NFL 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caledvwlch

I just wrote a Python script to make my picks for me for next week. It asks how many games there are, then spits out a list of "Visitor" or "Home" based on a random choice between 0 or 1 (a coin flip). I will directly transpose this list onto the pool site's "Make Your Picks" screen, then publish the results here (sometime on Tuesday when next week opens up).

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't think they really have one.

That's what I was thinking.

The Brady vs. Manning thing has been the closest thing, I guess.

The Giants and Ravens have had success against them in the post-season.

Historically, they had some good games with the Dolphins, especially when they beat the Dolphins in the 1985 AFC Championship game.

However, they never really had an intense rivalry with another team since their success in this century.

Granite

Hall of Fame
http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jet...couldve-done-better-job-of-managing-play-time

"Here is a remarkable statistic: The Patriots dropped back to pass on 90.9 percent of their offensive plays, the highest percentage of any team over the last 10 years, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Normally, that’s a recipe for failure, but the Patriots are 4-0 over the last 10 years when throwing at least 80 percent of the time.

"The rest of the league is 3-109."

Quetzal

http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jet...couldve-done-better-job-of-managing-play-time

"Here is a remarkable statistic: The Patriots dropped back to pass on 90.9 percent of their offensive plays, the highest percentage of any team over the last 10 years, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Normally, that’s a recipe for failure, but the Patriots are 4-0 over the last 10 years when throwing at least 80 percent of the time.

"The rest of the league is 3-109."
Brady certainly knows what he is doing, he also has a heck of an offense around him in the form of Gronk, Edelman, and Amendola.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Next week is going to be good. Do you think the Denver defense stands a chance against Aaron and the boys?
On paper. But they play on the field and I think that at home that defense can keep it close, but the offense had better start clicking or it won't matter.

Right now it's New England and either Green Bay or Arizona, with the AFC challengers needing to prove a few things, Denver among them.

Am I the only one who doesn't think the Giants are that good? I am surprised Eli has any rings at all.
Well, this isn't the either of the teams that won the SBs. The Giants got hot in the post season in 2007 and ran the table, but they'd gone 10-6 through the regular season, so they weren't a fluke team. Thye gave New England all they could handle in the last game of the regular season, which ended with a Pats victory by a fg, 38-35.

Then, in the playoffs, they went to and beat TB 24-14, to Dallas and beat them 21-17 and then to Green Bay and beat them in overtime, 23-20. Then they returned the end of the season game favor by topping the Pats 17-14. Eli played a decent game, managing an 87.3 rating, which is solid enough, on 255 yds, 7.5 avg, 2 tds to 1 int.

That defense harassed Brady, who went 266 yds, 5.5 avg., 1 td to 0 ints and an uninspiring 82.5 rating.

But the real reason the Pats lost that one was they couldn't put points on the board against New York the second time around.

In 2011 the Giants made the playoffs with a meh 9 win regular season. But then they went on another run, beating Atlanta 24-2 at home before traveling to and beating Green Bay 37-20, then to SF for an OT nail biter, 20-17. Then it was on to a win over the Pats, 21-17, holding New England scoreless in the opening and closing quarters.

And if a Pat's fan wants to call that lucky they can give back their ring against Seattle. :D

Eli? Moved the ball effectively, for 299 yds, 7.1 avg., only 1 td to no mistakes and an excellent overall 103.8 rating, outplaying the better quarterback for the second time in the big game.

Brady went 276 yds, 6.7 avg., 2 td to 1 int and a 91.1 rating.

Quetzal

On paper. But they play on the field and I think that at home that defense can keep it close, but the offense had better start clicking or it won't matter.

Right now it's New England and either Green Bay or Arizona, with the AFC challengers needing to prove a few things, Denver among them.

Well, this isn't the either of the teams that won the SBs. The Giants got hot in the post season in 2007 and ran the table, but they'd gone 10-6 through the regular season, so they weren't a fluke team. Thye gave New England all they could handle in the last game of the regular season, which ended with a Pats victory by a fg, 38-35.

