ECT Our triune God

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Grossy can't and doesn't discuss Theology Proper much

The "PROPER" way is to pray before opening God's written Word, and
ask God to give you the wisdom and Knowledge to understand what
you're about to read! Then, let the Holy Spirit guide you! One need
not have attended Harvard or Yale to understand the Scriptures!

The Bible is a "Spiritual" book. We come before God as a "little child"
remember? Paul stated in 1 Corinthians 2:1 "And I, brethren, when I
came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom,
declaring unto you the testimony of God."

I think, if you tried very hard, you could bring down your "fancy
vocabulary" to our level?

Lon

Are you the same and in unity with YOUR father?

OR...

Are you different and separate from him?

Are you not two distinct persons having one human essence...

Maybe it's a father-son thing... :)
I think I see PPS' point here, perhaps. You 'express' tri-theism at times.
God is more than just a familial name, it is indeed personal and modal in conveyance. The problem with modalism is that it doesn't account for Son and Father, but it must also be understood that we do, in fact, embrace modal language to the extent that God is One with no division. Part of the problem, I believe, comes from Christ becoming flesh. It makes a separation in our minds that is very hard to account for. Modalists simply believe God became Flesh as that one being and that prayer between Father and Son was but illustration/modeling/pattern for our benefit.
Such is wrong, but 'half' wrong. They are accurately describing one-ness that is -une (of tri- -une) or '-arian' to the degree they understand half of the revelation of God's conveyance of Himself to us.
Back whar I grow'd up, yer wasn't a reel man till'n yer could whup y'er ol' man 'stead o' vise-verser ...
That makes sense then. I had no idea where this came from when I first saw it and thought it was incredibly weird. When my step-father came to me, as his dad had done to him, I simply said "If you want to beat the tar out of me, go ahead. I love you to much and respect you too much to ever strike you back."

With God it is different...

For we are fallen, you see...

And God is guiding us back to Him...

And the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are three Person's without boundaries of Essence... The inter-penetration of Persons is the mark of God's Love... Without it, we are isolated from one another... Floating monads of separation... Conjugal union is but a Typos of the REAL union of Person we find with Christ, which itself is a Typos of the Union of Christ with the Father and the Holy Spirit... All in differentiation of Person without essential separation...

But wounded and fallen as we are, we start out with baby steps...

ME a baby!

Arsenios
The danger of analogy is to forget other scriptures such as:
Numbers 23:19 God is not a man....

Isaiah 55:18&19 My ways are not your ways, My thoughts are not your thoughts...
Ephesians 3:17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
Ephesians 3:18 may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, Eph 3:19 and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
Ephesians 3:20 Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us,
Ephesians 3:21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

For me, the triune view seeks to embrace ALL scripture and then go no further. We can give analogy for what we understand, but should correct one another when it steps into waters that deny scriptures.

For me, the Gospel of John greatly influences and expresses my triune understanding. It makes certain God's oneness and threeness. If any man can embrace John 1:1 as it sits, with "both/and," I believe they will always be triune without overtly emphasizing one over the other.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
Understood, but, again, I'm trying to get this thread back on the right track for you with the correct impression because you said it was more important than apology.

I don't disagree, but I'm not sure where to start or what to clarify.

It 'seems' to be at least headed in the right direction, but I do think it would be wise for you to address the specific anti-Trinitarian accusations (which is what caused the problem in the first place).

This is part of what I'm unsure about. What anti-Trinitarian accusations are you referencing?

Other than that, I'd refrain from saying "not Orthodox" but rather and more accurately: Patristic Orthodox, Patristic Trinitarian (or your better/preferred self-descriptor).

I'd rather not tip-toe around semantics, but I'll think of some way to be more clear.

My self-descriptor is "Triune" because I believe it conveys more accurately what I believe. The problem with modern Trinitarian divergence leans either toward tri-theism or modalism.

This has been my contention all along, and for many years. Most professing Trinitarians are functional Tritheists, Sabellians, or Semi-Sabellians; with a small number being Arians or Semi-Arians. It's maddening and sad, especially when there are actual proponents of each of those views online and on the attack.

I think we agree that there is a tightrope walk between heresies and also that precision is paramount, to the best of our ability.

Yes, exactly. And many aren't what they claim.

I take a completely different approach, rather than arguing about the many existing historical views. Unless/until one accounts for God creating and inhabiting heaven as well as the cosmos, there's a layer missing which is what all historical views and variants have been lacking while squabbling over a 2D answer for a 3D God.

God is UNcreated Self-Phenomenon and Self-Noumenon. Heaven is created phenomena, just as the cosmos is created phenomena; the former invisible snd intangible, and the latter visible and tangible. Both heaven and the cosmos were sempiternal (everlasting), with the current age/s being temporality for the cosmos.

Lon

This is part of what I'm unsure about. What anti-Trinitarian accusations are you referencing?
I linked it. It ties back to your 2nd to last ban which pegged you as 'anti-Trinitarian.' You might not have access to the woodshed, but it sets some precedent for future readings. The main focus of your ban was that it was too long AND that it was anti-Trinitarian. Why did that get conveyed? I believe it was the 'not orthodox' and not typical Trinitarian. I'm not trying to skirt whatever part I've played, but trying to share background information.

I'd rather not tip-toe around semantics, but I'll think of some way to be more clear.
Yes. I empathize too.

This has been my contention all along, and for many years. Most professing Trinitarians are functional Tritheists, Sabellians, or Semi-Sabellians; with a small number being Arians or Semi-Arians. It's maddening and sad, especially when there are actual proponents of each of those views online and on the attack.

Yes, exactly. And many aren't what they claim.

I take a completely different approach, rather than arguing about the many existing historical views. Unless/until one accounts for God creating and inhabiting heaven as well as the cosmos, there's a layer missing which is what all historical views and variants have been lacking while squabbling over a 2D answer for a 3D God.

God is UNcreated Self-Phenomenon and Self-Noumenon. Heaven is created phenomena, just as the cosmos is created phenomena; the former invisible snd intangible, and the latter visible and tangible. Both heaven and the cosmos were sempiternal (everlasting), with the current age/s being temporality for the cosmos.
I think, perhaps we both stumble in explanation, that this is what we are both trying to say. I 'think' binitarian is likewise a conflation of created/uncreated explanation, which is what set me wondering/correcting. I will, in the future, make an effort to PM from here on out. The prior, which we are all trying to outdistance, was what started in-thread commentary (not excusing myself, just trying to ensure we do better). -Lon

Arsenios

I think I see PPS' point here, perhaps. You 'express' tri-theism at times.

Three Persons in unity being God...

We could re-visit the word we translate as "Essence", which is "ousia", which also translates "Being"... But the Greek includes the ever present idea of wealth - eg the totality of powers... Including cash on hand, money in the bank, lands and buildings, slaves and cattle - All of it... Whatever it be... THAT is the meaning of OUSIA... It means more than essence, but instead means totality...

So I remember the Father of the Prodigal Son saying to the loyal son: "All that is mine is thine..." That "all that is mine" means his ousia... The entirety of the estate... His essence...

And indeed in Acts, we find the Faithful living the same way, giving all for all, for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven... Such that all have all while having nothing... And we are to live in the world the same way, bor it is only by having nothing that we can have everything... So Christ told the rich young man: "Go, sell all that you have, and give to the poor, and you will have riches in heaven... Then Come, and follow Me..."

The big problem with God being one Hypostasis is that He is then talking to Himself when we find the Father and the Son having conversation in prayer, or when the Father says: "This is My Son, in Whom I am well pleased..." The Father and the Son are two Persons, you see, or else the Father is speaking about Himself and is calling Himself His Own Son...

Arsenios

God's Truth

We could re-visit the word we translate as "Essence", which is "ousia", which also translates "Being"... But the Greek includes the ever present idea of wealth - eg the totality of powers... Including cash on hand, money in the bank, lands and buildings, slaves and cattle - All of it... Whatever it be... THAT is the meaning of OUSIA... It means more than essence, but instead means totality...

So I remember the Father of the Prodigal Son saying to the loyal son: "All that is mine is thine..." That "all that is mine" means his ousia... The entirety of the estate... His essence...

And indeed in Acts, we find the Faithful living the same way, giving all for all, for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven... Such that all have all while having nothing... And we are to live in the world the same way, bor it is only by having nothing that we can have everything... So Christ told the rich young man: "Go, sell all that you have, and give to the poor, and you will have riches in heaven... Then Come, and follow Me..."

The big problem with God being one Hypostasis is that He is then talking to Himself when we find the Father and the Son having conversation in prayer, or when the Father says: "This is My Son, in Whom I am well pleased..." The Father and the Son are two Persons, you see, or else the Father is speaking about Himself and is calling Himself His Own Son...

Arsenios

You seem to forget that there are THREE. Jesus is God the Father come to earth as a Man. Jesus is God the Father with a physical body. God did not pretend to come as a Man He really did come as a Man. Why would God the Father in the flesh as a Man not pray to God the Father in heaven?

God's Truth

In Isaiah 44:6, and 8 God says, "I am the first and I am the last, And there is no God besides Me . . . Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any."

Scripture 24 God says, "I, the LORD, am the maker of all things, Stretching out the heavens by Myself And spreading out the earth all alone."

In the next chapter, Isaiah 45:5-7 God says, "I am the LORD, and there is no other; Besides Me there is no God. . . . That men may know from the rising to the setting of the sun That there is no one besides Me. I am the LORD, and there is no other, The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the LORD who does all these.

In 46:9 God says, "Remember the former things long past, For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is no one like Me.

There is only One God, and He is the Father. Since Jesus is God, then he must also be the Father.

Arsenios

You seem to forget that there are THREE. Jesus is God the Father come to earth as a Man. Jesus is God the Father with a physical body. God did not pretend to come as a Man He really did come as a Man. Why would God the Father in the flesh as a Man not pray to God the Father in heaven?

Do you think that God just bi-located Himself, or tri-located Himself, and then talks to Himself? I entertain myself that way regularly, without bilocation of self... But as God, all three are everywhere present... As Son of Man, Jesus condescended for 33 years to be constrained as a fallen human person doing no sin... Living in total obedience to the Father... That is the Mystery of the Incarnation... Done for our sakes... To raise up Adam from death and corruptibility to his proper place in the Kosmos as a god [Psalm 91, lxx] And Christ is the God of gods, and in God's plan for creation, we are to be gods of God... In purity of heart, in the clothing of righteousness and immortality...

God the Father did NOT incarnate - The Logos incarnated and became man... The Father is not the Son, though they have the same Ousia... So they are two, and one...

Why would someone pray to Himself?

Arsenios

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Right. Intuited by partaking of God's divine nature by being ontologically translated into Christ. Renewed in the spirit of our mind.

The renewed nous and its noema and phronema are intuitive and not "fallen".

14 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,

15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named ,

16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;

17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;

19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

Jesus in us

:cheers: :guitar:

God's Truth

Do you think that God just bi-located Himself, or tri-located Himself, and then talks to Himself? I entertain myself that way regularly, without bilocation of self... But as God, all three are everywhere present... As Son of Man, Jesus condescended for 33 years to be constrained as a fallen human person doing no sin... Living in total obedience to the Father... That is the Mystery of the Incarnation... Done for our sakes... To raise up Adam from death and corruptibility to his proper place in the Kosmos as a god [Psalm 91, lxx] And Christ is the God of gods, and in God's plan for creation, we are to be gods of God... In purity of heart, in the clothing of righteousness and immortality...

God the Father did NOT incarnate - The Logos incarnated and became man... The Father is not the Son, though they have the same Ousia... So they are two, and one...

Why would someone pray to Himself?

Arsenios

The WORD WAS GOD.

Lon

This gets back to polytheism, however, where we purporedly 'share' in the Divine nature. 2 Peter 1:4. Such, however, isn't to be confused with Docetism/pantheism. There is, I think, a danger to over-inflate self in Eastern theologies. God isn't an economic idea, but one being. If you lose -une, from triune, you run a lot of heresy risks AND separation that God emphasizes and demands to and of His creation. He is NOT like a man. Our place is and ever will be 'creations.' I think the EO agrees, but I also believe it crosses unhealthy, self-elevating ideologies/expressions toward these heresies.

Arsenios
Modalism. There is an economy, exclusive to God: discluding pantheism and some forms of panentheism, that is problematic to His exclusive description. His personal descriptors must be modal or it becomes idolatry. Believing in total depravity, demands a stark contrast. Only those in Christ have any godly inheritance, but it will never make us Divine (but divine only as an expression). He is alone and remains alone and apart from His creation.

God's Truth

1 Corinthian 8:6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

Ephesians 4:6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Since there is only one God, and He is the Father, then Jesus must be that one God the Father.

God's Truth

Everything was made through Jesus

1 Corinthians 8:6

Everything was made through God the Father.

Romans 11:36
Hebrews 2:10

Those scriptures show us that Jesus is God the Father, since everything was made THROUGH GOD THE FATHER/EVERYTHING WAS MADE THROUGH JESUS.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Everything was made through Jesus

1 Corinthians 8:6

Everything was made through God the Father.

Romans 11:36
Hebrews 2:10

Those scriptures show us that Jesus is God the Father, since everything was made THROUGH GOD THE FATHER/EVERYTHING WAS MADE THROUGH JESUS.

You cannot even keep the definitions of English words straight.

Gunna hafta start givin' Lon some credit to prophecy.

I believe he said sumpthin' 'bout third graders right before you showed up on this thread.

:down:

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Only those in Christ have any godly inheritance, but it will never make us Divine (but divine only as an expression). He is alone and remains alone and apart from His creation.

Complete unbelief Lon.

1Co 15:21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.

1Co 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

LA

God's Truth

Complete unbelief Lon.

1Co 15:21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.

1Co 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

LA

Jesus will reign over the house of Jacob forever. See Luke 1:33, and Revelation 11:15.

In 1 Corinthians 15:25, it says Jesus must REIGN UNTIL HE has put all his enemies under his feet.

In 1 Corinthians 15:24, it says Jesus will hand the kingdom to God the Father, after he [Jesus] has destroyed all dominion, authority, and power.

Since the scriptures also say JESUS' KINGDOM WILL HAVE NO END, and the scripture also says Jesus will reign UNTIL...that shows us Jesus was God before coming to earth, he was God while on earth, and he is God in heaven now.

Jesus is God with a physical body. He came as a Man to show us the way. When Jesus comes again, we will be made like Jesus. We will be as Jesus is in his Spiritual resurrected body. There will be no need for any Man to be over us in that time...for we will be as Jesus is.

1 John 3:2 Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.

These scriptures prove that Jesus is God the Father made visible with a physical body.

Arsenios

The WORD WAS GOD.

It is a lovely structure, these opening lines of John...

In the Beginning
....Was the Word
....And the Word
.........Was toward The God
.........And God
....The Word was
....This One was
In the Beginning

Toward God...

I owe an Anglican for showing me this structure online... It is a chiastic chain, using the nouns Beginning [A], Word and God [C]...

A:B::B:C::C':B'::B':A:::C

It pivots, turns, or hinges on the C to C' relationship...

C and C' differ, yet are the same...

Because C has the article, and C' does not...

So they differ AND yet are the same...

The relationship being that the Word was toward THE God and was God...

And what this relationship means, this: "Was toward" [English translates it as "was with"], which is repeated at the end of the chiasm, is why the Gospel of John was written. It bears witness to this Logos-Theos Who is not O Theos, but was existing in the beginning toward O Theos...

O Theos is God the Father... O Logos Theos is the Son...

THAT relationship is pivotal, because in Psalm 82 we find God JUDGING fallen man as Sons of God: "Because you are gods..." THAT is WHY God is so longsuffering... How long, O Lord, How long until you requite the victims?

Psa 82:1-8 A Psalm of Asaph.
[The Proto-Psalter intones in a strong voice:]
God Stood in the congregation of the mighty;
He is judging in the midst of the gods.

[The chanters on the right sing forth:]
"How long will ye judge unjustly,
and accept the persons of the wicked?

[Then the singers on the left reply:]
"Defend the poor and fatherless:
Do justice to the afflicted and needy.

[And the singers across the nave chant in response:]
Deliver the poor and needy:
Rid them out of the hand of the wicked.

[And the left rejoins:]
They have not known, nor stood upright together;
In darkness are they passing through:

[And the right laments:]
All the foundations of the earth
shall be shaken.

[The left reminds us:]
I have said, Ye are gods;
and all of you are children of the Most High.

[Then the right gives the judgement:]
But ye shall die like men,
And fall like one of the princes."

[Then all chant together in a loud voice:]
"Arise, O God, judge the earth:
For thou shalt inherit all nations."

Deeper than the unknowable Essence of God
Is the Mystery of the Persons of God...
For the Person is the Sub-stantiator of the Essence...
The Essence, the Ousia, the Wealth of God...
Held as One in three Persons...
Whatever that may be
And however utterably unknowable to us...
IS God...
AND, as men created in His Image...
We can KNOW the very Persons of God...
Who are the substandings of God...
For these Three are One...

