ECT The Gospel Proper

Status
Not open for further replies.

glorydaz

James ('the Just') was the first bishop of the church in Jerusalem, a church which continued for generations until the Romans literally evicted all Jews from the city, many years after Pentecost and the destruction of the city in AD 70. After that, we don't really know what happened to that church. The people weren't killed, they just had to flee, and we don't know where they wound up.

I know what happened. They were persecuted by Saul of Tarsus and scattered...the Twelve remained in Jerusalem and took the brunt of it. Then something changed when Stephen was killed. Something big.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Fruits refer to the works of the flesh.

The FRUIT of the Spirit refers to the Spirit's work in us.

In us and through us, right!

All fruit rightly produced by a member of the Body of Christ is produced by the Spirit, whether it be an inward fruit of good character or an outward fruit toward the benefit of others (lots of overlap there). Either way, it is Christ's life being lived through us, for it no longer we who live but Christ lives in us; and the life which we now live in the flesh is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved us and gave Himself for us. Do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law (i.e. through the flesh), then Christ died in vain.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Politics.
As I said, these fruit came from a rotten tree. One of the problems the Church had for centuries was the corruption of 'simony,' which is the purchasing of a bishop's seat, up to and including the pope. We never hear about this anymore, and it's because bishops no longer possess or exercise any civil power, so there's no 'demand' for their seats among those who are more interested in political power, than in pastoring Christ's flock.

Did you just imply that the Pope has no political power?

Rosenritter

YOU are NOT the target audience for that instruction. You are a poser and a FRAUD!

During this time (Matthew), Jesus was a minister of the circumcision.

Your position is shaky at best and approaching the preposterous. "Judge them by their fruits" is universal in application. You would have us believe that false teachers would only bring forth bad fruit or thorns to a select handful of people in the first century? That thereafter the very reality of the world and spirit changes to make this no longer relevant???

Idolater

"Matthew 16:18-19" Dispensationalist (Catholic) χρ
Did you just imply that the Pope has no political power?
oh yeah whoops

The pope is the head of state. You're right.

Of a plot of land, that couldn't even fit a good sized golf course on it, with 1000 citizens.

And a military who literally wears clown costumes.

Yep, simony's alive and well because of all that political power that the pope wields.

iow, 'point stands.

turbosixx

I stay on topic, my topic, and thus addressed this "immersion" made up jazz, only, in my brilliant post.

And, oh-I did not know that there were washings in the OT.......

Take your seat,please.Thank you for your cooperation.

Jethro John
In your understanding, what type of baptism do John the Baptist perform?
Mk. 1:4 John appeared, baptizing in the wilderness and proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

turbosixx

Nothing that the bishops teach in matters of faith and morals contradicts Scripture.
I don't possibly see how this can be a true statement. What would you call indulgences?

What the bishops do consistently is bring clarity to the Scripture. E.g. the Trinity. Would that there were a book in the New Testament devoted to explicating this doctrine! But there is not. But the bishops fill out the whole doctrine, which comports with what is recorded in Scripture, explaining every detail, such that the whole Scripture becomes more accessible. The Trinity is only one example.
I'm not familiar with what the rcc teaches on the trinity. I fail to see how scripture is inadequate in that regard.

Not only do we read that the Apostles through the imposition of their own hands created bishops, but we see that their instruction was for those bishops to create new bishops themselves, and through the same 'procedure.'
I don't know of any scripture that instructs/shows elders being appointed by the laying of hands nor that continuing. I would be glad to read the passage you believe support this.

I disagree that the Catholic Church has done any such thing.
Could you please show me infant baptism in scripture?

turbosixx

Fine. Do you "believe Jesus?"

Then, do be a dear, and sell all you have. Offer the gift that Moses commanded, and show yourself to a Levitical priest. Raise the dead. Pick up vipers. Drink anti-freeze. Tell no one that "Jesus" is the Christ. And.................................

Agreed?

No? Why don't you "believe Jesus?"

This just shows your lack of understanding of the scriptures and the big picture.

I believe Jesus.
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved

I also believe Paul and it's evident he believed Jesus's commandment to make Christians by baptizing them.
32 And they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house. 33 And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their wounds; and he was baptized at once, he and all his family.

What kind of baptism did Paul perform in this dispensation?

Last edited:

turbosixx

... maybe Jesus words only count as applicable for the Jews?

I say no but I would be willing to entertain this idea. Do you have any scriptures that support this view?

