Shooting at SC Church During Bible Study - Suspect still at large

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Yeah, I have noticed a certain ebb and flow to his vitriol that might normally be attributed to over imbibing.

:chuckle: That may be as well, but Granite actually reminds me of Brian Griffin from "Family Guy"...Their personalities are remarkably similar at times. Granite actually used to use him as an avatar (although I doubt that Granite chose him on that basis).

Granite

Hall of Fame
You have to get new stuff Town. Yes some Southern politicians said white supremacy was a basis for their society, but so did Abraham Lincoln.

So in other words, cry me a river.

Wrong--nearly all did, as did each state when they cited the preservation and importance of slavery as their reason for secession. The Confederates were clear about their intentions: A nation founded on the premise that the white man was superior to the black, a nation founded on the notion that slavery would endure, and a nation founded on the notion that slavery would spread wherever the Confederacy went (Central and South America were among their designs). This wasn't a handful of bad apples merely using the rhetoric of the time.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Oooops, those pesky facts...

Why is this so hard for you to understand?

No one is saying Confederate soldiers shouldn't be treated as US Vets. The issue is whether the Confederate flag should be flown on government property.

Last year, while in Maryland, I visited a Confederate memorial that was the site of a mass grave of over 4,000 Confederate soldiers. HERE

The memorial is run and maintained by the US Dept of Veteran Affairs.

However, there is no Confederate flag on the site. The Stars and Stripes is flown, and that's the way it should be.

78_ptlookout.jpg

bybee

Wrong--nearly all did, as did each state when they cited the preservation and importance of slavery as their reason for secession. The Confederates were clear about their intentions: A nation founded on the premise that the white man was superior to the black, a nation founded on the notion that slavery would endure, and a nation founded on the notion that slavery would spread wherever the Confederacy went (Central and South America were among their designs). This wasn't a handful of bad apples merely using the rhetoric of the time.

NOTHING! Absolutely nothing on this good earth can EVER justify the ownership of one man by another man.
At a time when feelings are running high basic courtesy requires sensitivity to one another.
And at a fundamental level of good will, one man to another man, (I'm using "man" in the writ large sense) the flaunting of symbols of hatred and bigotry and violence ought not to occur.
We are wise to respect each other's perceptions as best we can.
The Confederate Flag has never bothered me. I have not thought that Southerners who displayed it would respect it above the flag of our nation? It is not my flag.
But disrespect to my flag does bother me.
In my books freedom to choose still trumps how I feel about choices made by some.

Granite

Hall of Fame
NOTHING! Absolutely nothing on this good earth can EVER justify the ownership of one man by another man.
At a time when feelings are running high basic courtesy requires sensitivity to one another.
And at a fundamental level of good will, one man to another man, (I'm using "man" in the writ large sense) the flaunting of symbols of hatred and bigotry and violence ought not to occur.
We are wise to respect each other's perceptions as best we can.
The Confederate Flag has never bothered me. I have not thought that Southerners who displayed it would respect it above the flag of our nation? It is not my flag.
But disrespect to my flag does bother me.
In my books freedom to choose still trumps how I feel about choices made by some.

:AMR:

fzappa13

:chuckle: That may be as well, but Granite actually reminds me of Brian Griffin from "Family Guy"...Their personalities are remarkably similar at times. Granite actually used to use him as an avatar (although I doubt that Granite chose him on that basis).

Well, I quit doing TV over 20 years ago so the are certain innuendis that will be lost on me. But, I've been doing you and Granite in the interim and I am inclined to take your word on that.

fzappa13

Why is this so hard for you to understand?

No one is saying Confederate soldiers shouldn't be treated as US Vets. The issue is whether the Confederate flag should be flown on government property.

Last year, while in Maryland, I visited a Confederate memorial that was the site of a mass grave of over 4,000 Confederate soldiers. HERE

The memorial is run and maintained by the US Dept of Veteran Affairs.

However, there is no Confederate flag on the site. The Stars and Stripes is flown, and that's the way it should be.

78_ptlookout.jpg

Ah ... the obelisk. Now, THAT'S a symbol with some history. If you were going to start banning symbols that would be a good place to start.

Oh, but, then there's those deals in D.C. and the Vatican.

:nono:

Last edited: