Shooting at SC Church During Bible Study - Suspect still at large

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This all reminds me of the uproar when Christmas time comes.

"You have a Christmas tree in your house. There was a time when some Satan worshipers used that symbol. That means you are a Satan worshiper."

All over a symbol that doesn't mean the same to all people that use that symbol.

*sigh*

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And that's why it has no place over a seat of government. Though if someone wants to paint their house to look like one it's their business.
It's the exact same symbol no matter where it is.
Does putting it somewhere else somehow make it less offensive to you?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Right. If someone wants to fly a "I love the Klan" banner over their private property (subject to homeowners' agreements) it's their business. Flying it over a capital is another matter.

Of course not.

fool

Hall of Fame

I think location is important, The Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia would belong at a cemetery filled with veterans of it.
And the Confederate Navy Ensign (the same design in rectangular form which is what most people fly) would belong at a cemetery for the fallen navel vets.

fzappa13

And no sane person would go around claiming that anyone that has a flag with the Star of David must be a Mason or a supporter of Masons.

Agreed. But, part of what we are talking about here is history and any given persons' familiarity with it. Like most of what I offer, there are few takers for it.

Too many folks just like to over-dramatize any tiny little crack they think they have found, while the real issue gets second fiddle.

That is the nature of those who seek to quibble. Strain at a gnat and pass a camel. You can figure out who's who quick enough, the question is, how long are we obligated to trouble each other when faced with this? You can toss out what you have to offer but that's about it. The rest can be covered with a rewind button on a recorder.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Here's a link to the whole thing:
https://www.tsl.texas.gov/ref/abouttx/secession/2feb1861.html

And yes, I'm from TEXAS. And TEXAS became a Confederate State.

And now, just as then, there are TEXANs that oppose and TEXANs that do not oppose the servitude of the blacks (could probably say the same about every state of the North and South).

And now, just as then, we both (TEXANs that oppose and TEXANs that do not oppose the servitude of the blacks) have the same state flag.

Oh, and again ..... it ain't about a flag.

The Confederate flag is a symbol that is used by those who advocate the servitude of blacks.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Right. If someone wants to fly a "I love the Klan" banner over their private property (subject to homeowners' agreements) it's their business. Flying it over a capital is another matter.
Where was his flag when he murdered?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Liberals love it when the discussion is over a flag or a statue. They hate discussing justice.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Liberals love it when the discussion is over a flag or a statue.

I'm not a Liberal. The governor of South Carolina is a Republican, the majority of senators and representatives in SC who voted to remove the flag were Republicans.

Only a very small minority of bigots defend the Confederate flag.

They hate discussing justice.

Your idea of justice is to kill everyone who disagrees with you.

You're really not much different than a Muslim.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What it symbolized was in his heart. That's why he identified with it so. It's why the Klan does. It's unworthy as a symbol of any legitimate issue or concern. No advance gains anything worth having by its use.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

What it symbolized was in his heart.
I've been saying all along that it is a heart problem, not a flag problem.

But then you came along and tried to make a case about the 'location' of the flag being OK except on government property.
This guys flag wasn't on government property, so why should his having a flag on private property even be a problem?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I've been saying all along that it is a heart problem, not a flag problem.
And I'm saying it isn't an either/or. The flag was born to represent an evil and it resurfaced in the service of a second. No flag causes a people to do evil, but it can reflect their will to do just that. And so the case of the Confederate flag.

But then you came along and tried to make a case about the 'location' of the flag being OK except on government property.
No, I differentiated between the private right to property and its use and the public display of that flag over a seat of government.

This guys flag wasn't on government property, so why should his having a flag on private property even be a problem?
Supra. :e4e: