Rebuttal of the dreadful doctrine of reprobation

Cross Reference

D
enied what? They did not - as you indicate - deny the power. They simply denied that they held a position where they were to prophesy. What Spurgeon described as prophecy ironically (I think) denied to call it that. But he said it was of God, admitted its accuracy and simply said he was used of God. That's not denying the power - just the label. No biblical issue that I see with that. God can correct him if so needed.

I am a classical Pentecostal, independent of any particular Penteostal persuasion.

And if you deny the fruit of Knox, for example, would you prefer Europe have remained Papist and Roman Catholic?

Did not God say He could and would use anyone to bring about His purposes. So, being witness to somethng of God is no guarantee the man who seems to bringing it in the Name Jesus is, of himself, of Jesus.

"And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is on our part. For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward."
Mark 9:38-41 (KJV)

Though perhaps a similarity, that passage speaks of one doing miracles in the Name of Jesus they did not know. You never even susggested that of Spurgeon of Knox. How come?

God's Truth

"And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory."
Mark 13:26 (KJV)

Why not, "Son of God", meathead?

God the Father came as a Son because that is what ANY ONE IS CALLED WHEN THEY COME FORTH FROM SOMEONE.

Jesus is God the Father come in the flesh as a Son.

God's Truth

Denied what? They did not - as you indicate - deny the power. They simply denied that they held a position where they were to prophesy. What Spurgeon described as prophecy ironically (I think) denied to call it that. But he said it was of God, admitted its accuracy and simply said he was used of God. That's not denying the power - just the label. No biblical issue that I see with that. God can correct him if so needed.

And if you deny the fruit of Knox, for example, would you prefer Europe have remained Papist and Roman Catholic?

Who cares what Spurgeon said?!!!!!!

nikolai_42

I am a classical Pentecostal, independent of any particular Penteostal persuasion.

Did not God say He could and would use anyone to bring about His purposes. So, being witness to somethng of God is no guarantee the man who seems to bringing it in the Name Jesus is, of himself, of Jesus.

"And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is on our part. For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward."
Mark 9:38-41 (KJV)

If you are saying the Reformation was good but the Reformers were wicked, I say that there is a limited extent to which that argument should be taken. Otherwise, why not treat the apostles that way? Let's take it to the extreme and say it's possible no evangelists were ever in Christ and even though they brought others to Christ(or...possibly did...we can't tell about them either), they may have been wicked men. Let God be true and every man a liar (after all). But where is HIS reward? No fruit, then, is a good indicator (except, you say, Pentecost...and I'm guessing tongues).

Knox and Spurgeon (through whom Chambers was brought to Christ, I might add) certainly did see much good fruit. And if you admit the Reformation was a work of God, can't escape that (Knox, certainly). But if you see the Reformation as the second coming of the RCC, then that's a whole 'nother issue.

Though perhaps a similarity, that passage speaks of one doing miracles in the Name of Jesus they did not know. You never even susggested that of Spurgeon of Knox. How come?

If I were to pray for someone and they were healed (which I have done), I would hardly claim that I was a healer or even had the gift of healing. That, I propose, is the spirit in which the utterances of Knox and Spurgeon are offered. Just because they don't want to point to the sign itself but rather the content of the message doesn't mean they deny the Spirit's work.

An incident is recalled of a child who was very sick with a contagious disease which was declared fatal by the doctor. Mr. Spurgeon visited the home at the request of the family, knelt with them in a circle around the bed, and offered up a prayer for the child's salvation and added a petition for her recovery, if it should be in accordance with the will of God. The father and mother both followed in prayer, and when they arose from their knees the child, just then becoming conscious, asked for water and said: "I feel very much better." From that point in the child's sickness there was no break in her continual recovery. She afterward stated to her mother that during the prayer she felt a "strange sensation running all over her, as though the fever began to decline at her head and gradually passed off at her feet."

From Chapter 7 of The Life of Spurgeon by Russell Conwell (1892)

To whom was Spurgeon praying?

Eagles Wings

Why would you do that?

Spurgeon did not preach all truth, as is in the Holy Bible.

Why take a chance of taking in his false teachings?
Of course not, and no one is saying he did. All writings of men are fallible, on that we agree, even our own writings here.

This is why we discuss doctrine, to root out error and how do we do that but by writing and talking?

This rooting out of error is precisely what the Christian Church has done since Pentecost.

So, we read and we talk. Right?

Most importantly though, as a Reformer I say, "Sola Scriptura", which means that Scripture is the final authority on all matters of doctrine and Christian living.

God's Truth

Of course not, and no one is saying he did. All writings of men are fallible, on that we agree, even our own writings here.

This is why we discuss doctrine, to root out error and how do we do that but by writing and talking?

This rooting out of error is precisely what the Christian Church has done since Pentecost.

So, we read and we talk. Right?

As a true Reformer we say, "Sola Scriptura", which means that Scripture is the final authority on all matters of doctrine and Christian living.

What I say here is not error, because I preach obey Jesus.

When someone keeps talking about Spurgeon, or Calvin, or Luther, etc, then they are proving that they are lost.

Eagles Wings

What I say here is not error, because I preach obey Jesus.

When someone keeps talking about Spurgeon, or Calvin, or Luther, etc, then they are proving that they are lost.
We can judge another's doctrine, not another's salvation in Christ. As He saved a wretch like me, so can He save those who are doctrinally confused and of course, dead in sin.

You talk about the abuse others spew forth here. I think judging someone to be without God's saving grace because they do not agree with you, is a disgrace.

Last edited:

Eagles Wings

I consider all Arminians unregenerate and remaining in the darkness of false teaching.
I would say possibly only those who stubbornly refuse to acknowledge God's sovereignty in their regeneration, and even then, who is to say what God's purpose is in their confusion. I myself was attending a church teaching grave error, much of which I believed, while having been saved in my early 20's.

God's Truth

We can judge another's doctrine, not another's salvation in Christ. As He saved a wretch like me, so can He save those who are doctrinally confused and of course, dead in sin.

You talk about the abuse others spew forth here. I think judging someone to be without God's saving grace because they do not agree with you, is a disgrace.

Paul says you are worldly.

I believe Paul and say you need to look up what a hypocrite is. Why did you joke around with those who said I was not saved and called me names?

Cross Reference

If you are saying the Reformation was good but the Reformers were wicked, I say that there is a limited extent to which that argument should be taken. Otherwise, why not treat the apostles that way?

Nic. I really don't like anyone putting words on paper and calling them mine. Get my drift? Why not start over with your opinion absent such words as "wicked" that my reply will be something I might otherwise enjoy giving you? Thank you.

God's Truth

I would say possibly only those who stubbornly refuse to acknowledge God's sovereignty in their regeneration, and even then, who is to say what God's purpose is in their confusion. I myself was attending a church teaching grave error, much of which I believed, while having been saved in my early 20's.

Did you not just say this:

Eagles Wings

Paul says you are worldly.

I believe Paul and say you need to look up what a hypocrite is. Why did you joke around with those who said I was not saved and called me names?
I don't know how to gently say that you are expecting Christian behavior from others that you are not exhibiting yourself. We ALL must look at ourselves and ask whether we are behaving as Christ would have us.

You say, I am lost, they say, you are lost. I KNOW who I am, in/by Christ, so I am secure in Him.

Cross Reference

Denied what? They did not - as you indicate - deny the power. They simply denied that they held a position where they were to prophesy. What Spurgeon described as prophecy ironically (I think) denied to call it that. But he said it was of God, admitted its accuracy and simply said he was used of God. That's not denying the power - just the label. No biblical issue that I see with that. God can correct him if so needed.

While openly acknowledged God, they nevertheless denied His Power by making excuses in their in performing what might be otherwise called a Pentecostal happening. . . . which they have to deny as being possible and therefore must be of some other means God chooses by a "sovereign" act to perform.