Open Theism Stirs Controversy on College Campuses

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by STONE

Deardelmar,
That is not part of scripture, neither would I respond as you said.
OK, I'll play! God told Jonah to tell the people of Nineveh that they would be destroyed in 40 days. 40 days after he delivered the message Nineveh was still standing. Why? Was Jonah proven wrong when the city of Nineveh was not destroyed? Was God trying to make Jonah out to be a liar?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Now you are suggesting you are making a weak argument?
Why if I believe in exhaustive forknowledge would it have to be so.

My point regarding your other arguments is if you would take an adamant position of what I would say with no evidence, even after I told you that I would take that position, then you would not be credible.

You could always recant or appologize.
No, you said I was making a weak argument and I was playing along as though you were right! You will notice the argument that you called weak was about how I thought you would respond. Since I take scripture a little more seriously than my view of your response, it would therefore give no evidence as to whether my view of scripture is accurate.

STONE

Originally posted by deardelmar

OK, I'll play! God told Jonah to tell the people of Nineveh that they would be destroyed in 40 days. 40 days after he delivered the message Nineveh was still standing. Why? Was Jonah proven wrong when the city of Nineveh was not destroyed? Was God trying to make Jonah out to be a liar?
No, neither God nor Jonah was to be made out to be a liar. You already know the answer to the question of why Nineveh wasn't destroyed; because the city repented. Your point is "why doesn't this show God changes his mind, or didn't mean what He said?".
The Lord doesn't change Deardelmar, but follows His righteousness:

Here is your answer:
"Again, when I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; if he turn from his sin, and do that which is lawful and right; If the wicked restore the pledge, give again that he had robbed, walk in the statutes of life, without committing iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die. None of his sins that he hath committed shall be mentioned unto him: he hath done that which is lawful and right; he shall surely live. Yet the children of thy people say, The way of the Lord is not equal: but as for them, their way is not equal."

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

No, neither God nor Jonah was to be made out to be a liar. You already know the answer to the question of why Nineveh wasn't destroyed; because the city repented. Your point is "why doesn't this show God changes his mind, or didn't mean what He said?".
The Lord doesn't change Deardelmar, but follows His righteousness:

Here is your answer:
"Again, when I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; if he turn from his sin, and do that which is lawful and right; If the wicked restore the pledge, give again that he had robbed, walk in the statutes of life, without committing iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die. None of his sins that he hath committed shall be mentioned unto him: he hath done that which is lawful and right; he shall surely live. Yet the children of thy people say, The way of the Lord is not equal: but as for them, their way is not equal."
Very good! What God said would happen did not happen beause the city repented. Just as What Jesus said would happen with Peter, would not have had to happen if Peter had repented!

Last edited:

STONE

Very good! What God said would happen did not happen beause the city repented. Just as What Jesus said would happen with Peter, would not have had to happen if Peter had repented!
You are saying Peter could have repented or humbled himself. You are not explaining why the event happened exactly as Jesus specifically said it would.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Because Jesus knew his heart! Why is that so hard to understand?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Let's say for example that at the moment Jesus made this statement Peter had humbled himself and said yes Lord your right! My faith is weak! I do believe Jesus would have modified his statement and the events would not have happened as Jesus stated. This would, of coarse, in no way prove Jesus wrong!
I'd kind of like to know if other OV'ers agree ?

STONE

Because Jesus knew his heart! Why is that so hard to understand?
God knows everything about them deardelmar, this does not mean they couldn't of done something differently then he "guessed" considering free will.
You are not accounting for free choice in man to make another discision, or go in another direction, which could have proved Jesus wrong. Either God contolled everything and everyone and what they said and did, or He knew the future.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

God knows everything about them deardelmar
Yes that's right
this does not mean they couldn't of done something differently then he "guessed" considering free will.
I didn't say he was guessing
You are not accounting for free choice in man to make another discision, or go in another direction
Why do you say that?
which could have proved Jesus wrong
No it would have showed that Jesus responded according to his righteous character in exactly the same way the Father did in not distroying Nineveh !

Either God contolled everything and everyone and what they said and did, or He knew the future.
Or he controlled everything and everyone that he needed to control in order to make his point and yes, he does know all future events that he causes to come to pass!

Last edited:

STONE

Yes that's right I didn't say he was guessing Why do you say that? No it would have showed that Jesus responded according to his righteous character in exactly the same way the Father did in not distroying Nineveh !

Or he controlled everything and everyone that he needed to control in order to make his point and yes, he does know all future events that he causes to come to pass!
Are you saying He didn't make an educated guess based on knowing Peter and everyone else involved in the Peter's denial incident?
Or that God did make an educated guess and also controlled certain people (to the degree that he needed to) to make certain things be done and said exactly as Jesus predicted?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Are you saying He didn't make an educated guess based on knowing Peter and everyone else involved in the Peter's denial incident?
Or that God did make an educated guess and also controlled certain people (to the degree that he needed to) to make certain things be done and said exactly as Jesus predicted?
God said he was going to destroy Nineveh There was no guess about it! He relented when the people repented!

Peter was getting cocky and Jesus humbled him! If Peter had humbled himself he could have changed his own future just as the people of Nineveh changed theirs.

STONE

deardelmar,
Let's take the fact that Peter didn't humble himself, or if it were even possible, off the table because it didn't happen.
Now answer the question in post 393 if you would, please.

STONE

Here is another:

"Before I formed thee in the womb, I knew thee" (Jer. 1: 5).

Why did God say He knew someone who didn't exist?
If He meant "I knew how I would form thee" why didn't he say that?

AiryStottel

There is no future in God, so who is begging the question?

There is no future in God, so who is begging the question?

Whatever side you are on, please note that as far as God is concerned, there is no future, for if there were, God would exist in time. Since God is eternal, how could God exist in the past OR the future?

So this argument is wasting valuable time and energy.

STONE

Re: There is no future in God, so who is begging the question?

Originally posted by AiryStottel

Whatever side you are on, please note that as far as God is concerned, there is no future, for if there were, God would exist in time. Since God is eternal, how could God exist in the past OR the future?

Please elaborate on your point as it is not clear.
I will answer your question afterward.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

That depends on how you define eternity.

Time is not a place or a thing that has its own independent existence. It is not a created thing. It is an idea, a frame of reference, if you will, by which a thinking mind accounts for sequence and duration. Hours, minutes, days, weeks, years, eternity, etc is not what time is, they are measurements of time but they are not time itself. Time is simply that which happens between to events. If God planned creation before performing it, then that planning was an event, and so was the creation itself an event; and so there was a sequence to those events and a duration to each of those events and a duration in-between those events, thus there was time before creation, by definition.
Something that has limitless time or an infinite amount of time is eternal, which is just the exact opposite of what you are suggesting with your post. Eternity is not the absence of time but the infinite abundance of it.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

Does God exist in heaven? Well, guess what? There's time in heaven according to Revelation 8:1 - "And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour."