Votes: 42 33.6%
  • NO

Votes: 63 50.4%
  • OTHER (explain below)

Votes: 20 16.0%

• Total voters

PureX

Freedom Train said:
As I said, that's the action of weenies. If that's true (hard to say since it's a matter of opinion anyway) people can figure it out, unless most who come here are so stupid they need some self-appointed doofus to tell them what to think. And if that's what they need, they aren't worth much to begin with.

Demonizing the messenger in this regard is a cowardly act, no two ways about it. It shows the person doing it doesn't have the debating skill to confront the person head-on, so, they resort to stabbing in the back since they're useless in a fair fight. It's stacking the deck in favor of the weenies.
Yes. But sadly, this seems to apply to quite a few TOLers around here, including the mods.

I enjoyed posting here for several years until this recent spate of banning and weenie points made it just too easy for the "clique" to abuse anyone that dares to disagree with them. It's gotten to the point where it's just not worth the effort, anymore.

Power will always corrupt people, and the weaker the people the more corrupt they will become. And the ability to slander others, especially anonymously, gives these weak spirited people just that little bit of power that they can't resist abusing. It's pathetic, but it's human nature. Unfortunately, it's a pathetic aspect of human nature that seems to be encouraged around here.

I just got tired of it. And I found myself getting angry in response to it, and writing angry posts, myself. So I quit.

Aimiel

Maybe TOL should 'sell' positive rep. That would be similar to the lottery, which is known as: "Tax on the ignorant."

Granite

Hall of Fame
PureX said:
Yes. But sadly, this seems to apply to quite a few TOLers around here, including the mods.

I enjoyed posting here for several years until this recent spate of banning and weenie points made it just too easy for the "clique" to abuse anyone that dares to disagree with them. It's gotten to the point where it's just not worth the effort, anymore.

Power will always corrupt people, and the weaker the people the more corrupt they will become. And the ability to slander others, especially anonymously, gives these weak spirited people just that little bit of power that they can't resist abusing. It's pathetic, but it's human nature. Unfortunately, it's a pathetic aspect of human nature that seems to be encouraged around here.

I just got tired of it. And I found myself getting angry in response to it, and writing angry posts, myself. So I quit.

I know the feeling. This whole ridiculous "truthsmack" form of thinking and acting has only gotten worse over time.

Mustard Seed

The system itself is impotent. It only has as much sway as the individuals who use or view it give it. Personaly if I've an individual inane enough to think neg repping without reason or out of a lack of capacity or desire to properly respond is an 'intelligent' course of action then I'm better off just letting that person stew in their own stupidity. There are a few individuals who are covered in red rep that I see as far more advanced in thinking and integrity than some that are covered in green rep. Just goes to demonstrate that any fool willing to leave their openness to someone elses manifested judgements of an individuals merits is, and will continue to get, their just desserts throughout their shallow mortal experience. Those are the same kind of mentalities so prone to scams and being hoodwinked. So the belly aching either way seems a rather moot point. Either you ascribe importance to the system or you don't. Don't try and take both sides of it being both irrelevant and evidence of great persecution.

Freedom Train

BANNED
Banned
Delmar said:
Some times when you hear the same tired old drivel over, and over, and over again.it is just easier to hit the "I do not approve" button than to rehash the same argument.
Freedom Train, I am :down: repping you for post# 76 I'm not calling you a demon or anything I just don't approve of your whinning!

Knight can I change my vote? I want to keep the rep!

You reveal far more about yourself by doing so than you do about me, thus proving my point, for which I thank you.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Dump it.

I'm the sort that is motivated pretty strongly by positive feed back and so I enjoy the rep system but it's become almost totally meaningless in the last several months and it doesn't seem like the benefits are worth the loss of some of the people we've lost because of it. Besides I like getting POTD better than getting positive rep points and with the rep system POTD's haven't been given out nearly as much. Although I suppose that translates into the POTD's being a bigger deal than they were before but still, POTD is cool because more people have an opportunity to see the post.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Clete said:
Dump it.

