Spanking children teaches discipline!

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
How is it ridiculous? I know a child that was severely physically traumatized by his bio family. Why would you spank a child who has PTSD?

You're talking about a fairly rare, specific circumstance and attributing it to the entire matter of physical discipline.

TweetyBird

You're talking about a fairly rare, specific circumstance and attributing it to the entire matter of physical discipline.

Not rare at all. It is becoming very common in society. Foster care and other such type of homes and facilities are rife with children who have been physically abused. Abuse of children, even in Christian families, under the guise of "discipline" is nothing more than physical and emotional abuse. The reason these children taken out of their homes are so traumatized is because their parents label it as "discipline". Spanking a child does nothing except cause a child to believe that striking another human being is righteous. Spanking is a cultural punishment that makes people feel like they are contributing to a child's mindset and causing them to be obedient through fear and terror. It's not the right way.

musterion

You changed your post. Good. You were going to make it about me instead of staying on point. That was a weasel impulse you had for a second. Glad you thought twice.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Not rare at all. It is becoming very common in society. Foster care and other such type of homes and facilities are rife with children who have been physically abused. Abuse of children, even in Christian families, under the guise of "discipline" is nothing more than physical and emotional abuse. The reason these children taken out of their homes are so traumatized is because their parents label it as "discipline". Spanking a child does nothing except cause a child to believe that striking another human being is righteous. Spanking is a cultural punishment that makes people feel like they are contributing to a child's mindset and causing them to be obedient through fear and terror. It's not the right way.

And now you are taking a fairly rare, specific thing and simply attributing it to something else.

Ultimately, your argument is being falsely persuasive in trying to abused children and non-abused children synonymous in a setting where physical discipline goes.

You're going to sit there and talk about God, but Godly wisdom is not sparing the rod. But pick and choose what to believe in the Bible like so many of you do- it's because of the lack of discipline that there are so many delinquents today.
That is, your notion has been proven ineffective in many circumstances.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
216438-escapees.jpg

I can almost guarantee that they all came from fatherless households, which most often lacks discipline :rolleyes:

TweetyBird

You changed your post. Good. You were going to make it about me instead of staying on point. That was a weasel impulse you had for a second. Glad you thought twice.

No, I was not going to make it about you. It occurred to me while reading the text that my first reaction was wrong, so I changed my post. Do you agree or disagree that Paul was speaking of the terror of the Lord because of Judgment for the lost/unsaved, not that Paul preached the Gospel because he was terrified of God?