Racism, Bigotry and Misogyny at TOL

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I have to disagree, they have not "chosen the consequences" but, have chosen to assume the risk of consequences happening for any said behavior, same could be said for any behavior that can have possible poor consequences. I don't believe any person deliberately goes out choosing bad things to befall them but some are willing to risk it, you see it with drugs, homosexuality, hetero sexual promiscuity , etc., they are all risky behaviors that have possible consequences but, nobody asks for it, so to speak.

right - they haven't explicitly said "i want to get raped!"

instead, what they've said, internally, is "i don't care to listen to the warnings. I won't be told what to do. I think i can act this way without facing any consequences"

perhaps what they're choosing is to be stupid, to play stupid games

you know what you win when you play stupid games, right?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
ya know - if someone says something that upsets you here, you can just ignore it :idunno:

it's not like you're gonna change any minds by acting like an outraged retard
:rotfl:

The irony thickens!

I just love this place!

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

You win this ....

Koban
Resurrected
resodko

I just love this place!

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
must be tequila monday down in texas :idunno:

half price before noon?
ya know - if someone says something that upsets you here, you can just ignore it :idunno:

it's not like you're gonna change any minds by acting like an outraged retard

I just love this place!

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
Since you were made a TOL moderator (and I assume that prestigious position has since been revoked), I've mockingly treated you with respect. While I had asked myself many times why a secular humanist like you was even considered for that position, I respected the decision that TOL management made and remained silent on the issue.

Sadly bybee who, as a decent human being, has been somewhat disappointed by the levels of conservative Christian bigotry endemic on ToL it seems.
I however wouldn't expect anything else and await your enrolment as a new ToL Mod aCW, just as soon as the dust has settled.
You might start practicing a gushing and lisping acceptance speech today perhaps? :plain:

When the day comes where bybee meets God at His Gates, I'm sure He'll be impressed with her resume' showing the kind words a godless Libertarian like Aaron and an atheist like you have to say about her.

Well, as much as I don't care to give credit to ACW for anything, at least he isn't one of those who jumped on the "beating your wife" and "women deserve to be raped" bandwagon.

My wife sleeps with an army boot knife within reach of her side of the bed and was also on her high school's rifle team.

10-5-inch-military-boot-knife-camo.jpg

i.e. my momma didn't raise no fool.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
right - they haven't explicitly said "i want to get raped!"

instead, what they've said, internally, is "i don't care to listen to the warnings. I won't be told what to do. I think i can act this way without facing any consequences"

But, isn't that true with any behavior? homosexuality, promiscuity, drugs, adultery, et al? All who sin, don't go into a sinful behavior with knowledge of the outcome, nor do they choose the outcome, they have chosen to assume the risk when they engage in it, no? It is poor argument to say someone "asks for it" when they make a choice.

alwight

Well, as much as I don't care to give credit to ACW for anything, at least he isn't one of those who jumped on the "beating your wife" and "women deserve to be raped" bandwagon.
aCW just does do bandwagons I suspect, preferring to be the centre of attention.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You win this ....

Koban
Resurrected
resodko

I just love this place!

Oh ... let's not forget Someotherdude

right - they haven't explicitly said "i want to get banned!"

I just love this place!

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My wife sleeps with an army boot knife within reach of her side of the bed and was also on her high school's rifle team.

My comment still stands. Unlike those who are being defended, you do not promote and have in fact spoken out against rape and domestic violence.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I'm disappointed too, Nori. I'm disappointed that you didn't speak out when ClimateSanity was calling women vicious animals, when sod said rape was a choice that women make, when Trad talked about the justice of beating in a wife's face until she was dead, and when Crucible said marital rape was impossible, and due to the sin of a wife.

Its clear the racism, bigotry and misogyny shown by the above four posters plus others is institutionally supported at TOL.

An.Ben.: What I said wasn't mysogynistic. I explicitly said that a wife should have an equal right of vengeance in like circumstances.

rexlunae

Sure, AnnaBenedetti will go out of her way to look up various of my remarks and copy/paste them on to a thread.

But actually provide arguments against them?
Actually engage me on the issues without basing herself on her visceral emotive reactions?
Actually think through the issues rather than simply resort to saying "boo" over and over again?

:troll:

No, no. That's apparently too much to expect from that crowd.

The social liberal presence on this thread is one of sheer quasi-moral outrage. Which is, of course, positively amusing to me.

You disagree with us so much, Quetzal? Then face us like a man and present arguments.

Your amusement is palpable. No one could miss it. It's a hallmark of trolling. But that just heightens the impulse to ignore you or write you off. You protest being categorized as racist, and then you post song lyrics like the ones above. You can only face someone "like a man" who presents as such.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

right - they haven't explicitly said "i want to get banned!"

And don't forget all the reports to the Woodshed ... where they pretend someone is doing something outrageous that they haven't been doing on a daily basis ... for YEARS.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
i do

you were struck by the irony of a theater full of people expecting to see on screen what they unexpectedly were faced with in real life

Oh yeah. That is pretty funny. :chuckle:

Still highly insensitive on my part, though, and I'm deeply sorry if I offended anyone thereby.

ok doser

But, isn't that true with any behavior? homosexuality, promiscuity, drugs, adultery, et al? All who sin, don't go into a sinful behavior with knowledge of the outcome, nor do they choose the outcome, they have chosen to assume the risk when they engage in it, no? It is poor argument to say someone "asks for it" when they make a choice.

when I made the statement that outraged anna, I was thinking of a specific scenario here on campus (well, that and the Swarthmore case that was debated ad infinitum), in which a female student disregarded the advice that had been plastered all over campus - don't go to parties alone, don;t leave your drink unattended, don't go home with people you don't know, etc, etc - there were flyers, there were lectures, there were symposia, there were classroom discussions, etc - this girl chose to ignore those warnings and engage in behaviors that she knew put her at risk of being sexually assaulted, and guess what happened?

She claimed afterwards that she had been sexually assaulted.

the guy, of course, claimed otherwise

the debate raged on campus - who was right? who was wrong? should she have borne any blame for choosing to act foolishly? (that one, as you can imagine, wasn't a popular point of discussion)

my take on it?

by choosing to act in the way she did, with full knowledge of the risk involved, she was indeed culpable

she chose to be raped

ok doser

Oh yeah. That is pretty funny. :chuckle:

Still highly insensitive on my part, though, and I'm deeply sorry if I offended anyone thereby.

you offended zoo and anna enough that they filed it away and remember it today, some four years later

and they're still outraged

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Everyone, as in you, A4T, and Tambora.
Another false allegation from you.
I have never claimed that you are the same person with a different username.

You should be quite exhausted at being wrong so often.