Once saved NOT necessarily always saved.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"Pastors these days devote their energy to explaining away the Bible, instead of explaining the Bible. No wonder folks are so confused. They are so used to church service after church service being told by the pastor that when the Bible says X it actually means B."
I don't agree with my pastor on all things but I do appreciate that he calls a spade a spade (1 Pe 4:3).

"...[M]embers have lost all confidence in understanding the Bible for themselves, since it never seems to mean what it literally says."
To them (Lk 8:10) not to us (Mt 16:17).

See:

Hermeneutics

RBBI

There's no such thing as once saved always saved. For one thing, the word salvation means deliverance and we are told to work out our own salvation/deliverance with fear and trembling. We are born as babes in the manger (bread basket) to begin with, and with consuming the Word (bread/letter) by the light of the candlestick (Spirit/new wine) we have true communion with Him, being matured and transformed by the renewing of our minds.

It's not a one time does it all experience, it's a PROCESS. Peace

False Prophet

23 “The kingdom of heaven is like a king who decided to collect the money his servants owed him. 24 When the king began to collect his money, a servant who owed him several million dollars was brought to him. 25 But the servant did not have enough money to pay his master, the king. So the master ordered that everything the servant owned should be sold, even the servant’s wife and children. Then the money would be used to pay the king what the servant owed.

26 “But the servant fell on his knees and begged, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay you everything I owe.’ 27 The master felt sorry for his servant and told him he did not have to pay it back. Then he let the servant go free.

28 “Later, that same servant found another servant who owed him a few dollars. The servant grabbed him around the neck and said, ‘Pay me the money you owe me!’

29 “The other servant fell on his knees and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay you everything I owe.’

30 “But the first servant refused to be patient. He threw the other servant into prison until he could pay everything he owed. 31 When the other servants saw what had happened, they were very sorry. So they went and told their master all that had happened.

32 “Then the master called his servant in and said, ‘You evil servant! Because you begged me to forget what you owed, I told you that you did not have to pay anything. 33 You should have showed mercy to that other servant, just as I showed mercy to you.’ 34 The master was very angry and put the servant in prison to be punished until he could pay everything he owed. Matt 18
The master is Jesus Christ. God forgave us such a debt that we could not possibly pay back. Should we not forgive our fellow man for much less of what they done to us. The servant went out and put his fellow man into prison for not paying him back his debt, so Jesus did to the servant. Does this tell us that we are saved once and always by a prayer?
It seems that the sophists around here might be wrong about some things. Just because the sophists gang up on those that oppose their teachings, does it make these teachings correct?
35 “This king did what my heavenly Father will do to you if you do not forgive your brother or sister from your heart.” NCV
This sounds like a promise, and it is. If you do not forgive your brother who sins against you, then neither will your father in heaven forgive you!

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There's no such thing as once saved always saved. For one thing, the word salvation means deliverance and we are told to work out our own salvation/deliverance with fear and trembling. We are born as babes in the manger (bread basket) to begin with, and with consuming the Word (bread/letter) by the light of the candlestick (Spirit/new wine) we have true communion with Him, being matured and transformed by the renewing of our minds.

There is too much evidence for Eternal Security to not believe. Who can take your salvation away from you. Who is stronger than the God who sealed you?

Ben Masada

1 - Please explain what you mean by "keeping oneself saved".Saved from what? Saved for what? Is "saved" a word you ever normally use in a spiritual sense?

2 - What do you understand by this..Is 45:17 But Israel shall be saved in the Lord with an everlasting salvation: ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end.

1 - Saved from all kinds of troubles in life. That's it. If you keep the laws, you are saved from all kinds of trouble. There are three kinds of laws. The Law of Yahweh; the law of the land; and the law of cause & effect.

2 - Since every thing is conditional, also the promises of Yahweh are conditional on the obedience of His laws. Now, if you read Jeremiah 31:35-37, as long as Israel remain as a People before the Lord "forever," the People would be saved from all kinds of troubles. But many times, Israel would turn away from the Lord and would not repent. Hence the exiles for a definite time. When the time was over, Israel would be back to the Lord and restored to their previous condition of Jer. 31:35-37. Only Ephraim aka the Ten Tribes never returned; except for about 10% that escaped Assyria and joined Judah in the South. But Judah, the new Israel was confirmed to remain as God's People before the Lord "forever." (Psa. 78:67-70)

RBBI

There is too much evidence for Eternal Security to not believe. Who can take your salvation away from you. Who is stronger than the God who sealed you?

Thanks for your point. I can see I didn't say enough. We are saved in a process, spirit, soul and finally body. The spirit is saved regardless, it goes back to the One that sent it. So in that sense it's true.

