"OSAS" people are not answering this question.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
1 john 1:9
1 John 1:9
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

.... so i guess for you only pauls letters should be in bible and the rest can/(should) be removed

That's talking about foot washing.
We need fellowship forgiveness after we've had our "bath"

Only our feet need washing since our walk includes sins post salvation.

Jesus said he that has been bathed is clean save for his feet. Judas never took a bath thus was not saved. Those who get saved apply 1jn 1:9 daily. Not to bathe but to restore a daily fellowship with God since when a believer sins, his fellowship with God is severed. John who recorded that event is now producing the application of the symbolic foot washing done by Messiah "you do not know now but will know after" - this is that knowledge, we need to confess our sins in order to have victory in this life.

heir

TOL Subscriber
That's talking about foot washing.
We need fellowship forgiveness after we've had our "bath"

Only our feet need washing since our walk includes sins post salvation.

Jesus said he that has been bathed is clean save for his feet. Judas never took a bath thus was not saved. Those who get saved apply 1jn 1:9 daily. Not to bathe but to restore a daily fellowship with God since when a believer sins, his fellowship with God is severed. John who recorded that event is now producing the application of the symbolic foot washing done by Messiah "you do not know now but will know after" - this is that knowledge, we need to confess our sins in order to have victory in this life.
:AMR:

What a load. Those who have trusted the Lord for salvation are complete in Him (Colossians 2:10 KJV). Nothing can change that!

turbosixx

Take a shot, and believe what you want. It's you that will answer
to your folly, if you're not sealed/indwelt and baptized by the Holy
Spirit?

You focus intently on words when that fall in line with your thinking but when they don’t you choose to overlook them. Is that a wise approach to understanding truth? You say there are two messages; scripture proves they are the same message. Why is Paul testifying to the gospel of grace by preaching the kingdom?

Acts 20:24 But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. 25 “And indeed, now I know that you all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, will see my face no more.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Hebrews 10:14
Hebrews written to, well, um...Hebrews, who this is true of:

Hebrews 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

Hebrews 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

Hebrews 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

That's not so for us in the Body of Christ, as we are saved and sealed!

1 Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

1 Corinthians 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

1 Corinthians 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Ephesians 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Shasta

redpill, nonon, etc....

Perhaps you are misunderstanding the purpose of the warning verses addressed to believers as a means used by God for His ends.

To wit:
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4348822#post4348822

To claim a possessing believer can lose that which the Lord attained by His active and passive obedience, and His continued intercession on behalf of those for whom He atoned, is to argue our High Priest in Heaven is impotent. Sigh.

Rather than cherry-pick verses and read into them more freight than they can bear, consider the full counsel of Scripture and it good and necessary consequences regarding the perseverance of those that believe:

Isaiah 43:1-3, Jeremiah 32:40, John 3:16, John 3:36, John 5:24, John 6:35-40, John 6:47, John 6:51, John 10:27-30, John 11:25, John 14:21, John 15:1-11, John 17:12, John 17:15, Romans 8:29-30, Romans 8:35-39, Ephesians 1:5, Ephesians 1:13-14, Ephesians 2:10 God's workmanship, Ephesians 4:30, Hebrews 5:11-6:12, Philippians 1:6, Philippians 2:12-13, Philippians 3:12-15, 1 Corinthians 1:8 , 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24, 2 Timothy 1:12, 2 Timothy 4:18, 1 Peter 1:3-5, 1 Peter 1:23, 1 Peter 5:10, 2 Peter 2:10, 1 John 2:19, 1 John 2:25, 1 John 3:9, 1 John 5:13, 1 John 5:18, Jude 24-25.

AMR

A. The purpose of a warning is to inspire a measure of fear about a potential negative consequence. In the word, warnings were meant to influence the person to change his choice on a certain matter or matters. Warnings are often used in human communication and in those instances we always assume the other person have the capacity to listen, understand and change their minds (make a different decision). We do not assume our words are incidental to their change of mind. Since God knows exactly how man thinks we must assume that He communicates with us in a way we understand. Otherwise, His communications would have no certain meaning.

B. If I were to warn my child "Don't cross the Interstate there is too much traffic and you could be killed" if he believes I am telling the truth he will heed my warning and not venture out onto the Interstate. If he later examines the Interstate and finds it has been completely blocked so that no traffic is possible in either direction he might return to me and ask "Why did you say it was dangerous?" If I answered, "That was just a MEANS to an END. My real END was to keep you close to home." No matter how noble my intentions respecting my child he, in his childish simplicity, would know I was guilty of telling a lie. When God issues warnings He is not playing a game. He is telling the truth. It was the veracity of the OT prophecies that differentiated true prophets from false. Yet you say God issues warnings to his children which He knows are not valid since they are eternally secure - just to manipulate them.

C. Warnings are often used in the context of persuasion. The appeal is to the mind, the emotions and the Spirit. When people see the potential consequences of rebelling against God their instinct of self-interest and self-preservation might motivate them to submit to the truth. This is the common-sense understanding of warning someone. Since a Calvinism posits irresistible grace, persuasion is not essential to a person avoiding danger. The warning is just an avenue, a means, God happens to have chosen. He might as well have ordained that a person be saved by performing some ritual performed in a foreign language he does not understand.

D. You accused another poster of "cherry picking" verses yet in this post you have supplied a whole bushel of "cherries" Amassing a number of scriptures may overwhelm your opponent but it does nothing to prove your point unless the scriptures are vetted as both pertinent to the subject at hand and rightly divided.

E. Taking at random the first (NT) scripture on your list - the very familiar John 3:16 let me examine it to see if it supports OSAS.

16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. (NKJV)

Now if we will inherit eternal salvation because of a single salvation experience the word "believes" would need to be conjugated on the aorist tense, to emphasize that our believing was a past event. The aorist is a simple snapshot of the past. OSAS could also be expressed if the verb "believes" were conjugated in the perfect tense. This would even be a better choice (imo) in that it would indicate that the action of believing began and was completed in the past and has a resulting state in the present "We believed and are still believing." However, neither of these tenses is used. Instead "believe" is a present tense participle which by definition denotes current ongoing faith in Christ so that it could be translated, "everyone who continually believes." Since I do not expect you to take my word for it here is the opinion of an expert linguist:

Professor of NT Greek at Dallas Theological Seminary, Daniel Wallace translates the present participle in John 3:16 as "everyone who continually believes."
Wallace Daniel B., Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics, p. 620

So the promise is to those who have ongoing faith in Christ. This agrees with John's emphasis on the necessity of ABIDING REMAINING and CONTINUING in Him found elsewhere in His gospel.

Whatever you might make of this verse it is NOT saying a person who has believed in Him once upon a revival shall never perish. Thus it cannot be used as evidence to support OSAS

Last edited:

turbosixx

You don't know how to "Rightly Divide" the written word of God. Therefore,
you live in ignorance and confusion.

Do you understand what that really means? It's doesn't mean to separate! It's means to accuratley handle which you are not doing by dividing those who believe in Jesus.

turbosixx

unto God!

Ephesians 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

Ephesians 2:14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

Ephesians 2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Ephesians 2:16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:

Yes, they were reconciled to God but what does the passage say they were separated from? What does the passage say separated them? Once reconciled, what were they joined to?

Separated from Israel.
Eph. 2:12 that at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world.

Separated by the law of Moses.
14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, 15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances,

Joined to Israel
....so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace,16 and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity. 17 And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near. 18 For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father. 19 Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God,

After this is when Paul tells them the mystery. If I understand your view of the mystery, it’s wrong. The mystery is that the Gentiles would be added to Israel not a separate group.
Eph. 2:6 that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, of the same body,
Rom. 11:17 And if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and with them became a partaker of the root and fatness of the olive tree,

Why would Paul testify to the gospel of grace by preaching the kingdom of God?
Acts 20:24 But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. 25 “And indeed, now I know that you all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, will see my face no more.

Last edited:

turbosixx

How stupid.

