NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Do you consider New Eagle to be Pittsburgh?

New Eagle is part of the Ringgold School District, that's where Montana went to high school.

Yes, it's part of the Pittsburgh Metropolitan area.

Where I grew up I could see Three Rivers Stadium from my house, and we used to play the Ringgold Rams every year in football because they were in our division.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
20140828_110535_resized.jpg

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Don't know if anyone has covered this yet, but Pennsylvania is the most decorated state in the NFL HOF, with 30 of its members hailing from that state.

Second? Texas, with 29, then Ohio with 24, California 18, Illinois, 17, Florida 11...link here.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Don't know if anyone has covered this yet, but Pennsylvania is the most decorated state in the NFL HOF, with 30 of its members hailing from that state.

Yes, and most of them are from the Pittsburgh area. Just a few are from the Philadelphia area.

Basically, in Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh produces football players, and Philadelphia produces basketball players.

The following NBA players were born and raised in the Philadelphia area:

1) Wilt Chamberlain
2) Kobe Bryant
3) Earl Monroe
4) Rasheed Wallace
5) Richard Hamilton

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Now the number one city, by a bit, responsible for NFL HOFers, according to the Hall, is Chicago, with 12, followed by Pittsburgh with 8 then Houston with 6 (hon men LA, with 5). A number of places have 3 and even more have 2.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Don't know if anyone has covered this yet, but Pennsylvania is the most decorated state in the NFL HOF

To me the two best quarterbacks are Montana and Marino. Probably in that order. Because Montana was perfect on the games biggest stage, 4 times in 4 tries. Not just the team, but he was perfect. Pennsylvania has no shortage of elite quarterbacks.

Of course this rules out popular Denver folk here Elway as the greatest ever. He can't be, because he isn't even the best of his generation. He could have been, but in my best judgment, Dan Reeves was the biggest obstacle to his development.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ok here they are.

37- Don Shinnick 1957-1969 (Baltimore Colts)
34- Stan White 1972-1982 (Baltimore Colts, Detroit Lions)
32- Jack Ham 1971-1982 (Pittsburgh Steelers)
32- Lee Roy Jordan 1963-1976 (Dallas Cowboys)
31- Ray Lewis 1996-2012 (Baltimore Ravens)
30- Sam Huff 1956-1969 (New York Giants, Washington Redskins)

I notice most of them played in the dead ball era. People can not deny it was easier when they could just shove somebody out of the way.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think it does.

It not just that they were born here, they also grew up and went to high school here.

The following is a list of Hall of Fame QB's born and raised in Pittsburgh.

1) Joe Montana
2) Dan Marino
3) Johnny Unitas

And Unitas might be best ever over the other two. He had numbers similar to the modern passing era, when he was at a severe disadvantage.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'd take Montana before anyone if I was starting a team. Then Peyton or Young, then Marino. After that I have a few, Warner and Brady and Rodgers leading the list.

I don't think Marino gets mentioned as potential best of all time like he should. Being old enough to see him play all the time, his teams were no where near as good as others. His linemen did make the pro bowl. As did Duper and Clayton. I think he made them better with his quick release and strikes.

I have Manning and Marino similar in passing ability. As in top of the list. And while Montana had the right decision over and over, the others did not have the option to check down to Roger Craig with his 1000 rushing and 1000 receiving yards. That doesn't change that he did it right over and over in the SuperBowl. Others get to that big game and fall apart. Jim Kelly comes to mind.

Granite

Hall of Fame
To me the two best quarterbacks are Montana and Marino. Probably in that order. Because Montana was perfect on the games biggest stage, 4 times in 4 tries. Not just the team, but he was perfect. Pennsylvania has no shortage of elite quarterbacks.

Of course this rules out popular Denver folk here Elway as the greatest ever. He can't be, because he isn't even the best of his generation. He could have been, but in my best judgment, Dan Reeves was the biggest obstacle to his development.

