Reverse Terrorism?

musterion

My concern is that we should not condemn a man solely because his affiliation is Muslim.

I was never calling for condemnation. CLOSE SCRUTINY, YES, which in our current environment is absurdly and suicidally disallowed as some form of racism.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well well. How does that feel, Muslims, when someone attacks folks out of the blue that are going about their daily lives?
You seem oddly satisfied by that instead of appalled. I find that appalling.

Clearly this was a self-radicalized lone wolf. Anyway, the London mayor said this is just part of living in a modern city and that people shouldn’t get upset over it. It is what it is.
No he didn't. He said the attempt was made to divide the populace and and to "make us stop leading the lives that we do." Reminds me of a conservative not terribly long ago who was applauded for suggesting that when we don't do that terrorism wins.

But I’m very concerned about the backlash against the white community.
What the heck does white have to do with it? Was he some sort of white separatist? There are white Muslims. And there are pale, blue-eyed Spaniards. Much of the world understands that, because they live in areas where much more diverse populations tend to break down that sort of assumption.

Everybody is...... We'll stand together and we'll stand by the innocent Muslim folks of London and the UK.
It'll take time but I expect we'll hear more about the terrorist soon enough.
God bless the effort. It's hard to keep your sanity with so much insanity all about you.

Well, I did write a play once. :)

It wasn't very well received though for some reason...:mmph:
Was it the grammar? :plain: It was the grammar, wasn't it.

Unfortunately, the facts bear out that islam is a dangerous fake religion
There's someone across the pond thinking the same thing about your faith and you. And he's just as wrong.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
No he didn't. He said the attempt was made to divide the populace and and to "make us stop leading the lives that we do." Reminds me of a conservative not terribly long ago who was applauded for suggesting that when we don't do that terrorism wins.

The mayor (thanks to Trump) was completely taken out of context, and Trump's base ran with the mischaracterization you're answering.

Trump:

"At least seven dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and mayor of London says there is "no reason to be alarmed!"

Mayor Sadiq Khan's actual words:

"Londoners will see an increased police presence today [Sunday] and over the course of the next few days. No reason to be alarmed."

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Way to underscore the point of your reading just about any thread.

Find it? You could read a newspaper over my shoulder.

I can read mine with you standing between me and it.

Anything on terrorism (in case he didn't have time to look at the topic)? This one's about "reverse terrorism".

i've made 14 posts in this thread, town

i make one in response to you and you come unglued

quite amusing to watch, actually :chuckle:

and oddly satisfying :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
i've made 14 posts in this thread, town
Really? Were any of them on point?

i make one in response to you and you come unglued
It's your inability to make reasoned cases that undoes the effort.

quite amusing to watch, actually :chuckle:
I think if you removed the smilies, 9 out of 10 people would never see the amusement. I mean instead of the 7 or 8 in 10 who probably still aren't buying it.

and oddly satisfying :chuckle:
I believe you're one of the least happy and satisfied posters I've ever read around here.

Maybe that's why I didn't know you'd posted. :plain:

Seriously though, terrorism. You come down for or against?

eider

God bless the effort. It's hard to keep your sanity with so much insanity all about you.
Hi... again.... and 'yes', we will... stand together. We're just too cosmopolitan, too multi-cultural, to do anything else. We (mostly) wouldn't want to do anything else.
Close communities allowing a wide range of diversities, but when the dirt starts happening we will do together.

Was it the grammar? :plain: It was the grammar, wasn't it.
Wot? Look mate, Arfa's grandma ain't got nuffin' to do wiv 'is natral artstandin' genic, umm, ginui, err..... yer knows wot I meanin', innit.
:chuckle:

eider

The mayor (thanks to Trump) was completely taken out of context, and Trump's base ran with the mischaracterization you're answering.

Trump:

"At least seven dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and mayor of London says there is "no reason to be alarmed!"

Mayor Sadiq Khan's actual words:

"Londoners will see an increased police presence today [Sunday] and over the course of the next few days. No reason to be alarmed."

I'm not surprised by any point scoring against the London Mayor.
But, most sadly, Sadiq Khan has looked a bit inadequate as far as handling the shocking terrorism, and the unbelievably criminal inferno at Glenfell Tower.
Last night he made a statement on the News, explaining how London was responding and reacting to that towering inferno. His short speech was layed flat on a desk in front of him, and he peered down at it, reading line for line like a schoolboy in a dictation exercise. I felt like shouting at the telly, 'For goodness sake, look up, man'!
Anna, he's just looking quite pathetic at this time, under these dreadful pressures, but after having a very tough Mayor for several years, I'm afraid that we've been spoiled by a rock solid character like tatty-hair Boris.
I hope Sadiq picks up his game, because I for one would love to thumb my nose at the islamophobes, and conservatives! :)

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I'm not surprised by any point scoring against the London Mayor.
But, most sadly, Sadiq Khan has looked a bit inadequate as far as handling the shocking terrorism, and the unbelievably criminal inferno at Glenfell Tower.
Last night he made a statement on the News, explaining how London was responding and reacting to that towering inferno. His short speech was layed flat on a desk in front of him, and he peered down at it, reading line for line like a schoolboy in a dictation exercise. I felt like shouting at the telly, 'For goodness sake, look up, man'!
Anna, he's just looking quite pathetic at this time, under these dreadful pressures, but after having a very tough Mayor for several years, I'm afraid that we've been spoiled by a rock solid character like tatty-hair Boris.
I hope Sadiq picks up his game, because I for one would love to thumb my nose at the islamophobes, and conservatives! :)

I can imagine your frustration, since we have our own versions of inadequate leaders here starting with our current inhabitant of the Oval Office...

