Open Theism Stirs Controversy on College Campuses

Sozo

Is the past tense of glick, gluck? If God is always glicking and has never glucked, then God has never officially stopped glicking. Therefore, nothing is ever created, but creating. Right?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Sozo

Is the past tense of glick, gluck? If God is always glicking and has never glucked, then God has never officially stopped glicking. Therefore, nothing is ever created, but creating. Right?
:noid:

:crackup:

SOTK

Clete,

I'm not sure if you are still following this thread or not. I don't want you to think I am ignoring your post to me in this thread. I realize you posted it a while ago. First off, I am still pretty busy. I get on TOL from time to time but for short periods of time. Second of all, Jim Hilston is doing a great job explaining the concept of infinity, free will, etc. I am still learning. He's doing a much better job than I could. :)

Rest assured that when I feel a little more knowledgeable about this interesting subject, I'll dig in more. :)

In Christ,

SOTK

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Knight

Yea... I think I would agree with that.

Now.... assuming God "glicks" often and that planning creation was a "glick" I bet we could agree that this planning creation glick" was comprised of many smaller "glicks" i.e., planning different parts of creation and so on.

- Planning out the universe... "glick"!
- Planning out nature... "glick"!
- Planning out animals and plants... "glick"!
- Planning out humans... "glick"!
- etc.

Fair enough?
The purpose of inventing the word was to represent its ineffability. What Moses describes in Genesis 1 is an anthropopathism. God's decrees to create preceded the actual creation. So the day-by-day process we see in Genesis 1 is the outworking of God's decree to create. The Father willed it, the Son decreed it, and the Spirit carried it out. The decrees of God and the process that spawns them are ineffable. We can only approximate God's mind by using anthropopathic language. Prior to creation, there was no "process" that bound God's mind or decrees. The logical ordering of God's decrees are completely, uniquely and utterly arbitrary.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Hilston

The purpose of inventing the word was to represent its ineffability.
I know.... but you have to admit it's kinda fun to say.... "Glick".

You continue....
What Moses describes in Genesis 1 is an anthropopathism.
What specifically is the anthropopathism you are referring to?

Prior to creation, there was no "process" that bound God's mind or decrees. The logical ordering of God's decrees are completely, uniquely and utterly arbitrary.
I really am not sure if I understand what you are saying here.

Why would you use the word "arbitrary"?

Hilston

Hall of Fame
I know.... but you have to admit it's kinda fun to say.... "Glick".
It is. I enjoyed Sozo's parsing of its verb form.

What specifically is the anthropopathism you are referring to?
The anthropopathisms that describe God as using a thought process, and deciding things sequentially, etc.

Hilston wrote:
Prior to creation, there was no "process" that bound God's mind or decrees. The logical ordering of God's decrees are completely, uniquely and utterly arbitrary.

I really am not sure if I understand what you are saying here.
I'm saying that God is the only truly free agent. He is not bound by any laws, by any constraints or limitations. When He chooses to order his decrees, he does so, not by necessity, not by constraints of time or sequence, but completely and utterly by fiat. God is the only truly arbitrary mind in existence.

Why would you use the word "arbitrary"?
Because He is God!

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Main Entry: ar·bi·trary 'är-b&-"trer-E
Function: adjective
1 : depending on individual discretion (as of a judge) and not fixed by standards, rules, or law
2 a : not restrained or limited in the exercise of power
b : marked by or resulting from the unrestrained exercise of power

[Source: Merriam-Webster Dictionary of Law, © 1996 Merriam-Webster, Inc.]

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by SOTK

Clete,

I'm not sure if you are still following this thread or not. I don't want you to think I am ignoring your post to me in this thread. I realize you posted it a while ago. First off, I am still pretty busy. I get on TOL from time to time but for short periods of time. Second of all, Jim Hilston is doing a great job explaining the concept of infinity, free will, etc. I am still learning. He's doing a much better job than I could. :)

Rest assured that when I feel a little more knowledgeable about this interesting subject, I'll dig in more. :)

In Christ,

SOTK

Yeah, I'm still around. I've just been super busy for the last week or so and haven't been able to post as much as usuall.
I'll get caught up eventually and I'll look forward to any input you offer if and when you offer it. :thumb:

God bless!

Resting in Him,
Clete

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame

Do you think God planned creation?

Proverbs 8 speaks of Wisdom (Holy Spirit).
Pro 8:22 The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.
Pro 8:23 I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.
Pro 8:24 When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.
Pro 8:25 Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth:
Pro 8:26 While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world.
Pro 8:27 When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:
Pro 8:28 When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep:
Pro 8:29 When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth:
Pro 8:30 Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him;
Pro 8:31 Rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth; and my delights were with the sons of men.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

No. God is not constrained by sequential constructs. He is not limited by a "process" or "procedure" of thought. He is totally, completely, thoroughly and absolutely free. That's why it's a mistake to assume that God thinks the way we do. Everything about our thought processes are constrained and enslaved to innumerable factors, effects and influences. This isn't true of God's mind. I think it is ineffable.

Jim,

You said the above statement and have said others in recent posts on this thread in such a way that causes me to think that you are aware of some logical contruct by which it can be demonstrated that such a position is logically necessary; that these statements are true because of the rational impossibility of the contrary. If this is so, please explain. As I have grown fond of asking you...
Show me the syllogism! -- Please!

Resting in Him,
Clete

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Frank Ernest

Proverbs 8 speaks of Wisdom (Holy Spirit).
Pro 8:22 The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.
Pro 8:23 I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.
Pro 8:24 When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.
Pro 8:25 Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth:
Pro 8:26 While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world.
Pro 8:27 When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:
Pro 8:28 When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep:
Pro 8:29 When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth:
Pro 8:30 Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him;
Pro 8:31 Rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth; and my delights were with the sons of men.

Proverbs 8 is a personification of wisdom (figure of speech). It is not a didactic passage (teaching) on the person of Christ nor the Holy Spirit (though both, in different contexts, are the wisdom of God).

Hilston

Hall of Fame
I think we were talking about our favorite kinds of cheese. And whether or not time is created for sole necessity of having those particular kinds of cheeses in existence. I think. :D

W.W.C.D.

What Would Cheeses Do?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

I think we were talking about our favorite kinds of cheese. And whether or not time is created for sole necessity of having those particular kinds of cheeses in existence. I think. :D

W.W.C.D.

What Would Cheeses Do?
:darwinsm:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hilston wrote:
Ok, so let me just add...

I really see no reason to believe that God doesn't think one thought after another thought, and do one thing after another thing (possibly even one "glick" after another "glick" :) ). I believe that is what makes God a rational God and not a irrational God. I do not believe that this fact limits His righteous character in any way. I see no evidence that God created time. Some things aren't expressly created such as love, mercy, righteousness etc. These are merely attributes of the Living God and therefore exist because He exists. Time is the same way, God is sequential and therefore reality is sequential.

But, at the moment I really don't feel like being all that dogmatic so..... there ya have it! :D

Last edited:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

The purpose of inventing the word was to represent its ineffability. What Moses describes in Genesis 1 is an anthropopathism. God's decrees to create preceded the actual creation. So the day-by-day process we see in Genesis 1 is the outworking of God's decree to create. The Father willed it, the Son decreed it, and the Spirit carried it out. The decrees of God and the process that spawns them are ineffable. We can only approximate God's mind by using anthropopathic language. Prior to creation, there was no "process" that bound God's mind or decrees. The logical ordering of God's decrees are completely, uniquely and utterly arbitrary.

1 entry found for anthropopathism.
an·thro·pop·a·thism
n.
Attribution of human feelings to things not human, such as inanimate objects, animals, or natural phenomena.

Anthropopathism is a really cool word! I just don't see how you know that it applies to the way the Bible discribes God! Why could it not be that the way humans see, think, feel and perceive reality is something of a reflection of the way God sees, thinks, feels, and perceives reality?
How do you know that you are not just spending too much time inferring the most far reaching possible meaning of terms like "all knowing" and "all powerful"?

STONE

Originally posted by godrulz

If he is playing games and does not want to examine his own and others views, then it would be a waste of time.
I am not sure why you are suggesting I might be playing games. The theological views of others are of prime importance to me, and that they be found to be correct in the light of scripture and the Holy Spirit.