Open Theism Stirs Controversy on College Campuses

godrulz

Hall of Fame
God has everything, but He does not NEED anything. He is self-sufficient and perfect. To experience changing thoughts, feelings, acts, relations, love, creativity, etc. is not a technical need. It is simply the glorious, perfect reality of any personal being, including God. Jesus is the PERFECT God-Man. He is God with a face. He GREW (= change, by definition) spiritually, intellectually, physically, socially (Luke 2:52). These changes did not make Him imperfect. God the Father did not change as a man, but the principle also applies to Him. There are some ways He changes (relations, communication, fellowship, experiences of changing reality, etc.) without becoming less than perfect. He does not change in His essential uncreated being/attributes/character. He does change in relation to external realities that He created. When a baby is conceived and born, this is new reality for the parents and God that did not co-exist with God from eternity past. It is a new object of knowledge that was once possible and is now actual. Your root assumptions about God and change are flawed.

AiryStottel

12/26/04 My reply
TO godrulz

I can see the sincerity in your reply, but you continue to make additional blasphemous statements, through ignorance I am sure.

YOU WROTE:
Pinnock: "Aspects of the future, being unsettled, are not yet wholly known, even to God. It does not mean that God is ignorant of something He ought to know, but that many things in the future are only possible and not yet actual. Therefore, He correctly knows them as possible and not actual."

MY RESPONSE:
Did you know that God is pure act? Do you know what pure act means? It means there is no potentiality in God. Find me a theologian who says otherwise, and I’ll show you a phoney theologian. Your assumptions based on someone’s blasphemous description of God’s nature are unsupportable.

To compound the felony, you add two more blasphemous statements, namely:
“As omnipotence is limited by the possible, so omniscience is limited by the knowable.”

My friend, God is absolutely omnipotent, meaning infinitely powerful, not semi-infinitely powerful, and God has infinite knowledge, not semi-infinite knowledge. There are no limits on what is infinite. God has no limits, no bounds, and no equals. To say limits can be placed on God, is blasphemous, to say that God can do what is contrary to God’s nature is equally blasphemous.

If you are truly searching for the one true God, then I will respond to any honest arguments you present.

Bye,

Airy

godrulz

Hall of Fame
You have adopted a narrow, Greek philosophical view on the nature of God. "The Untamed God" by Jay Wesley Richards wrestles with the Scriptural and philosophical views surrounding God's perfection, simplicity, and immutability. There is more to the story than accepting assumptions uncritically.

What Pinnock meant by limits on God's omnipotence is that God cannot create a square circle, He cannot make Himself uncreated, He cannot create a rock so heavy that He cannot lift it. Atheists who suggest the latter, simply are proposing an absurd, self-contradictory test. It is not a slam on God's omnipotence, but a slam on our intelligence to propose stupid, illogical questions. There are absolutes in God's universe. He cannot incarnate as Jesus and in a woman's body at the same time. He cannot incarnate in 4 B.C. and return after His death and resurrection in 2004 A.D. +? at the same instant in space-time history. This is not a limitation on God, but an illogical understanding of God's nature and reality. 2+2=4. It does not limit God's power because He cannot logically make 2+2=4 and 2+2=24 at the same time in an ordered universe that reflects His intelligence. Jesus cannot be God in the flesh and a created, finite angel at the same time. His reality is that He is not a created angel, but He is the Creator of angels. This truth displays His essential glory and cannot be argued to be a limitation on omnipotence (which you logically seem to think it would be according to your rules and definitions of limits and the unlimited).

What is your religious background? Is there a reason you refuse to answer? Do you speculate philosophically about God without knowing Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior?

AiryStottel

To godrulz,

You are not going to get away that easy. Here is your quote from Pinnock:

"Aspects of the future, being unsettled, are not yet wholly known, even to God. It does not mean that God is ignorant of something He ought to know, but that many things in the future are only possible and not yet actual. Therefore, He correctly knows them as possible and not actual."

