Preaching the Gospel !

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzub

BANNED
Banned
Many who hear me speak know I am not a Calvinist. Those that don't find out real quick. It therefore comes a surprise that my favourite sermons are these of a Calvinist Theologian - Charles H Spurgeon.

Here is a small quote with my hi-light
do not intend to treat my text controversially. It is like the stone which makes the corner of a building, and it looks towards a different side of the gospel from what is mostly before us. Two sides of the building of truth meet here. In many a village there is a corner where the idle and the quarrelsome gather together; and theology has such corners. It would be very easy indeed to set ourselves in battle array, and during the next half-hour to carry on a very fierce attack against those who differ from us in opinion upon points which could be raised from this text. I do not see that any good would come of it, and, since we have very little time to spare, and life is short, we had better spend it upon something that may better tend to our edification. May the good Spirit preserve us from a contentious spirit, and help us really to profit by his word.

My axe is sharpened with barbed post that promote quarrel. Sure, I fight fire with fire. Moving on..

3. It is quite certain that when we read that God will have all men to be saved it does not mean that he wills it with the force of a decree

I humbly submit that the Calvinist fraternity should read this whole sermon and be corrected on 'God's will', 'decree'. Be corrected by a Calvinist.

All men,” they say, — “that is, some men”: as if the Holy Spirit could not have said “some men” if he had meant some men. “All men,” they say; “that is, some of all kinds of men”: as if the Lord could not have said “all kinds of men” if he had meant that.

May I humbly illuminate that the Holy spirt can, and does, say exactly what he means. What can be wrong with that?

My love for consistency with my own doctrinal views is not great enough to allow me knowingly to alter a single text of Scripture.

AMEN

glorydaz

Forgot to mention. Unlike the calvinist, I know I am not perfect.

But please prioritise why they don't think what they write, say, publish etc.

So, you won't answer what I asked? You just want to wander around at random?

I'll ask again. Where do Calvinists claim to be perfect - any more so than those IN CHRIST JESUS do?

1 Corinthians 2:6KJV Colossians 1:27-29KJV

zzub

BANNED
Banned
Glorydaz

If I get raptured in a minute and stop replying: Apologies, though there is not much I can do about it. It is fun interacting with you.

zzub

BANNED
Banned

I'll ask again. Where do Calvinists claim to be perfect - any more so than those IN CHRIST JESUS do?

1 Corinthians 2:6KJV Colossians 1:27-29KJV

I did not say they claim to be perfect. I said I know I am not perfect in reply to your post, the number of which I am not going back to look up.

Have you read The Institutes of there Christian Religion by John Calvin (JC)?

Did you know that JC writes babies are not 'made in the image of God' but '.eave their mothers womb OBNOXIOUS and ODIOUS in the sight of God. Book 1 chapter 1. Quite a contrast don't you think?

glorydaz

My axe (well ground at that) is with those who say the opposite of what the Bible, the WHOLE Bible clearly teaches.

Yes, anyone can cherry pick a few verses and build them into a dogma. Hence I said "the whole" Bible.

Yet, you seem to be preaching conditional salvation.

You cherry picked verses that do NOT support that.

Back to the grinder with that axe of yours. It isn't as "well ground" as you seem to think.

zzub

BANNED
Banned

Calvin writes: “First, the eternal predestination of God, by which before the fall of Adam He decreed what should take place concerning the whole human race and every individual, was fixed and determined.” (Concerning the Eternal Predestination of God, p.121

zzub

BANNED
Banned
Yet, you seem to be preaching conditional salvation.

You cherry picked verses that do NOT support that.

Back to the grinder with that axe of yours. It isn't as "well ground" as you seem to think.

My word, you do jump around. I said "the whole Bible". How come you missed that ? Predestination maybe.

zzub

BANNED
Banned
John Calvin explains: “God had no doubt decreed before the foundation of the world what He would do with every one of us and had assigned to everyone by His secret counsel his part in life.” (Calvin’s New Testament Commentaries: Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians and Colossians, p.20,

glorydaz

Forgot to mention. Unlike the calvinist, I know I am not perfect.

Seems to be something in your eyes :rolleyes:

I did not say they claim to be perfect. I said I know I am not perfect in reply to your post, the number of which I am not going back to look up.

That's a shame because it's exactly what I'm talking about. Making false claims that just seem to roll trippingly off the tongue. It doesn't look to you like you were making such a claim? :think:

Perhaps there is "something in your eyes."

zzub

BANNED
Banned
Calvin writes: “…the reason why God elects some and rejects others is to be found in His purpose alone. … before men are born their lot is assigned to each of them by the secret will of God. … the salvation or the destruction of men depends on His free election.” (Calvin’s New Testament Commentaries: Romans and Thessalonians, p.203

glorydaz

My word, you do jump around. I said "the whole Bible". How come you missed that ? Predestination maybe.

Well the verses you cited are in the Bible, are they not? You called them proof, even though there were just a few there.

I didn't miss anything. Would you like me to show them to you again?

zzub

BANNED
Banned
Glorydaz

Apart from reading the calvinist source text - The Institutes of the Christian Religion". Which is obvious that you have not; have you read the Canons of Dort? Which paraphrase chunks of the institutes! Or have you read the 39 steps? Steps? Oops, wrong book (though it is a good read) 39 articles - which paraphrase chunks of the institutes?
Hmm, let me guess. No you have not.

Have your read 2 Peter 3:9 or 1 Tim 2:4 ? If you have why do you deny them! Note exclamation mark, not question mark. Answer to God, not me.

zzub

BANNED
Banned
Well the verses you cited are in the Bible, are they not? You called them proof, even though there were just a few there.

I didn't miss anything. Would you like me to show them to you again?

You tell pork pies. I have not once used the word 'proof. And no, not a few verses, but a heck of a lot. As anyone reading this thread can see. Naughty you.

zzub

BANNED
Banned
I am amused Glorydaz that you support Calvinism, being a woman. Under Calvinism you are banned, by John Calvin, from speaking in Church. I hope you are also wearing a head covering and checking all your learning with you husband first. Okay, John boy did not invent this stuff though he did major on it while in his Kingdom of Geneva.

glorydaz

Calvinism denies the conditional security of believers or the possibility of falling away from the faith as taught by the Bible (Matt. 24:13; Jn. 15:6; Acts 11:23; Acts 13:43; Acts 14:22; Rom. 8:13; Rom. 11:20-21; 1 Cor. 9:27; Heb. 2:1-3; Heb. 10:26-31; 2 Pet. 2:20-21);

Glorydaz

Apart from reading the calvinist source text - The Institutes of the Christian Religion". Which is obvious that you have not; have you read the Canons of Dort?
Spoiler
Which paraphrase chunks of the institutes! Or have you read the 39 steps? Steps? Oops, wrong book (though it is a good read) 39 articles - which paraphrase chunks of the institutes?
Hmm, let me guess. No you have not.

Have your read 2 Peter 3:9 or 1 Tim 2:4 ? If you have why do you deny them! Note exclamation mark, not question mark. Answer to God, not me.

I know most of what they teach, but I prefer to spend my time reading God's word.

Thus, when I see someone more concerned with what others teach, while teaching an error themselves, I feel the need to respond. ESPECIALLY, when it's something as critical as whether believers have assurance of salvation or not.

You, great axe grinder, preach error, and you cherry pick verses to do so. Clean your own house first.

Status
Not open for further replies.