The catastrophic tsunami in Asia was....

The catastrophic tsunami in Asia was....

• Predestined by God

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • A judgment upon the wicked from God

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • A sign of the end times

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • A conspiracy staged by the U.N.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • A conspiracy staged by the Bush Administration

• A sign of global warming

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Mother Earth striking back for overpopulation

• A well orchestrated terrorist attack

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Bad karma

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • A tragic random event

Votes: 45 71.4%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 11 17.5%

• Total voters

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by JRHoffman

How about a natural event that occurs when the plates of the earth shift. Of course the plates of the earth only shift because the flood in Noah's day caused the tilting of the earth and placed undo strain on them. So lets blame it on Satan and his introduction of sin which resulted in the flood in the first place.

Very nice, I think you nailed it. :D Never thought of it that way. Yup, it WAS sin, and/or satan.

Jeff

firechyld

I'm pretty much in agreement with philo:

I check "tragic random event" and "other."

It was a tragic event certainly. And it was random in the people it killed, other than the fact that they were all in one geographical location.

The "other" part is that it is not quite random on all levels. It was the result of a seismic disturbance on the ocean floor from movements of contental plates. It's just something that happens on this Earth of ours. It is a thing of nature.

I ticked "tragic random event" and "other" (before I read philo's response, btw). I feel it was a tragic event, but not that it can really be labelled "random" from a scientific perspective. These things happen, and are not all that "random".

I also ticked "a conspiracy staged by the Bush administration", solely because it was funny. It was only in retrospect that I realised this made a comment on Bush's competence which I completely disagree with. ;) C'est la vie.

Sozo

Originally posted by Z Man

Most Christians on this board consider it a 'random event' because they are 'afraid' of attributing this tragic event to God. Yet, they'll turn right around and have no problem saying that God caused the flood in Noah's day which wiped out the whole world except 8 souls...

:rolleyes:
The "Flood" was a judgment on the world.

Are you saying that God still does that?

Rimi

Agree that ultimately it was because of "the Fall". In a fallen world, tragic and random events happen. If is WAS God, why did the Christians there suffer so greatly? Apparently the tsunami happened when most were in church services and they took a serious hit.

julie21

Originally posted by Rimi

Agree that ultimately it was because of "the Fall". In a fallen world, tragic and random events happen. If is WAS God, why did the Christians there suffer so greatly? Apparently the tsunami happened when most were in church services and they took a serious hit.

And so are 'Christians' to be saved from suffering? Also, how can one person tell if a Christian really is a Christian...only One being as far as I am concerned who truly knows if one is or not.

Soulman

BANNED
Banned
As a Calvinist, would have said predestined and been left holding the bag defending god's character. As a sun worshipper, makes more "sense" to leave god out of it and accept this catastrophe as a natural, random event. There is no one and nothing to "blame." Not god. Not sin. Not Satan. Not the UN, not terrorists, and not King George. The best explanation is the simplest explanation: In a universe of matter in motion, someone's gonna get hurt, and someone gets "randomly" hurt or killed somewhere, somehow, literally every moment of every day. The magnitude of this disaster is shocking, but small-scale random or "freak" deaths (auto accidents, house fires, trip and falls, being struck by lightning, etc.) are so "passe" they're taken for granted and barely given a second thought. The only difference between one "accidental" death and 100,000 accidental deaths is the "scale" of the tragedy, not the "randomness" or the "quality" of the tragedy. Theological explanations are only necessary in order to get god "off the hook." Since there's no one to "blame" in a naturalistic universe, the sun worshipper doesnt need a scapegoat (god, Satan, sin, the victims) to "explain" a natural disaster.