Your explanation of what Pinnock said is disingenuous. His statement says that there are aspects of the future ....not yet wholly known, even to God. That is blasphemy and you know it.

If you want to continue this debate, then be honest about what you are doing and don’t try to bend, twist, and distort every which way possible, what is being said on one side or the other. Blasphemy is something that God will not tolerate . . . ever....and neither will I.

Bye,

Airy

P.S. Let’s not make up rules as we go as you have just done. You cannot castle if you have already moved the king. You want to castle even though you previously moved the king AND the rook. Shame on you.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AiryStottel

To godrulz,

You are not going to get away that easy. Here is your quote from Pinnock:

"Aspects of the future, being unsettled, are not yet wholly known, even to God. It does not mean that God is ignorant of something He ought to know, but that many things in the future are only possible and not yet actual. Therefore, He correctly knows them as possible and not actual."

Your explanation of what Pinnock said is disingenuous. His statement says that there are aspects of the future ....not yet wholly known, even to God. That is blasphemy and you know it.

If you want to continue this debate, then be honest about what you are doing and don’t try to bend, twist, and distort every which way possible, what is being said on one side or the other. Blasphemy is something that God will not tolerate . . . ever....and neither will I.

Bye,

Airy

P.S. Let’s not make up rules as we go as you have just done. You cannot castle if you have already moved the king. You want to castle even though you previously moved the king AND the rook. Shame on you.

You wrongly assume that the future has already happened and is an object of knowledge. If omniscience is knowing all that is knowable (cf. omnipotence is doing all that is doable...you have not refuted the logic laws that prove that if A is non-B, then A cannot be B at the same time), then the issue is what is logically an object of knowledge. Time is unidirectional moving from the potential future into the fixed past. The future is not there, so not knowing it is not a limitation on omniscience. Are you saying that the Second Coming of Christ has happened and that it happened before creation, incarnation, and resurrection? It is self-evident that this concept is non-sensical. God correctly knows reality as it is based on objective truth. He can distinguish the past, present, and future and necessary, contingent, actual/certain (we can, so why can't God? Are we greater than God?).

It is not blasphemous to accurately represent the revelation of God. It is blasphemous to claim to be God if you are not (Jesus was falsely accused of this) or to say God is an idol, etc. To wrestle with the nature of His creation, free will, predestination, etc. is the glory of a king to search out knowledge. You do not understand the alternate view well enough to interact with the strengths of its logic. You are rejecting a straw man caricature of the Open View, as do many traditional Calvinists, etc. They wrongly accuse the view of being process thought or finitism. In fact, it upholds the great truths of God's infinite glories and absolutes of wonder.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by godrulz

What is your religious background? Is there a reason you refuse to answer? Do you speculate philosophically about God without knowing Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior?

Why do you avoid sharing your influences and biases? Would it affect your credibility? The real issue is what we do with the person and work of Christ, not whether God knows amd experiences the future exhaustively ('eternal now') or as an open possibility full of adventure and wonder (everlasting duration).

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

12/26/04 From deardelmar

YOU WROTE:
GOD is perfect! I believe God is perfect! Clete believes God is perfect! every one on this thread including those I disagree with on a great many things believe God is perfect!You claim perfection can not change!
Knight has refuted your claim!
Clete has refuted your claim!
godrulz has refuted your claim!
Your response,instead of arguing against specific points that each of them made, was to call their arguments blasphemous! Because you are "light years ahead ... in this area"! Grow up and answer specific points addressed or go away!

