Open Theism Stirs Controversy on College Campuses

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Christine

Delmar,
After I had gotten off the computer from making my previous post to you, I realized I'd forgotten something important. :doh: Saying that God "was sorry" or "repented" is a figure of speech because these are human attributes similiar to saying God has a heart. Man repents, man becomes sorry. God is not sorry for things he does, God has nothing to be repentent of.

This is an assumption and circular reasoning (assuming what you are trying to prove). The strength of the Open view is it takes God's revelation literally (verses that show God changing or an open future and predestination passages= some of the future is open and some of the future is settled), while the closed view only takes strong immutability and predestination passages literally and the others figuratively.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by deardelmar
I'll give you that "the Heart of God" is a figure of speech.
Ahhh, not so fast. In this context, it is a figure of speech only indirectly. Yes, the phrase comes from a figure of speech - we referenece the heart as that inner "je ne se qua" (you Frenchys out there get the correct spelling on that please!) of our emotions, but the context here is not referring to the beating heart, but to the actual figure of speech. Kind of a double-indirection, where the original reference is a figure, but the reference to the figure is literal.

Now, if the passage was "...and God's heart pumped blood..." THAT would be, directly, a figure of speech in the same context that we are speaking of here.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Je ne sais quoi= quality or attribute difficult to describe (lit. I do not know what). Je ne sais pas? (I do not know)

verb= savoir= to know

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Je ne sais quoi... thanks. Pretty close for guessing, but I'll have to figure out a way to remember it.

logos_x

Isn't it also saying that God's "emotional" response was because of the conditions mankind was having to endure?...He "hurt in His heart" and was "sorry He made man" because it was turning out so badly for them.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Yorzhik

Ahhh, not so fast. In this context, it is a figure of speech only indirectly.
That is incorrect, Yorzhik. It is directly figurative. All descriptions of God are figurative.

God_Is_Truth

Originally posted by Hilston

That is incorrect, Yorzhik. It is directly figurative. All descriptions of God are figurative.

even this one?

John 4
24God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."

what's figurative about that? is it not a description?

godrulz

Hall of Fame

God is love, God is truth, God is holy? Some desriptions are literal revelation of His nature, character, and ways. God is faithful, etc.

He will cover you with His wings. This is figurative.

SOME, not ALL descriptions are figurative. This is accepted hermeneutics and self-evident.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Is "spirit" an adequate description of God? No. The descriptions of God in scripture give us glimpses into His nature and character in terms that fall woefully short of reality. "God is spirit" calls to the human mind certain otherwise inconceivable attributes about God: He is invisible, He is not matter, He is not created, He is not limited. But all these terms are limited by the scope of human language and thought.

God_Is_Truth

Is "spirit" an adequate description of God? No. The descriptions of God in scripture give us glimpses into His nature and character in terms that fall woefully short of reality. "God is spirit" calls to the human mind certain otherwise inconceivable attributes about God: He is invisible, He is not matter, He is not created, He is not limited. But all these terms are limited by the scope of human language and thought.

i agree that it is not a complete description of God, however, the question is whether or not it's a literal description. "spirit" does indeed imply the things you gave, and so i ask, are those things literal as well? or are they figurative? if so, what of? the word spirit itself is not figurative for "invisible, not created etc." but rather includes those in the term itself.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

Accommodation? (language)

Anthropomorphisms/anthropopathisms?

God is transcendent, but He is also immanent.

God is uncreated Creator; we are creature.

Communication about God and man is not identical, nor is it radically different...e.g. God is personal and moral. Man is in the personal and moral image of God. God and man both have will, intellect, and emotions (impassibility and strong immutability are Greekish vs biblical concepts).

We are unlike God in His unique metaphysical qualities: eternity, triune, uncreated, Creator, omnipotent/scient/present.

erethnereh

First, what's the difference, though, between molinism and open theology?

