Public shaming of drug addicts - Do you think its a deterant to drug use?

Public shaming of drug addicts - Do you think its a deterant to drug use?

• yes

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • no, please state why in thread

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I think part of this happening with older people is that they get hooked on the prescription opiates, then when their doctor doesnt give them more or enough anymore, they seek heroin, because its way cheaper than opiate pills on the street.

Not anyone close to may age! I never seen any heroin, accept on television. No one like me would ever allow themselves to be addicted to a drug; common sense and the shame of it all would be more a deterrence than pulling the trigger of a loaded gun, while looking down the barrel!

In fact, the only way anyone from of my generation and upbringing would take an excesses amount of any known addictive drug would be if he or she was an atheistic moron who wanted to commit suicide.

Believe me, I do not live under a rock; no one of many old folks I know has any inclination towards making themselves the same as those they constantly complain about, by engaging is the very behavior we ridicule.

Maybe there are some 75-year-old cuckoos out there, but I never met any, and not one person, even my kids age would fool around with what is obviously potentially addictive.

It just does not happen. This is why we are so sick and tired of punk kids taking minor tranquilizers for kicks when we need them to get better sleep.

And spare me the naive addiction nonsense. I have taken a drug like this for over 35 years and then went down to one-quarter the original dose for several years before just wearing thin of seeing physicians growing younger and stupider, year after year, until now they have less sense than my grand-kids who also never have any addiction problems.

Drug abusers are weak willed people who are ruled by their emotions and have no sense of future consequences.:mmph:

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Drug abusers are weak willed people who are ruled by their emotions and have no sense of future consequences.:mmph:

There are many factors which leads to drug addiction, and a 'weak will' is the least of them. I love that you use the word 'naive', because you are simply a blown up, self righteous imbecile who doesn't know jack about much of anything. You're ruled by your own vain, contemptible mindset, and your future was guaranteed by simply asserting what you already had.

I had a conversation with this man who suffered with alcoholism for a lot of his life, and told me about how 'your generation' is. You all did a great job of shunning pretty much anyone who didn't live up to your pharisaic standards. You come from a culture of Puritans :wave2:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
You come from a culture of Puritans :wave2:
:Clete:
Maybe so, but we are in no manner to be assumed, in any way, to be lacking in intelligence. :listen: :dunce:You are just a bad boy for talking to me the way you have here; it is clear to me you were from the 'spare the rod and spoil the child' generation.:baby::turkey: :loser:

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Maybe so, but we are in no manner to be assumed, in any way, to be lacking in intelligence.

:chuckle:
That's a good one. Tell it again.

There's nothing intelligent about Puritan culture. It's anti-intelligence.

You are just a bad boy for talking to me the way you have here; it is clear to me you were from the 'spare the rod and spoil the child' generation.

:rotfl:
Encore!

I was raised in a world you do not comprehend and where your perceived holier-than-thou attitude crumbles. You think that everything is the way you see it, and it's not :wave2:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Her daughter ‘died’ from an opioid overdose. And then ‘she was back.’

Roxanne Shuttleworth was in shock.

Her 31-year-old daughter had called her on the phone to explain that she and a friend had overdosed on a drug that, unknown to them, was cut with carfentanil, a deadly synthetic opioid that authorities say is 10,000 times stronger than morphine and 100 times stronger than its cousin, fentanyl.

Her daughter was in a hospital in Winnipeg, Manitoba, where she had been brought in as "an unknown," or a Jane Doe — too ill to communicate with the medical team that was trying to keep her alive. Once she regained consciousness, she called her mother and told her that she had died but that doctors had then saved her with an opioid overdose antidote known as naloxone.

"She had died, and she was back," Shuttleworth told The Washington Post. "I just immediately said, 'I’ll be there. I’ll be right there.'"

It was Nov. 7 when Shuttleworth's daughter overdosed on a deadly drug cocktail that has police and medical personnel across Canada and the United States alarmed. "There’s a wave coming, and it’s scary," Shuttleworth said. "I’ve yet to meet a family who is not affected by drug addiction. I’m talking about people from every walk of life. It’s everywhere."

Shuttleworth, who is indigenous, said she worries not only about her own daughter but about others in their communities. She said the reason she is sharing her daughter's story is because she wants to raise awareness about the threats from opioids, specifically carfentanil. "It’s amazing how many people don’t now about it — that it's being cut with other drugs, and how dangerous it is," she said.

The 55-year-old Winnipeg mother said she did not know which drug her daughter and her daughter's friend thought they were about to use earlier this month but that they had no idea it was apparently mixed with carfentanil, a drug that was typically used as elephant tranquilizer before humans began ingesting it, with deadly results.

Her daughter, whom Shuttleworth declined to name, said that a friend had tried it first, tasting the blend of drugs from the tip of his pinkie. Then, Shuttleworth's daughter did the same.

Moments later, Shuttleworth said, her daughter's friend was leaning over. "She jokingly pushed him and said, 'What are you doing?'" Shuttleworth said. "Then he fell back on her. His were lips were turning blue."

The daughter called 911; when paramedics arrived, she started to collapse. Both were rushed to a nearby hospital, where Shuttleworth's daughter was given naloxone every two hours. The friend died of an overdose, Shuttleworth said.

In the hospital, Shuttleworth said: "I asked her what happened. How had she ended up here. My main question was why? She said she and her friend tried it together, but they didn’t realize. She was very sick, very very sick. She was hardly speaking. ... They had to keep her on the antidote until her system had cleared the drug."

Her daughter has since been released from the hospital, Shuttleworth said. "She’s grieving right now. Her friend didn’t make it, " the mother said. "She has a bit of survivor’s guilt. It's an emotional time right now."

Officials said they cannot be certain the drug taken by the daughter and friend was cut with carfentanil, though they presume it was.

Both Canada and the United States have been battling a fast-moving and far-reaching opioid epidemic. Canada is reported to be the second-highest opioid consumer in the world, according to the Canadian Medical Association Journal. The Canadian Institute for Health Information and the Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse released a report last week about the country's opioid epidemic, which has led to a spike in overdose hospitalizations. In 2015, about 2,000 Canadians died from opioid overdoses, according to the Canadian Medical Association Journal, though experts say that these numbers are merely estimaties.

Carfentanil, a synthetic opioid that is one of the deadliest on the market, has been used as an elephant tranquilizer. When mixed with other drugs, such as heroin, it gives users a more potent, longer-lasting high. The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration recently issued a warning on carfentanil, which, it said, has been "linked to a significant number of overdose deaths" across the United States.

"Carfentanil is surfacing in more and more communities," DEA Acting Administrator Chuck Rosenberg said. "We see it on the streets, often disguised as heroin. It is crazy dangerous. Synthetics such as fentanyl and carfentanil can kill you."

In Canada — specifically, Manitoba's capital Winnipeg — authorities are seeing an increase in fentanyl and its deadlier cousin, carfentanil. They first found carfentanil in Winnipeg last summer during a raid at a hotel room, according to the Canadian Press.

"Where before a paramedic would go to one or two overdoses a year, now we’re seeing firefighter-paramedics attending to overdoses every single day," Alex Forrest, with the United Fire Fighters of Winnipeg, told the Canadian Press. "Our guys and girls are going out to these calls and going to these events, and sometimes we have two or three individuals that we’re reviving that are on the verge of cardiac arrest because of the fentanyl use."

Authorities in Winnipeg have urged opioid users, as well as their families and friends, to get naloxone overdose prevention kits, which are available at local pharmacies without prescriptions.

Bronwyn Penner-Holigroski, a spokeswoman for the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority, said each time there is a suspected overdose in Winnipeg, emergency personnel try to treat the patient based on the symptoms. "That may include collecting diagnostic information, ventilation, starting an IV and/or using pharmaceutical intervention (such as naloxone)," she said in a statement to The Post.

Margaret Thompson, the medical director of the Ontario Poison Centre, told The Post that medical personnel may work on the presumption that severe opioid overdoses are from carfentanil, but hospitals in Canada have no way to test for it. It may be that the only facility that can do conclusive testing for the drug is a laboratory available to Canadian law enforcement agencies, Thompson said.

In the case involving Shuttleworth's daughter, Thompson said, "we can only say it was a very potent opioid. We cannot say it was carfentanil." However, she said, based on reports that the woman and her friend had such a severe reaction to the drug after tasting only a small amount from their finger tips, "it suggested it was very potent."

Shuttleworth said her daughter experienced a trauma when she was 12 years old and soon started struggling with drug addiction.

"Addictions are just a symptoms; there’s always a deeper trauma," Shuttleworth said. "It’s basically taught me faith because, as any family member of an addict will tell you, there’s really nothing you can do — just support and love without enabling. There have been days and months and years where she’s been in God’s hands, and that’s what kept me going."

Shuttleworth said her daughter had never overdosed before and that although she has recovered, she does not know how long it will be before her daughter starts using again.

"There’s no shame and blame in addiction," the mother said. "It’s a symptom of something far deeper."

Yes - its called hopelessness, born from a society who has pushed God out.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Nearly 50 Philadelphia Residents Overdose on Heroin in One Day

PHILADELPHIA — Nearly 50 residents in Philadelphia residents overdosed on heroin on Thursday, many of whom had to be revived with the narcotics reversal drug Narcan.

NBC Philadelphia reports
that the overdoses occurred in an area known as “The Badlands,” which covers the Kensington neighborhood and parts of North Philadelphia.

Investigators believe that a dangerous batch of heroin sold on the street might be to blame for the overdoses, but officials are continuing to look into the matter. In some cases, heroin is reportedly mixed with fentanyl or cut with rat poison.

In August, Philadelphia health officials announced that there had been a 636 percent increase in overdoses of fentanyl in the city over the past two years. 184 residents died of fentanyl-related matters last year, compared to 25 two years ago. In the first few months of 2016, a reported 99 people had died from fentanyl overdoses.

“Clearly, we have an epidemic,” Philadelphia Health Commissioner Dr. Thomas Farley said at a news conference about the matter.

The Philadelphia Police Department has confirmed that there were an abnormally high number of hospitalizations due to drugs on Thursday, but spoke about the matter in general terms in a statement released on Friday.

“Within the past twenty-four hours, Philadelphia has experienced an increase in 911 calls for drug-related hospital cases,” the Philadelphia Police Department said in a statement on Friday. “There have been over one hundred calls received by police; however, the number of calls alone does not necessarily mean that the calls are founded assignments or different incidents.”

“The increase has occurred in more than one division within the city which is a concern for us. Therefore, we are currently investigating the nature of these calls, as well as the factors relating to the increase for medical attention,” it wrote. “The Philadelphia Police Department will continue to aggressively investigate this matter through a myriad of techniques; furthermore, the Patrol and Narcotics Bureaus will continue intense narcotics enforcement within the city to reduce the sales and distribution of illegal narcotics.”

As previously reported, heroin has been in the headlines on a number of occasions in recent months, including this past week as state and federal authorities are seeking to fine a nursing home in Chicago, Illinois over $100,000 after five residents overdosed on heroin this year.

Last month, authorities in Hope, Indiana released photos of a young mother who was found unresponsive—with a baby in the back seat of the car.

Erika Hurt, 25, was administered two doses of Narcan, a nasal spray that works to reverse suspected Opioid overdoses. Hurt was transported to the Columbus Regional Hospital for further evaluation, and later taken to Bartholomew County Jail, where she was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and child neglect. The baby was turned over to the custody of Hurt’s mother.

In September, an Ohio grandmother and her friend lost consciousness while on the way to the hospital to obtain help for an overdose. The woman’s grandson was riding in the back seat.

The City of East Liverpool posted to social media an unblurred photo of Rhonda Pasek, 50, and James Accord, 47—along with the young boy—stating that it needed to “be a voice for the children.”

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
'Addiction Is Not a Character Flaw': Surgeon General Report - Seventy-eight people die each day from an opioid overdose, the report said

In what may be his last significant act as President Barack Obama's surgeon general, Dr. Vivek Murthy released a report Thursday calling for a major cultural shift in the way Americans view drug and alcohol addiction.

The report, "Facing Addiction in America," details the toll addiction takes on the nation — 78 people die each day from an opioid overdose; 20 million have a substance use disorder — and explains how brain science offers hope for recovery. While its findings have been reported elsewhere, including by other federal agencies, the report seeks to inspire action and sway public opinion in the style of the 1964 surgeon general's landmark report on smoking.

With President-elect Donald Trump taking office, it's uncertain whether access to addiction treatment will improve or deteriorate. Trump and the Republican-led Congress are pledging to repeal and replace the 2010 Affordable Care Act, which made addiction treatment an essential health benefit.

In an interview Wednesday, Murthy said he hasn't spoken to Trump but looks forward to working with his administration to save lives with expanded access to treatment.

cdc-us-overdose-deaths-2014_jr-1.jpg

"We have made progress," Murthy said. "How do we keep that progress going? A key part is making sure people have insurance coverage."

The Associated Press reviewed the report ahead of its official release. Here's a look at what's in it and some early reaction:

MEDICATION MYTHS
The surgeon general's report refutes abstinence-only philosophies as unscientific and supports medications such as buprenorphine and methadone that are used to treat opioid addiction. That may annoy supporters of traditional 12-step programs who see medications as substituting one addiction for another.

Medication-assisted treatment for opioid addiction can take time. "One study suggested that individuals who receive MAT for fewer than 3 years are more likely to relapse than those who are in treatment for 3 or more years," the report states

V-STYLE INTERVENTIONS
Staged interventions, like those depicted on TV, may backfire. Planned surprise confrontations "have not been demonstrated to be an effective way to engage people in treatment," the report says. The trouble with the approach? According to the surgeon general's report, it can heighten resistance and attack the self-worth of the addict.

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS
Alcoholics Anonymous was founded in 1935 because mainstream medicine wasn't treating alcohol disorders. That started a legacy of separating addiction treatment from the rest of medicine.

The report makes room for AA and other recovery support services, noting they don't require health insurance and are free, but it also says they "are not the same as treatment and have only recently been included as part of the health care system."

AA gets praise for adaptability. American Indians, for instance, have incorporated Native spirituality and allowed families to attend meetings. Research shows AA to be "an effective recovery resource," the report concludes.

HIGHER ALCOHOL TAXES
Alcohol tax policies get a nod in a section on evidence-based prevention: "Higher alcohol taxes have also been shown to reduce alcohol consumption." Other policies suggested by research include limiting the density of stores selling alcohol, banning Sunday sales and holding bars liable for serving minors.

WHAT ABOUT MARIJUANA?
The report suggests learning from alcohol and tobacco policies to find out what works to minimize harm as marijuana becomes legal.

Voters in eight states have approved adult use of recreational marijuana and more than two dozen states have medical marijuana laws. The report cites "a growing body of research" suggesting marijuana's chemicals can help with "pain, nausea, epilepsy, obesity, wasting disease, addiction, autoimmune disorders, and other conditions."

Murthy supports easing existing barriers to marijuana studies, but said Wednesday that he's worried the legalization movement is moving faster than research. "Marijuana is in fact addictive," he said.

NOT A MORAL FAILING
Addiction is a chronic illness, not a character flaw or a moral failing, the report says. Stigma and shame have kept people from seeking help and weakened public investment.

Murthy issues a call to action in the preface: "How we respond to this crisis is a moral test for America. Are we a nation willing to take on an epidemic that is causing great human suffering and economic loss?"

RED STATE-BLUE STATE ISSUE
Ohio Republican Sen. Rob Portman, co-sponsor of bipartisan legislation passed this year that creates grants to expand treatment programs, said he hopes the report raises awareness.

"We have to change the way we talk about addiction and break the stigma to help more Americans suffering from this disease get the treatment and recovery they need," Portman said.

Addiction should be a bipartisan issue, said Democratic former U.S. Rep. Patrick J. Kennedy, an addiction treatment advocate.

"This affects all of America, but it really affects the Trump voter," Kennedy said. Red states such as West Virginia, Ohio and Kentucky have the highest overdose rates, Kennedy said. Enforcing laws that require insurers to cover addiction treatment will be a test of Trump's "promise to put average Americans ahead of corporate interests," said Kennedy.

And the reason its getting worse and worse is BECAUSE people are saying "its not a moral problem" when it IS.

Christ is the answer, not drugs. All are sinners in need of salvation. The further we move as a society away from God, the darker it will keep getting.

Sin IS a character flaw, fixed only by God.

Danoh

'Addiction Is Not a Character Flaw': Surgeon General Report - Seventy-eight people die each day from an opioid overdose, the report said

And the reason its getting worse and worse is BECAUSE people are saying "its not a moral problem" when it IS.

Christ is the answer, not drugs. All are sinners in need of salvation. The further we move as a society away from God, the darker it will keep getting.

Addiction is too often viewed as an addiction to an external something - be it a drug, or an activity of some sort that is generally viewed within a culture as seriously problematic.

But emotions and thought are also chemically based.

Thus, a phrase like "toxic thinking" and or "lifestyle."

In this, that part in paragraph 9 "V Style Interventions" in the above article, raised a very important point.

Where it related the finding that "Confrontation...can heighten resistance and attack the self-worth of the addict."

That is the exact problem one encounters on this very forum (and throughout most others) - on all sides of the fence.

The finding that most are simply anything but truly objective.

As a result, to attempt to confront their one-sided view is to "heighten (their) resistance and (in their mind, is to) attack the self-worth of (of them as) the addict."

Note how hostile most on here get when their view is met with any question or view that questions it.

Theirs is the same exact response the above finding relates is the response of the addict when confronted about his self-delusion.

I also find it interesting how the Lord had dealt with the issue of the disenfranchised among His people, in contrast to how the self-righteous "our way alone, or the highway" hypocrites of His day, had dealt with them.

He would go and invest time within their midst (of the disenfranchised).

For this He was viewed as a sell out; as "playing both sides" and all the other fool conclusions of those blind as a bat in their one-sided views.

This objectivity of His - of dealing with one and all objectively - was experienced by the various one-sided and therefore self-righteous hypocrites, as a confrontation they simply could not tolerate.

That is what duplicity results in, in a person.

That is why so many on here are so self-righteous in their one-sided reporting of things.

Do not expect such to inderstand the real issues of addiction; for they are each too busy blinded by their own one-sided addiction.

Addiction being an aspect of perception...gone haywire.

It is how the external drug addict first begins his path.

It is how the internal drug addicts playing fools with one another on these threads, first began each their version of their one-sided addiction.

On all sides, each's is nothing more than the bondage of religion.

The grace-less grace of "me and my group's way, or the highway, bud."

Left...Right...Sideways...Whatever...merely labels for a different shade of the same double-standard from all sides towards one another.

I continue to find it all fascinating, this Commitment Consistency compulsion of ours that we human beings so often entrap ourselves into one form of addiction or another, by.

Not surprisingly, therein also lies...the cure.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned

Backpedaling Olympics
Collect your trophy :first:

Danoh

Sin is NOT a CHARACTER flaw.

Man is not a sinner because he is compelled to sin and or can't stop.

Rather, man is compelled to sin and or can't stop because he is a sinner.

And addiction is not a moral problem.

Rather, it is the result of how human beings are built neuro-physiologically - whether lost or saved.

A morality of sorts can help - including a Christian one - but one is still dealing with automatic neuro-physiological systems that are meant to be not only automatic, but powerful.

Systems the recurrent patterns of which once set in motion, are meant to take on a life of their own within the individual much like the countless other neuro-physiological actions one engages in throughout one's day without so much as a thought about them.

Obviously, you are basically rendering a conclusion on this from not only from within your very limited personal experience, but from within your just as obviously very limited knowledge on the various neuro-physiological mechanisms at work within all human beings.

Ten to one you engage in behaviors you wish you did not engage.

And even some of those often have their right time and place.

These issues are never the black or white too many look at too many things from...addictively.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Sin is NOT a CHARACTER flaw.
yes it is, by the very definition:

A character flaw is a limitation, imperfection, problem, phobia, or deficiency present in a character who may be otherwise very functional. The flaw can be a problem that directly affects the character's actions and abilities, such as a violent temper.
Character flaw - Wikipedia

We are imperfect outside of relationship with Christ - sin passed to all men from adam.

Romans 5:12 Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, so also death was passed on to all men, because all sinned.

Romans 5:18
Therefore, just as one trespass brought condemnation for all men, so also one act of righteousness brought justification and life for all men.

Romans 5:19
For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
More updates:

3C8CDFCE00000578-0-image-a-35_1485478403277.jpg

Drugged out USA: The moment a couple high on meth and heroin were found passed out in SUV with their two babies in the back

Police in Sarasota, Florida, arrested William Ballard, 36, and Delaney Crissinger, 32
Couple was found passed out in the front seats of an SUV with a five-month-old child and a one-year-old in the backseat
A number of bystanders called 911 and then blocked the SUV with their cars in case the couple woke up and tried to drive away
A search of the car turned up quantities of methamphetamine, heroin, fentanyl, and a loaded syringe next to a container of baby formula

Law enforcement officials in Florida arrested a Sarasota couple that was found passed out in their car from an apparent high dosage of drugs with two babies on the backseat.

William Ballard, 36, and Delaney Crissinger, 32, drove their SUV into a Texaco gas station on Fruitville Road before dawn on Thursday morning, according to Fox 13.

At approximately 8am, customers who drove into the gas station noticed the couple passed out in the front seats.

In the back of the car, there were two toddlers – a five-month-old and a one-year-old.

Witnesses also reported seeing a significant amount of drugs. They then called 911.

A number of bystanders blockaded the SUV with their cars just in case the couple woke up and tried to drive away.

When police arrived, the couple was still asleep in the car.

A subsequent search turned up methamphetamine, heroin, fentanyl, drug paraphernalia, and a loaded syringe on the floor next to a container of baby formula.

'We don't really see what addiction is about until we see something like that and that what saddens me most about it.' said Eric Roundtree, who works at a restaurant next door.

'You're an adult, you can do what you want to do but don't bring your kids involved. And those two little innocent kids didn't have nothing to do with this but now they're shaken up.'

'It's a sad situation all around,' said Lt. Joe Giasone.

'You've got people that are committing crimes and using drugs, doing those things, then you have them bringing their kids along with them creating other victims.'

'Anyone that would leave that would leave kids in the back of the car when they have the amount of drugs that were in this car, it's sad for the kids.'.. more at link

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
'I think my dad is dead': Heartbreaking 911 call of 8-year-old boy whose father overdosed on heroin in car next to his three children

Boy, 8, called 911 after his father passed out in a parking lot in Waukesha, Wisconsin, on Wednesday
Tearfully told dispatcher he was worried his father was dead as he tried to wake him
The boy's father was found slumped over the driver's seat around 5.45pm
Boy was in the car with his two younger brothers, who are four and six years old
A Good Samaritan walked by and gave dispatchers the exact address
Paramedics revived father at scene; he will face charges upon hospital release

An eight-year-old Wisconsin boy is being hailed as a hero for calling 911 after his father allegedly overdosed on heroin and nearly lost his life.

The boy, named Christopher, thought he had lost his father forever when he called for help around 5.45pm on Wednesday.

'I think my dad is dead,' he tearfully told the dispatcher. 'He's not waking up for anything.'

Christopher's father was slumped over the driver's seat and the keys were still in the ignition of the car, parked in front of a school district building in Waukesha.

The boy's two younger brothers, aged four and six, were also in the backseat.

Dispatchers worked to figure out where the boy was, asking Christopher to describe the area around him.

'Do you know exactly where you are?' one dispatcher asked him.

'No, I have no clue,' replied Christopher.

'Are you able to describe what is around you right now?' the dispatcher asked.

'There's a lot of trees,' Christopher replied, also describing that he was by a building with large windows and saw houses located behind a fence.

As dispatchers worked to use GPS to ping the family's location, a Good Samaritan stopped by to help Christopher, according to WISN.

The man gave the dispatcher the exact address of the Waukesha School District administration building and described the scary scene.

'The father is in the driver seat slumped over,' he told them. 'Not responding or anything.'

'I don't know what's going on. I just walked in to a meeting. Doesn't look good, if you could get someone here that'd be great.'

The Good Samaritan took Christopher's father's pulse and found out he was alive.

Two minutes after Christopher rang 911, first responders were at the scene.

Paramedics helped Christopher's father regain consciousness and he was taken to a hospital for further treatment, according to TMJ4.

Investigators believe he had used drugs in the car. He will face charges as soon as he is released.

Christopher and his younger brothers were handed over to their mother.

Waukesha police hailed Christopher for his quick thinking and bravery.

'Just a great job by the eight-year-old,' Lt Kevin Rice told WISN.

'Unbelievable maturity in his ability to recognize his dad was in distress and to do the right thing and literally save his dad's life.

'The real tragedy here,' he added, 'Is these children had to witness their father go through a drug overdose.'

HOW HEROIN IS KILLING AMERICA

The current heroin epidemic has been called the worst drug crisis in the country's history, killing 33,000 people in just 2015 alone.

Overdose deaths are now nearly equal to the number of fatal car crashes and last year, for the first time, surpassed gun homicides.

The number of opioid overdoses have quadrupled since 1999, and has become a problem in almost every state.

West Virginia, New Hampshire, Kentucky, Ohio and Rhode Island had the highest rate of death due to the drug overdose last year.

An estimated 91 Americans die a day from opioid overdose.

Nothing has illustrated the country's heroin epidemic more recently than pictures of parents who have overdoses in their cars in front of their children.
Law enforcement officials arrested a Sarasota, Florida couple (above) that was found passed out in their car from an apparent overdose – even as they had two babies in the backseat

William Ballard, 36, and Delaney Crissinger, 32, drove their SUV into a Texaco gas station on Fruitville Road before dawn on Thursday morning, a.

At approximately 8am, customers who drove into the gas station noticed the couple passed out in the front seats.

In the back of the car, there were two toddlers – a five-month-old and a one-year-old.

Last month, a couple who drove three hours from their home in Vermont to Massachusetts to buy heroin were found passed out in a car with their one-year-old son and nine-month-old baby boy inside.

Jacob Davis, 27, and his fiancee, 32-year-old Tamara Bruce, were charged with reckless child endangerment after they were arrested in Lawrence, Massachusetts.

It was the same city where mother Mandy McGowan was found lying unconscious from a suspected drug overdose in the middle of a local Family Dollar store.

Her two-year-old daughter was tugging on McGowan's arm.

In October, Erika Hurt was pictured by police as they found her shortly after 2pm in Hope, Indiana, still clutching a syringe in her floppy left hand.

The 25-year-old's 10-month-old son was crying in the backseat.

They were parked outside a Dollar General Store.

3C8D03AD00000578-4164232-In_September_CCTV_footage_emerged_showing_Mandy_McGowan_lying_un-a-22_1485531673593.jpg

In September, CCTV footage emerged showing Mandy McGowan lying unconscious from a suspected drug overdose in the middle of a local Family Dollar store in Lawrence, Massachusetts, with her 2-year-old daughter tugging on her arm

rexlunae

Last edited:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Of course though, the liberal answer to this crisis is to create drug use safe spaces:

Seattle, King County move to create 2 safe sites for drug users

Seattle and King County want to create two safe sites for people dealing with addiction to consume or inject drugs, the first of their kind in the country, Mayor Ed Murray and County Executive Dow Constantine announced. But no locations or funding have been identified yet.

By David Gutman
Seattle Times staff reporter

Seattle and King County will create two safe-consumption sites for drug users, the first of their kind in the country, as part of an effort to halt the surge of heroin and prescription opioid overdose deaths in the region, Mayor Ed Murray and County Executive Dow Constantine announced Friday.

The sites, stocked with the overdose-reversing drug naloxone, aim to save lives and connect people dealing with addiction to treatment services.

Murray and Constantine said they will move forward with all the recommendations of the Heroin and Prescription Opiate Addiction Task Force that they convened last year, the most controversial of which are the safe drug-use sites.

Other recommendations include increasing access to naloxone and medication assisted treatment drugs like Suboxone.

“The crisis is growing beyond anything we have seen before,” Murray said. “We can do something about that.”

No locations or funding have been announced, but Murray said the first of the two sites will be in Seattle, and the second will be outside the city.

He also acknowledged that getting funding may be more difficult with the new presidential administration.

There are still big battles to come, as an “implementation work group,” chaired by Patty Hayes, the director of Public Health – Seattle and King County, tries to determine funding and locations for the sites, which are likely to spur protests from surrounding neighborhoods.

“These things have to exist, physically, somewhere,” said Daniel Malone, director of the Downtown Emergency Service Center, and a task force member. “There is significant trepidation about a location becoming an area that gets really damaged by having this particular activity happen there.”

Both Murray and Constantine were resolute that they could deal with any political blowback caused by the locations of the sites.

“Whatever our discomfort with this as elected officials, as a community, put yourself in the place of a parent who is trying to save his or her child,” Constantine said. “We can put up with a little discomfort in order to be able to help that family heal and help that child recover.”

Said Murray: “Our biggest challenge is ahead of us, making it operational.”

The sites aim to quell the flood of overdose deaths and to connect drug users with health care and long-term treatment. They also aim to move drug abuse off sidewalks and out of alleys.

More than 600 used needles were found in Seattle’s urban core in November, said Brad Finegood, a task force member with the county Department of Community and Human Services.

“People use drugs all throughout our country,” said Caleb Banta-Green, a public health professor at the University of Washington specializing in drug abuse, and a task force member. “People use in public; they don’t want to use in public, and the public doesn’t want them using in public.”

Although no such sites exist in the United States, Vancouver, B.C., has had one since 2003. Drug users come to get clean needles and inject in a safe, supervised environment. Naloxone is used multiple times a day and is credited with preventing nearly 5,000 overdoses at the site in Vancouver.

But the site has not stopped overdose deaths outside its walls. There were 914 overdose deaths in British Columbia, which has about double the population of King County, in 2016. That’s a record number, one largely driven by the rise of fentanyl, a powerful synthetic painkiller that is as much as 100 times more powerful than morphine.

Heroin overdoses killed 132 people in King County in 2015. The death toll rises to 209 when overdoses from prescription opioids — which are, molecularly, virtually identical to heroin — are included.

In the state Legislature, Sen. Mark Miloscia, R-Federal Way, has introduced legislation that would ban safe injection sites throughout the state.

“We must stop the push for decriminalization of drugs,” Miloscia said earlier this month. “Standing idly by while addicts abuse illegal drugs is not compassionate, and it does not solve the problem.”

Another potential complication: While local law enforcement is on board with the sites and Gov. Jay Inslee has said they are a local decision, the task force has not consulted with any federal agency to discuss a possible federal law-enforcement reaction.

Task-force members compared the consumption sites to needle-exchange programs, which the federal government initially opposed but nevertheless allowed localities to implement.

“This is an extension of our needle exchange. We’re treating this as a local issue and we’re using tools that we have,” said Dr. Jeff Duchin, the county public health officer and the task force’s co-chair. “We don’t routinely, and we haven’t in this case, consulted any other authority, and we don’t think we need to.”

I wonder when we will be getting safe spaces for rape and murder?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Drug Distributors Penalized For Turning Blind Eye In Opioid Epidemic

As the toll of the opioid epidemic grows, scores of doctors have lost their licenses and some have gone to prison. Pharmacies are being sued and shuttered. Pharmaceutical manufacturers are under investigation and face new rules from regulators.

But penalties against companies that serve as middlemen between drug companies and pharmacies have been relatively scarce — until recently.

In the past month, two major drug distributors, also known as wholesalers, have formally agreed to pay millions of dollars to settle claims that they failed to report suspicious orders for controlled substances to the Drug Enforcement Administration, as required by law.

McKesson Corp., the largest such company in the U.S., agreed Jan. 17 to pay a $150 million fine. And in late December, Cardinal Health reached a $44 million settlement with the federal government. That's on top of another $20 million that Cardinal Health agreed this month to pay the state of West Virginia, which has been among the hardest hit by opioid overdoses. Other distributors have also agreed to pay smaller amounts to West Virginia within the past few months. AmerisourceBergen, for instance, will pay $16 million.

"Have the distributors gotten the message? I would hope so," said Frank Younker, who worked at the DEA for 30 years and retired as a supervisor in its Cincinnati field office in 2014. "The distributors are important. They're like the quarterback. They distribute the ball. ...There's plenty of blame to go around."

The death toll from drug overdoses topped 52,000 in 2015, including 33,000 involving an opioid, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Although the epidemic began with prescription pills, it is now being driven largely by heroin and various synthetic opioids.

The fines, some of which had been in the works for years, come as news organizations have raised questions about the significant role distributors have played by failing to stop or report pharmacies that appeared to be dispensing more pills than seemed reasonable.

The Charleston Gazette-Mail reported in December how drug companies shipped nearly 9 million hydrocodone pills over two years to one pharmacy in the town of Kermit, W. Va., population 392. All told, the newspaper reported, drug wholesalers distributed 780 million pills of oxycodone and hydrocodone in the state over six years. "The unfettered shipments amount to 433 pain pills for every man, woman and child in West Virginia," the story said.

The Washington Post reported in October how DEA leadership delayed and blocked enforcement actions as the overdose epidemic grew. Civil case filings against distributors, manufacturers, pharmacies and doctors dropped from 131 in fiscal 2011 to 40 in fiscal 2014, the Post reported. Immediate suspension orders (the toughest sanction the DEA has) fell from 65 to 9.

Later, the Post reported why that may have been: The drug industry had hired dozens of officials from the DEA, leading some current and former officials to ask whether the industry sought to hire away those who presented "the biggest headaches for them."

In response to written questions for this story, the DEA said it has always held distributors "accountable for preventing the diversion of controlled and abused prescription drugs, including the opioid painkillers."

Asked if its recent fines were too little, too late, the agency replied, "We don't think so. We hope large fines such as this one [against McKesson] will get the attention of the companies' leaders and stockholders and prompt them to be responsible corporate citizens, because people are dying as a result of the diversion of the opioid drugs they sell, and that can't continue."

In statements released when the distributors finalized their settlements, the companies said they have improved their performance in recent years. McKesson noted that the settlement covers reporting practices dating back to 2009. "Since 2013, McKesson has implemented significant changes to its monitoring and reporting processes," the company said in a statement.

As part of the settlement, the DEA will suspend the registrations of four of McKesson's distribution centers, on a staggered basis, blunting the effect of the punishment.

"Pharmaceutical distributors play an important role in identifying and combating prescription drug diversion and abuse," John H. Hammergren, chairman and chief executive officer, said in the statement. "McKesson, as one of the nation's largest distributors, takes our role seriously."