Then, in the playoffs, they went to and beat TB 24-14, to Dallas and beat them 21-17 and then to Green Bay and beat them in overtime, 23-20. Then they returned the end of the season game favor by topping the Pats 17-14. Eli played a decent game, managing an 87.3 rating, which is solid enough, on 255 yds, 7.5 avg, 2 tds to 1 int.

That defense harassed Brady, who went 266 yds, 5.5 avg., 1 td to 0 ints and an uninspiring 82.5 rating.

But the real reason the Pats lost that one was they couldn't put points on the board against New York the second time around.

In 2011 the Giants made the playoffs with a meh 9 win regular season. But then they went on another run, beating Atlanta 24-2 at home before traveling to and beating Green Bay 37-20, then to SF for an OT nail biter, 20-17. Then it was on to a win over the Pats, 21-17, holding New England scoreless in the opening and closing quarters.

And if a Pat's fan wants to call that lucky they can give back their ring against Seattle. :D

Eli? Moved the ball effectively, for 299 yds, 7.1 avg., only 1 td to no mistakes and an excellent overall 103.8 rating, outplaying the better quarterback for the second time in the big game.

Brady went 276 yds, 6.7 avg., 2 td to 1 int and a 91.1 rating.
The may be. But when I think of a super bowl team (this year especially) I never consider the Giants as a part of that discussion. Maybe I need to realign my definition or maybe my definition is by how exciting the game is. Eli is not an exciting QB, in my opinion.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The may be.
It literally is. :plain: Or was, of course.

But when I think of a super bowl team (this year especially) I never consider the Giants as a part of that discussion.
Do you consider KC? Just trying to get why you think either would reasonably be in that conversation, though it's early enough that I wouldn't completely write out any team that puts together enough wins and has a two time SB winner on board.

Maybe I need to realign my definition or maybe my definition is by how exciting the game is. Eli is not an exciting QB, in my opinion.
You may have a standards problem. :eek: Is Tom exciting? If yes, he won his first three SBs by fgs. So maybe it's just a perception born of a number of things, from not liking the Giants to Eli's less than energetic personality...or maybe a little of all that plus the fact that the Giants have been mediocre to bad more years than they've been particularly good. They've only won ten games or more six times in fifteen years.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That is probably the heart of it. I am a casual fan and I don't like Eli Manning.
I can understand that. I don't root NFC and I hate the Giants. Eli? He's mostly been a good, but not great qb. But in the playoffs? Different animal. And it will likely put him in Canton at some point.

Not exactly what you picture when "worthy opponent" is the phrase in question.

Not by a long shot.
Must really sting to see your guy outplayed in two SBs by someone who isn't even a long shot from being worthy to face you. :shocked: :nono:

He doesn't do much for me either, but you should take those grapes back to the store before they ruin your indigestion.

Quetzal

Not exactly what you picture when "worthy opponent" is the phrase in question.

Not by a long shot.
I will explain it a bit further. When I watch football, I want to see an exciting game. I want to see the Packers march down the field, down by 3 with 20 seconds left. I want to see the Patriots run away with it as Brady throws unopposed. I like watching the Russel Wilson taking 20 yard runs. I like seeing a dominate display of athletic ability. Tiger Woods in 05, Michael Jordan in the 90's, Serena Williams at Wimbeldon. The Giants? Eli Manning? Really? Nahhh...

Granite

Hall of Fame
Must really sting to see your guy outplayed in two SBs by someone who isn't even a long shot from being worthy to face you.

He wasn't so much as the defense was caught flat footed. And no, Eli is not in the same discussion as Brady. That's what sticks in the craw especially about '07: If you're going to ruin a perfect season, you'd hope the team that does it is worthy of the feat. What did we get instead? A bigoted helmet-catching pipsqueak who isn't even playing anymore, and a dough-faced so-so signal caller who blundered into the family business.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I will explain it a bit further. When I watch football, I want to see an exciting game.

i last followed football when the bills were hot - jim kelly, andre reed, shane conlan, thurman thomas, scott norwood, marv levy - the cardiac bills - they'd be down fourteen points in the second half of the fourth and come back, time after time

now that was exciting :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I will explain it a bit further. When I watch football, I want to see an exciting game. I want to see the Packers march down the field, down by 3 with 20 seconds left.
Everyone likes a down to the wire game. :thumb:

I want to see the Patriots run away with it as Brady throws unopposed.
Really? Why? Always hated runaways. I like the competition. Scoring is preferred, but competitive is the litmus.

