NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

john w

Hall of Fame
There are a lot of people looking for you, john w, AKA john weasel, because they want their money back because your guarantee of the "Lions plus seven points" bet fell flat on its face!

So quit hiding away and face the music!

Wow-weasel? You hurt my feelings....Sob...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This last week is going to be a nightmare of rested starters, listless failures and a few people trying to make an impression for next year. :smack:

I'm going to call every game anyway. Why not?

1. Buf @ Jets: the Bills are a 3.5 favorite absent their head coach and defensive coordinator. That might raise eyebrows if they weren't playing the Jests. The Bills run for more yards, on average, than any other team in the NFL, which is good considering they're nearly dead last at passing the rock. The Jets are about middle of the pack at defending the run, worse at defending the pass. That's good news for Buffalo and reason enough to take them and lay the points. Buffalo.

2. Chi @ Min: the Vikings are a 5.5 fav. Peterson may play in the last game of the Minnesota season. . .Chicago's Barkley demonstrated why back ups are rarely worth celebrating last week as he threw five picks against Washington. Washington, ranked 28th against the pass. Oh go on and take Minnesota.

3. Bal @ Cin: Bengals are a 2.5 fav. Two good teams that failed to consistently play up to their talent level, though the Bengals played down so often it will likely be the final straw ending the Smith coaching run. They're fairly evenly matched, as their earlier contest this year attests. The 2.5 is a coin flip. I have it 2 even...and I think I'm taking the Ravens and not swallowing the half point. Baltimore looked better in their 31-27 loss to the Steelers than the Bengals did in their 2 pt loss to the anemic Texans. Baltimore.

4. Cle @ Pit: Steelers by 6.5. This one isn't a given. It's been announced that Big Ben and Bell will be rested for the meaningless contest. I don't think it will be enough to hand the contest to Cleveland, but I'm not biting on that line with back ups at the skill positions. Cleveland to keep it closer...though really it's Pittsburgh that's managing that.

5. Dal @ Phi: another meaningless game for a playoff bound Cowboys. They're a 2.5 dog because of it. Should be a defensive contest, given. Jones has said starters won't be rested. Taking him at his word I'll take the Cowboys against that line.

6. Hou @ Ten: Titans are a 2.5 fav. What a difference a leg makes...The Texans play smothering defense and the Titans won't have their qb in this fight. Unlike with the Texans, that's a bad thing. :plain: Texans.

7. Jac @ Ind: Indy at 4.5...well, why not. Indy is 6 pts better on average. Could be an interesting contest, but the most likely outcome is over the spread. I'll take it. Indy.

8. NE @ Mia: the Pats are a 9.5 fav. A game that looks to be a closer contest to me. If Granite was still around he'd tell you that Miami has a habit of playing New England close. The Fins will come to play. New England should be looking to rest starters. I like this one by 6, so I'll take the points and Miami.

9. Car @ TB: Bucs are a 6 fav. That's a big line for this game. Both teams will be playing their bowl game here. I like it closer, so I'll take the points and Carolina.

10. NO @ Atl: the Falcons are a 6.5 fav. A win by the birds will secure a second place situation, so it's worth the effort. The Saints would love to make a statement and spoil their chief rival's post season fun in any way they can. Could be a shoot out, if that's how it plays out. I look for a 38-27 Falcons win. Atlanta.

11. Oak @ Den: another week, another trajectory altering injury. While word is the back up for Oakland is no slouch, it's unrealistic to expect the Raiders to match up with the Denver D sans the most important piece in its offense. Denver is a 1.5 fav and it feels like a nod from Vegas. Or maybe they just don't believe Denver can do much on the offensive side of things. In any event, I'm taking Denver and laying the points.

12. KC @ SD: the Chiefs are a 5.5 fav. Reid is considering resting his starters and likely will to some extent. San Diego still has an outside shot at a playoff bid with enormous and unlikely help, but it makes the game meaningful for them. I'm going to take a gamble that Rivers comes up big and wins or keeps it close against a team that will be playing to not get anyone hurt. Chargers.