MY RESPONSE:
Just because you are ignorant of the meaning of the terms
“absolute perfection” and “eternal”, you want me to go away.
I am not ignorant of these terms and I only told you to go away if you are unwilling to address specific points that people have raised!
Is it because you are at a loss to explain your contradictions? Or is it because you wish to wallow in the pigsty of blasphemous theology? Which is it?
The idea that these are NOT contradictions has been proposed by Clete in post #458, by Knight in #459 and by godrulz in #469 I afirm and agree with their arguments! The only thing you have done to refute them is to imply that your understanding is greater than ours!
Explain your contradiction that you believe God is absolutely perfect, and that God changes. Explain why a being Who has everything needs anything. If a being has everything it needs, then why would it need “new thoughts”? You, my friend, are in a dilemma, you have painted yourself into a corner, and now you want me to help you explain why you painted yourself into a corner.
I have asked for no such thing!

You are the one who painted himself into a corner, I had nothing to do with it and so now you are angry with me for something you did.

No sir, I will not take the blame for what you did to yourself, no sir.

Bye,

Airyz
I am not angry! I am not ranting and raving or pounding on the keyboard! I disagree with you and I have asked you to I am simply asking you to refute posts #458 #459 and #469 with somthing more substancial than saying they don't make sense!

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

You mentioned it in passing concurring with logos-x or someone else who disagreed with you on other areas, but shared common ground on the eternal destiny of the wicked. I was catching up on the thread so gave my two cents. It is not an issue at this point of the thread, but is of interest for my curiosity. I disagree with you, but respect your right and boldness to hold non-traditional views, as I do in some areas. You deny a classic, biblical belief in this one area. It does not make you an unbeliever in Christ. I wish you had the same sense in my case.
It's a theory actually. Not something I hold to completely. But I can find scripture for it.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I've been out of town for most of the last 48 hours and have missed a lot! Please be patient while I try to get caught up!

To Clete:

If you refuse to answer my question, how can we have an honest debate on this question of open-ended theology? My question is this: do you believe that God is absolutely perfect? Yes or no!
I answered the question! Yes! Of course God is perfect.

If your answer is yes, then it is impossible for someone who is absolutely perfect to undergo a change, because then by changing, what WAS absolute perfection is NO LONGER absolute perfection.
This is not logically sound. A change (as I have already explained) is not necessarily for the better or for the worse and Aristotle reasoned. Some things change because of the nature of that thing in which case for it not to change would indicate an imperfection. Any living thing that does not change in at least some important ways, is anything but perfect.

You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to understand that.
Would a perfect rocket scientist ever change?

My example of an absolutely perfect circle, was just that.....an example
It was an example of apples to oranges, which again, I have already explained. God is not an inanimate object and thus your "example" is fundamentally flawed.

just as Jesus Christ had to use examples to explain to his ignorant apostles what God was all about.
This was stated to insinuate that I am ignorant and that you are the great teacher. You are as arrogant as anyone on this board, not to mention a hypocrite.

If your answer is no, then you are making a blasphemous statement concerning the one true God, or you are describing your god, who is mutable and imperfect, and you have every right to worship false gods, rocks, chickens, ducks .....and the sun, among many other things.
God is both mutable and absolutely perfect.

P.S. If you knew the real nature of God, saying that God is alive is an understatement times infinity. You are trying to teach someone who is light years ahead of you in this area.. Alive means infinite love, infinite power, infinite light, infinite mercy, infinite justice, .................and so on. Think before you speak.
I don't know who the crap you think you are buster brown but I recommend you get right down off you high horse and stop talking down to me. I've already defeated you in this debate about six times and you just gleefully ignore every point I make. Continue like this for much longer and you'll make my ignore list fast than anyone in TOL history. I'm a pretty patient guy most of the time but I am not stupid, nor will I be treated as such by you or anyone else. If I am wrong, show me. If you cannot then say so and then go to your quiet place and think long and hard about what it means that you cannot answer the question of someone who has not had one single minute of formal Bible training, doesn't know Greek or Hebrew, doesn't pastor a church or even teach a Sunday school class.

Now, I have clearly and directly answered you questions. Quid pro quo Airy; your turn....

Has God always been a man?

Has God ever been a man?

Is God a man today?

