SUPREME COURT EXTENDS GAY MARRIAGE NATIONWIDE

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
No what we have here is the state run by nine Men in Black who rule by fiat according to their personal idiosyncratic values

Justice's Ginsburg and Kagan had previously presided over gay weddings before todays SCOTUS ruling.

They should have recused themselves from this case.

But, because they are Progressive Liberals, they didn't.

Shasta

I wonder, though. If marriage for gay couples is now a civil right, wouldn't the refusal to marry a gay couple be seen as violating their civil rights - much like the refusal to marry a bi-racial couple would be?

As it stands today the Judiciarchy has the power to order this.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Pretty soon, the following will be considered hate speech, and will not be allowed:

(Lev 18:22) ‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.

Dan Emanuel

Homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered. They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.​
So say's Pope Francis.

No S.S.M. in Catholic parishes.' :(

Daniel

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I wonder, though. If marriage for gay couples is now a civil right, wouldn't the refusal to marry a gay couple be seen as violating their civil rights - much like the refusal to marry a bi-racial couple would be?
The right to marry isn't the only right in play. Religious liberty is as well and this would differ dramatically with the baker, who cannot lay claim to the basis of his practice being altered or offended, however he might be. A member of the clergy within a church where homosexuality is defined as sin and where the joining of homosexuals would be on par with a violation of the office is in a position much akin to the Amish and conscription.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I have no doubt that some will try and make the point against traditional religious institutions. I'm equally confident the Court, should it rise to that level, will sustain and preserve the right of men of the cloth to remain within the confines of their duty.

One of the differences here is that while there could well be a town and a world where if we allow bakers and grocers to choose who is worthy of their craft then someone might starve. But the marriage contract is between the state and the parties. God is superfluous as far as the legality is concerned. So there is really no dignity being denied by a pastor's refusal except the dignity to which the offended don't subscribe, which cannot then be of real value to them and the denial of which cannot be said to work a real injury.

That would be one answer at any rate.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't think I've ever seen anyone who speaks with such authority about American affairs without even living in this country.

It's called reading.

And in my line of work, I read everything.

I suppose you could argue that entropy will eventually have its way. That's one perspective, but I don't share it. I think we've always been an uneven proposition and we'll keep doing our best to level the thing out, likely never quite getting it completely right.
Your efforts will always self serving. Men are subject to under a proper authority. When they pretend they are the ultimate determinant of right and wrong, we go downhill.

We don't have a state run by any one religion here, which has worked out well enough for every religion here.
The nation that calls homos married and murders children by the millions?

You're just being contentious.
Not to mention right.

Last edited:

Quetzal

PrlS2DG.jpg

:chuckle:

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Justice's Ginsburg and Kagan had previously presided over gay weddings before todays SCOTUS ruling.

They should have recused themselves from this case.

But, because they are Progressive Liberals, they didn't.

Have other Justices presided over heterosexual weddings? If so why should they not have recused themselves. And Scalia, our Justice who would rather be Pope, do you think for a second that he would not rule against same-sex marriage? Why should he have not recused himself?

Justices who may have represented either the State or accused in private practice---should they recuse themselves in any case based on criminal law?

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
You are actually on the right track of something. Two men are not married, no matter what anybody says. Especially that disgusting pervert John Roberts and John Boehner. May they both rot in hell.

Aww, where's the Christian love, Nick?

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Scalia: "The Supreme Court has descended from the disciplined reasoning of John Marshall to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

we can always rely on Scalia for a good turn of phrase. Doesn't mean he is correct. I suspect Scalia allows his Catholicism to interfere with his legal reasoning on occasion.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Pretty soon, the following will be considered hate speech, and will not be allowed:

(Lev 18:22) ‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.
Nonsense, try not to let irrational fear run away with otherwise cogent thinking.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
we can always rely on Scalia for a good turn of phrase. Doesn't mean he is correct. I suspect Scalia allows his Catholicism to interfere with his legal reasoning on occasion.

that is probably why six of them are on the court

Breathe

The right to marry isn't the only right in play. Religious liberty is as well and this would differ dramatically with the baker, who cannot lay claim to the basis of his practice being altered or offended, however he might be. A member of the clergy within a church where homosexuality is defined as sin and where the joining of homosexuals would be on par with a violation of the office is in a position much akin to the Amish and conscription.

I get what you're saying, but this court seems to have taken it upon themselves to define marriage, so expecting them to back off from enforcing a civil right because of the religious beliefs of what is increasingly becoming a minority seems optimistic to me. It will be interesting to see what happens when religious liberty is challenged, as we know it will be.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The tide's turned--both sides can agree on that.

What a curious turn of events. For all the talk of being pro-family--for all the talk of those mysterious "family values"--for all the rhetoric about the "sanctity" of marriage--we've come to a point where the ability to marry and make families has become a sticking point.

What they've meant all along is their way, or the highway. Their values, or none. The same folks who talk the most often about "liberty" or "freedom" are the ones aghast they can't deny liberty and freedom to millions.

musterion

Homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered. They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.​
So say's Pope Francis.

No S.S.M. in Catholic parishes.' :(

Daniel

You'll see it within five years, as soon as enough Catholics start demanding it. Many of them lean left as it is...just a matter of time before Rome complies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
This morning I think of a bit from C.S. Lewis (when he was right he was spot on) though I can't imagine he'd be crazy with this appropriation, given the circumstances. So it goes.

"If you dip into any college, or school, or parish, or family—anything you like—at a given point in its history, you always find that there was a time before that point when there was more elbow room and contrasts weren't quite so sharp; and that there's going to be a time after that point when there is even less room for indecision and choices are even more momentous. Good is always getting better and bad is always getting worse: the possibilities of even apparent neutrality are always diminishing."

jeffblue101

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/14-556_3204.pdf
But what really astounds is the hubris reflected in today’s judicial Putsch. The five Justices who compose today’s majority are entirely comfortable concluding that every State violated the Constitution for all of the 135 years between the Fourteenth Amendment’s ratification and Massachusetts’ permitting of same-sex marriages in 2003.20 They have discovered in the Fourteenth Amendment a “fundamental right” overlooked by every person alive at the time of ratification, and almost everyone else in the time since. They see what lesser legal minds— minds like Thomas Cooley, John Marshall Harlan, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., Learned Hand, Louis Brandeis, William Howard Taft, Benjamin Cardozo, Hugo Black, Felix Frankfurter, Robert Jackson, and Henry Friendly—could not. They are certain that the People ratified the Fourteenth Amendment to bestow on them the power to remove questions from the democratic process when that is called for by their “reasoned judgment.” These Justices know that limiting marriage to one man and one woman is contrary to reason; they know that an institution as old as government itself, and accepted by every nation in history until 15 years ago, cannot possibly be supported by anything other than ignorance or bigotry. And they are willing to say that any citizen who does not agree with that, who adheres to what was, until 15 years ago, the unanimous judgment of all generations and all societies, stands against the Constitution