Should homosexuals be given the death penalty?

Should homosexuals be given the death penalty?

• Total voters

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
What about the law concerning disobedient children? Does that one only apply to Jewish children?

Exodus 21:17

Deuteronomy 21:18

I don’t see the word “disobedient” here. So what are these verses referring to? Does it mean the kid wouldn't clean his room? Or does it mean something more extreme?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
We aren't talking about the Bible. We are talking about a secular govt. murdering thousands of people because of a sexual (mis) deed. Keep the Uncle Sam out of the bedroom.
Who said anything about Uncle Sam? Uncle Sam isn't qualified to run a government. He's been failing for over 200 years, now.

elohiym

Er, :duh: lets see :think: One is the taking of another persons life, the other is going jogging or something on a sunday or saturday depending on when you think the sabbath actually falls......
God demanded the death penalty for sabbath breaking, so He must consider a serious offense.

Num 15:32-36 And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day. And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation. And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him. And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp. And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses.

I also remind you that Adam and Eve merely ate a piece of fruit, and all mankind has been subject to death ever since.

As Christians, we cannot pick and choose what laws we think are serious enough to put someone to death over. There must be one consistent standard (for homosexuals and heterosexuals) that even a child could understand.

red77

Can someone give an intelligent rundown of how and why these vary in importance, or how they may or may not apply to today?
That would be helpful in helping people accept that homosexuality should receive the death penalty.
It would certainly help to convince those who aren't convinced.

If there happened to be little variance in importance, and it was thought that most or all of these laws should be instigated, then can we get past the any clever juggling of Scripture, and have a defining set of Scriptures which put to rest the doubts?

Please?

Well I'll give a straight answer to you, it takes an immense amount of juggling and wrangling of verses to justify putting homosexuals to death in todays society, all you'll get is 'symbolic this and symbolic that' for those other behaviours and its as transparent as anything that the only reason the DP keeps getting pushed for homosexuality is because of peoples personal disgust and discomfort witht the idea, there's a darn sight more pressing issues in the world than the private sex lives of individuals and Jesus certainly didnt make any recorded event of mentioning it while on Earth, Hey - lets put adulterers to death too, destroy families and bring back stoning while we're at it, its as pathetic as it is sickening....... :rain:

Granite

Hall of Fame
First off, to start, you do agree that putting someone to death for not keeping the Sabbath does not apply to believers today, correct?

You also agree that those who commit murder today, should be put to death, correct?

You saying some ethics and morals are indeed situational?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I have never seen God tell the US government to "kill" homosexuals. In fact, he has never told them anything.
"If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them."
-Leviticus 20:13

red77

God demanded the death penalty for sabbath breaking, so He must consider a serious offense.

Num 15:32-36 And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day. And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation. And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him. And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp. And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses.

I also remind you that Adam and Eve merely ate a piece of fruit, and all mankind has been subject to death ever since.

As Christians, we cannot pick and choose what laws we think are serious enough to put someone to death over. There must be one consistent standard (for homosexuals and heterosexuals) that even a child could understand.

Do you see nothing symbolic about this? Grief - if there is one constant standard that even a child could understand then it would be great! No need for these endless debates! ;)

Kimberlyann

Exodus 21:17

Deuteronomy 21:18

I don’t see the word “disobedient” here. So what are these verses referring to? Does it mean the kid wouldn't clean his room? Or does it mean something more extreme?

Exodus 21
21:17
"Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.

Deuteronomy 21
21:18
If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him,
21:19
his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town.
21:20
They shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard."
21:21
Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
If the government were to execute people for engaging in homosexual activity, less people would engage in it, for fear of execution, and more lives would be saved, because they would be saved from killing themselves.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Since Jesus came to earth, and God can now relate to humans....

Now our Creator can finally relate to us!
:rotfl:

:kookoo:

Now, Shimei, would you please be so kind as to tell me why you are entitled to receive God's mercy, and a homosexual is not??

Where did I say that a homosexual isn't entitled to mercy? Any of them can repent at any time and be forgiven. As far as putting them to death for that crime, homosexuality is not a crime at this point. You want more on that subject? Search the threads, it has been done to death...

elohiym

First off, to start, you do agree that putting someone to death for not keeping the Sabbath does not apply to believers today, correct?
Why wouldn't it? Is it only the nine commandments these days?