Z Man

Originally posted by Soulman

As a Calvinist, would have said predestined and been left holding the bag defending god's character. As a sun worshipper, makes more "sense" to leave god out of it and accept this catastrophe as a natural, random event. There is no one and nothing to "blame." Not god. Not sin. Not Satan. Not the UN, not terrorists, and not King George. The best explanation is the simplest explanation: In a universe of matter in motion, someone's gonna get hurt, and someone gets "randomly" hurt or killed somewhere, somehow, literally every moment of every day. The magnitude of this disaster is shocking, but small-scale random or "freak" deaths (auto accidents, house fires, trip and falls, being struck by lightning, etc.) are so "passe" they're taken for granted and barely given a second thought. The only difference between one "accidental" death and 100,000 accidental deaths is the "scale" of the tragedy, not the "randomness" or the "quality" of the tragedy. Theological explanations are only necessary in order to get god "off the hook." Since there's no one to "blame" in a naturalistic universe, the sun worshipper doesnt need a scapegoat (god, Satan, sin, the victims) to "explain" a natural disaster.
Let me guess - you checked 'Mother Earth striking back for overpopulation', didn't you?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

I don't believe it was a 'random' event. God is sovereign - He controls this world. He created it, He controls it. The world isn't 'running free' from His control. I thought Job taught us this?
Job taught us what about this tsunami?

Are you insinuating that God allowed Satan to cause the earthquake and resulting in tsunami in Asia? :confused:

Wamba

`
LIFETIME MEMBER
I wonder how many people seriously think it's "A conspiracy staged by the Bush Administration" :think:

Z Man

Originally posted by Knight

Job taught us what about this tsunami?
The book of Job taught us that God is in control of this Earth and all of her 'phenomenons'.
Are you insinuating that God allowed Satan to cause the earthquake and resulting in tsunami in Asia? :confused:
Sorta. I don't know if we can directly say that Satan caused it, but I do believe God did. Either indirectly through Satan, or directly by Himself, I don't know, but I do know He's in control, and that means He was in control of that tsunami.

Z Man

Originally posted by Knight
Originally posted by PastorZ77

Are any events not predestined by God?
What does the Bible say?
Well, let's see:

Isaiah 46:9-10
And do not forget the things I have done throughout history. For I am God – I alone! I am God, and there is no one else like me. Only I can tell you what is going to happen even before it happens. Everything I plan will come to pass, for I do whatever I wish.

Isaiah 48:3
"I have declared the former things from the beginning; They went forth from My mouth, and I caused them to hear it. Suddenly I did them, and they came to pass."

Proverbs 16:9
A man's heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps.

Revelations 13:8
And all the people who belong to this world worshiped the beast. They are the ones whose names were not written in the Book of Life, which belongs to the Lamb who was killed before the world was made.

Ephesians 1:4
Long ago, even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

The book of Job taught us that God is in control of this Earth and all of her 'phenomenons'.

Sorta. I don't know if we can directly say that Satan caused it, but I do believe God did. Either indirectly through Satan, or directly by Himself, I don't know, but I do know He's in control, and that means He was in control of that tsunami.
:kookoo:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Z-Man references....

Isaiah 46:9-10
And do not forget the things I have done throughout history. For I am God – I alone! I am God, and there is no one else like me. Only I can tell you what is going to happen even before it happens. Everything I plan will come to pass, for I do whatever I wish.

What Bible version is that?

How about....

Isaiah 46:9 Remember the former things of old, For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me, 10 Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things that are not yet done, Saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, And I will do all My pleasure,’

Yes, God does what He pleases but there is nothing in that verse that states that God it pleases God to do EVERYTHING..

Isaiah 48:3
"I have declared the former things from the beginning; They went forth from My mouth, and I caused them to hear it. Suddenly I did them, and they came to pass."
God can bring things to pass there is no disagreement there (but that certainly doesn't help your point any).

Proverbs 16:9
A man's heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps.

God only directs our steps if we let Him.

"Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. "

Revelations 13:8
And all the people who belong to this world worshiped the beast. They are the ones whose names were not written in the Book of Life, which belongs to the Lamb who was killed before the world was made.

So? Of course those that reject God will not have their names in the Book of Life.

Ephesians 1:4
Long ago, even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes.

God predestined that the Body of Christ (corporately) would be Holy and blameless before the Lord. He did NOT however predestine individually who would join that Body.

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame

Let me guess - you checked 'Mother Earth striking back for overpopulation', didn't you?

Did you even read Soulman's post or did it simply not compute, Z?

STONE

Natural Disasters/ Tsunamis

Natural Disasters/ Tsunamis

Does God have providence over disasters?
What is their reason or purpose?

"Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground? And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it: And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down."