NFL 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I achieved a life-long dream of going 5-9 against the spread last week
You should definitely think about getting yourself a trophy...one of those participation ones with the generic, vaguely athletic topper.

So here is what the script spat out:
Interestingly enough, I believe that's the subtext for nearly every republicanchick post. :shocked:

Now, I give you Cal's week 8 Picks:

Mia @ NE(-7.5): The all-knowing Python script believes that like their perennially lackluster brethren in New Jersey, Miami will keep this one close enough. Dolphins.
Flip a coin the last two years the games haven't been close, but they've been evenly divided...this year, the way the Pats are playing I'm going with New England. So suck it, Guesstamatron 2000 or whatever... :idunno:

Det @ KC(-5.5): I'm not sure which way I would have gone on this one if I was deciding with reasons and stuff, but I'm not, so Lions.
:rotfl: Guess.

Cin @ Pit(+2.5): Fate has chosen the first of an alarmingly small number of home teams, and already I'm starting to doubt the sanity of this plan. Steelers.
If Ben plays I'm with you. If he doesn't I'm agin' ya.

TB @ Atl(-7.5): You don't get to see spreads like this that often in this division. I'm strangely comfortable going with whatever Tampa Bay's team is called.
I believe it's the Boutineers. And there's no way I'm going with that arrangement. Atlanta.

NYG @ NO(-3.5): Is it just me, or did someone at CBS accidentally put a minus sign in there? Giants.
I have NO by a point...so that's too rich a spread. Come on Eli. Giants.

Min @ Chi(+2.5): I might start a Cal's Sleeper of the Week pick, meaning I'll point out which game looks like it would be my favorite to nap through. Our inaugural contest? This one. Vikings.
There's a fine line between being a Bears fan and full blown narcolepsy. I'll take Minnesota.

Ari @ Cle(+5.5): My idiotic script idea doesn't look so dumb now, does it? Cardinals.
Stop it or you'll jinx the whole shebang. Arizona.

SD @ Bal(-3.5): This game must have been hard to handicap. Would I rely on either of these teams to beat anyone by more than a field goal after what they've done the first seven weeks? No. But thankfully, a complex mathematical algorithm imported into a very uncomplex program is making the decision for me. Chargers.
It's hard to go against science. And we don't do anything easy in my family. Even put the nails in backward. Baltimore. EDIT (10/28) Then again, SD's offense has been fairly potent and Baltimore is nearly dead last against the pass...okay, I'm flipping this one. Chargers.

SF @ StL(-8.5): What is wrong with you, Cal? Even you wouldn't be dumb enough to—49ers.
I hate the line, but I hate the Niners more. Rams.

Ten @ Hou(-.5 <-- :rotfl: ): Now that is a spread. A low-cholesterol spread whose resemblance to butter strains credulity. Texans.
Like I said, Ten made Atlanta look like a gifted soccer team and Houston managed to make Miami look like the Rams when they had an offense. Titans.

NYJ @ Oak(+6.5): I think my script has a thing for Jersey boys. Jets.
Jet fans don't cry? Bye week baby? Talk like a fan? Oh why not...Jets.

Sea @ Dal(+6.5): The Cowboys fan is native to Texas, but can be found in the wild in every environment and climate of North America. They are known for their keen memory of the nineties and for eating their young. Seahawks.
That's a big line. Seattle should win this one, but I can't forget that they got past the Lions by a fg. Dallas.

GB @ Den(+3.5): I've come this far. No turning back now. *closes eyes and clicks his mouse on*: Broncos.
The money is all over GB and 3. At 3.5 I'm staying with Denver at home.

Ind @ Car(-6.5): This weeks picks contest will most likely be wrapped up on Sunday night again, because nobody in our pool is picking Indy, not even the soulless, dispassionate script. Panthers.
Six and a half? Pshaw. Give me Indy...and another bourbon.