Paul called the sabbath a shadow of things to come (future tense) Col 2:17. We don't eliminate the shadow before it is fulfilled, and Paul said it was to come, not came. Even after the shadow is fulfilled we don't necessarily eliminate the type, as in the example of the communion bread and wine. Isaiah speaks of the sabbath on the new earth in the future (Isa 66:23), which is probably why Paul told us not to let others judge us for keeping it.

icilian fenner

If the government were to execute people for engaging in homosexual activity, less people would engage in it, for fear of execution, and more lives would be saved, because they would be saved from killing themselves.

Same with motor sports, heterosexual sex, driving while tired, drug addiction, jaywalking, drinking, smoking, overeating, undereating, engaging any religious belief that encourages the sacrifice of ones life for a higher goal, and eating burnt toast routinely.

Any activity with any risk of death could be discouraged by the imposing of a certain death (so long as someone finds out) penalty. It'd make for a very limited society if this was the standard by which we decide either it is just to execute..

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Exodus 21
21:17
"Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.

Deuteronomy 21
21:18
If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him,
21:19
his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town.
21:20
They shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard."
21:21
Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.

Sorry, I missed the word "obey". I am not denying the context of not obeying your parents. So again, what are these verses referring to? Does it mean the kid wouldn't clean his room? Or does it mean something more extreme?

GeneCosta

I'd be interested to see a thread entitled "Should conservative Christians who voted yes be given the death penalty?" where we can discuss, in excruciating detail, the preferred methods of execution. After all, I view their politics [pro-war, pro-torture, anti-social programs, anti-religious freedom, anti-sex education] as much more devastating than a simple act of consensual sex between two men/women/hermaphrodites, and since Environmentalism and Liberalism are religions [according to WND, a very trustworthy news site], I have theological support.

Of course my opposition to the death penalty would inevitably force me to vote "no."

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Why wouldn't it? Is it only the nine commandments these days?

Paul called the sabbath a shadow of things to come (future tense) Col 2:17. We don't eliminate the shadow before it is fulfilled, and Paul said it was to come, not came. Even after the shadow is fulfilled we don't necessarily eliminate the type, as in the example of the communion bread and wine. Isaiah speaks of the sabbath on the new earth in the future (Isa 66:23), which is probably why Paul told us not to let others judge us for keeping it.

I missed church last Saturday. Should I be put to death?

elohiym

Do you see nothing symbolic about this?
About the fourth commandment? Sure. But the commandment about adultery can be interpreted symbolically, too, as in the spiritual adultery God rebukes Israel and Judah for.
Grief - if there is one constant standard that even a child could understand then it would be great! No need for these endless debates! ;)
There is only one standard. Love.

Ro 13:9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Jas 2:8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:

Love fulfills every law in the Bible. The standard to judge any act is: Am I loving my neighbor as I would want to be loved when I do [fill in the act]. If the act has nothing to do with loving your neighbor, or if you can show love towards another in that act, it cannot be a sin.

So simple a child could understand it.

dying_star

Now our Creator can finally relate to us!
:rotfl:

:kookoo:

God is perfect. Why should He be able to relate to sin? That doesn't seem like a crazy concept to me. God had never been tempted until Jesus came to earth. Jesus was half-man, and therefore experienced the same temptations we deal with everyday. The only difference is that He never sinned.

Where did I say that a homosexual isn't entitled to mercy? Any of them can repent at any time and be forgiven. As far as putting them to death for that crime, homosexuality is not a crime at this point. You want more on that subject? Search the threads, it has been done to death...

If homosexuals are not excluded from receiving God's grace, then why do you think they should be executed? Why is their sin worse than yours?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Same with motor sports, heterosexual sex, driving while tired, drug addiction, jaywalking, drinking, smoking, overeating, undereating, engaging any religious belief that encourages the sacrifice of ones life for a higher goal, and eating burnt toast routinely.

Any activity with any risk of death could be discouraged by the imposing of a certain death (so long as someone finds out) penalty. It'd make for a very limited society if this was the standard by which we decide either it is just to execute..
If we went with what God said, and we didn't just let men make up rules, we wouldn't have to worry about motor sports or burnt toast being illegal.

elohiym

I missed church last Saturday. Should I be put to death?
The fourth commandments says nothing about going to church. If you are asking if you should be put to death for willfully violating the sabbath, God has already answered you in his word.

Heb 10:26-29 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. He that despised Moses’ law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

Fortunately, the sabbath is very easy to keep by resting from legalism, which is done by accepting the only standard of righteousness--love.