I like watching the Russel Wilson taking 20 yard runs.
You find Wilson's qb play exciting? :plain: He's mostly invisible. Good, but meh.

I like seeing a dominate display of athletic ability.
You saw it from Eli in his second SB. Over a hundred and three hundred yards is remarkable on that stage. Only 28 qbs managed to put up better in the history of the game. It was better than all but one of Brady's, better than Peyton's ring, than one of Montana's, etc.

Now game in and game out, no. Why? No idea. Team? A personality quirk? His regular season rating is okay. :idunno:

Tiger Woods in 05, Michael Jordan in the 90's, Serena Williams at Wimbeldon. The Giants? Eli Manning? Really? Nahhh...
Hard to look great on a so-so team, but there's definitely greatness in the kid. That much he's proven.

Else, almost no one playing the game meets your standard. Right now, Dalton, Rodgers, Brady and Palmer, sort of...if Big Ben and Romo were upright they'd be on the list. That's about it unless Peyton can wake up. The best of the rest are streaky at best.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I think Quetzal's describing a lack of on-field charisma in Eli that his brother, Brady, and Rodgers all have. And that's somethin' you either just got, or you don't.

Quetzal

You saw it from Eli in his second SB. Over a hundred and three hundred yards is remarkable on that stage. Only 28 qbs managed to put up better in the history of the game. It was better than all but one of Brady's, better than Peyton's ring, than one of Montana's, etc.
That is not enough. (Sounds funny to say since he won the championship that year but hear me out...) He is not a dominate player. Sorry, he isn't. If he was he would be more consistent. That leads into your next comment...

Now game in and game out, no. Why? No idea. Team? A personality quirk? His regular season rating is okay. :idunno:
I don't know either. That is why I do not consider him an elite class player.

Else, almost no one playing the game meets your standard. Right now, Dalton, Rodgers, Brady and Palmer, sort of...if Big Ben and Romo were upright they'd be on the list. That's about it unless Peyton can wake up. The best of the rest are streaky at best.
Sure they do. You named them. Specifically Rodgers, Brady, and Peyton. Despite Peyton's spiral and rather lack luster performance in the playoffs, he is (er, was) an elite class QB. These three guys, especially, dictate the game and take their will and impose on the other team. You do not see that same dominance/command out of Eli. Just my .02.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
He wasn't so much as the defense was caught flat footed.
Both times? He had a better rating than your guy in both games. I set it out. In every metric. I'm not saying he's as good as Brady. I'm not saying I wouldn't take your guy ten out of ten over him in a "start your team" contest. But you can't argue against the kid in the big game. He's golden.

And no, Eli is not in the same discussion as Brady.
No rational being would try to argue the point. I don't even think a Giant's fan is going to try it.

That's what sticks in the craw especially about '07: If you're going to ruin a perfect season, you'd hope the team that does it is worthy of the feat. What did we get instead? [/qtuoe]
A decent team that made the most of its opportunities after winning ten games in the regular season and had to beat pretty good teams on the road for the chance to tee up. They didn't just buy a ticket. They earned the right to be there.

If you're going to attach that much to regular season you're going to have to amend your Peyton stance. :eek:

A bigoted helmet-catching pipsqueak who isn't even playing anymore, and a dough-faced so-so signal caller who blundered into the family business.
First guy was an idiot and he's paid for it. Eli? He earned his way into the NFL and proved he belonged. By all accounts he's a pretty good guy from a pretty good family of guys. Dough-faced? That's what you have for him? :chuckle:

Eli's pointing to the scoreboard. 2-0

Status
Not open for further replies.