Those of us who are saved have trusted the Lord believing the work of our salvation was accomplished by grace through the faith of the Lord Jesus Christ/by the cross/by the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ and God raising Him from the dead! We know Whom we have believed, and are persuaded that He is able to keep that which we have committed unto Him against that day.

If it's stupid to be able to understand how the entire NT from Matt.-Rev. works and being able to see total agreement from one book to another, I'm fine with being stupid.

Shasta

@Shasta maybe I am misunderstanding you, but are you saying OSAS is a part of the Calvinistic Doctrine? I mean I can agree with you to a certain extent, but my understaning is that Calvinists believe that when you are saved you are saved , HOWEVER it differs from at least the Baptist Church I grew up in in that if you rebel against God you were likely never to have been saved in the first place. Can you expound upon that more? I just got saved a year ago, after 19 years of believing I was saved with no changes in my life. So I am new To studying the Bible and theology. Humbly I must say that from my understanding of OSAS is that once you are saved you never lose your salvation wether you live the rest of your life in sin or not. which from the Calvinistic point that once you are saved God begins to consecrate or sanctify you to him. So if you sin, the Holy Spirit convicts you to repentance. Therefore, in order sin and continue to live in sin with no repentance or conviction you were never saved to begin with.

The Doctrine of Perseverence in a Christian context came ultimately from Augustine and was passed to Luther and his followers. Perseverance was based on predestination. Who the elect are will only be discovered in the end. Augustine and Luther believed that true Christians could apostasize from the faith. Only believers who were among the elect had the "gift of perseverance."

I have not fully researched this so I am open to whomever has a definitive reference but conceptualizing perseverance to OSAS was the work of Calvin who made final salvation a corollary of "Irresistable Grace."

The whole idea of TULIP was imported into Christianity in 400s AD by Augustine from Manichaeism, a Gnostic cult to which he belonged before his conversion to Christianity. All the orthodox theologians in the three hundred years prior to him rejected notions like "predestination" and "inability" and "antinomian security" as pagan and foreign to the Faith.

The Greek speaking Fathers back to the First Century denied unconditional eternal security while also rejecting that a person could be saved by works. If Calvin and many modern teachers were transported back in time to the second century I am certain their views would be considered heretical. We are so used to hearing it that we think it is orthodox Christianity.

I was a Baptist once and whenever a convert or an experienced believer walked away from the faith they would say either that (1) they were still saved regardless, (2) God would lead them home (someday) or lead them home to Glory or (3) they were never truly saved in the first place. (2) was an attempt to preserve the necessity of walking in righteousness as well as give other believers security. (3) is an example of circular reasoning which goes If they walked away they never were in because if they were truly in (by definition) they never would have walked away (1) is antinomianism, a shameless denial that a Christian needs to obey at all. This is the perfect ride for many - the possession of a dual license: to sin and to enter heaven. This one is most like the belief of the Second Century Gnostics.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
You focus intently on words when that fall in line with your thinking but when they don’t you choose to overlook them. Is that a wise approach to understanding truth? You say there are two messages; scripture proves they are the same message. Why is Paul testifying to the gospel of grace by preaching the kingdom?

Huh?

turbosixx

I hope you don't mind, but, I don't accept your opinions. No offence
intended.

I'm here to challenge my understanding of truth as well as others. Paul lived his entire life with a clear conscience but was dead wrong at one point. "He who thinks he stands take heed." I am always taking heed. I appreciate others pointing out where I might be wrong.

turbosixx

I hope you don't mind, but, I don't accept your opinions. No offence
intended.

I don't even trust my opinion.

Greek word used for rightly divide.

Original Word: ὀρθοτομέω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: orthotomeó
Phonetic Spelling: (or-thot-om-eh'-o)
Short Definition: I cut straight, handle correctly
Definition: I cut straight; met: I handle correctly, teach rightly.

Greek word for separate.

Original Word: μερίζω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: merizó
Phonetic Spelling: (mer-id'-zo)
Short Definition: I divide, part, share
Definition: I divide into parts, divide, part, share, distribute; mid: I share, take part in a partitioning; I distract.