Political Pope

brewmama

Has the Pope turned Trump into a martyr? ;)

I'm sure his intentions were good. And, he had some "if's" in his statement, too. This has certainly been a strange election cycle, though, and it just keeps getting stranger by the day.

It's true that his comments were out of context and he was set up by the reporter as to statements about Trump, or so I've heard, but unfortunately he seems to sow confusion and has some rather strange ideas. For instance, if capitalism is so bad, why do people from anti-capitalist countries want so badly to come here, and why does the Pope want them to? He should be telling them NOT to come if he really believes capitalism is so evil.

Last edited:

rexlunae

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
here is what the pope should have said

all talk about walls
and
not bridges
is
not christian
and
only a jerk would insult everyone who disagrees with you
and
all their supporters are idiots

HisServant

There were Catholics in the US in large numbers in colonial times. Catholics were one of the groups that fled to North America during the Reformation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland

No, we're a diverse country, and a secular one.

People are suspicious of the Masons all the time, but one of its tenets is tolerance of everyone. Each person must come to grips with their own God and be tolerant of others.

Even though only 16 signers were masons, I would like to think that they were a positive influence.

Which is why I am wary of this so called moral majority that wants to impose its view of scripture on others... which is no different from what the radical Muslims want to do.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
:think: Hmmm....He's not speaking ex cathedra so therefore it is merely the opinion of another old man....But even if he was I'm still not a member of the Roman Church so I wouldn't care anyway. :devil:

Caino

BANNED
Banned
hmmmm .. my experiencing of the Vatican is unfettered access across the borders, whats yours?

Obviously buildings are not free to enter but its much freer to enter than windsor castle which is about the same size.

Anyway what did you expect this pope to do about walls erected 1200 years ago?

My experience with the Vatican is you can visit but there are places that you can't go because of the rules. And while we didn't try to squat and take jobs away from the citizens of Vatican city, I don't think they would have been so agreeable. Leftist tend to tell others how charitable they need to be, not so much themselves.

And we already have bridges back and forth to Mexico. The illegals who fled failed Leftist states in South America to enter America illegally can use those bridges to get their butts back across the border!

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
There were Catholics in the US in large numbers in colonial times. Catholics were one of the groups that fled to North America during the Reformation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland

No, we're a diverse country, and a secular one.

Yeah, I don't really care about all that atheist yapping about how this is a secular country. It has no bearing on anything except law respecting separation of church and state, and Catholics are fundamentally obligated to the Pope before their country. That is why America always was and still is spirited by Protestant Americans.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
:think: Hmmm....He's not speaking ex cathedra so therefore it is merely the opinion of another old man....But even if he was I'm still not a member of the Roman Church so I wouldn't care anyway. :devil:

well, regardless of town's foolish assertion ("the Pope isn't commanding American Catholics on the point and isn't trying to...he's speaking his mind and Catholics will do the same thing that Protestants do about it, which is make up their own minds") and the inferential that flows obviously from it ("the pope's views on this won't influence the 22% of the US population that identifies as Catholic"), the pope's views on this will indeed influence the 22% of the US population that identifies as Catholic

besides, tom - how many other old men do you know of who get the press coverage this guy gets for merely speaking his mind?

ok doser

here is what the pope should have said

all talk about walls
and
not bridges
is
not christian
and
only a jerk would insult everyone who disagrees with you
and
all their supporters are idiots

so
be an idiot
and
vote for the jerk! :banana:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
...the pope's views on this will indeed influence the 22% of the US population that identifies as Catholic

besides, tom - how many other old men do you know of who get the press coverage this guy gets for merely speaking his mind?

Point taken, but since when have low info/IQ people ever not been easily influenced by personalities? Let's face it....The same idiots probably listen to Kanye West about who to vote for.
Personally, I tend to agree with the Pope....I never have been a big proponent of walls around the country but, that having been said, I am wondering how many Syrian Refugees the Vatican City has housed recently.
I know that there were two families that they took in back when they were getting heat for their comments back in September....I wonder how many families this incident will see inside the high brick Vatican Walls? :think:

ok doser

The same idiots probably listen to Kanye West about who to vote for.

kanye west can tell me who to vote for!?!?!? :noway:

who?

who is it?

who does kanye west say i should vote for?

tell meeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

rexlunae

Yeah, I don't really care about all that atheist yapping about how this is a secular country. It has no bearing on anything except law respecting separation of church and state, and Catholics are fundamentally obligated to the Pope before their country. That is why America always was and still is spirited by Protestant Americans.

You should ask the Supreme Court what they think of that.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
You should ask the Supreme Court what they think of that.

All the atheist victories have been through one, small thing called the Lemon Test. It's something that has been scrutinized and debated among many court justices. They warned that atheists would be coming after Christians, and didn't agree with the shenanigans therein.

So you may want to change your perception of the Supreme Court being some Atheist Yahweh :rolleyes:

THall

Well, I have been to the Vatican.
I think you may have to go to
China to find a more expensive wall.

The Vatican has massive security to
keep Muslims out.

Looks like the Pope has more in common
with Trump than he is willing to admit.

Either way, the Pope is setting new records
in hypocrisy.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned

keep Muslims out.

in hypocrisy.

Well, to be fair, the high security is very much needed because a Muslim extremist would love nothing more than to take out the head priest of a billion Christians- which would cause massive disarray. Let's not forget that it is holy war they are perpetuating.

This Charming Manc

So you claim the Vatican is a state with a wall?

Did you go through border control to get into St. Peters Square?

So its a castle with a big wall, but its a state without border controls as such.

keep Muslims out.

in hypocrisy.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
So you claim the Vatican is a state with a wall?

Did you go through border control to get into St. Peters Square?

So its a castle with a big wall, but its a state without border controls as such.

They have massive immigration control there. They'd be foolish not to, especially given their proximity to the Middle East.

I don't know how long the wall around the Vatican has been there, but Popes have been assassinated before which obviously has a lot to do with it.

rexlunae

All the atheist victories have been through one, small thing called the Lemon Test.

That's not true. And it's also not what I was referring to. Wasn't this thread about the Pope?

It's something that has been scrutinized and debated among many court justices. They warned that atheists would be coming after Christians, and didn't agree with the shenanigans therein.

Wut?

So you may want to change your perception of the Supreme Court being some Atheist Yahweh :rolleyes:

What I meant was, your notion that "America always was and is a nation spirited by Protestant Americans" is somewhat undermined by the current tally of Protestants on the Supreme Court.

The Berean

People already tried that approach before Kennedy was elected. It was a silly argument then and it's not any better now.

The fact is that the Pope isn't commanding American Catholics on the point and isn't trying to...he's speaking his mind and Catholics will do the same thing that Protestants do about it, which is make up their own minds.

Given how many American Catholics support abortion even if the Pope commanded, the American Catholics wouldn't be listening anyway.