Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecumenicist

For those who reject Christianity as a "hate religion."

I know its hard to believe, but it is possible to be a loving
Christian.

Christ's words support this, even though the wolves would
have you believe otherwise.

"God is Love" is no lie. "God is Love" is truth.

God's love is revealed through Jesus Christ.

Sozo

Originally posted by Dave Miller

Your hero exposes your heart, wolf.
My avatar is a fictional character, of which I chose because many of us are exposing the wicked people in this world.

You are not fictional, and yet you are the one that promotes the killing of babies!

YOU are the evil one, Dave Miller!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Balder

I think the best thing to do is to put "On Fire" on ignore, until he decides to stop his shameful and un-Christ-like behavior.

This is the first time I've put anyone on ignore here. But it's time.

Peace,
B.
Or... all of you flaming limp wristed liberals could find a new web forum to spew your left wing propaganda.

BChristianK

Originally posted by granite1010

"Funny that you posted this in a 'No longer a Christian' thread. It was caustic attitudes such as yours that initially prompted the loss of my own faith, spurring me to leave the Church."
Not really, if your faith was so fragile that it could not take the "caustic attitudes" then your loss of your own faith is due to its own fragility.

You have numerous posts in this thread that testify to the fragility of your own faith. Your indecisiveness about the unique claims of Christianity compared to other world religions. Your doubt in the resurrection. Did those come from the "caustic attitudes" of others or from your own heart?

Bottom line, if you need someone to blame for your departure from Christianity, you need a mirror. It's pretty common for those who have rejected Christianity to blame someone else for their choice (as if they had nothing to do with the matter) but the reality is there are thousands upon thousands experience the sharp end of a biting tongue by those who maintain a caustic personality. Many of these folks keep their eyes on Christ and keep going...

I don't mean to demean your experiences, your separation from your wife and your church experience are not at all indicative of other's treating you in a Christlike manner. But when it comes down to it, you choose how you will respond, and you will be held accountable for those responses. Same with me, same with all of us.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BChristianK

Not really, if your faith was so fragile that it could not take the "caustic attitudes" then your loss of your own faith is due to its own fragility.

You have numerous posts in this thread that testify to the fragility of your own faith. Your indecisiveness about the unique claims of Christianity compared to other world religions. Your doubt in the resurrection. Did those come from the "caustic attitudes" of others or from your own heart?

Bottom line, if you need someone to blame for your departure from Christianity, you need a mirror. It's pretty common for those who have rejected Christianity to blame someone else for their choice (as if they had nothing to do with the matter) but the reality is there are thousands upon thousands experience the sharp end of a biting tongue by those who maintain a caustic personality. Many of these folks keep their eyes on Christ and keep going...

I don't mean to demean your experiences, your separation from your wife and your church experience are not at all indicative of other's treating you in a Christlike manner. But when it comes down to it, you choose how you will respond, and you will be held accountable for those responses. Same with me, same with all of us.

For one thing I was agreeing with this statement, but don't attribute it to me. Somebody else's words.

"Caustic attitudes" didn't cause me to leave the faith. It was an accumulation of things. Christians, quite honestly, do not know what they're talking about when it comes to this subject. A lot of them simply can't imagine what it's like to leave the church (or to feel as though the faith has left you).

Lemme just spell it out so there's no confusion. My faith isn't fragile. I know exactly what I believe. I don't think Christianity is unique; I don't think I've waffled about that on this thread. I doubt the resurrection completely and question the historicity of Jesus. So, I don't think these are "fragile" opinions. They're pretty straightforward. Hope that clarifies things.

I left the church. Period. I've never blamed anyone else for that; there were mitigating factors, but aren't there always? I'm not trying to pass the buck here. And the implication that I am is self righteous, patronizing, and downright insulting. Unfortunately that's the response I've gotten used to coming from fundies and everybody else who's wrapped up in being one of the special chosen. It was my choice and it was a very difficult one, and I'm still working through it. You wanna deliver another smarmy sermon, do it to somebody else.

BChristianK

For one thing I was agreeing with this statement, but don't attribute it to me. Somebody else's words.
Ok. But doesn’t your agreement telegraph your endorsement of that opinion?
"Caustic attitudes" didn't cause me to leave the faith. It was an accumulation of things. Christians, quite honestly, do not know what they're talking about when it comes to this subject.
And apparently you think you have found some folks who do and listened to them. They turned you from abiding in the faith of your youth to doubting the resurrection and questioning the historicity of Jesus, now how is that not an indication that your Christian faith was fragile? Here's a hint, a person who has truly done their homework and determined that Christianity is bunk would have no problem in admitting that their faith (in what they now think is bunk) was fragile. Now I happen to disagree with you totally on the historicity of Jesus and the reliability of the resurrection narratives, but I've got no problems whatsoever saying that my previous adherence to atheism was fragile. It was, it was a fragile believe based on fragile principles and all it took was the truth to blow down the house of cards.
A lot of them simply can't imagine what it's like to leave the church (or to feel as though the faith has left you).
A lot of them don't have to imagine it, they have gone through what you have gone through and worse. I’ve known many people who have left the traditions of their mothers and fathers and have found that they needed to get out form underneath the umbrella of their parents faith in order to find their own. Their faith was established, not destroyed.
Lemme just spell it out so there's no confusion.
Ok.
My faith isn't fragile.
So you had a rock solid faith but it just leaked out of you like a runny toilet? Somethin' doesn't add up. Either you now believe that what you believed before was untrue. In which case it makes no sense for you to defend the solidity of your Christian faith since you have now come to renounce it, your current opinion would just point out that you were all the more stupid before.
I know exactly what I believe. I don't think Christianity is unique; I don't think I've waffled about that on this thread.
No, you haven't. Your faith was fragile such that it could not withstand the near baseless claims that Christianity is nothing more than a reconstitution of other religions and that the historicity of the resurrection is questionable. Now you have a very firm skeptical position that is wrong and illogical.
I doubt the resurrection completely...
An indication that your faith was fragile..
and question the historicity of Jesus.
Another clear indication that your faith was fragile.
So, I don't think these are "fragile" opinions. They're pretty straightforward. Hope that clarifies things.
So you have come from being an unconvinced Christian to a skeptic. What about that testifies to your ever being a faithful Christian?
I left the church. Period. I've never blamed anyone else for that; there were mitigating factors, but aren't there always?
As long as you take responsibility.
I'm not trying to pass the buck here.
Ok, good.
And the implication that I am is self righteous, patronizing, and downright insulting. Unfortunately that's the response I've gotten used to coming from fundies and everybody else who's wrapped up in being one of the special chosen.
Then feel patronized and insulted by the self righteous person who suggested that it was the “caustic attitudes� that facilitated your exodus. It was your choice, you admit it was your choice. Now deal with your own hypocritical insults claiming that I am "wrapped up in being one of the special chosen." Whatever that is supposed to mean.
It was my choice and it was a very difficult one, and I'm still working through it.
It was, and still is, your choice, and you will be held accountable for that choice.
You wanna deliver another smarmy sermon, do it to somebody else.
You don't wanna hear another smarmy sermon, don’t read my posts. This is a bulletin board, you may have realized by now that bulletin boards are designed to invoke discussion. If you don't want to hear my opinion about your apostasy, then don't post it. Furthermore, you and I post on at the discretion of the owner (Knight). If he gets tired of my smarmy sermons, he can ban me. You can even send him a private message to request it. But as long as Knight is willing to let me post smarmy sermons (as you have insultingly characterized my post) they'll keep comin'. BTW, you get to accuse fundi’s of being self-righteous, patronizing and insulting only to the extent that Knight lets you. When he gets tired of it, he’ll ban you. Furthermore, if you don't like hearing my opinion, you have a couple of options you can exercise. 1. Put me on ignore. 2. Don't announce your apostasy on bulletin boards, for in doing so you invite critical discussion about the issue.

Now, if you want to discuss why you think Christianity is not unique, or would like to discuss the claims of the literature you have read, or you would like to discuss the specific attitudes or actions that others have taken against you that you think it wrong, or even if you would like us to pray for you. Then ask, you'll find soft hearts waiting for you if you pray the prayer of Mark 9:16 "help me overcome my unbelief."

But no one here will pat you on the back and tell you that everything will be ok regardless of the choice you make. It won't. If you have come to know who Jesus is, and what He has done on your behalf, and you choose to walk away from Him, you walk away from life. You choose to live a life of living hell and you turn down the only way to the Father.

Grace and Peace in Christ Alone

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Mark 9:16 "help me overcome my unbelief."
That's actually 9:24.

But no one here will pat you on the back and tell you that everything will be ok regardless of the choice you make.
Well, none of the Christians here will.

It's good to have you back at TOL, BChristianK. I didn't realize you were from Denver until right after we got back from our vacation there in July. Too bad... the Sibbie and I would have enjoyed meeting you.

Granite

Hall of Fame
"Your faith was fragile such that it could not withstand the near baseless claims that Christianity is nothing more than a reconstitution of other religions and that the historicity of the resurrection is questionable."

You can keep saying it was fragile till you go blue. Two decades in the church and a commitment to the faith doesn't add up to "fragile" in my book, but, whatever. You're entitled to your opinion. The claims do have a foundation, by the way.

"BTW, you get to accuse fundi’s of being self-righteous, patronizing and insulting only to the extent that Knight lets you. When he gets tired of it, he’ll ban you."

I'm aware. Kind of a double standard: Sozo and others can degenerate a discussion and use profanity to their heart's content, but the minute an ex-Christian gets fired up, he runs the risk of getting banned. Whatever.

"But no one here will pat you on the back and tell you that everything will be ok regardless of the choice you make."

Some have. Just not Christians, understandably.

Memes...

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Sozo and others can degenerate a discussion and use profanity to their heart's content...
No he can't. :kookoo:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

He has and he can. I can't remember a time when the guy got banned for using his typically lousy language.

Who cares what you don't remember. I suggest that you stop spewing off garbage that you know nothing about. Not that it's any of your business but he has.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Poly

Who cares what you don't remember. I suggest that you stop spewing off garbage that you know nothing about. Not that it's any of your business but he has.