My problem with that view is the gospel is for all. If we look at the prior verse, it tells us it's for all.
Mk. 16:15 And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

When we look at this same conversation from Matthews account, we see that baptism is how someone becomes a Christian and again it's for all.
Matt. 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Also, looking at the conversions we see no discrimination as to who is converted.

turbosixx

So why do you keep trying to compare what was written in the gospels to Paul?
I would strongly suggest this is your problem. You're taking an unfair approach to how Christians WERE CONVERTED. You're looking at the meat Paul is giving to people who have already been converted to prove your view of conversion. People were only given milk to be converted.
1 Cor. 2:2 And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. 2 For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.
Milk

God has seen fit to give us about 12 conversions in scripture. Probably about half of those are Paul's. Why not use those conversions to understand HOW Paul made someone a Christian that he then later writes to?

Then when reading his letters, keep in mind HOW those people he is writing to were converted. I suggest your approach is backwards.

Danoh

I say no but I would be willing to entertain this idea. Do you have any scriptures that support this view?...

What would be the point, they go right past you when posted to you.

Obviously, you are NOT willing, but only think you are.

What'd you do when a passage showing they worshipped at the Temple in Jerusalem was pointed out to you?

I noticed its companion passage also mentioned their having been in favor with all The People.

You obviously also missed the significance of that in properly understanding some things.

The result being that (like far too many other posters on here, who right away read some ill intent on the part of a person attempting to point out a thing to them) you right away read an ill intent on the part of the person who attempted to point out the word Temple to you.

Not that you are alone in this, I'm sure, but ten to one you haven't a clue FROM SCRIPTURE ITSELF what was DEMANDED of an Israelite before being allowed to even enter the Temple at Jerusalem, let alone, allowed to worship in it.

Acts 17: 11, 12.

turbosixx

What'd you do when a passage showing they worshipped at the Temple in Jerusalem was pointed out to you?

I didn't see how that point was relevant to Jesus saying whoever believes and is baptized shall be saved. That passage does not say they were "worshipping" in the temple. Maybe I don't understand how the fact that "they" being in the temple has any relevance.

Location has nothing to do with the gospel. What about being in a synagogue? Is that also relevant? Paul proclaimed the gospel to those worshipping in the synagogue and they responded exactly like those Peter preached to, believed and were baptized.

What I don't listen to is diversion tactics.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
oh yeah whoops

The pope is the head of state. You're right.

Of a plot of land, that couldn't even fit a good sized golf course on it, with 1000 citizens.

And a military who literally wears clown costumes.

Yep, simony's alive and well because of all that political power that the pope wields.

iow, 'point stands.

You're about as ignorant as my left shoe!

He the leader of 1.2 BILLION Catholics who reside in basically every nation on the planet and he controls more money that you can comprehend.

He's by no means on par with the President of the United States or the Pime Minister of England but he's certainly no bit player either.

john w

Hall of Fame
This just shows your lack of understanding of the scriptures and the big picture.

I believe Jesus.
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved

I also believe Paul and it's evident he believed Jesus's commandment to make Christians by baptizing them.
32 And they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house. 33 And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their wounds; and he was baptized at once, he and all his family.

What kind of baptism did Paul perform in this dispensation?
Observe, TOL, the deception- He/she, on record, argues:

WOW, anything to deflect from the truth.
Do you believe Jesus?
16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

He/she, thus argues that we should obey Mark 16:16 KJV, because it is one of "Jesus's commandment(s)."; if we do not, he/she concludes, then, that us wacko dispy's do not "believe Jesus."

Fine. I challenged him/her, based upon that argument, to sell all he/she has, offer the gift that Moses commanded, and show himself/herself to a Levitical priest, raise the dead, tell no one that "Jesus" is the Christ......................,each one of these being "Jesus's commandment," as "Jesus" commanded these also, and to pick up vipers, drink anti-freeze(per the verses that follow the Mark 16:16 KJV, the verse he/she quotes, as proof text that we are to "believe Jesus" and water baptize), Mark 16:18 KJV(*), which he/she conveniently left out, which is the typical ploy, deceptive debating tactics,of "post one verse in isolation"'s, such as turbosixx, or turbotrixx, ignoring "what proceedeth, and what followeth."

And what do we get from him/her, in response? He/she sidesteps the issue, his/her own argument, stumbles, falls into a ditch, by "Oprah"ing us with "This just shows your lack of understanding of the scriptures and the big picture..."=evasion...changing the subject...moving the goal posts...create a moving target...filler....

Now-sell all you have, show yourself to a Levitical priest, raise the dead, drink lighter fluid, pick up a rattler, head on over to "General Hospital," and help Luke and Laura to cure the sick,....................

Don't you "believe "Jesus?"

Your "big picture" is also called "Three Card Monty," a con game.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. 17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18 they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.