Redskins

bybee

So, freedom requires the right to trademark any term?

I guess to me trademark isn't a big component of freedom, because it is an inherently positive creation of the government. I don't see any problem with the government setting some limits to it, as long as those limits are fair.

...and not unnecessarily intrusive.

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned
~Lon's avatar~
:chuckle:

So, freedom requires the right to trademark any term?

I guess to me trademark isn't a big component of freedom, because it is an inherently positive creation of the government. I don't see any problem with the government setting some limits to it, as long as those limits are fair.

We used to be so free that we could own slaves.

However, in the name of compassion came the counterbalance. The same with segregation and MLK- again, in the name of compassion came action.

Those are things that meant something. There was a very real cause and drive.
But now, we are arguing over names of football teams and demanding that police use blue instead of black silhouettes. It's political correctness gone haywire, why don't you all just admit that and stop trying to sensationalize it?

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned
Except America isn't a democracy, it's a republic.

The founders of the country made it a point to not have majority rule over all, so that the minority are not left out.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
On one? No. Close to one? Yes...I've been asked before. Full-blooded tell me its easy to see, been called 'geronimo' etc.
By a white person or by a blood? Else, I'm surprised, though not completely. A majority of people, Native American and otherwise aren't offended by the term.

Er, I'm not following the equivocation. :nono:
That's probably because it wasn't one. But what you aren't following is your own posit, because you made an issue over how long ago the team was founded and the timing of both the first formal objection and the court's response.

My answer was an illustration that it can take time. The Civil Rights landmark cases came nearly a hundred years after blacks were established uniformly as free men and citizens in this country.

I was mostly just curious as to how negatively you'd been impacted, how likely you were to be in a position to speak to that. To me the issue is as simple as Merriam Webster meets the people of Native American blood who are understandably offended. Many aren't. I can understand that too, having invested a very different approach to the word for most of my life.

But the word has been too closely and too often linked to marginalizing, stereotyping and insulting people like you, to the point where it's reasonable to object to it and be offended by it, even if that response isn't uniform. So it's time to find a new word for a storied representative of our actual national pastime.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
How long did it take emancipated slaves to get voting rights?

in new york state?

that would be 1799

A majority of people, Native American and otherwise aren't offended by the term.

so why in the name of all that's holy does a mildly intelligent person such as yourself argue so forcefully for an accomodation of the whiny minority?

My answer was an illustration that it can take time.

maybe for your evil ancestors

rexlunae

Except America isn't a democracy, it's a republic.

You say that as if the two are mutually exclusive. They aren't.

The founders of the country made it a point to not have majority rule over all, so that the minority are not left out.

The foundations of democracy are older and deeper in this country than republicanism. So is the tradition of the rule of law. That's why we have a constitutional, democratic republic. Constitutional because we have a Constitution that establishes the powers of government and protects rights, democratic because we vote for our governance, and republic because we have no hereditary offices nor king.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

The foundations of democracy are older and deeper in this country than republicanism. So is the tradition of the rule of law. That's why we have a constitutional, democratic republic. Constitutional because we have a Constitution that establishes the powers of government and protects rights, democratic because we vote for our governance, and republic because we have no hereditary offices not king.
Right. And it isn't as though our founders had a profound respect for the average citizen's ability to decide fundamental issues of right. They made it neigh unto impossible for their considerations on those points to be uprooted, kept power in the hands of a narrow, landed gentry and then did their best to give the minorities recourse and equality before the law, if not in political empowerment.

rexlunae

Right. And it isn't as though our founders had a profound respect for the average citizen's ability to decide fundamental issues of right. They made it neigh unto impossible for their considerations on those points to be uprooted, kept power in the hands of a narrow, landed gentry and then did their best to give the minorities recourse and equality before the law, if not in political empowerment.

That's very true. And unfortunate, in some cases. But then, there are many cases where an unpopular right is defended by little more than the Constitution and courts that are diligent to their duties.

bybee

That's very true. And unfortunate, in some cases. But then, there are many cases where an unpopular right is defended by little more than the Constitution and courts that are diligent to their duties.

I was horrified at a young age by pictures of posses lynching someone because someone decided they were guilty. I saw films of KKK'ers tarring and feathering a black man and threatening to do the same to a white man who tried to come to the black man's defense.
These pictures are indelibly imprinted on my soul.
Mob rule and anarchy destroy society.
If we wish to live in society then we must have reasonable laws upon which all can rely with surety of equality of application.

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned

The foundations of democracy are older and deeper in this country than republicanism. So is the tradition of the rule of law. That's why we have a constitutional, democratic republic. Constitutional because we have a Constitution that establishes the powers of government and protects rights, democratic because we vote for our governance, and republic because we have no hereditary offices nor king.

The government was never supposed to be a sentient entity. It was supposed to just be a machine.

The initial plan of the US wasn't even for John Q Public to vote for the Presidency, because John Q Public wasn't supposed to be affected by government. They were comfortable with electing officials close within their circles to vote, because there was no option of usurping or exploiting John Q Public.

You know all that stuff you hear about libertarianism and all those super conservative notions?
Well, there it is, the oldest of the oldest of ideals of this country. The foundation, really.

Government shouldn't even be doing what it does, let alone testing the waters of the Constitution.
Want my opinion? Liberarianism or Church State. Apple or orange, because what we're doing now is murdering this country.

Daedalean's_Sun

And why would I care what you think passes for stupid to you or not? I could give a care less. I 'thought' I made that obvious.

Your defense for what was ostensibly a bad argument was "Meh". Literally that's your defense. This tells me that not only do you not care about my opinion, you don't seem to care about yours either.

I'm going to start a "Cracker" Barrel lawsuit that goes into effect 90 years from now.

Red herring.

First of all, no it most certainly is not. Washington D.C. wasn't 'shooting' for derogatory but just the opposite: Complimentary.

What they were 'shooting' for is immaterial.

"Redskins" are about as much of a compliment to American Indians, as "You look pretty when you're wearing make-up" is to women.

Don't care. Your opinion doesn't matter to me a whit and this is all this is. You don't register on my important people to listen to or pay attention to list. Sorry, fact.

You've knowingly and purposely used fallacious reasoning. If that doesn't bother you, then why should anyone care what you think?

I don't care who makes frivolous lawsuits, they bother me. This one isn't worth the time or ink.

I'm not talking about a lawsuit. I'm talking about what connotations a particular term has.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
In 2002, A fourth-grade teacher in North Carolina was formally reprimanded by the school when an African-American parent was offended by her use of the word (niggardly) in class. A formal letter was placed in the teachers file, accusing her of not being sensitive to the diverse school population and directing her to not use the word again. The student was moved to another class. The teacher was forced to apologize to the parent for teaching her students a perfectly innocent English word with no racial connotations.