Open Theism Stirs Controversy on College Campuses

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by logos_x

It was plan A. There is no plan B.
Then why was it a secret? Why was it a mystery? Wasn't plan A to bring salvation through the Jews, professing Christ, to the rest of the world? And when that failed, because Israel rejected Jesus as The Messiah, God called Paul to be the apostle to the Gentiles.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by godrulz

An omniscient God is aware of all sin or He could not judge it. Man and demons would know something that God does not know. He does not have to focus His attention on the sinning, but He must be aware of it if He is omnipresent/omniscient. Past and present sin is an object of knowledge. The future is not yet, so it is not a possible object of knowledge.
I agree with you that God does not know the specific acts anyone will commit in the future. But He does know our nature, and He knows the possibilities, and the probabilities. So He knows that we will not always act the way we should. So the acts themselves, in past and present, are known to God, except that He chooses to not know them in the case of those who are in Him, and the acts that have not happened are not known to Him, but He knows misdeeds will be committed. And that is a possible object of knowledge. and it is for this truth, that the blood of Christ is for all sin, even that which is to come.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Christine

You must believe that verse six means that God genuinely was sorry and regreted that He ever made man. It doesn't mean that at all. The phrase "was sorry" is a figure of speech that's ascribing to God characteristics that belong to men or other creatures, just like the passages that say God has limbs. God did not regret that He made man. Just because God was grieved does not mean he didn't know man was going to act like this. It's like a parent-child relationship. A parent is grieved when his child sins, but the parent is not surprised because the parent knew the child was born with a sin nature. So God knew that man had a sin nature and would turn from Him.
Do you believe that God knew Adam and Eve were going to eat of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil? Did God know the fall was going to happen? Did He predestine it?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

I don't remember the flood coming up in our discussion. I'm assuming you're referring to the verses Delmar quoted to me. If that's so, then you can read my response to Delmar.
I brought up His repentance that He had made man.

From studying scripture with the aid of E.W. Bullinger's study aids. Nothing in scripture just happens to occur. Everything in scripture has a purpose, including the numbers. God didn't just randomly choose the number 40 in His words to Nineveh, the number had a purpose. Here is more info on the topic.
I know that numbers have meaning, in prophecy.

How could God for certain prevent it from happening?
You're pretty good at asking stupid questions. God is God. He is omnipotent. How do you think He could prevent it? God can do whatever He wants.

If David had instead died on this "pretty close" instance, would God have had to turn to His "Plan B?"
Who said God even had a plan A that involved David? In fact, if God's original plan had gone through, then there wouldn't have been a king. And, even though there was, if Saul had not been so wicked, then Jonathan may have lived, and would have become king, instead of David. David being king was not the original plan. It wasn't even plan B.

God knows time exhaustively, Lighthouse. Verses like Eph 1:4 (quoted in next section) further prove that.
Time is not real. Only the past and present exist. The past has happened, and the present is happening. The future is neither.

According to the following passages, the Dispensation of Grace was always part of "Plan A."

Romans 16:25 " Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began"

The "mystery" is the "Dispensation of Grace," Lighthouse.
And that verse is why I call it plan B. God had it, just in case the original plan didn't work. And it didn't. Israel rejected Jesus as Messiah, and Paul was called to preach the mystery.

Ephesians 1:4 "According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love"

The "us" is the Body members of the current dispensation. God knew, before he'd even created the world that there would be a dispensation of Grace.
No. The "us" is everyone. That was God's original plan, and intention, that all would be holy and blameless...
But that didn't work out. So He had to do it another way. And this verse has no proof that the mystery was a plan, for all time, before God created the Earth.

:nono: God had the Dispensation of Grace in mind before Adam and Eve had committed the first sin.
He knew the possibility that they may eat of the fruit, so He had to have a plan. And He had to have a backup plan, as well.

If that had been a prophecy, then God would have changed, which would have been in direct contradiction of scripture.

Malachi 3:6 " For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
I never said God changed. But His mind does change, and that is what I have presented. His character remains the same.

How do you know that Israel, as a whole won't turn to Christ, forcing God to "change his mind?" How do you know God's word is to be taken seriously, if, according to you, God has repeatedly changed His mind in the past?
Alright, I don't. That may very well happen. However, God, knowing men's hearts, knows that this is improbable. Yet, it is not impossible. But something very big would have to happen to set it in motion. However, God, wanting to bring forth what He told John He would do, can very well...and has...blinded Israel, and they cannot see the truth. There are some who may, even some who have, but as a whole, not gonna happen.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

I understand how that could be the case.
I also understand that this is not proof of an Open Future.
I don't think this surprised God at all. I think God knew that this would happen...and I think He knows everything.
I think God is outside of "time".
I believe that God is God even in the future. He holds the future.
I am a believer that God will be all in all in the end. I believe in universal reconciliation. And I believe this happens through our "free will".
I believe that God is in control.
I don't believe in Open Theism...nor do I believe in Calvinism.
God knew that it could happen, but not that it would happen. God is not outside of time, because time is not a thing. It is a concept, and concepts aren't real. Time does not exist. Not our human concept of it, anyway. God is eternal, which means He exists in eternity, which is constantly passing, but not all occuring at the same time. Once something has happened, that same instance cannot happen again. To beleive that all time occurs simultaneously, anywhere, is to believe that it reoccurs and reoccurs and reoccurs, and so on and so forth. This is simply not true. God knows what has happened, what is happening, and what could happen, but not what will happen. And God can not see that whichi is either gone, or has not yet happened. God can not see the past, except in His mind's eye, and He can not see the future, at all. God is God, and that will not change. So He will be God, in the future, but He is not currently in the future.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Knight

Side note.... logos_x you do realize that you limit God to a God that only brings people to heaven and not hell right?????

I just want to point out how almost any version of God that anyone can imagine has limitations it's somewhat unavoidable.
logos_x does believe that people will go to hell. he even believes that peopel will go into the lake of fire. He just believes that they will come out of it, changed, and enter heaven...as new creations.:doh::nono:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Of course!
But...how is saying that God knows the future a violation of those kinds of limits?
knowing the future? It's not. Even I believe that God knows certain aspects of the future.

And...what I meant was...we should not limit God's ability to factor in all possibilities even before He started creating the universe...
Open Theism says exactly that.

and making things in such a way that He can be confident that, come what may...in the end it will turn out good, for everyone involved.
We even believe that. Just not the way you do.

That means making it so He can correct the situation...even though He's dealing with "free will".
Which He did, by sending His Son.

Even men can now figure things out reasonably using chaos theory.
Precisely!

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Probably not.

Actually, I don't believe it's a "whether they like it or not thing!"
Though..the corrective process probably won't be too pleasant...in fact quite painful, it burns away the dross of their hearts.
They change...so their wants are different, because there is nothing holding them in bondage to sin any more.
the only thing that can change mankind's wants and desires is the grace of God. And that is God Himself making such changes.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lighthouse

I agree with you that God does not know the specific acts anyone will commit in the future. But He does know our nature, and He knows the possibilities, and the probabilities. So He knows that we will not always act the way we should. So the acts themselves, in past and present, are known to God, except that He chooses to not know them in the case of those who are in Him, and the acts that have not happened are not known to Him, but He knows misdeeds will be committed. And that is a possible object of knowledge. and it is for this truth, that the blood of Christ is for all sin, even that which is to come.

When God says that He will remember our sins no more or 'forget them', it does not mean they are not an object of knowledge. Forgetting is the same as chosing to not bring them up again or hold them against us because of the blood. We say 'forget it' in reference to someone paying us money back. We release them, but it does not literally mean we cannot recall the amount owed.

e.g. Let's say God forgives us for past sin such as murder before we were a Christian. I became a Christian in jail. The legal system, the victim's family, myself, Satan, the media and the masses all know about my sin. If God 'forgot' about my sin, He would be reminded about it in various ways and various times. Every time I felt remorse during my prison term, God would once again recall the act (He knows the past and present perfectly, including my thoughts). It would be the same for wrong thoughts, motives, acts (sins) as a Christian. He forgives and forgets (cf. spouse who does not bring up our old offenses against them...remembers them, but does not hold it against us), but if we recall them, logically God would know it too. Omniscience and omnipresence preclude God from having a blank memory any more than we do unless we have a severe brain injury.

So, forgiveness is a relaxation of the penalty of the law based on a substituted penalty and repentant, renewed obedience (God saves us from our sins, not to continue in them). It is not an erasure of God's memory or ours. If He erased His memory (illogical), we would know more than God. If He erased our memory, we might persist in the sin thinking it is not an issue.

