NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Same guy who once declared the Pats "ripe for the picking" right before New England pasted Indy in the playoffs.

I remember that.

Do you remember Rodney Harrison calling him "Vanderjerk" after he said New England was ripe for the picking?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
:chuckle:

Of course.:devil:

Did you know that Rodney Harrison and Ray Lewis are the only two players in the 30/30 Club?

The 30/30 club is players that have recorded 30 sacks and 30 interceptions.

To put it into perspective, only 12 players in the history of the NFL are even in the 20/20 Club (10 if you don't count Harrison & Lewis)

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I still think they're living off last year's reputation. Who'd they beat up lately? The headless Cardinals? The Rams? Carolina? The hapless Niners gave them a fight.

Look at their schedule. How many playoff teams on it? What do those games look like? A solid win in week one against the Pack then...A six point hold your breath home win against Denver, a loss to the Cowboys, a narrow win against Carolina away and what?

The team that goes in realizing that and keeps its composure, at this level, is a team that can beat them...though Dallas had better swagger for that particular and on the road.
:idunno: I made that comment based on hearing that they've given up an average of 8 points during the past 7 games. Or something like that. Weak competition would lessen the greatness of that, but 8 points is still good.

The Berean

Did you know that Rodney Harrison and Ray Lewis are the only two players in the 30/30 Club?

The 30/30 club is players that have recorded 30 sacks and 30 interceptions.

To put it into perspective, only 12 players in the history of the NFL are even in the 20/20 Club (10 if you don't count Harrison & Lewis)

Lets not forget that sacks were not tracked until 1982. I wonder how many players before 1982 had 30/30 or 20/20?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Lets not forget that sacks were not tracked until 1982. I wonder how many players before 1982 had 30/30 or 20/20?

Off the top of my head:

Jack Ham had 32 interceptions

I'm pretty sure he had more than 30 sacks during his 12 years

His last year was 1982. Officially he had 3 that year

The Berean

Off the top of my head:

Jack Ham had 32 interceptions

I'm pretty sure he had more than 30 sacks during his 12 years

His last year was 1982. Officially he had 3 that year

Good call on Ham. Hall of Fame LBer Sam Huff had 30 career INT's. I wonder how many "sacks" he had? He played 13 seasons in the NFL (1956-69). Chuck Bednarik has 20 career INT's in 14 seasons.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Good call on Ham. Hall of Fame LBer Sam Huff had 30 career INT's. I wonder how many "sacks" he had? He played 13 seasons in the NFL (1956-69). Chuck Bednarik has 20 career INT's in 14 seasons.

There's only 6 linebackers with 30 or more interceptions

The Berean

I'm using my phone right now

It's too hard

I'll list them when I get home

Ok here they are.

37- Don Shinnick 1957-1969 (Baltimore Colts)
34- Stan White 1972-1982 (Baltimore Colts, Detroit Lions)
32- Jack Ham 1971-1982 (Pittsburgh Steelers)
32- Lee Roy Jordan 1963-1976 (Dallas Cowboys)
31- Ray Lewis 1996-2012 (Baltimore Ravens)
30- Sam Huff 1956-1969 (New York Giants, Washington Redskins)

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Ok here they are.

37- Don Shinnick 1957-1969 (Baltimore Colts)
34- Stan White 1972-1982 (Baltimore Colts, Detroit Lions)
32- Jack Ham 1971-1982 (Pittsburgh Steelers)
32- Lee Roy Jordan 1963-1976 (Dallas Cowboys)
31- Ray Lewis 1996-2012 (Baltimore Ravens)
30- Sam Huff 1956-1969 (New York Giants, Washington Redskins)

Thanks for posting the list.

I highly doubt that any corner or safety had more than 30 sacks prior to 1982 since most teams didn't execute corner and/or safety blitzes like they do today, and because teams simply didn't throw the ball as much as they do today prior to 1982.

So, other than Jack Ham, Sam Huff and the other LB's on your list, I'm not so sure there were any other players that would have made the 30/30 list that played prior to 1982.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hey Berean,

The 49'ers signed Jim Tomsula as their new head coach.

Jim Tomsula was born and raised here in Pittsburgh, PA.(Nick M loves hearing this)

Maybe the 49'ers are hoping Tomsual has the same success as that Green Bay Packers head coach who was also born and raised here in Pittsburgh, PA.

shagster01

Hey Berean,

The 49'ers signed Jim Tomsula as their new head coach.

Jim Tomsula was born and raised here in Pittsburgh, PA.(Nick M loves hearing this)

Maybe the 49'ers are hoping Tomsual has the same success as that Green Bay Packers head coach who was also born and raised here in Pittsburgh, PA.

I'm not sure city of birth has anything to do with success as a coach.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm not sure city of birth has anything to do with success as a coach.

I think it does.

It not just that they were born here, they also grew up and went to high school here.

The following is a list of Hall of Fame QB's born and raised in Pittsburgh.

1) Joe Montana
2) Dan Marino
3) Johnny Unitas
4) Joe Namath
5) Jim Kelly
6) George Blanda

See if you can put together a better list of QB's from another city?

Caledvwlch

I think it does.

It not just that they were born here, they also grew up and went to high school here.

1) Joe Montana
2) Dan Marino
3) Johnny Unitas
4) Joe Namath
5) Jim Kelly
6) George Blanda

No such thing as a coincidence?

Granite

Hall of Fame
I think it does.

1) Joe Montana
2) Dan Marino
3) Johnny Unitas
4) Joe Namath
5) Jim Kelly
6) George Blanda

I thought he was talking about coaches.

I dunno, as for the QBs born in Pittsburgh proper or its environs...maybe something's in the water.:

shagster01

I think it does.

1) Joe Montana
2) Dan Marino
3) Johnny Unitas
4) Joe Namath
5) Jim Kelly
6) George Blanda

You have a broad definition of Pittsburgh. Do you consider New Eagle to be Pittsburgh?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You have a broad definition of Pittsburgh. Do you consider Eagle City to be Pittsburgh?

It's the Pittsburgh Metropolitan area, a.k.a Western Pennsylvania.

All the QB's listed played high school football in the W.P.I.A.L. (Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic League)

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I thought he was talking about coaches.

There's plenty of them too.

About 10 years ago, 25% of all the head coaches in the AFC were from Pittsburgh. (Cowher, Schottenheimer, Lewis, & Wandstadt), while Jim Haslett was in the NFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.