NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Today, the Steelers had their Pee Wee Team from the Southside starting, and they still managed to beat the Cleveland Browns.

The hardest part was getting the big helmets on those little heads.

It was the Browns' 13th loss in a row at Heinz Field.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Even so, the Bengals and Bills collapse have left me 5-4 going into the afternoon. Meaning the week could still be a really good one or just awful. I'll need the Saints, Giants and Chargers to spoil and Broncos, Seattle, Arizona and GB to cover.
Thanks to the Saints, Giants, Broncos and Arizona for taking me to 9-6 against the line on the week.

Now it's up to Green Bay to determine if I go out on a 10 win run. :D

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Patriots and Steelers enter the playoffs with 7-game winning streaks.

AFC QB Playoff starts:

31 - Brady
17 - Roethlisberger
5 - Alex Smith
0 - all the other AFC QB's

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
With the loss, the Browns finished 1-15, and have the #1 draft pick.

The 3 top men running the Browns are all Harvard graduates (Berry, Brown, and DePodesta).

Throw in Obama (and maybe it's me), but it just seems like Harvard degrees aren't what they used to be.

JPPT1974

Yeah how can they be Harvard grads that can't seem to be running a football team. Is beyond my guess!

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yeah how can they be Harvard grads that can't seem to be running a football team. Is beyond my guess!

The Browns' head coach is not helping.

In today's game, the Browns had the ball first and goal at the 2 yard line with 48 seconds left in a 21-21 tie game. All they had to do was kneel and kick a game winning field goal, but instead they ran the ball and fumbled. This led to overtime, and a loss for the Browns.

It's as if they were playing for the #1 draft pick.

Remember, this was against the Steeler's JV team.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Ok.....my last Browns post this season:

Top 4 Hue Jackson moments:

1) Called time out before the first play of the game. HERE
2) Couldn't find the challange flag that he couldn't use HERE
3) Says we need to "get better" and he'll fix it HERE
4) Tells us he hasn't even unleashed the offensive Bag Of Tricks yet. HERE

Honorable Mention: Called a fake punt in week 1 from his own 35.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Alabama is a 7 pt favorite in the championship game against Clemson, according to OddsShark. To my mind, this Clemson defense is better than the last time we beat them and the offense is on par. My Tide needs to find more of that offense that went missing in our last.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Steelers host Miami in the first round of the playoffs.

This will be only the fourth time these two teams have met in the playoffs. They last met in the 1984 AFC Championship Game.

The line started out with Pittsburgh -7.5, but has now gone to Pittsburgh -9.5

:think:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That's practically a "bye" for Pittsburgh. When the Steelers win that game it shouldn't even be counted as a Playoff win.

Unless Detroit upsets the Seahawks, your Cowboys will get either the Giants or Packers.

Hahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Thank you, Green Bay! Another 10-6 week to wrap up this year's competition.

So, now we're looking toward the Wild Card round and match ups.

Mia @ Pit: No real mystery here. The line is opening at around -10 for the Steelers. There will be an understandable rush to lay these points given the obliteration of the Fins by New England this week. Remember my old 0-30 pt ranking scale? If you do you might recall my noting how since Marino Miami tends to begin and end a season at the respectable, but limited 20 mark after looking like a playoff team around the middle. That's exactly what happened and where they are right now, though given the overall lack of dominant teams this year that run got them a playoff ticket.

The Fins' defense is 30th against the rush and 15th against the pass. They'll have to contend with a Steelers team that is 4th in passing and 14th in rushing. Meaning Pittsburgh should be able to use their balance to move effectively against Miami. Miami's offense relies on the run. Their passing game is meant to compliment that rushing game. Shut it down and Moore simply isn't good enough to beat you with the weapons on hand. To have success offensively they must run the ball effectively. Despite Moore's decent showing against that stout Pats defense, their inability to rush effectively against the 3rd rated rushing defense put too much pressure on Moore and led to a costly pick. The Steelers are a little better than middle of the pack when it comes to stopping the run, so Miami will be able to use that to move the ball and keep Ben off the field more readily than against the Pats.

All and all Miami is fighting the spread with not even a punchers chance to win. The only way they can hope for more is if their offense clicks in the running game, allowing an able Moore to play to his strengths and keep the Steelers off balance and that offense off the field, a-la the old Giants vs Bills game plan. Realistically, it's all about the spread, not the outcome. If Miami plays as well as they can it's a six point game. Otherwise, it gets ugly early and the Fins aren't built for catch up ball. 55% of the money is on the Steelers making the line.

Winner: Pittsburgh

Most likely statistical outcome: 6 to 9 pts, so 21-26 to 23-32

Oakland @ Houston: the Texans are a 3.5 favorite in a game only a mother could love to bet on. A headless Raiders against the weakest playoff entry in recent memory. I'll forgo analysis on statistical trends. This is a dog. I have Houston limping to a 2 pt victory on the strength of their defense.

Winner: Houston

Most likely statistical outcome: God knows.

Detroit @ Seattle: the Seahawks are a 7.5 favorite entering their WC contest with a fading Lions club. On the averages they're a 10 pt dog, so the 7.5 isn't a stretch. Seattle plays like a different team at home and Detroit has been struggling for consistency of late.

Winner: Seahawks

Most likely statistical outcome: 18-27 to 17-29

Giants @ Green Bay: the line is Pack and 4, which is surprising, but likely a nod to two things: the G-men's outstanding defensive play and Eli's habit of coming to life in the post season. On paper this is an easy enough cover. The differential is nearly two tds.

Green Bay brings the 7th most potent aerial attack in the NFL and, despite losing Eddie Lacy at RB, manage over a hundred yards rushing as well (20th). On defense the Pack is less impressive, ranking 31st in yards allowed through the air while fielding a stout 8th rated defense against the rush. That's likely in the troubling mix with Vegas, as the Giants don't run well to begin with and the secondary of GB is inviting that Eli resurgence I noted...

The Giants are 3rd best at stopping the run, but a less than impressive 24th against the pass.

Then there's red zone defense. The Giants are 2nd best at denying pts to opponents, trailing only New England in that particular. Green Bay? 21st.

Winner: If there's an upset in the WC round it's likely found here or with Houston. The money is better here.

Likely statistical outcome: Green Bay and 5 ish. Something like 23-28 to 15-29 at the top end, but there's a significant statistical chance of an upset here and if I was going to take a chance it would be with this game, looking for the upset.

Jerry Shugart

Unless Detroit upsets the Seahawks, your Cowboys will get either the Giants or Packers.

Hahahaha

Bring em on! The Boys will be favored no matter who they play. Their defense is much improved and their offense is back on track! And they will be completely healthy when their first playoff game rolls around.

The only way that the Steelers can lose to the Dolphins is if they try an onside kick every time they kick off!

Jerry Shugart

Thank you, Green Bay! Another 10-6 week to wrap up this year's competition.

Congrats! You are hitting them out of the park this season.

Oakland @ Houston: the Texans are a 3.5 favorite in a game only a mother could love to bet on. A headless Raiders against the weakest playoff entry in recent memory. I'll forgo analysis on statistical trends. This is a dog. I have Houston limping to a 2 pt victory on the strength of their defense.

Winner: Houston

Good analysis! If I was going to bet on only one game this weekend it would be this one and I would take Houston and give the points.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Bring em on! The Boys will be favored no matter who they play. Their defense is much improved and their offense is back on track! And they will be completely healthy when their first playoff game rolls around.

You better hope Detroit wins.

Green Bay is the hottest team in the NFC right now, and the Giants have already beaten the Cowboys twice this year.

The only way that the Steelers can lose to the Dolphins is if they try an onside kick every time they kick off!

We call that a failed attempt at the Riverdance.

Somehow, he did it in college, and it worked.

Jerry Shugart

You better hope Detroit wins.

Green Bay is the hottest team in the NFC right now, and the Giants have already beaten the Cowboys twice this year.

We took care of Green Bay earlier in the year with ease and after seeing their last few games their improvement is not all that great. No fear of them, for sure. The G-men got every single break in the two games between the two teams and the Boys lost both games by a total of six points!

In either case, the Boys will be favored to win no matter who they play.

But the Steelers are going to meet a team which did slaughter them in their first meeting of the year! I mean, it wasn't even close. And I hear Ryan Tannehill might start for them this week. So the Steelers might actually have their hands full Sunday against such a bad team.

However, I do wish that they win because I really want a Cowboys/Steeler rematch in the Super Bowl this year!

The Boys have already beaten the Steelers once this year so revenge will be even sweeter when the boys beat your lowly team in the Super Bowl!

We call that a failed attempt at the Riverdance.

It reminded me of my golf game. I often miss the small ball completely and then take a mulligan!

But how can a professional football player almost completely miss an object as big as as a football? And then take a mulligan!

That was almost as funny as watching Big Ben's reaction while he watched on the sidelines.

What a bunch of clowns!

beloved57

We have a first round by, great, so some key players can heal up. Our first opponent must come to the Ga Dome, I believe we will be hard to beat there, no matter who we play!

Status
Not open for further replies.