Pagans IV: Because This is a Weird Place

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So on Friday night, Granite walked into a Catholic church, sat down and listened to me sing sacred advent music in a choral performance. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

:cheers:
:think: It would have been better if you'd said Dena, anna and Granite, but it's a decent opening. :)

Caledvwlch

No, "I reject anything Christian or God" as a label is bad enough that there is no way to make an atheist look worse. I'm not even from the McCarthy era and I still know 'atheist' is bad. Simply being 'agnostic' isn't 'anti- (against)' God and Christianity.

I'm often offended by the mere presence of an atheist for all that term and rejection entails.

I don't think you can call yourself an 'atheist' and be a decent person. I've met too many atheists and haven't met one yet that I liked. An agnostic, yes.

We've already gone around and around about how your definition of "atheist" is inaccurate. And if you're so sensitive about the concept as to take offense, I don't understand what you're doing exposing yourself to atheists and the like by posting in this forum.

I am both an atheist and an agnostic.

I am an agnostic because I don't know whether or not there is a god.

I am an atheist because I do not believe there is a god.

Lon

We've already gone around and around about how your definition of "atheist" is inaccurate. And if you're so sensitive about the concept as to take offense, I don't understand what you're doing exposing yourself to atheists and the like by posting in this forum.

I am both an atheist and an agnostic.

I am an agnostic because I don't know whether or not there is a god.

I am an atheist because I do not believe there is a god.
And again, why then would you take offense if someone called you a godless pagan or a variation on the terms? It is simply reiterating the idea of those terms. Sugar-coating shouldn't make one feel comfortable with one's self-appointments.
Being 'godless' is offensive, as it is synonymous with 'human' at the elevated end of that spectrum: The highest common denominator, not the lowest. Therefore, as it began, atheism is still as offensive today as it was in McCarthy's era. I'm not saying his looking under rocks for them hiding was good, but simply saying the nation allowed what it allowed because communism and atheism were understood as offensive.

Labeling yourself communist or atheist has always been known for it's offensive statement. People not wishing to offend have opted for other terms that keep them out of that negative limelight and have rightly distanced themselves from being associated with Stalinism etc.

Caledvwlch

And again, why then would you take offense if someone called you a godless pagan or a variation on the terms? It is simply reiterating the idea of those terms. Sugar-coating shouldn't make one feel comfortable with one's self-appointments.

Who said I take offense? Call me anything from "reprobate" to "demon-spawn" or anything else you can cook up.

Lon

Who said I take offense? Call me anything from "reprobate" to "demon-spawn" or anything else you can cook up.
Well, lately a few atheists have been screaming "bloody murder!" (That might be another to put on the nix list).
The reason? I agreed with them that they were godless egocentric pagans (what other centricity could you possibly have as an atheist?).

They only thing that bothers me is that 1) they'd think I'm mean when I'm just agreeing with them 2) that they cry about it and 3) that they won't admit they aren't specimens of fine humanity. We don't use the same term meaning for 'humanity.' We mean completely different things. When I use it, I mean 'wheat' and when you use it, it means 'tares.'

Caledvwlch

Well, lately a few atheists have been screaming "bloody murder!" (That might be another to put on the nix list).
The reason? I agreed with them that they were godless egocentric pagans (what other centricity could you possibly have as an atheist?).

They only thing that bothers me is that 1) they'd think I'm mean when I'm just agreeing with them 2) that they cry about it and 3) that they won't admit they aren't specimens of fine humanity. We don't use the same term meaning for 'humanity.' We mean completely different things. When I use it, I mean 'wheat' and when you use it, it means 'tares.'

Well, thanks for stopping by! :thumb:

PureX

I don't think you can call yourself an 'atheist' and be a decent person. I've met too many atheists and haven't met one yet that I liked.
It's amazing to me that you can write something like this and not see how blatantly self-accusing it is.

Lon

It's amazing to me that you can write something like this and not see how blatantly self-accusing it is.
It is just a reality. I haven't met an atheist who hasn't been an egotist and jerky about it. Do you know of one TOL atheist who isn't? Just one?

Correct me if you can, please do. How could you possibly say that of the ones I've (actually) met, one of them was a decent fellow? There might be, on TOL, but I've seen a LOT of snarky, cocky, snide, and rude comments from most atheists even or perhaps especially on TOL. I'd bet almost if not all of them have been banned for one of the above. True? Any atheists here that have NOT been banned for blasphemy or snide, or rude, or breaking rules they said they would abide by?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
It is just a reality. I haven't met an atheist who hasn't been an egotist and jerky about it. Do you know of one TOL atheist who isn't? Just one?

I do.

There might be, but I've seen a LOT of snarky, cocky, snide, and rude comments from most atheists even or perhaps especially on TOL. I'd bet almost if not all of them have been banned for one of the above.
There are some Christians here who are as nasty as anyone I've ever come across, and forget banning, they're untouchable.

This line of attack isn't going well for you Lon. I'm sorry to see you continuing it.

PureX

Correct me if you can, please do. How could you possibly say that of the ones of met, not one of them was a decent fellow?
You see what you want to see, Lon. And you get what you give. You presume going in that anyone who doesn't sanction your beliefs is "bad" and "evil" and "anti-Christ" and all that. And then you blame the negative reactions you get to all the self-righteous condemnation that you spew, on them? And now you're trying to use it to justify your own sins?

Dude, you need some serious self-examination. I think you've slid so far down the rabbit hole of your own bias that you can't see daylight, anymore.