Has God ever died?

Is God dead now?

In what way is it possible to reconcile the incarnation, crucifixion, burial and resurrection with the idea that God is utterly immutable?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lighthouse

It's a theory actually. Not something I hold to completely. But I can find scripture for it.

Based on grammar in John (same sentence), if punishment is not eternal, than neither is eternal life forever. Verses in Revelation are interesting in that the beast and false prophet are still in torment after 1000 years when Satan joins them in the lake of fire. Then they will be tormented forever and ever with those who hate God.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

God is both mutable and absolutely perfect.

Clete

We might clarify that God is immutable in some senses, but changes in other senses.

His uncreated attributes do not change. His moral character is consistent. However, His experiences and relations do change. These are outside of His being, but they do affect Him personally. When God said creation was 'very good', He had a certain inner disposition. When man fell, He was grieved and regretted making man. This was a change in His inner disposition without making Him imperfect or changing His essential character and attributes. An absolutely changeless personal being is no better than an impersonal rock.

Even classicaL theologians are moving away from strong immutability and impassibility. It does not do justice to the revelation of the Living God in Scripture.

Me thinks you are stuck in the stone age (pun intended), while you think we are moving into heresy.

Are you a believer in Christ or a mere student of abstract philosophy, Airy?

Balder

Are God's characteristics contingent? Is God dependent upon Creation for any of his essential attributes? For instance, what about holiness: in the Hebrew understanding, holiness means something set apart, something removed from the "common." How can God be "set apart" prior to the existence of anything mundane from which to be removed? Similarly, how can God be all-knowing prior to there being an "all" -- a phenomenal world of discrete things which can be known by a subject? Prior to creation, was God neither holy nor all-knowing?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Balder

Are God's characteristics contingent? Is God dependent upon Creation for any of his essential attributes? For instance, what about holiness: in the Hebrew understanding, holiness means something set apart, something removed from the "common." How can God be "set apart" prior to the existence of anything mundane from which to be removed? Similarly, how can God be all-knowing prior to there being an "all" -- a phenomenal world of discrete things which can be known by a subject? Prior to creation, was God neither holy nor all-knowing?

Before creation, God knew all that was knowable and was essentially righteous and holy.

God is uncreated. His metaphysical attributes (eternal, omnipotent, triune, omniscient, omnipresent) are who He is and has always been. His character (faithfulness, holiness, love, etc.) are in the realm of morals. He always choses the good, wise, and right, consistent with His eternal nature. His personal attributes (will, intellect, emotions) have always been with the eternal God.

We are not God. We do not share His essential, eternal, uncreated metaphysical attributes. We are in the personal and moral image of God. We can reflect these character traits though without the perfection that God has. We can be loving, faithful, holy, etc. We cannot be uncreated and omniscient.

We do not want to confuse the Creator with the creature, but we are personal and moral beings. We are not gods. He is infinite; we are finite.

AiryStottel

12/26/04
To godrulz

Once again, you try to obfuscate the issue. Perhaps if you understood what omniscient means, you wouldn’t be making blasphemous statements.

From Webster’s dictionary:
Main Entry: om·ni·scient
Pronunciation: -sh&nt
Function: adjective
Etymology: New Latin omniscient-, omnisciens, back-formation from Medieval Latin omniscientia
1 : having infinite awareness, understanding, and insight
2 : possessed of universal or complete knowledge

You imply you believe God is omniscient, but you really don’t understand what it is you are saying. If God is omniscient, that means that God has total knowledge of what we consider the past, present and future.

When you agree with Pinnock that “aspects of the future, being unsettled, are not yet wholly known, even to God”, you are denying that God is omniscient. That, my friend, is blasphemy, and as you very well know, blasphemy is anything which derogates from the prerogatives of God. You need to do a lot more research before YOU can lecture ME on what blasphemes the one true God and what does not.