13. Arz @ LA: the Cardinals are out of the playoffs. LA was never remotely in the hunt. The Cardinals are a 6.5 favorite. The only question is can they cover the points. Given the upheaval in LA and what happened with Seattle, I'll say yes. Arizona.

14. Gia @ Was: Was is a 7.5 fav. That's a big line, considering. Too many for me. I like it closer. Gia.

15. Sea @ SF: Seattle is a whopping 9.5 fav. They need the statement making rebound. The only problem? Outside of the impressive New England game they've been really bad on the road. I'll take a chance on the need outweighing the tradition. Seattle.

16. GB @ Det: GB is a 3.5 fav. There's every reason to suspect the Packers will kill a lately listless Lions. The Pack hasn't scored fewer than 30 over the last three games. Detroits high is 21 over the same stretch. Green Bay.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
NE @ Mia: the Pats are a 9.5 fav. A game that looks to be a closer contest to me. If Granite was still around he'd tell you that Miami has a habit of playing New England close. The Fins will come to play. New England should be looking to rest starters. I like this one by 6, so I'll take the points and Miami.
They have a habit of playing NE close, especially earlier in the season, and in Miami.

NE needs to win in order to guarantee home-field advantage throughout the playoffs,* but they don't need to win by 10 to do that. ;)

* Unless Denver wins.

Jerry Shugart

Dal @ Phi: another meaningless game for a playoff bound Cowboys. They're a 2.5 dog because of it. Should be a defensive contest, given. Jones has said starters won't be rested. Taking him at his word I'll take the Cowboys against that line.

Don't be surprised if Dak is taken out of the game after the first series because the starting left tackle will not play and the starting left guard may not play. Frankly, I hope that Dak is pulled as early as possible.

With all this in mind, I would give the points and take the Eagles.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
This last week is going to be a nightmare of rested starters, listless failures and a few people trying to make an impression for next year. :smack:

I'm going to call every game anyway. Why not?

1. Buf @ Jets: the Bills are a 3.5 favorite absent their head coach and defensive coordinator. That might raise eyebrows if they weren't playing the Jests. The Bills run for more yards, on average, than any other team in the NFL, which is good considering they're nearly dead last at passing the rock. The Jets are about middle of the pack at defending the run, worse at defending the pass. That's good news for Buffalo and reason enough to take them and lay the points. Buffalo.

2. Chi @ Min: the Vikings are a 5.5 fav. Peterson may play in the last game of the Minnesota season. . .Chicago's Barkley demonstrated why back ups are rarely worth celebrating last week as he threw five picks against Washington. Washington, ranked 28th against the pass. Oh go on and take Minnesota.

3. Bal @ Cin: Bengals are a 2.5 fav. Two good teams that failed to consistently play up to their talent level, though the Bengals played down so often it will likely be the final straw ending the Smith coaching run. They're fairly evenly matched, as their earlier contest this year attests. The 2.5 is a coin flip. I have it 2 even...and I think I'm taking the Ravens and not swallowing the half point. Baltimore looked better in their 31-27 loss to the Steelers than the Bengals did in their 2 pt loss to the anemic Texans. Baltimore.

4. Cle @ Pit: Steelers by 6.5. This one isn't a given. It's been announced that Big Ben and Bell will be rested for the meaningless contest. I don't think it will be enough to hand the contest to Cleveland, but I'm not biting on that line with back ups at the skill positions. Cleveland to keep it closer...though really it's Pittsburgh that's managing that.

5. Dal @ Phi: another meaningless game for a playoff bound Cowboys. They're a 2.5 dog because of it. Should be a defensive contest, given. Jones has said starters won't be rested. Taking him at his word I'll take the Cowboys against that line.

6. Hou @ Ten: Titans are a 2.5 fav. What a difference a leg makes...The Texans play smothering defense and the Titans won't have their qb in this fight. Unlike with the Texans, that's a bad thing. :plain: Texans.

7. Jac @ Ind: Indy at 4.5...well, why not. Indy is 6 pts better on average. Could be an interesting contest, but the most likely outcome is over the spread. I'll take it. Indy.

