So much for the myth of the pure and noble "native American"

Greg Jennings

My understanding of his point is liberals like to hold up the Indians as some glorified entity when they were really nothing more than a bunch of savages who worshipped not the God of the scriptures but idols they themselves propped up. They sacrificed their own women and children to these idols. That we should not hold up the Native American Indians as some sort of people to look up to and respect but actually scorn them for their vile past...

I could be wrong though...

Some were very savage, namely the Iroquois and Comanche tribes in North America. But to say that the vast majority were savage beasts is, frankly, ignorant and misinformed. There were vast civilizations present on this continent before Europeans arrived. They traded and got along with one another in exactly the same way that Europeans did. And sometimes, just as in the rest of the world, that entailed violence.

Side note: I've only ever voted Republican. Go take your liberal goose chase somewhere else. I know my history, and I like to present it accurately. If that makes me a liberal, then so be it.

Why does it matter what god(s) they worshipped? Why is it that non-Christian lives are meaningless to many of you who claim to follow Christ's example? Not to mention, they didn't exactly have the ability to even learn about Christisnity prior to European contact.

On the sacrifice part: have you ever read the bible? Do you not remember Abraham being willing to sacrifice his child to God? What of Jephthah's daughter? Have you forgotten?
What of Leviticus? In there it is commanded that a priest's daughter who "defiles" herself is to be burned alive. Explain how that is different from the savagery that native Americans exhibited?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
That's why he wanted to annihilate them...

I can get that. When Americans moved into Texas, they came into conflict with the Comanches, who were expanding into the same territory. It became clear that one or the other was going to be wiped out. Until Colt's repeating pistol, the Comanches were holding their own, maybe winning.

That turned the advantage. If you read accounts of the Rangers from that time, it's clear that they had a great respect for the fighting ability and courage of the enemy. Hated them, intended to wipe them out, but they respected them.

I'm guessing Custer had the same feelings about the Sioux.

rexlunae

It's a common leftist fairytale.

No it's not. It's a trope found in various places, especially those dominated by white people, but demands for treatment of First Peoples with dignity aren't based on any particular stereotype about what their cultures were.

The Berean

My understanding of his point is liberals like to hold up the Indians as some glorified entity when they were really nothing more than a bunch of savages who worshipped not the God of the scriptures but idols they themselves propped up. They sacrificed their own women and children to these idols. That we should not hold up the Native American Indians as some sort of people to look up to and respect but actually scorn them for their vile past...

I could be wrong though...

Doc, "Native Americans" were/are a HUGE and DIVERSE groups of people. There are literally thousands of different tribes with vastly different beliefs, customs, cultures, knowledge, etc. Some tribes were nomads, some were farmers, some were fishermen. Some had very loose systems of government, others had large sophisticated confederacies. Did you know that several Iroquois chiefs addressed the Continental Congress on July 11, 1776 as the American colonists debated independence?

I think the problem is because of Hollywood movies most people think ALL Native Americans were like the nomadic tribes of the Southwest plains. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Last edited:

The Berean

I mean to the Left there isnt, and what is factual sometimes is exaggerated or false. But the Left refuses to acknowledge what is verifiably true. White = evil.

I don't agree with that. Sure, some white people have done evil but they didn't do evil just because they were white. That's just dumb.

Last edited:

The Berean

I believe Hollywood has done a great deal of damage to the image of Native Americans. Hollywood had swung from one extreme to the other side in its depiction of Native Americans. Before the 1970's in Westerns the Native Americans were ALWAYS portrayed as the bad guys, the villains, brutal animals that murdered white men and raped white women. White people were ALWAYS the heroes, pure and moral. Manifest Destiny was God ordained. The "injuns" were just wicked vermin that needed to be exterminated to make sure America became great. Then that started changing in the early 1970's. The film Little Big Man showed the massacre of a defenseless tribe by the US Army. It was shocking at that time.

But then Hollywood swung the other direct and by the 1990's, starting with Dances With Wolves the Native American and white people had switched roles. The Native Americans were the "noble savage" and the White man was the evil, murderous, rapist.

Both extremes are ridiculous. History and people are far more complex and nuanced than what Hollywood depicts on screen.

Last edited:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Little Big Man is one of my favorite films :thumb:

" i am, beyond a doubt, the last of the old timers..."

rexlunae

First and foremost, Native Americans are people, and they deserve dignity and respect and full human rights on that basis alone. That their languages and cultures also enrich the world is nice, but it's beside the point.

musterion

I don't agree with that. Sure, some white people have done evil but they didn't do evil just because they were white. That's just dumb.

I didn't say I agreed with it either. I just know something about how history has been taught for the past couple decades in schools. The accomplishments of people who happened to be white are downplayed, diminished, or spun to be evil because of whatever effect those accomplishments are said to have had on so-called minorities. What it amounts to is nothing good was ever done by the white man, especially on this continent.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
I didn't say I agreed with it either. I just know something about how history has been taught for the past couple decades in schools. The accomplishments of people who happened to be white are downplayed, diminished, or spun to be evil because of whatever effect those accomplishments are said to have had on so-called minorities. What it amounts to is nothing good was ever done by the white man, especially on this continent.

Well then, you were never in my wife's history class. But I'm sure you know something anyway.