Christine

Originally posted by deardelmar

Christine
I am still waiting for evidence that when God said "I was sorry I created man " it was a figure of speech. I do, as a matter of fact, believe that every time that God ever destroyed the wicked he was deeply and profoundly grieved and that he was indeed sorry that, at least, those people had ever been created!
Don't worry Delmar, I haven't forgotten you, I just have other responsibilities away from computer. I'll be posting my reply to your post later today. :)

Christine

Please demonstate how you know this is a figure of speech as opposed to God saying what he meant.
Does God really have a heart Delmar? God uses the same figure of speech in 1 Sam 13:14 when He says " the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart." God was using "heart" in 1 Samuel as a figure of speech to show what kind of man He wanted. God doesn't have arms or bones, and God doesn't have a heart. It's a figure of speech.

Why is it not possible the Bible refering to God as all knowing is a figure of speech meaning God knows all that is knowable?
You're assuming the present and past is all that is knowable, not the future as well.

Oh by the way parents are quite often surprised by the sins of there children! I understand that your world view would dictate that God would neither be suprised by the behaviour of man, or be able to change his mind. Hey wait a minute if God is unable to change his mind would he really be all powerfull?
Delmar, parents may be surprised by certain sins that their children commit, but the parent knew all along that the child would sin. The parent knows there child has a sin nature, and will eventually commit a sin.

SOTK

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

This is a long overdure response to SOTK's post #82...

Manipulating in the sense of influencing not controlling; we are not puppets on a string. God is able to influence His friends and manipulate His enemies in many of the same ways you do your own and then some. God knows everyone better than they know themselves. He knows every detail of whatever circumstance He is looking at that can be known and is therefore able to act on the available information in order to work things out the way He wants for them to work out.

Take Pharaoh for example, it is not necessary to believe that God overcame his free will in order to get him to let the Israelites go. In fact, we have all the reason in the world to say that He did not.

First of all, the whole story wouldn't make sense had God been controlling Pharaoh. What would have been the point of 10 plagues that were according to the text designed to convince Pharaoh to let them go? Why not simply force him to say "Yeah, okay. Here, take all our gold with you as you go!" and then that would have been the end of it. Instead, God performed undeniable miracle after undeniable miracle. Why? The reason why is because God knew Pharaoh's heart, that it was wicked. God knew him well enough to know that if He performed miracles that made pharaoh look foolish and weak that he would respond with more and more hatred toward God and toward Moses and his people. Thus, in a manner of speaking, God did indeed harden pharaoh's heart in that He was the one who was intentionally shoving the truth in Pharaoh's face by performing miracle after miracle. But the point is, that PHAROAH COULD HAVE REPENTED! Had he done so, his son would not have been killed and God's people would still have won their freedom. God would have won and would have had opportunity to show His mercy rather than His judgment, which is precisely what He would have done.

Now, you might think that this is a radical interpretation of what happened in Exodus, but the important thing to keep in mind is not how common a teaching it is but whether or not it conforms to the Biblical record. There is nothing in the text that contradicts this interpretation, nothing at all and yet this story is one of Calvinism's most favored proof texts! The simple fact is, they read their theology into the text, nothing in the Exodus account requires of belief that God took over Pharaoh's ability to choose for himself what he would do. If this were not so, then God's punishment of him would have been unjust, which is the primary point!

God is a loving God who is both merciful and just. If our theology serves to undermine such major and undeniable attributes of God's character then we can know that our theology is in error. God created us so that He might love us and that we might love Him. Our loving Him is absolutely contingent upon our ability to choose for ourselves. If we only "love" because we have been predestined to do so, then that isn't love at all! It might look like love to someone who doesn't know that such actions have been preprogrammed but God would certainly know and He's the only one that matters since He is the object of such so called "love". Thus the doctrine of predestination cuts at the very heart of the meaning of our very existence.

God's mercy and justice are undermined, indeed made meaningless, in the same way. If we cannot choose then it is impossible to assign any moral implications to our actions. We are simply doing that which we have been preprogrammed to do. A rape would have no more moral implication than a toaster browning a piece of bread. This being the case, for God to punish or reward any such act would be fundamentally unjust. We can know for a fact and be absolutely certain that we do have a freewill because the goodness and justice of God are undeniable presuppositions of the Christian faith. To deny one is to deny both.

What you are talking about then is not logic, it's information and perhaps intelligence. God definitely has access to far more information than do we and of course He is vastly more intelligent than we are. Those are givens and are not in dispute.
To avoid confusion I would, if I were you, find a different term to use rather than logic. Otherwise, you run the risk of saying that God is irrational without intending to do so.