Last edited:

Caledvwlch

You should definitely think about getting yourself a trophy...one of those participation ones with the generic, vaguely athletic topper.

participation-trophies-funny-horses-rear-3.gif

Interestingly enough, I believe that's the subtext for nearly every republicanchick post. :shocked:

A random conservative noise machine as predictable as hers is still beyond my capabilities as a coder. :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Top Ten Entering Week 8

1. New England: Offensively potent, with 35 pts averaged a game. The only weak spot is their rushing average and yards. Against the best defenses that could be problematic, but it hasn't been so far. Defensively? They're average against the pass, uninspiring against the run, by yards. But they're solid in terms of points allowed coming in 12th. The X factor is also solidly in their corner. Exceptionally well coached and a palpable confidence built on a winning tradition and belief in the skill positions, especially the guy pulling the trigger.

Green Bay: 5th best scoring offense. Ranked 1st in fewest points allowed. Might be the actual number one overall, but given who both have played it's really hard to tell. So I'm calling this a tie. Lacy needs to produce more, but has proven he's capable. Rodgers is, to my mind, the best playing his position now, if marginally ahead of Brady. He's younger and more athletic than the Pats qb and more savvy than the younger and more athletic qbs behind him.

3. Arizona: maybe we're just not accustomed to it, but Arizona's offense compares favorably with New England. All tolled the yards almost cancel out and the difference in production on the board is around two points in favor of the Pats. Defensively? 8th and about two points off Green Bay and two points better than New England. So you could make the argument this is a three way tie. I wouldn't fault you.

4. Cincinnati: love them/hate them, believe in them or retain the memory of who they've been, there's no denying how good this team keeps playing. 3rd best scoring offense and 11th best defense preventing.

5. Carolina: hard as it is for me to believe, the Panthers appear to have arrived as a team worth keeping on the radar. 6th best defense (with Seattle being marginally out in front and the best gaining only a two point average on them) and the 6th best offense, with a real balance between rushing and passing effectiveness, they're already looking like at least a darkhorse in the run for the SB, early as it is.

6. Denver: remarkable to write this after the years Peyton has had in Denver, but this team is a great defense in need of an offense. The only encouraging thing is that as dysfunctional as the offense has looked it's still a solid middle-ish player, coming in at 14th, but within a couple of points of all but the top six, within 4 pts of all but the top three teams. Meaning that the perception of Denver is mostly about what we aren't seeing, instead of what we are. Is that the new offense or father time? We'll see. The point of the new offense was to generate rushing and Denver is fourth from last in yards per carry average. Meanwhile, the best defense in the league is showing signs of wear from the lack of sustained help and sinks down to a tie for second. :D If that defense gets a td more a game from the offense this team can beat anyone. But, you know what they say about ifs and wishes...

7. Atlanta: everyone knows they can score. The 4th best offense in the league with arguably the best pair of wrs playing and has a rare ability to couple that with an actual, sustainable rushing attack. What you might not know is that the sieve like performance of the defense stopped a while ago. They're now better than average by a few spots and a couple of points. Most importantly, they're 9th in terms of average against the pass, which in this league isn't hay.

8. Seattle: I don't care about the record, they're playing better. The good news? Despite being a little under average in terms of production, the running game is functioning soundly and the per attempt average in the passing game isn't bad at all. A certain high priced qb is going to have to step up and start reminding us he's there and possessing a few unique tricks in a bag that helped get his team to two SBs, both of which they should have won. The defense isn't that dominant bunch for a few years ago, but they're pretty darn good, holding teams to under a hundred yards a game and a sub four average. The secondary is 3rd in limiting yards and 7th by average.

9. Minnesota: things are turning around for the Vikings. Peterson isn't the lone offensive wolf any longer with the emergence of a passing game to compliment him and take defenders out of a stacked box. They're moving the ball, but they need a little more out of the passing game and a few more points on the board to show for it, being a fg off average. The defense is stellar, tied for 2nd with Denver. It's something of a parallel with Denver, only with a different question. With the Vikings it's more what can the qb develop into than what has the qb become? The answer to that will decide how far the Vikings go this year.

10. Pittsburgh: they've done well to stay in contention without the great big engine that can, Ben Rothlisberger, under center. Without Ben the offense is below average, by about half a point. The good news is that even relegated to the more predictably one dimensional, the running game has blossomed, with an incredible near tie for second on average and within a yard of pacing 8th per game. That's absurd, given. The defense is 7th and within two points of 1st.

What does this mean? It means if Ben can get back into form they're as good as anyone and maybe better than anyone in relatively short order.

Caledvwlch

Well that's pretty sad. No posts about the Sunday games.

I'm 7 and 6 so far this week using my random picks script, and I think I have the Carolina Kitty Cats tonight, so this could be a plus .500 week!

Quetzal

Well that's pretty sad. No posts about the Sunday games.

I'm 7 and 6 so far this week using my random picks script, and I think I have the Carolina Kitty Cats tonight, so this could be a plus .500 week!
Well, at least Peyton looked better (Too bad he never found the end zone). And Tampa Bay bests Atlanta? I did not see that coming.

Caledvwlch

Well, at least Peyton looked better (Too bad he never found the end zone). And Tampa Bay bests Atlanta? I did not see that coming.

Both of those games worked out okay for me. It was some of the more obvious ones where my coin flips went the wrong way.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was a little surprised about the outcome in Denver. But when you see opposing teams with an oxygen mask before the game, you know they are in trouble.

Caledvwlch

You know, looking at the schedules, there’s a reasonably decent chance that Denver and New England will both be 10-0 when they meet up on the 29th.

No stakes there, boys.

brewmama

I was a little surprised about the outcome in Denver. But when you see opposing teams with an oxygen mask before the game, you know they are in trouble.

Aw, did the little babies need some O2? Since Denver still loses games in Denver sometimes, I hardly think that's a real reason. They were just toking up. Neverthless,
THAT GAME WAS AWESOME!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Aw, did the little babies need some O2? Since Denver still loses games in Denver sometimes, I hardly think that's a real reason.

The Nuggets and Broncos have always had one of the best home field advantages in all of sports. Only when the Nuggets have been really bad do the numbers get skewed. It is physiological. You really think Denver has 4th quarter comebacks at home because John Elway somehow figured out how to play in the 4th quarter and didn't know how in the first 3?

Looking up pro-reference.com, which is a statistical site with team won-loss and individual state, Elway had 33 4th quarter comebacks/game winning drive in Mile High Stadium, and only 17 on the road.

Joe Montana has 34 4QCB/GMD of which 23 were away leaving only 11 at home. Naturally Montana has fewer comebacks as he took care of business in the first 3 quarters.

I am not picking on Elway (this time), he had a huge home field advantage as the Broncos always do.

Last edited:

brewmama

The Nuggets and Broncos have always had one of the best home field advantages in all of sports. Only when the Nuggets have been really bad do the numbers get skewed. It is physiological. You really think Denver has 4th quarter comebacks at home because John Elway somehow figured out how to play in the 4th quarter and didn't know how in the first 3?

Looking up pro-reference.com, which is a statistical site with team won-loss and individual state, Elway had 33 4th quarter comebacks/game winning drive in Mile High Stadium, and only 17 on the road.

Joe Montana has 34 4QCB/GMD of which 23 were away leaving only 11 at home. Naturally Montana has fewer comebacks as he took care of business in the first 3 quarters.

I am not picking on Elway (this time), he had a huge home field advantage as the Broncos always do.

Nevertheless, the Packers (who I don't dislike) played much worse than many of the teams that have played in Denver this year. They got a beat down!

brewmama

If Indy wins this game, it is just WRONG! They call an incomplete pass complete, and stop the clock when a tackle is made in bounds. LAME!

Status
Not open for further replies.