Greatest ever? No way. But I'd put Elway in the "pretty darn good" category, no doubt.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Now the number one city, by a bit, responsible for NFL HOFers, according to the Hall, is Chicago, with 12, followed by Pittsburgh with 8

I don't have an updated list, but I think the list for most HOF'ers by team is as follows:

1) Chicago
2) Green Bay
3) Pittsburgh

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't think Marino gets mentioned as potential best of all time like he should. Being old enough to see him play all the time, his teams were no where near as good as others. His linemen did make the pro bowl. As did Duper and Clayton. I think he made them better with his quick release and strikes.
I was about to say, a line looks great when the qb gets the ball out as fast as Dan managed it.

I have Manning and Marino similar in passing ability.
To me it's arm against head. Manning is a coach on the field with a better arm (at least pre injury) than he's credited with and Marino had a cannon coupled with terrific instinct. And, of course, both were statues.

As in top of the list. And while Montana had the right decision over and over, the others did not have the option to check down to Roger Craig with his 1000 rushing and 1000 receiving yards. That doesn't change that he did it right over and over in the SuperBowl.
Yeah, there's what was and what might have been. What I mean is that I think a handful of qbs might have won Montana's rings with those teams (though the first one wasn't as good) and as many if you start with the second one and run through the first couple Steve had, but they didn't. He did.

Others get to that big game and fall apart. Jim Kelly comes to mind.
He struggled, though in fairness he ran into some of the best teams to ever play in Super Bowls back when the NFC was fielding juggernauts.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Greatest SB games at the quarterback position top 20 (I don't consider qbs with fewer than 20 passes):

1. Phil Simms (1986): 88% cmp, 268 yds, 3 td, 0 int, 150.9 rtg.

2. Montana (1989): 75.9% cmp, 297 yds, 5 td, 0 int, 147.6 rtg.

3. Plunkett (1980): 61.9% cmp, 261 yds, 3 td, 0 int, 145.0 rtg.

4. Aikman (1992): 73.3% comp, 273 yds, 4 td, 0 int, 140.7 rtg.

5. Young (1994): 66.7% cmp, 325 yds, 6 td, 0 int, 134.8 rtg.

6. Williams (1987): 62.1% cmp, 340 yds, 4 td, 1 int, 127.9 rtg.

7. Montana (1984): 68.6% cmp, 331 yds, 3 td, 0 int, 127.2 rtg.

8. Flacco (2012): 66.7% cmp, 287 yds, 3 td, 0 int, 124.2 rtg.

9. Wilson (2013): 72.0% cmp, 206 yds, 2 td, 0 int, 123.1 rtg.

10. Bradshaw (1975): 47.4% cmp, 209 yds, 2 td, 0 int, 122.5 rtg.

11. Bradshaw (1978): 56.7% cmp, 318 yds, 4 td, 1 int, 119.2 rtg.

12. Staubach (1971): 63.2% cmp, 119 yds, 2 td, 0 int, 115.9 rtg.

13. Montana (1988): 63.9% cmp, 357 yds, 2 td, 0 int, 115.2 rtg.

14. Brees (2009): 82.1% cmp, 288 yds, 2 td, 0 int, 114.5 rtg.

15. Delhomme (2003): 48.5% cmp, 323 yds, 3 td, 0 int, 113.6 rtg.

16. Warner (2008): 72.1% cmp, 377 yds, 3 td, 1 int, 112.3 rtg.

17. Rogers (2010): 61.5% cmp, 304 yds, 3 td, 0 int, 111.5 rtg.

18. Brady (2004): 69.7% cmp, 236 yds, 2 td, 0 int, 110.2 rtg

19. Aikman (1995): 65.2% cmp, 209 yds, 1 td, 0 int, 108.8 rtg.

20. Favre (1996): 51.9% cmp, 246 yds, 2 td, 0 int, 107.9 rtg.

You know...Aikman may be getting the short shrift when it comes to considering top qbs. :think:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Greatest ever? No way. But I'd put Elway in the "pretty darn good" category, no doubt.

Yep. Despite Dan Reeves.

:edit:

In fact, I heard a coach one time describe and I agree. One game left, he takes Montana. One play left, he takes Elway.

Last edited:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
who is there to hate?
I can't remember ever liking all four teams playing for the championship
but
I still know who I want to win
as much as I like rogers
he is over paid and don't want to see him win
I really like luck but he is young and has plenty of time to set records
brady should win just because he is not over paid
and