Second what's knowledge? Does knowledge consist of everything God knows or of something else. If something else, then it appears at the beginning God had no knowledge. But if knowledge is simply everything that God knows, then if God doesn't know the entire future, then the future isn't proper knowledge.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by godrulz

When God says that He will remember our sins no more or 'forget them', it does not mean they are not an object of knowledge. Forgetting is the same as chosing to not bring them up again or hold them against us because of the blood. We say 'forget it' in reference to someone paying us money back. We release them, but it does not literally mean we cannot recall the amount owed.
Well, we are human, so sometimes it does.:chuckle:

e.g. Let's say God forgives us for past sin such as murder before we were a Christian. I became a Christian in jail. The legal system, the victim's family, myself, Satan, the media and the masses all know about my sin. If God 'forgot' about my sin, He would be reminded about it in various ways and various times. Every time I felt remorse during my prison term, God would once again recall the act (He knows the past and present perfectly, including my thoughts). It would be the same for wrong thoughts, motives, acts (sins) as a Christian. He forgives and forgets (cf. spouse who does not bring up our old offenses against them...remembers them, but does not hold it against us), but if we recall them, logically God would know it too. Omniscience and omnipresence preclude God from having a blank memory any more than we do unless we have a severe brain injury.
Why do you remember, why do you regret, when God has forgotten?! If God can not look upon sin, then what makes you think He can look upon your rememberance of them, anyway?

So, forgiveness is a relaxation of the penalty of the law based on a substituted penalty and repentant, renewed obedience (God saves us from our sins, not to continue in them). It is not an erasure of God's memory or ours. If He erased His memory (illogical), we would know more than God. If He erased our memory, we might persist in the sin thinking it is not an issue.
Not a 'relaxation,' but a removal. There is no penalty.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Does God really have a heart Delmar? God uses the same figure of speech in 1 Sam 13:14 when He says " the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart." God was using "heart" in 1 Samuel as a figure of speech to show what kind of man He wanted. God doesn't have arms or bones, and God doesn't have a heart. It's a figure of speech.
Oy.:doh:
No one even begins to think that this verse refers to a flesh and blood heart, Christine. I am not referencing my flesh and blood heart when I say, "I love God from the bottom of my heart." Are you?

You're assuming the present and past is all that is knowable, not the future as well.
:duh:

Delmar, parents may be surprised by certain sins that their children commit, but the parent knew all along that the child would sin. The parent knows there child has a sin nature, and will eventually commit a sin.
And we, most of the Open Theists on this board, also see God as such. He is not surprised we sin, but He may be surprised at what specific sin took place, or how deeply we sinned. This is why the blood of Jesus is effectual for all sin, for all time. Because God, though He did not know the specific times, places, and actions of our sins, knew we would sin. So He has forgiven us of all sin.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

How about, "God is infinite"? Is that figurative? Or, "God is immortal"?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Yorzhik

Ahhh, not so fast. In this context, it is a figure of speech only indirectly. Yes, the phrase comes from a figure of speech - we referenece the heart as that inner "je ne se qua" (you Frenchys out there get the correct spelling on that please!) of our emotions, but the context here is not referring to the beating heart, but to the actual figure of speech. Kind of a double-indirection, where the original reference is a figure, but the reference to the figure is literal.

Now, if the passage was "...and God's heart pumped blood..." THAT would be, directly, a figure of speech in the same context that we are speaking of here.
True the only point I was conceding was that God Doesn't really have a heart muscle.

Christine let's say for example the same sort of statement was made of Noah. Noah was sorry he had ever built the ark and it grieved him in his heart. When we read this we understand that Noahs actual heart muscle is not what we are talking about. Rather we would realize that Noah was grieved right down to the core of his inner being. This would in no way lead us to believe that he was not sorry he had built the ark. Would it?
So when Gen 6:6 says ...and it grieved him at his heart we get a very clear picture of how God literally felt about it!

Delmar,
After I had gotten off the computer from making my previous post to you, I realized I'd forgotten something important. :doh: Saying that God "was sorry" or "repented" is a figure of speech because these are human attributes similar to saying God has a heart. Man repents, man becomes sorry. God is not sorry for things he does, God has nothing to be repentant of.
How do you know these are only human attributes. We are after all made in the image of God! You have only managed to show that a God that can repent or be sorry does not fit Christine's view of God!

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lighthouse

Well, we are human, so sometimes it does.:chuckle:

Why do you remember, why do you regret, when God has forgotten?! If God can not look upon sin, then what makes you think He can look upon your rememberance of them, anyway?