Well, good. Wasn't trying to get you going, Poly.

I know this was directed at Granite, but I'd like to chime in, as I made the original statement in question:

In my case, I'll fully admit that I am fully reponsible for the loss of my own faith. No one else could or should be.

However, I disagree that it was a choice. I do not believe one is able to choose what they believe. If you truly believe something, it's not something you can decide, it is just IS. Just like we have no control over gut feeling. What happened in my case was that small niggling issues picked at my brain, and when I, in an effort to be intellectually honest with myself, investigated these issues, more and more questions were raised, each more fundamental - until it all fell out from under me.

The first of these small niggling issues was the people in my Church - generally speaking the whole lot of them were angry most of the time, negative, and not very nice people. They were Pharasees, and, here is the crucial point - deep down they were not any different than the worldly people I knew outside of Church. If there is one true religion, you would think it's followers would be different than everyone else, wouldn't you? It was like the finding a rabbit hole, and I could not help but to see how deep it went...

Again, I'd like to reiterate that it wasn't these people that made me lose my faith, but they were part of the reason that I initally started my questioning.

For another example of how this can happen, read this story by an ex-Christian who was in the faith her whole life, yet, had it torn from her like it was torn from me. In her case, her husband's treatment of her was the main catalyst that drove her questioning. I've posted this link before - it's very long but definately worth a read.
http://www.iidb.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=72552

wickwoman

Dear Avatar:

BTW, I like your avatar. And I agree with you. Belief is something that we aquire through years of personal experiences. And, since we are not controlling certain circumstances in our lives, where we are born, who our parents are and what experiences they choose to force down our throats *ahem* I mean, expose us to, how can we choose what we believe?

We either believe something or not. And, if we are intelligent and brave, when we see the rabbitt hole, we will get to the bottom of it. Only a fearful, ignorant person would ignore a gaping whole in their philsophies. When we discover a flaw in our reasoning, we must find out why it's there. Maybe we will find the material we need to repair the hole. Or, maybe we will find a thread and keep pulling until the entire fabric of our life is in a big pile at our feet. Either way, we will keep exploring and discovering. And, as Granite expressed earlier, it's an adventure and a reason to get up every morning!

BChristianK

Originally posted by Turbo

Well, none of the Christians here will.

It's good to have you back at TOL, BChristianK. I didn't realize you were from Denver until right after we got back from our vacation there in July. Too bad... the Sibbie and I would have enjoyed meeting you.

Thanks for the correction on the verse number, the one time I don't double check.....

I'd have loved to have met both you and Sibbie as well. Home school moms and the dads who work their tail off to let their wives homeschool are heroes to me and my expecting wife so we'd have loved to have talked to you about it.

Grace and Peace

wickwoman

I'd have loved to have met both you and Sibbie as well. Home school moms and the dads who work their tail off to let their wives homeschool are heroes to me and my expecting wife so we'd have loved to have talked to you about it.

Congratulations! Do you know what it is yet? Have you any other children?

Granite

Hall of Fame
"If you truly believe something, it's not something you can decide, it is just IS. Just like we have no control over gut feeling. What happened in my case was that small niggling issues picked at my brain, and when I, in an effort to be intellectually honest with myself, investigated these issues, more and more questions were raised, each more fundamental - until it all fell out from under me."
:thumb:

These small issues have a habit of snowballing, don't they?

"The first of these small niggling issues was the people in my Church - generally speaking the whole lot of them were angry most of the time, negative, and not very nice people."

Same here. Not all Christians are like this but enough are to make you wonder.

servent101

granite1010
Same here. Not all Christians are like this but enough are to make you wonder.

Some Christians can't say they are Christian because people confuse them with the type you describe.

None the less - there is mention I have heard of a book - Life after God - where in fact you do live your life more in the presence of God once you give up the typical shallow context of what the schollars tell you is the only way, and the only source of knowledge.

Hope you do not carry with you the typical attitde of what the so called Ministers of the Good News tell you of other Faiths - there is so much similar and complimenting Good News that really makes what we generally understand about God - so much more plain, and enlightening. - give up the shallow understanding steeped in the closing of the canon of the orthodox church - but don't pour the oil out of your lamp - the light is shining for you more than ever possibly now that you may see the deluge of false teaching from the orthodox minded infested church.

Check out Buddah and Krishna Taoism just for starters. There is God out there for us to find - but as you have found - He is not bound to one closed book that He never told them to close.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

JustAChristian

Re: No Longer A Christian

Well, the name of the thread pretty much sums it up.

I no longer consider myself a Christian, a member of the Christian faith, believer in Christ or the Bible.

I came to TOL last year considering myself a born again member of the body of Christ. And it's been a crazy year. Not easy.

I am not sure if I'll stick around at TOL or not. Like any group I know I'll be ignored by some, welcomed by others, after this little announcement. There are lots of people here who've always been decent to me. And I really appreciate it.

Talk to you later.

What is your proof that you ever was a Christian?

JustAChristian :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.