The DEA had previously taken action against McKesson in 2008 for failing to report suspicious orders, a factor cited in the latest fine.

Cardinal Health's fine was the last aspect of a 2012 settlement with the DEA, which included a two-year suspension of its Lakeland, Fla., distribution center. "These agreements allow us to move forward and continue to focus on working with all participants in addressing the epidemic of prescription drug abuse," Craig Morford, its chief legal and compliance officer, said in a statement last month.

Federal prosecutors who worked on the McKesson case said that distributors play an important role in the overall system in which controlled substances get distributed. "What Congress envisioned is that there would be gatekeepers along the way in this closed system," said Kurt Didier, an assistant U.S. attorney in Sacramento, in an interview. "It starts with the physician writing the prescription and the pharmacist filling the prescription. In between, you have entities like the distributors.

"In this overall scheme, a distributor is obligated to report to DEA prescriptions or orders that it views are suspicious," Didier said.

The agencies regulating the industry have had their own problems. The Gazette-Mail reported that the West Virginia pharmacy board didn't pay much attention to its own rules requiring that wholesalers report such orders. The board also had not examined reports from distributors regarding suspicious orders by pharmacies, nor had it shared those with law enforcement.

For its part, the DEA also has been faulted several times by the Government Accountability Office for, among other things, how it sets annual quotas for the amount of controlled substances that can be produced, the information and guidance it provides to the entities it regulates, and how it uses confidential informants.

Jim Geldhof, who retired in January 2016 after more than 40 years with the DEA, most recently as a manager in the Detroit field office, said the recent fines are important, but he wonders if they will make any difference. "It's going to be pretty hard to undo the damage that's been done," said Geldhof. "Do they get it? I don't know. I don't have a real lot of faith in industry frankly."

Do you think more responsibility falls on makers, doctors, pharmacies or the users?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Boosted by fentanyl, suburban counties join Philly in setting drug death records

Machen traveled a terrible path before Bensalem police discovered her body last February, ditched in the dead leaves along a quiet road near I-95, drenched by a cold rain.

The Bucks County coroner determined that the 25-year-old had overdosed on heroin mixed with fentanyl, a powerful narcotic meant only for the worst pain. She still wore the identification wristlet from the rehab facility she left just days earlier.

Today, coroner Joseph Campbell counts Machen among the earliest casualties in a shocking year: Opioid deaths in his county shot up nearly 50 percent in 2016. “We set a record,” he said last week, adding that he sees no end in sight. “We had three more this past Saturday.”

In neighboring Montgomery County, where Machen was born and raised, the death toll climbed by 43 percent.

“We’re getting pulverized,” said Alexander Balacki, Montgomery County’s first deputy coroner.

Philadelphia still leads the region in such deaths, surging past a record 900 last year, more than triple the number of homicides. The city gets more headlines, but this is a suburban story, too.

"We used to say we were losing 10 Pennsylvanians a day," said Jennifer Smith, acting secretary of the state Department of Drug and Alcohol Programs. "That estimate may be pretty low at this point."

In Bucks last year, there were 185 fatalities, up from 124 in 2015. In that time, Montgomery County deaths increased to 253 from 177. Considering the size of the populations, the crisis is similar: Each county had about 30 deadly overdoses for every 100,000 residents.

“I don’t think folks realize how bad this [epidemic] is,” said Gary Tuggle, who heads the Drug Enforcement Administration’s Philadelphia division. “We’re in a tough pickle. And we expect the numbers to keep rising.”

The opioid crisis was fueled years ago by prescription drugs as pharmaceutical companies heavily marketed the remedies for undertreated pain and doctors responded by pulling out their prescription pads. Over time, drug abusers trying to avoid the pain of withdrawal sometimes switch to using heroin, which is cheaper and easier to find, but far deadlier. Magnifying the effect: Dealers are juicing up their heroin with fentanyl, Tuggle said.

The extraordinarily powerful synthetic opioid has appropriate medical uses for severe pain. But a few extra grains — most of it made overseas by drug cartels, not pharmaceutical companies — added to a bag of heroin can be lethal.

In Bucks County, nearly 60 people — including Machen — died with the drug in their veins.

“The significant amount of fentanyl we’re finding is driving a lot of these deaths,” Campbell said. “It’s so potent, and there’s no comparison between it and heroin.”

In Montgomery County, the number of fentanyl-related deaths tripled from 2014 to 2015, Balacki said.

In New Jersey’s Ocean County, fentanyl-fueled deaths surged 75 percent, rising from 118 in 2015 to 205 last year.

“It’s a synthetic storm,” said Al Della Fave, spokesman for the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office. “It’s what’s killing us.”

It is an inconsistent epidemic. Chester County saw 14 fatal overdoses for every 100,000 residents, the lowest in the region. Burlington's rate increased slightly last year to nearly 19 per 100,000 but is still among the region's lowest.

Delaware and Camden Counties' death rates are far higher, at 33, yet they were the only counties in the region to experience declines last year. Exactly why isn't known, but both have tackled opioids aggressively, including widespread use of the reversal drug naloxone by police and emergency responders.

"This decline represents progress, but losing 161 people to heroin overdoses is unacceptable" Camden County Freeholder Director Louis Cappelli Jr. said.

Less populous Gloucester County saw 88 deaths, up 35 percent in a year.

“In a small county like ours, it’s hit a lot of people,” said Jim Jefferson, the Gloucester County freeholder who oversees the office of addiction services. “Everyone knows someone who has been affected.”

Stephanie Machen’s short life is a window into the nightmare that is addiction. Her story is remarkable in some of the details, but what may be most tragic is how familiar her struggle has become.

Machen was adored by family and friends, and fought to survive — the 16 times she sought drug treatment attest to that. Described as smart and ambitious, the West Chester University graduate wanted to become a nurse.