You wrongly assume that God views time the same way we view it. Time is a measurement just as 36 inches is a measurement. Measurements are not things, but you need things to measure.. If you knew the difference between the being of God, Who is eternal, or immeasurable, and time, which IS measurable, then you could see why you are tying yourself all up in knots. Time is meaningless without things to measure. How do you propose to measure God?

Also, you do not have to be a Calvinist to reject open-ended theology, you simply need common sense. By espousing that theology, it necessitates the rejection of God’s attributes, because when you reject one attribute, the domino theory takes effect because once you take away one of God’s perfections, it affects all of God’s perfections. For example, if you say that God is not omniscient because God has no knowledge of the future, then that impacts the attribute of omnipotence, etc., etc., etc.

Once you make God less than absolute perfection, the road to hell gets steeper and steeper. May you reverse your direction before you find it impossible to do so. Although God’s mercy is infinite, we must never forget that God’s justice is also infinite.

Airy

Sozo

If you knew the difference between the being of God, Who is eternal, or immeasurable, and time, which IS measurable, then you could see why you are tying yourself all up in knots. Time is meaningless without things to measure.

You just said time is measurable and immeasurable in the same breath. Please explain.

Are events measuarable if there are no "things" involved?

godrulz

Hall of Fame

12/26/04
To godrulz

When you agree with Pinnock that “aspects of the future, being unsettled, are not yet wholly known, even to God”, you are denying that God is omniscient. That, my friend, is blasphemy, and as you very well know, blasphemy is anything which derogates from the prerogatives of God. You need to do a lot more research before YOU can lecture ME on what blasphemes the one true God and what does not.

You wrongly assume that God views time the same way we view it. Time is a measurement just as 36 inches is a measurement. Measurements are not things, but you need things to measure.. If you knew the difference between the being of God, Who is eternal, or immeasurable, and time, which IS measurable, then you could see why you are tying yourself all up in knots. Time is meaningless without things to measure. How do you propose to measure God?

Airy

Time can be measured in various ways: seconds, moons, sleeps, minutes, hours, days, etc. Even without our earthly measures of time, sequence/duration/succession was experienced by the eternal God. If He did not, then fellowship, communication, love, will, intellect, emotion were not possible for God from all eternity. Time is duration. The measure of time is not pertinent to the everlasting God.

You still do not understand that God knowing the future as possible rather than actual is not a denial of omniscience. He correctly knows reality as it is. The future is not there to know. If it was, He would know it. Because He does not know the unknowable, this is not inconsistent with God's infinite knowledge. I concur with Webster's definition, which does not specify whether God knows the future as a fixed certainty or an open possibility.

When you identify your faith background or lack thereof, and when you understand the alternate view (even if you reject it), I will continue to consider your comments. At the moment, you have tunnel vision and are rejecting something you do not understand.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Sozo

You just said time is measurable and immeasurable in the same breath. Please explain.

Are events measuarable if there are no "things" involved?

Time=succession/duration/sequence regardless whether or how we measure it.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Based on grammar in John (same sentence), if punishment is not eternal, than neither is eternal life forever. Verses in Revelation are interesting in that the beast and false prophet are still in torment after 1000 years when Satan joins them in the lake of fire. Then they will be tormented forever and ever with those who hate God.
I don't remember the verse, most likely because it is worded differently in the KJV than in the NIV, but I remember reading somewhere that God alone is immortal. So I have trouble reconciling the idea that souls are not immortal with the idea that hell is eternal. Actually, we already know hell is thrwon into the lake of fire. And so are the souls of those who were in hell. But you know what I mean. I have trouble believing that souls remain in the lake of fire forever. And based on may OT laws, it seems that God's justice would call for the destruction of these souls. As well as the destruction of satan and the demons. Also, the Bible tells us that when death is thrown into the lake of fire it is destroyed. As is hell, obviously, since it is no longer useful. Why not everything else that is thrown into the lake of fire? What's the point in keeping any of it around?