NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think the Cowboys were robbed and the team with the best chance of beating the Seahawks won't be travelling to Seattle.

Maybe so. A team needs to be physical and ground out first downs and move the chains.

It is not a catch. It never was, and never will be. The ground pushed it out of his hands. Nothing else matters. In fact, if he had held on, it is still not a catch, because by the book, it is a trap. A player can not use the ground to catch the ball. It can inadvertently touch the ground if doing so has no effect. Like the end just touching on a light scrape.

I don't know how the Colts can win today. If they do, Luck played out of this world, and Denver made unforced errors. Like putting the opening snap in the end zone.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
NFL rule book said:
Any forward pass becomes incomplete and ball is dead if:

(a) Pass hits the ground or goes out of bounds.

I didn't see a reference (NFL.com) to a trap, but this states it being not allowed in the NFL at all. Having control never mattered during a catch where the ground was used to help control the ball.

Laymans terms said:
Trapping: Receivers are asked to make a lot of difficult catches, but this one is never allowed. Trapping is when a receiver uses the ground to help him catch a pass that’s thrown on a low trajectory. For an official to not rule a reception a trap, the receiver must make sure either his hands or his arms are between the ball and the ground when he makes a legal catch. Often, this play occurs so quickly, only instant replay can show that the receiver wasn’t in possession of the ball — instead it shows that he trapped it.

I suspect he pulled it from an NFL rule book still in paper.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Green Bay wins. :banana:

That Dez Bryant catch reversal is tough though. I tend to think he got robbed. I feel bad for him.
I think that if that's a literal application of the rule the rule needs to be changed. He had clear possession of the ball prior to reaching as he's falling forward, an attempt to stretch his possession to the goal line. A shame to see it end like that.

Yes, I think Seattle will beat GB. I'd rather Seattle return than Dallas make it though so I'm still happy.
Really can't stand Sherman and the general arrogance of that Seattle group. I'll be rooting mightily for the Packers.

Maybe so. A team needs to be physical and ground out first downs and move the chains.
Dallas made a few uncharacteristic mistakes, but they were pretty effective.

It is not a catch. It never was, and never will be. The ground pushed it out of his hands. Nothing else matters.
I differ, supra.

In fact, if he had held on, it is still not a catch, because by the book, it is a trap.
I think he established possession prior to the reach, which is what really caused the ball movement. If he just wraps up there's no conversation. Again, if that's a reasonable application of the rule the rule needs to be revisited. He'd pulled in the catch and taken steps, was making a move for more. At best a near fumble.

A player can not use the ground to catch the ball.
He didn't. Rather, a caught ball, within his control, was moved as he stretched out. His body had already made contact with the ground, short of the goal line, in possession of the ball. A horrible call or a bad rule as written.

I can't speak to the Denver game. I'm going to feel good and badly no matter how it goes.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
At best a near fumble.

The ground can not cause a fumble. Ergo, incomplete.

He didn't. Rather, a caught ball, within his control, was moved as he stretched out. His body had already made contact with the ground, short of the goal line, in possession of the ball. A horrible call or a bad rule as written.

The play has to finish when passing is involved. I don't agree or disagree. It just is. Pulling it in with control doesn't make it a catch until the play is complete. Juggling it after pulling it in is also incomplete, by the rules. NCAA and NFL both use that rule.

I can't speak to the Denver game. I'm going to feel good and badly no matter how it goes.

Well, Luck is playing really well. And so is Boom Herron which the Colts need. I think Herron was one of the Tat Five. Tet would know.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Indy wins!

Denver, Baltimore, and Dallas eliminated. :banana:
If Carolina had won this would have been a perfect football weekend.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
And you, troll, will die somewhere in a warehouse.
That's not how you spell that...unless you actually meant warehouse. :plain:

I love Detroit.:noid:
Who are they playing next week? The Broncos or Dallas?

Sorry to see Peyton go out like that. But he really didn't look right. Maybe there actually is something wrong with him. :idunno:

Bittersweet, but "Go Colts!" They're going to have to have another great game if they want to get past the Pats.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Bring Tebow back. :jump:

Back where? To the bench so he can warm a spot on cold days? ESPN pays him plenty to talk about football. Why walk away from it? He never has to look bad again when dropping back to pass.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I dunno. As a Pittsburgh fan he was born hating Baltimore, so I think he probably figures they got exactly what they deserved.

Watched the game at a sports bar in Boston yesterday (technically Cambridge).

At first I was really enjoying being around a bunch of upset Patriots fans. But, then I have to admit, I started rooting for the Patriots in the fourth quarter because I was getting tired of hearing Colinsworth going on and on about how great Flacco and Harbaugh were in the postseason on the road.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
we may not see tet today

I had the unfortunate experience of spending the weekend in Boston with a bunch of euphoric Patriot's fans.

he must be way too busy with his stats

The stat that really stands out from the Ravens/Patriots game was New England's team rushing stat:

13 carries for 14 yards.

It's amazing to me that a team could win a playoff game with that rushing statistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.