The Heretics Message to the World:Be Baptized to be Saved! (HOF thread)

CoCrucified

Originally posted by rene
Did Jesus do a 'work' when He was baptized? I know that you know as well as I - if I have read your comments correctly know that Jesus did in fact followed the will of His Father and reflected God's will in every thing that He did.

Since Jesus Christ never sinned, He obviously wasn't being baptized in order to be saved, just as we are not baptized to be saved.

Why do you think Jesus was baptized?

"For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."
2 Cor 5:21 (NKJV)

Freak

Originally posted by HopeofGlory
I just want to say that I side with JustAChristian, rene and Kevin that water baptism was required for remission of sins during John's ministry and at Pentecost.

No way! People throughout the ages have come to know God through faith not through works.

rene

"Why do you think Jesus was baptized?"

Mat 3:15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer [it to be so] now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.
Mat 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
Mat 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

According to the words of Jesus, to fulfill all righteousness.

rene

Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Rom 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also [in the likeness] of [his] resurrection:

HopeofGlory

Originally posted by Freak
No way! People throughout the ages have come to know God through faith not through works.

Check out Judaism and their belief in baptismal regeneration, they believe their sins are remitted without Christ. This remission is contained in the Law.

Peter believed in the law for remission at Pentecost. Peter preached a baptism of repentance for remission as did the Baptism before Christ shed His blood for remission.

HopeofGlory

"Why do you think Jesus was baptized?"

Mat 3:15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer [it to be so] now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.
Mat 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
Mat 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

According to the words of Jesus, to fulfill all righteousness.

That would be the righteousness of the law.

For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: Rom. 8:3
That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Rom. 8:4

Shaun

Originally posted by Kevin
Shaun,

Why "should" we be baptized?

For the public display and acknowledgement of a private decision and commitment.

Matthew 10:32
Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven.

It is not our acknowledging in front of men that saves us, but rather, the faith in Him that we have that drives us to acknowledge our decision in Him to men.

rene

Hopeofglory states: That would be the righteousness of the law.

My reply: I believe you need to passed over a point that will help you gather understanding. Go back up or grab your bible and read what is found within Rom. 6:3-5

rene

Shaun, Matt. 10 is not even addressing baptism at all. The verse that you use is part of where Jesus is giving comfort to His followers against persecutions.

It doesn't answer anything about baptism.

HopeofGlory

Originally posted by Shaun
For the public display and acknowledgement of a private decision and commitment.

Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven.

It is not our acknowledging in front of men that saves us, but rather, the faith in Him that we have that drives us to acknowledge our decision in Him to men.

I would agree with you that it is not our acknowledging before men that saves but I believe that we must be acknowledged by Christ to receive salvation.

Freak

Originally posted by drbrumley
FREAK,

Which Gospel message are we talking about here, FreaK. Matthew, Mark, Luke and John or Paul's Epistles? Just Curious.

Thanx,
Dave

1 Cor. 15:3-4

HopeofGlory

Hopeofglory states: That would be the righteousness of the law.

My reply: I believe you need to passed over a point that will help you gather understanding. Go back up or grab your bible and read what is found within Rom. 6:3-5

I can go for that if you will show me where anybody that was baptized in water was placed into Christ. Paul is speaking of baptism by the Spirit.

Freak

Check out Judaism and their belief in baptismal regeneration.

Genesis 15:6 tells us that "Abram believed the LORD , and he credited it to him as righteousness."

Romans 4 tells us Abraham & David were saved by faith.

"What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather, discovered in this matter? If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about--but not before God. What does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness."
Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness. David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:
“Blessed are they
whose transgressions are forgiven,
whose sins are covered.
Blessed is the man
whose sin the Lord will never count against him."

Peter believed in the law for remission at Pentecost.

Oh really?

"Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God."

Kevin

Common defintion that has no Biblical support...

Common defintion that has no Biblical support...

Shaun,

Where do you find a verse that says it's for a public display? The verse you quoted has nothing to do with baptism, in fact, neither does the entire chapter. The acknowlegedment spoken of there is confession with the mouth. It is with the mouth that confession is made unto salvation (Rom. 10:10).

Your definition of baptism sharply differs from the Bible's definition of baptism:

Acts 2:38,41
38) Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

The Bible clearly says that baptism if for the remission of sins.

Let's see what Paul says about baptism.

Romans 6:3-6
3) Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?
4) Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5) For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death
(which is through baptism v. 3), certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection,
6) knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.
7) For he who has died has been freed from sin

Clearly, baptism baptism crucifies the old man of sin, that we are no longer slaves of sin (verse 6). When we are baptized we die with Christ (verse 4). It is those who have died who are freed from sin (verse 7). So again, we find that baptism is for the remission of sins.

Also, if baptism is for a public display, where was the crowd when the eunuch was baptized by Phillip in Acts 8:38?

Last edited:

rene

3,000 added on the day of Pentecost, the eunich that Philip baptized, Lydia - I can go on.

iIt isn't limited to just the Holy Spirit in the way that you seem to want to suggest. The bible clearly refutes that when reading the examples I gave - along with the others that are there as well.

I can go for that if you will show me where anybody that was baptized in water was placed into Christ. Paul is speaking of baptism by the Spirit.

HopeofGlory

Originally posted by Freak
Genesis 15:6 tells us that "Abram believed the LORD , and he credited it to him as righteousness."

Romans 4 tells us Abraham & David were saved by faith.

"What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather, discovered in this matter? If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about--but not before God. What does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness."
Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness. David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:
“Blessed are they
whose transgressions are forgiven,
whose sins are covered.
Blessed is the man
whose sin the Lord will never count against him."

Oh really?

"Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God."

What do you make of what Paul says about righteousness which is the law?

Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. Phil. 3:6

The law was given to Moses not Abraham.

I believe in God by the Spirit revealed by Paul.

Judaism has the law not Christ for righteousness.

Last edited:

rene

Re: Common defintion that has no Biblical support...

Re: Common defintion that has no Biblical support...

I agree with your points. None have addressed them yet.

It really seems as if the many verses that do state what some don't want to believe - want to be ignored vs taking an honest a serious look at them.

Originally posted by Kevin
Shaun,

Where do you find a verse that says it's for a public display? The verse you quoted has nothing to do with baptism, in fact, neither does the entire chapter. The acknowlegedment spoken of there is confession with the mouth.

Your definition of baptism sharply differs from the Bible's definition of baptism:

Acts 2:38,41
38) Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

The Bible clearly says that baptism if for the remission of sins.

Let's see what Paul says about baptism.

Romans 6:3-6
3) Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?
4) Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5) For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death
(which is through baptism v. 3), certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection,
6) knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.
7) For he who has died has been freed from sin

Clearly, baptism baptism crucifies the old man of sin, that we are no longer slaves of sin (verse 6). When we are baptized we die with Christ (verse 4). It is those who have died who are freed from sin (verse 7). So again, we find that baptism is for the remission of sins.

Also, if baptism is for a public display, where was the crowd when the eunuch was baptized by Phillip in Acts 8:38?

HopeofGlory

3,000 added on the day of Pentecost, the eunich that Philip baptized, Lydia - I can go on.

iIt isn't limited to just the Holy Spirit in the way that you seem to want to suggest. The bible clearly refutes that when reading the examples I gave - along with the others that are there as well.

I was asking where anybody was "baptized into Christ".
At Pentecost they became members of the church but there was also a church in the wilderness that believed in the law of Moses.
All churches are not the same.