That's because the two are logical contradictions, they are mutually exclusive.

Impossible! You are literally trying to have your cake and eat it too. That is just not an option, you can either eat the cake or you can keep it for another day, you cannot do both at the same time. If your actions are predetermined then they are not free, period. Freedom is the ability to do or to do otherwise. If your actions are foreknown or predetermined either one then you cannot do otherwise and are therefore not free.

This sort of made me chuckle.
You've mixed Arminianism (foreknowledge), Calvinism(predeterminism), and Open Theism(free will) all together here.
You're a "Calminian Open Theist"! :chuckle:

Well if predeterminism is true then your actions, the fact that they make sense to you, your leanings, etc were all predetermined as well. In fact, if predestination is true then I was predestined to believe in free will! How much sense does that make?

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S. Sorry it took so long to respond, I've been pretty busy lately.
God bless!

Hi Clete!

Thanks for your response and the PM! Like you, I have been busy. I won't be able to give my full attention to your response right now so I don't want to say too much. Between work, my wife, three kids, and chores, it's been difficult staying up with all this stuff at TOL. :) I plan on giving you a full response soon.

I wanted to at least comment on this:

This sort of made me chuckle.
You've mixed Arminianism (foreknowledge), Calvinism(predeterminism), and Open Theism(free will) all together here.
You're a "Calminian Open Theist"! :chuckle:

I chuckled that you chuckled! :D As I wrote what you commented on, I too realized that my thinking is a mixture of Arminianism, Calvinism, and Open Theism. I've got a lot of thoughts running through my head about all of this. This is why I find this discussion so good for me. I tend to understand things by process and by thinking out loud. Some of what I'm thinking and processing on makes sense to me and some of it doesn't so hang in there with me. :)

I'll get back with you soon!

In Christ,

SOTK

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
quote:

Please demonstate how you know this is a figure of speech as opposed to God saying what he meant.

Does God really have a heart Delmar? God uses the same figure of speech in 1 Sam 13:14 when He says " the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart." God was using "heart" in 1 Samuel as a figure of speech to show what kind of man He wanted. God doesn't have arms or bones, and God doesn't have a heart. It's a figure of speech.
You are running a bait and switch on me Christine.There are, of coarse figures of speach in the Bible and I never implyed that there are not ! I asked you defend your claim that the particular statement that "God was sorry he created man" was a figure of speech!

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

You're assuming the present and past is all that is knowable, not the future as well.
Just as you are assuming the opposite

Last edited:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Delmar, parents may be surprised by certain sins that their children commit, but the parent knew all along that the child would sin. The parent knows there child has a sin nature, and will eventually commit a sin.
But before the first sin of man were people created with a sin nature? If so why?

Christine

You are running a bait and switch on me Christine.
I'm not doing anything of the sort.
There are, of coarse figures of speach in the Bible and I never implyed that there are not !
I never said that you implied that there aren't figures of speech in the Bible. I was writing with the impression that you did not believe that Gen 6:6 had a figure of speech in it.

I asked you defend your claim that the particular statement that "God was sorry he created man" was a figure of speech!

The phrase in question is in the same verse has the heart. God knew before the world was created that man would turn from him. Knowing this, God still proceeded with creating man.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I'm not doing anything of the sort.

I never said that you implied that there aren't figures of speech in the Bible. I was writing with the impression that you did not believe that Gen 6:6 had a figure of speech in it.

The phrase in question is in the same verse has the heart. God knew before the world was created that man would turn from him. Knowing this, God still proceeded with creating man.
I'll give you that "the Heart of God is a figure of speech one that neither of us is confused about the meaning of. How does that show that "god was sorry he created man" is a figure of speach? It feels to me as though you are not even tring to answer a simple question!

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

. God knew before the world was created that man would turn from him. Knowing this, God still proceeded with creating man.
you haven't shown that!

Christine

I'll give you that "the Heart of God is a figure of speech one that neither of us is confused about the meaning of. How does that show that "god was sorry he created man" is a figure of speach? It feels to me as though you are not even tring to answer a simple question!
Delmar,
After I had gotten off the computer from making my previous post to you, I realized I'd forgotten something important. :doh: Saying that God "was sorry" or "repented" is a figure of speech because these are human attributes similiar to saying God has a heart. Man repents, man becomes sorry. God is not sorry for things he does, God has nothing to be repentent of.