8. NE @ Mia: the Pats are a 9.5 fav. A game that looks to be a closer contest to me. If Granite was still around he'd tell you that Miami has a habit of playing New England close. The Fins will come to play. New England should be looking to rest starters. I like this one by 6, so I'll take the points and Miami.

9. Car @ TB: Bucs are a 6 fav. That's a big line for this game. Both teams will be playing their bowl game here. I like it closer, so I'll take the points and Carolina.

10. NO @ Atl: the Falcons are a 6.5 fav. A win by the birds will secure a second place situation, so it's worth the effort. The Saints would love to make a statement and spoil their chief rival's post season fun in any way they can. Could be a shoot out, if that's how it plays out. I look for a 38-27 Falcons win. Atlanta.

11. Oak @ Den: another week, another trajectory altering injury. While word is the back up for Oakland is no slouch, it's unrealistic to expect the Raiders to match up with the Denver D sans the most important piece in its offense. Denver is a 1.5 fav and it feels like a nod from Vegas. Or maybe they just don't believe Denver can do much on the offensive side of things. In any event, I'm taking Denver and laying the points.

12. KC @ SD: the Chiefs are a 5.5 fav. Reid is considering resting his starters and likely will to some extent. San Diego still has an outside shot at a playoff bid with enormous and unlikely help, but it makes the game meaningful for them. I'm going to take a gamble that Rivers comes up big and wins or keeps it close against a team that will be playing to not get anyone hurt. Chargers.

13. Arz @ LA: the Cardinals are out of the playoffs. LA was never remotely in the hunt. The Cardinals are a 6.5 favorite. The only question is can they cover the points. Given the upheaval in LA and what happened with Seattle, I'll say yes. Arizona.

14. Gia @ Was: Was is a 7.5 fav. That's a big line, considering. Too many for me. I like it closer. Gia.

15. Sea @ SF: Seattle is a whopping 9.5 fav. They need the statement making rebound. The only problem? Outside of the impressive New England game they've been really bad on the road. I'll take a chance on the need outweighing the tradition. Seattle.

16. GB @ Det: GB is a 3.5 fav. There's every reason to suspect the Packers will kill a lately listless Lions. The Pack hasn't scored fewer than 30 over the last three games. Detroits high is 21 over the same stretch. Green Bay.
Town, you should move to Vegas and wager on football. You would win enough to retire your wife and yourself.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Don't be surprised if Dak is taken out of the game after the first series because the starting left tackle will not play and the starting left guard may not play. Frankly, I hope that Dak is pulled as early as possible.

Jerry says they're in, but I have faith in the Cowboys' back up too. :D

Jerry Shugart

Wow-we had not thought of that. We need your brilliant insight.

You are welcome. By the way, I guess you are aware that it is now being said that Romo might play, depending on the health of the offensive line.

Swami, which way do you advise us to bet on the game:

At Philadelphia -4.5
Dallas

And this one?

At Washington -7.5
NY Giants

Thanks!

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Makes sense. Afterall, they sat Elliott after a dozen carries. That helps two ways. Let McFadden and Sanchez get needed reps while avoiding injury.

Jerry Shugart

No, the Steelers don't have cheerleaders.

Evidently there is not a lot of enthusiasm for the Steelers in the Steel City and I can understand why.

On the other hand, the Boys lead the NFL in attendance last year with an average of over 91,000 people per game.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Kubiak resigns as head coach of the Denver Broncos. Health reasons cited. Wow.

Also, watching the Cowboys game. Romo looked sharp in his single drive debut, moving the team for their only TD.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
From what Jerry says it appears that Romo will not play but instead Sanchez. He doesn't want to take a chance of an injury to Romo and I cannot blame him.
Meant to thank you for that heads up. I didn't have the time to scour wires and you talked me down from the points ledge with the Cowboys. And you were right. They mostly played their worst qb. Ugh.

Even so, the Bengals and Bills collapse have left me 5-4 going into the afternoon. Meaning the week could still be a really good one or just awful. I'll need the Saints, Giants and Chargers to spoil and Broncos, Seattle, Arizona and GB to cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.