Shooting at SC Church During Bible Study - Suspect still at large

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm sure they like steak, cars, beer, baseball, and other things I like too.

However, they are racists, and the Confederate Flag is a symbol of their racism.
Every symbols they use is for racist agenda.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Is the burning and desecrating of the American Flag a symbol of hatred for this country?

Yes, a hatred for the country, not a specific race of people.

I think it is and it enrages me.

I don't like it either, but it's part of having freedom.

No one's asking for a ban on Confederate Flags. You can still go to a Lynard Skynard show and see the Confederate Flag behind the stage.

All they are asking for is that it be removed from government property.

Granite

Hall of Fame
What does the rebel flag symbolize? Possible answers:

a) heritage

Okay. So what? Heritage isn't synonymous with "virtue," or "value," or being on the right side of history. If one's heritage is troubled--or simply in the wrong, or representative of a woeful moral grievance--then understanding one's heritage is one thing. Celebrating it is something else.

b) history

Indeed, and see above. An understanding of history doesn't mean we necessarily celebrate it.

c) freedom

For who? From what? If the rebel flag is used as a symbol of "freedom" we need to address these questions. If it's freedom from, say, Washington, then the flag symbolizes treason today as surely as it symbolized treason in 1861. But cries of "freedom" and "liberty" come loudest these days from people who claim to be "patriots" who "love their country." You can't have it both ways (unless, of course, the "country" you really love doesn't exist anymore).

So even at its most benign there are few compelling arguments for defending the rebel flag or what it supposedly stands for. What the rebel flag truly does represent--a failed rebellion led by white supremacists hell-bent on maintaining their superiority over an entire race they held in bondage--should persuade any thinking person that the rebel flag is nothing but a icon of hatred, racism, and division.

There is no good argument to be made for it.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If it's freedom from, say, Washington, then the flag symbolizes treason today as surely as it symbolized treason in 1861.
Treason or freedom?
Well, America fought to free themselves from British rule.
Does that make the American flag a symbol of treason or freedom?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And don't put up a cross on government property either.

That's correct.

Should we put the Star of David on every government building? A crescent moon?

Where does it end?

What is wrong with separation of church and state?

You can wear a cross, stick one on your car, put one in your yard, etc. Same for the Confederate Flag.

Why isn't that good enough?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Treason or freedom?
Well, America fought to free themselves from British rule.
Does that make the American flag a symbol of treason or freedom?

For your analogy to be true, we would have to under the British Flag today.

If we were under the British Flag today, then flying an Ole Betsy today would probably be the same thing as flying a Confederate Flag today.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Nothing about slavery.

Correct. That's my point.

The guy who designed the flag for the Confederacy tells us that it was a symbol of the white mans supremacy over the black man.

You guys won't even listen to the guy (Thompson) who designed the flag.

The flag stood for racism.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's correct.

Should we put the Star of David on every government building? A crescent moon?

Where does it end?

What is wrong with separation of church and state?

You can wear a cross, stick one on your car, put one in your yard, etc. Same for the Confederate Flag.

Why isn't that good enough?
Is government property private property or public property?