a believer yet was he baptized?"

My reply: Since He most def. was before Jesus walked upon the earth - not in the sense that you speak of.

Oh really. Are you teaching something contrary to God's Word? I believe you are.

In Genesis 15:6 we see, "Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness." Abraham was a believer in the Lord, so tells us the Word of God. Yet he had not been baptized. But his faith was credited to him as righteousness.

In Romans 4:4, in the New Covenant, we see nothing has changed: "However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness."

Water does not bring righteousnes but faith in Christ does.

rene

Shaun writes: Good answer. So wouldn't the most "fair" thing to do would be to have "faith" in God, knowing that if I believe in Him with a living faith, then He will do what is most "fair"?

My reply: Baptism doesn't negate faith.

Something to consider. Have you ever met a Christian that was baptised that didn't have faith?

What concerns me is that there are people out there that call themselves Christian that say that they have faith but haven't seemed to be able to follow the example of Jesus and the words that He spoke.

Shaun

rene: I agree completely. That's what makes what I call a living faith. One that we live by, as we "put on" Christ.

I think the main thing between both groups here that is problematic is that one group argues that baptism is necessary for salvation, while the other argues that the exact point of salvation is before the baptism, when we accept Jesus Christ and His teachings. The point we're trying to make is not that baptism is a bad thing--I have said it before, and I'll say it again, baptism is something all Christians should do. But, as a commandment, it does not "seal" salvation in any way more than "loving your neighbor as yourself" does. It simply "keeps the faith".

I'd like your opinions on this perspective.