We are well out of our depth here, yet it is with the Person that we as persons start out on this great journey in the Way... The Mystery is entered, not chatted about and sliced and diced with intellectual conceptual ratiocinations of fallen humanity in some imaginary understanding... There is no marital union in conceptual descriptives...

The God, and the Logos-God, are both One and Two...

This cannot be grasped by fallen conceptual provings...

Welcome to the Faith of Christ...

Arsenios

God's Truth

It is a lovely structure, these opening lines of John...

In the Beginning
....Was the Word
....And the Word
.........Was toward The God
.........And God
....The Word was
....This One was
In the Beginning

Toward God...

I owe an Anglican for showing me this structure online... It is a chiastic chain, using the nouns Beginning [A], Word and God [C]...

A:B::B:C::C':B'::B':A:::C

It pivots, turns, or hinges on the C to C' relationship...

C and C' differ, yet are the same...

Because C has the article, and C' does not...

So they differ AND yet are the same...

The relationship being that the Word was toward THE God and was God...

And what this relationship means, this: "Was toward" [English translates it as "was with"], which is repeated at the end of the chiasm, is why the Gospel of John was written. It bears witness to this Logos-Theos Who is not O Theos, but was existing in the beginning toward O Theos...

O Theos is God the Father... O Logos Theos is the Son...

THAT relationship is pivotal, because in Psalm 82 we find God JUDGING fallen man as Sons of God: "Because you are gods..." THAT is WHY God is so longsuffering... How long, O Lord, How long until you requite the victims?

Psa 82:1-8 A Psalm of Asaph.
[The Proto-Psalter intones in a strong voice:]
God Stood in the congregation of the mighty;
He is judging in the midst of the gods.

[The chanters on the right sing forth:]
"How long will ye judge unjustly,
and accept the persons of the wicked?

[Then the singers on the left reply:]
"Defend the poor and fatherless:
Do justice to the afflicted and needy.

[And the singers across the nave chant in response:]
Deliver the poor and needy:
Rid them out of the hand of the wicked.

[And the left rejoins:]
They have not known, nor stood upright together;
In darkness are they passing through:

[And the right laments:]
All the foundations of the earth
shall be shaken.

[The left reminds us:]
I have said, Ye are gods;
and all of you are children of the Most High.

[Then the right gives the judgement:]
But ye shall die like men,
And fall like one of the princes."

[Then all chant together in a loud voice:]
"Arise, O God, judge the earth:
For thou shalt inherit all nations."

Deeper than the unknowable Essence of God
Is the Mystery of the Persons of God...
For the Person is the Sub-stantiator of the Essence...
The Essence, the Ousia, the Wealth of God...
Held as One in three Persons...
Whatever that may be
And however utterably unknowable to us...
IS God...
AND, as men created in His Image...
We can KNOW the very Persons of God...
Who are the substandings of God...
For these Three are One...

We are well out of our depth here, yet it is with the Person that we as persons start out on this great journey in the Way... The Mystery is entered, not chatted about and sliced and diced with intellectual conceptual ratiocinations of fallen humanity in some imaginary understanding... There is no marital union in conceptual descriptives...

The God, and the Logos-God, are both One and Two...

This cannot be grasped by fallen conceptual provings...

Welcome to the Faith of Christ...

Arsenios

There are three, and the three are One and the same.

This is God the Father. This is Jesus Christ. I can prove it to you easily with scripture.

In Isaiah 44:6, and 8 God says, "I am the first and I am the last, And there is no God besides Me . . . Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any."

Scripture 24 God says, "I, the LORD, am the maker of all things, Stretching out the heavens by Myself And spreading out the earth all alone."

In the next chapter, Isaiah 45:5-7 God says, "I am the LORD, and there is no other; Besides Me there is no God. . . . That men may know from the rising to the setting of the sun That there is no one besides Me. I am the LORD, and there is no other, The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the LORD who does all these.

In 46:9 God says, "Remember the former things long past, For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is no one like Me.

There is only One God, and He is the Father. Since Jesus is God, then he must also be the Father.

Jedidiah

There are three, and the three are One and the same.

This is God the Father. This is Jesus Christ. I can prove it to you easily with scripture.

Literally everything that survived the strikethrough above is the Trinity. You may or may not have known, I just wanted to point out for anybody else just how very close you are to the Trinity.