Not a 'relaxation,' but a removal. There is no penalty.

Relax=remove in my mind.

We do not have to wallow in guilt, but rejoice in forgiveness. Satan tries to get us to remember. The reality is that we CAN remember if we want. God knows my every thought. Logically and by definition, an omniscient being would know my thoughts of my previous sin. I do not know more than the omniscient God. My point is that forgiveness does not mean amnesia biblically. It means that God choses to not bring up our sins or hold them against us due to redemption. He casts them as far as the east is from the west. This is figurative in that sins are not literal, physical items that can be thrown in the sea. Sins are choices that have affects, but they are not atomic/molecular/substance.

God_Is_Truth

Originally posted by erethnereh

First, what's the difference, though, between molinism and open theology?

Second what's knowledge? Does knowledge consist of everything God knows or of something else. If something else, then it appears at the beginning God had no knowledge. But if knowledge is simply everything that God knows, then if God doesn't know the entire future, then the future isn't proper knowledge.

you may find this to be of interest.

http://www.gregboyd.org/gbfront/index.asp?PageID=651

Christine

Originally posted by lighthouse

I brought up His repentance that He had made man.
From man's point of view, it may have looked like God repented of making man, or "repented" of saying he'd destroy Nineveh. Men describe the sun as "rising" and "setting" even though it's the earth, not the sun, that moves. So, was God's describing the events as how they appeared to the observer. Yet we're told in 1 Samuel 15:29, "And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent: for he is not a man, that he should repent. When God "repents" He is doing what He's promised all along, not punishing sinners that are repentant. Did God change His mind? Of course not! Man "repented" or changed, not God.

I know that numbers have meaning, in prophecy.
Only numbers in prophecy have meaning? What about other numbers like "seven" or "three?" Many would say they have significance as well, and if they have significance, why couldn't the number "forty?"

God is God. He is omnipotent. How do you think He could prevent it? God can do whatever He wants.
You think God could have interferred with man on earth to bring something about? Interesting, I've had other OV'ers tell me that in this present age God does not interfer with man.

Who said God even had a plan A that involved David? In fact, if God's original plan had gone through, then there wouldn't have been a king. And, even though there was, if Saul had not been so wicked, then Jonathan may have lived, and would have become king, instead of David. David being king was not the original plan. It wasn't even plan B.
All that appeared to be God's original plan, but God knew all along that Israel would want a king. God wasn't surprised when they wanted one, it's human nature to want to be like those around you. Israel wanted to be like the surrounding nations.

Time is not real. Only the past and present exist. The past has happened, and the present is happening. The future is neither.
Time isn't real?

And that verse is why I call it plan B. God had it, just in case the original plan didn't work. And it didn't. Israel rejected Jesus as Messiah, and Paul was called to preach the mystery.
Just because God kept the Body secret until Paul's conversion doesn't mean it was "Plan B."

No. The "us" is everyone. That was God's original plan, and intention, that all would be holy and blameless...
Everyone in the whole world?
But that didn't work out. So He had to do it another way. And this verse has no proof that the mystery was a plan, for all time, before God created the Earth.
He knew the possibility that they may eat of the fruit, so He had to have a plan. And He had to have a backup plan, as well.
If God knew and had the Body planned before he'd laid the "foundation of the earth," doesn't that mean He knew Adam and Eve were going to sin?

I never said God changed. But His mind does change, and that is what I have presented. His character remains the same.
God does not change His mind, it just seems like that to man. What really happens is man repents/changes mind, making it so God does not have to bring forth judgement.

Alright, I don't. That may very well happen. However, God, knowing men's hearts, knows that this is improbable. Yet, it is not impossible. But something very big would have to happen to set it in motion. However, God, wanting to bring forth what He told John He would do, can very well...and has...blinded Israel, and they cannot see the truth. There are some who may, even some who have, but as a whole, not gonna happen.
The part I put in bold is surprising coming from an OV'er. I thought the OV view of God was trying to draw all men to Him, not blinding some. :confused:

Christine

Originally posted by deardelmar

But before the first sin of man were people created with a sin nature? If so why?
No, I don't believe so. Never the less, God knew they'd sin, as He knows all things.

1 John 3:20 "For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things".