Having said that, the job in front of him is incredible daunting. If I'm remembering correctly, you may have hundreds of buildings across London with that cladding, all installed before the mayor took office? So it's on him now to oversee this crisis he's inherited while dealing with several terror attacks and protecting you from another.

I hope he's able to make the transition from lawyer to commander, he needs to be able to inspire confidence in the citizens and show them he's a capable leader and a master delegator, because if he can't do it, the people will find someone who will. I wish him the all the best. It's not a job I would want.

eider

I can imagine your frustration, since we have our own versions of inadequate leaders here starting with our current inhabitant of the Oval Office...
Understood.

Having said that, the job in front of him is incredible daunting. If I'm remembering correctly, you may have hundreds of buildings across London with that cladding, all installed before the mayor took office? So it's on him now to oversee this crisis he's inherited while dealing with several terror attacks and protecting you from another.
Look.... absolutely!
The Chief Exec of Kensington/Chelsea Council resigned. Manufacturers and contractors are now (finally) under the microscope. Fire Officer Inspectors won't be sleeping too well. Even Hotpoint is being targeted at some level to see if it might be a partial scapegoat... I hear that it weas a Hotpoint Fridge/Freezer which initially caught fire. The whole business is a pile of ...corruption. Tonight in North London 800 flats are being evacuated for the safety of the tenants..... and also because people in comfy positions are getting scared about what might happen to them if.....

But Anna...... Sadiq just didn't look big enough to handle it all, is all. The one person who did look big enough was the Metroplitan Police assistant Commissioner whose job it was in the first days to give daily reports to an angry and aggressive media..... he handled it all so well, by comparison.

I hope he's able to make the transition from lawyer to commander, he needs to be able to inspire confidence in the citizens and show them he's a capable leader and a master delegator, because if he can't do it, the people will find someone who will. I wish him the all the best. It's not a job I would want.
Yes..... Let's wish him all the best.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The one person who did look big enough was the Metroplitan Police assistant Commissioner whose job it was in the first days to give daily reports to an angry and aggressive media..... he handled it all so well, by comparison.

Hey - maybe the mayor needs to reassign the commissioner. Can he do that? Get him on his team and make him the public face of the operation.

eider

Hey - maybe the mayor needs to reassign the commissioner. Can he do that? Get him on his team and make him the public face of the operation.

No idea! :)
I don't know, I have no clue about how Mayors, Council Chiefs, Police Commissioners, Fire Heads, Permanent government officials etc knit together. They probably don't knit together...... I have never seen any system in the UK in as big and outrageous a mess as this one. It's not politics, it's permanent-position corruption on a mega scale.

Anna, if I didn't know that this had happened in London City, England I would assume it had happened in some third-world dictatorship where the murderous, wicked, criminal officials didn't give a hoot about the people or their living conditions. It's the most embarrassing and shameful situation ......... and we now know that there are about one hundred tower blocks which need very careful re-inspection.

fool

Hall of Fame
It's the most embarrassing and shameful situation ......... and we now know that there are about one hundred tower blocks which need very careful re-inspection.
From what I've gathered that cladding would not be on a building in the U.S.
You have lax building codes.
And really dumb stickers.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
It's the most embarrassing and shameful situation ......... and we now know that there are about one hundred tower blocks which need very careful re-inspection.

Your country is going through a lot right now. I hope that those in positions to do so come together and solve these problems. When everyone works to a purpose that's a greater than the sum of the differences, good things will happen. I hope that for you and yours.

eider

From what I've gathered that cladding would not be on a building in the U.S.
You have lax building codes.
And really dumb stickers.

I'm the kind of bloke who gets up and shouts back to defend my country, right or wrong.
But you've got me...... I have not got anything to stand up upon.

The whole business is rotten through and through. And corrupt permanent officials are covering up for corrupt permanent mates, all from similar backgrounds and societies.

Corruption goes on...... The previous ArchBishop of our CoE, together with other senior 'dignitaries' have all been found to have conspired (in some waty or other) to cover up the sexual assaults that the Bishop of Lewes (now Gloucester) committed upon at least 18 young males.

So, just now, if you chucked a snowball at me, I'd fall and roll over..... :idunno:

eider

Your country is going through a lot right now. I hope that those in positions to do so come together and solve these problems. When everyone works to a purpose that's a greater than the sum of the differences, good things will happen. I hope that for you and yours.

Bless you for your kind thoughts.
I tell you what, Anna, the only leader around here who actually looks honest is the person who one year ago everybody thought was a joke. Throw politics in the bin, and vote for ANYBODY with integrity, and all we would be left with for a genuine leader would be Mr Corbyn. I have never voted labour in my life, until this month....... so did my Missus.

But too late for so many...