My point is, there is more to it, than that initial salvation of the spirit experience. Many have that experience, think that's all they have to do and sit on a church pew waiting to go to heaven for the next 40 years and there is no spiritual growth. Peace

Wick Stick

heir said:
Wick Stick said:
The good news about my eventual salvation is that "He which hath begun a good work in me will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ." That is to say, He will see that work completed. It is guaranteed - literally.
"eventual salvation" sounds like "initial justification"
Way to take what I said, discard it, and substitute something else entirely in its place. But really, why reason with anybody when you can simply stuff them into one of a few predefined categories and dismiss them as part of "all that!"

heir said:
Wick Stick said:
There is no need for uncertainty, because He has given an earnest on salvation, as also it says in the verse that follows the one you reference (Ephesians 1:14). Click here for the definition of an earnest. The definition is probably necessary in order to understand the verses.

Now, why would God pledge an earnest on salvation if the full inheritance is already given, and men are already saved (past tense) in this dispensation? Earnests pertain to future transactions; not past ones.

In this case, the transaction is a purchase - God is purchasing me. As the buyer, once God has pledged the earnest, it is His guarantee that He will complete the transaction, and He cannot take it back.

Yet there remains the possibility that the seller (me) can cancel the transaction. The agreement is not so fragile that it might be canceled if I say a few unkind words or fail to do all the "good works" that have been laid out for me. The only singular way that I can cancel the transaction, is if I purposefully cancel the transaction by returning the earnest which God has pledged.

Coming back to Ephesians 1:13 (where you started us), we can see that the earnest God has pledged is His own Holy Spirit. Can such even be returned? Yes it can, and to do so is called Biblically, "the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit" or "grieving the Spirit."

Jarrod
The seal with the Holy Spirit is a guaranteed done deal just like our salvation! It cannot be broken. We cannot be unsealed anymore than we can be uncrucified, uburied, unrisen (Galatians 2:20 KJV, Colossians 2:11-13 KJV) or unseated (Ephesians 2:6 KJV). The seal is a guarantee of that which was already purchased. We were bought with a price (1 Corinthians 7:23 KJV) not rented (TH) and are awaiting pick up (Galatians 1:3-5 KJV, 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 KJV, Philippians 3:18-21 KJV, Titus 2:13 KJV). The guarantee is good til then! PTL!

Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Ephesians 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
It seems you're not trolling on purpose. You just don't understand very much, and, if we're honest, don't want to understand very much. Keep it simple, amirite?

Well, since you are one of those who simply re-states what you believe in response to anything and everything, rather than actually dialoguing, I believe I'll leave off talking at you.

Buh-bye!

Ben Masada

Well RBBI, I agree with you as long as you had in mind personal salvation when you wrote this post. Universal salvation is something else; you don't have to work for it. It's free.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Salvation is not free. It cost God his one and only son. Hint: There is no such thing as universal salvation

iouae

1 - The Law per se saves no one. One is saved through the obedience of the Law. That's why it was given by Yahweh on the Sinai Mount.

2 - Too easy my friend. Personal salvation does not come that ease. The universal salvation does, as long as there is a Minyan of ten Jews on earth, but not personal salvation. You have to work to get it.

3 - Jesus also believed the same. Hence, in his parable about the Richman and Lazarus, he implied that the only way to escape hell-fire was to listen to "Moses" aka the Law. (Luke 16:29-31)

4 - For that, I pay homage to Paul because, indeed, blood sacrifices never had that purpose in Israel. Prophet Jeremiah was so well-aware of it that he said, Yahweh never commanded that animal sacrifices be part of the religion of Israel. (Jer. 7:22)

5 - They were totally mistaken because even babies die without having ever committed a single sin. One dies, not because of his sins but because he was born. Death is as natural as birth.

6 - Two points here. Paul never went to the Gentiles. One or two here and there would not classify him as an apostle of the Gentiles. The other point is that the Christians he claimed to fish from the synagogues of the Jews were not Christians but Nazarenes who had converted from the Gentiles by the apostles, especially Peter. (Acts 15:7)

7 - Sorry but I don't know what you are talking about with that last paragraph.

1) Good. You agree with Jesus that the Law should be kept. "I have not come to destroy the law but to fulfil it"

2) You should not rule out believing in the greatest Jew who ever lived.

3) Keeping the law = good. To the exclusion of need for Messiah = bad.

4) Good. God, you and I all agree animal sacrifices = bad.

5) I was wrong, you correct. I forgot that "the wages of sin is death" is a NT concept.

6) Paul was schooled by Gamaliel and was far more attuned to Jewish thinking than Gentile. But he could reconcile the two together - a huge feat. He brought OT-lite to the Gentiles as well as belief in Christ.