Some families say they can’t understand how addiction could strike them. Others know it often is a family disease. Long before Machen ever took a pill or spiked a vein, she saw in her father the damage that comes with opiate addiction.

"This is a young lady who grew up around recovery," said her father, John Machen, 63, who battled his own heroin addiction for years and is in recovery. "She knew my story. She knew the devastation."

John Machen grew up and started using in Kensington, which still is the epicenter of the region’s drug scene. But he has seen the scourge evolve.

“Facebook has become like an obituary page,” he said. “And you know what? It’s not Kensington kids dying. All those girls working the avenue -- they’re from the suburbs, South Jersey.”

He was off heroin when Stephanie was born but relapsed when she was 6 and went to rehab. Erin Machen, Stephanie’s older sister, believes that absence stuck with her sister.

“She thought he left because she wasn’t a baby anymore,” said Erin, 38, the mother of five now living in Boyertown. “She carried that burden her whole life — that feeling of not being good enough.”

As a child, Stephanie lived in the Norristown area with her mother, Helene, but remained close to her father as well. She attended Ancillae Assumpta Academy and Lansdale Catholic High School. She played field hockey. Summers brought family visits to the Jersey Shore.

In high school, Stephanie started drinking some. In time, she began taking the opioid painkiller Percocet recreationally. At West Chester University, Stephanie studied nutrition. She wasn't accepted into the nursing program she wanted. Later in rehab, she would tell people she was a nurse, as if trying to manufacture the self she had not managed to become.

She waitressed, she tended bar. She needed fast, daily money as her drug habit grew.

But her family still saw the Stephanie they loved, especially when she was with her little nieces and nephews who called her “Aunt Fluffy” because they couldn’t pronounce her name.

Erin’s first-born, James Hudak, now 10, is on the autism spectrum. The boy showed affection to few people. "Steph was the only other person in his life who he would kiss on the lips and tell her, 'I love you,' " Erin said.

In 2014, Stephanie moved in with Erin and her family after she broke up with a boyfriend. Later that year, Erin found a hypodermic needle in Stephanie's room. Worried for her kids, Erin said, “I threw her out.”

She racked up arrests: traffic violations, thefts, stolen-property charges.

The long string of rehab stints began, but too often Stephanie would decide she’d had enough and checked herself out “against medical advice,” her father said.

On Feb. 16, 2016, about 10 a.m., police got a call from a motorist who found a body on Mill Road, a quiet connector road near I-95 north of Philadelphia.

Another drug abuser, Erik Finnegan, later admitted dumping Stephanie's body after he found her dead in the room where he was staying in North Philadelphia.

Three days before she died, Stephanie had left a rehab in Chester County, bound for a recovery house where she could live in a sober environment. That was a Friday. "The last text I got from her was Saturday,” said John Machen. “She said, 'Dad, I can't do this. I need long-term treatment.' She left."

So many people gathered to pay respects to Stephanie, they couldn’t all fit in the funeral home. No one, Erin said, would have been more amazed at that than her little sister.

Last summer, John Machen opened a recovery house in Pottstown to honor his daughter. Called Steph’s Place, it is intended to be a safe place for women to reclaim their sobriety and their lives.

The day after the house opened, all seven beds were full. It is always hard for him to turn away those who need help.

“In a lot of these girls,” he said, “I see my daughter.”

For more information about the opioid epidemic in Pennsylvania, and where to find help, click here. For county-specific information: Bucks County; Chester County; Delaware County; Montgomery County. The state also runs an information hotline at 1-800-662-HELP (1-800-662-4357)

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Tests: Maintenance workers killed by train were on drugs

PHILADELPHIA – Both maintenance workers killed by an Amtrak train near Philadelphia last year were on drugs when the crash happened, test results show, but that doesn't appear to have factored into safety lapses and miscommunications being blamed for their deaths.

Toxicology reports released Thursday by federal safety investigators show backhoe operator Joseph Carter Jr. tested positive for cocaine and supervisor Peter Adamovich had morphine, codeine and oxycodone in his system.
Tests on train engineer Alexander Hunter, who was injured in the crash, showed evidence of marijuana use.

Other documents released by the National Transportation Safety Board pinned blame on a lax safety culture that put Carter, 61, and Adamovich, 59, in harm's way as they performed maintenance on an active track in April.

"Although the materials do not reflect that drug use was the cause of this incident, any positive drug test result is completely unacceptable," Amtrak President and CEO Charles "Wick" Moorman wrote in a letter to employees.

Among the other documents released Thursday was a report posted in error — and later removed — in which investigators criticized Amtrak managers for allowing the track maintenance work to go on without a detailed plan identifying safety hazards. NTSB investigators wrote that the railroad's assertion that a plan wasn't needed amounted to "a post-accident circling of the wagons."

Investigators said they determined that the track where Carter and Adamovich were struck was closed to trains until about 20 minutes before the crash, and that a foreman who took charge after a shift change never called to have it closed again.

Hunter, 47, blew the horn and hit the brakes once he saw equipment on an adjacent track and then on his own track, about five seconds before impact. The train slowed from 106 mph to 100 mph and only came to a complete stop about a mile down the track.

NTSB TO INVESTIGATE PHILADELPHIA TROLLEY CRASH THAT HURT NEARLY 50

A lawyer representing Carter's family said his positive drug test was irrelevant to the systematic failures the investigative report described at Amtrak.

Carter, Adamovich and Hunter had all passed previous drug tests given as part of their employment, according to the investigative reports. No drugs were detected in post-crash tests given to surviving maintenance workers, the train's conductor and two assistant conductors.

Federal regulators say they've seen an uptick in drug use by rail workers in recent years. Starting in April, workers who perform track maintenance will be subject to the same random drug and alcohol testing as train crew members.

In a statement, the Federal Railroad Administration urged railroads to be vigilant in substance testing and "do all they can to ensure employees are not operating or working under the influence."