I'm the sort that is motivated pretty strongly by positive feed back and so I enjoy the rep system but it's become almost totally meaningless in the last several months and it doesn't seem like the benefits are worth the loss of some of the people we've lost because of it. Besides I like getting POTD better than getting positive rep points and with the rep system POTD's haven't been given out nearly as much. Although I suppose that translates into the POTD's being a bigger deal than they were before but still, POTD is cool because more people have an opportunity to see the post.

:shocked:

By the gods! Clete and I agree!

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Did I forget to mention that giving negative rep to Granite is one of the biggest pros that the rep system has?

Granite said:
:shocked:

By the gods! Clete and I agree!
WHAT!!!

Okay, I change my mind!

:banana: Keep the rep system! :banana:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Clete said:
Did I forget to mention that giving negative rep to Granite is one of the biggest pros that the rep system has?

WHAT!!!

Okay, I change my mind!

:banana: Keep the rep system! :banana:

:chuckle:

What have I done?:doh:

GuySmiley

I say dump it. But only if we all get a cartoon character we can dress up instead. For 'rep' we could give each other points that could be used to buy outfits and accessories for our 'dolls.'

Ok, honestly, I think it should be dumped, but I would like some kind of feedback system for individual posts, sort of like rep without the points. Can you imagine if everyone created a POTD thread for all the posts they liked? Although, that wouldn't save TOL bandwidth very much.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
GuySmiley said:
I say dump it. But only if we all get a cartoon character we can dress up instead. For 'rep' we could give each other points that could be used to buy outfits and accessories for our 'dolls.'
:eek:

:rotfl:

Wessex Man

I just got tired of it. And I found myself getting angry in response to it, and writing angry posts, myself. So I quit
I must agree,this recent jump in certain people's rep is very unconcerting,I cannot help feel it has something t do with the schism between Knight and BB.
Perhaps a system with a fixed amount of rep that can be given out,therefore no matter how much rep you've got,you'll give out the same.

Aimiel

When clowns like Allsmiles learn how to abuse the system and get so much positive rep it is unbelieveable, it is time to repair or remove the system.

Morpheus

The rep system has never been anything more than a method of publicly promoting those who agree with the herd, thereby granting perceived power to them to reject those who do not agree with the herd. The operative term is "perceived power". Those who were in the original clique gained huge initial rep simply because of group-think. Group think doesn't accurately evaluate right or wrong, it only serves to convince the group that they are right even if they are not. By granting those with huge rep greater "rep power" it gave them not only the ego of being popular in the particular group, but gave them the perception of power that comes with it. Many times those with the largest "rep power" use it as a weapon. The old "I'll teach you not to mess with me" concept. Why not? The guy in the red, or with little green has no "power" to return fire. It doesn't matter whether or not the recipient is affected; the giver has perceived himself as powerful and more important by the use of this system. Pride is dangerous.

If First Century Jews had had a rep system just how do you think Jesus and his followers would have faired? Would the Pharisees have had huge point accumulations? Would they have used it to further degrade those who they perceived as heretics and blasphemers? The point is that their group-think, and reputation, crucified Jesus. Did that make them right? How foolish they were to chase reputation and power at the expense of their souls. Their power was only perceived also. In the sight of God they were abominable.

Freedom Train

BANNED
Banned
I see at least one representative of the ruff tuff cream puffs has chosen to neg rep me because of comments in this thread, and probably will again for this post. All this shows is the corruption of the system. A coward who would be quaking in his Tony Lamas over the prospect of facing a 200# six foot ex-showgirl who knows Yubiwaza in a dark alley can smack me with the push of a button. If this is the best you have as a fighting tactic, you're doomed.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
GuySmiley said:
:rotfl:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Delmar said:
Knight can I change my vote? I want to keep the rep!
Well you could but.... I am not going to let the "vote" determine my decision.

I mainly just wanted to get a "feel" for how people viewed the rep system.