7) By "7" I mean that if one wants an example of how God wants all men to live, copy Christ. He epitomises all OT and NT law keeping.

iouae

Your answer is simple but very clear. Arguing that "those who fall away from the faith in tribulation" were never reallyIN the faith is like saying this seed was never planted, or, if it was, that it never germinated (brought forth life). In fact, though, it did on both counts, otherwise the living plant that sprang from the seed could not have "withered" and died. A mere seed cannot wither and die. A non-existent plant cannot wither and die either.

Peter, repeating the teaching of the seed he had heard from Jesus said:

23 since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God (1 Peter 1:23)

He also quotes a Messianic scripture saying:

24 for

All flesh is like grass
and all its glory like the flower of grass.
The grass withers,
and the flower falls,

25 but the word of the Lord remains forever.

And this word is the good news (or Gospel) that was preached to you.
(1 Peter 1:24-25)

The Word of the Lord is the same as the Gospel or "good news." Despite what MAD doctrine says about Jesus gospel being obsolete (i.e., for a different people in a different dispensation) Peter says The Gospel "continues," "remains," or "abides," "stands" forever. These words are all synonyms for the same Greek word). "Forever" is longer than any single dispensation. This verse means that the Gospel Jesus taught stands today.

Though the power of the Gospel to save continues forever not everyone who is born again by it continues in the Life. This is the clear meaning of Jesus parable. To misunderstand this is to misunderstand what eternal life is. John explains the meaning of "eternal life" in his letter, which, I remind those who believe in MAD was written to Gentile believers in Asia Minor at time when the Jews were only a minority in the Church.

Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. IF that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.
(1 John 2:24)

And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life (1 John 2:25)

As we continue to "LET" His word abide, remain, continue, in us we have His eternal life. Life is in Him. We continue to enjoy it as we continue to abide in Him. The promise of eternal life as it is revealed here is not an static thing we receive and thereafter possess unconditionally. It is living and organic and life. Because it is we can, through falling into a lifestyle of sin or through denying the Truth, become detached from the Vine and die.

Beautifully put! Great summary.

I cannot work out what MAD is an acronym for though.

iouae

You must be kidding. Churches are full of people who believe works play a part in their salvation! Take a poll here. You'd be shocked!

Almost all Christians I have ever met believe in doing good works. We might be a bit lazy about it, but we believe in it.

I personally have never met a Christian who SAYS he can save himself by working hard enough, though I have met some who ACT that way.

I don't consider "playing a part" the same thing as salvation by works. Of course we play a part. Only folks like Beloved57 believe in being saved automatically and unconditionally.

Anyone out there believe in salvation by works?

Ben Masada

1) Good. You agree with Jesus that the Law should be kept. "I have not come to destroy the law but to fulfil it"
2) You should not rule out believing in the greatest Jew who ever lived.
3) Keeping the law = good. To the exclusion of need for Messiah = bad.
4) Good. God, you and I all agree animal sacrifices = bad.
5) I was wrong, you correct. I forgot that "the wages of sin is death" is a NT concept.
6) Paul was schooled by Gamaliel and was far more attuned to Jewish thinking than Gentile. But he could reconcile the two together - a huge feat. He brought OT-lite to the Gentiles as well as belief in Christ.
7) By "7" I mean that if one wants an example of how God wants all men to live, copy Christ. He epitomises all OT and NT law keeping.

1 - ...and to make sure we all did the same if you read all the 3 verses of Mat. 5:17-19. It means that "fulfilled" becomes a synonym with "confirmed."

2 - The greatest Jew who ever lived was Moses if you read Numbers 12:6,7. Even Jesus himself implied in his parable of the Richman and Lazarus that, to escape hell-fire, we must listen to "Moses" aka the Law. (Luke 16:29-31)

3 - "Bad" in the case of an individual Messiah because the individual is born, lives his span of life and dies. Are we to expect a new Messiah in every generation? Obviously not. The Messiah is not supposed to die physically but to remain as a People before the Lord forever. (Jer. 31:35-37)

4 - True. All the three of us are in tune as sacrifices are concerned.

5 - Good! That's the second time we are playing in the same tune.

6 - Since Paul has lied before, I can't believe he was schooled by Gamaliel. And he did not serve as light to the Gentiles for his whole life was among the Jews since his first station in Damascus and until his last in Rome. (Acts 9:1,2 and 28:17)

7 - Only not the "Christ" of Paul but the Yeshua ben Yoseph of Nazareth. "Christ" was not part of the name of Yeshua but a title attributed to him by Paul. (II Tim. 2:8) Hence, everywhere he preached his gospel, people would be called Christians. (Acts 11:26)

glorydaz

That is the same mistake the Jews made. The law was made to show men what sin is....to declare the whole world guilty. It was never intended to make men righteous by all their attempts to keep it. It was never intended to justify man before our Holy God. And it was never intended to give men life. If you preach that it should be kept for any of those things then you are using it unlawfully. It's why "law keepers" will always fail.

1 Tim. 1:7-10
Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm. But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully; Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;​