NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
as great as Manning is

“Peyton Manning, considered the best quarterback to play the game today. Nobody would argue with that — if you like winning good during the season and losing Super Bowls, that’s your guy,” - Terry Bradshaw

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

It all stems from Elway telling the Baltimore Colts he would pursue baseball if they drafted him #1 overall in 1983.

Bradshaw was very critical of Elway throughout Elway's career because of how Elway acted about being drafted by the Colts, and which led to Elway going to the Broncos.

Bradshaw always called Elway a spoiled brat for Elway saying he wouldn't play for the Colts if they drafted him.

Now that Elway is the GM of the Broncos, and Peyton Manning is the QB who Elway went out and got.......Bradshaw's criticism of Peyton Manning is really just another shot directed at Elway.

Funny thing, Eli Manning did the same thing in 2004 when he said he wouldn't play for the Chargers.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Why does Bradshaw even care how Elway ended up with the Denver Broncos?

Because when Bradshaw was drafted #1 overall by the Steelers in 1970, the Steelers sucked.

In 1970, the Steelers as a team, and Pittsburgh as a city were the last things Bradshaw wanted.

But, he went with a good attitude, and it was tough for the first few years, but it worked out.

He felt Elway was a spoiled brat for threatening the Baltimore Colts.

Bradshaw's shinning moment came in 1989 when he predicted the 49'ers would beat Elway and the Broncos 55-3 in the Super Bowl, and the final score ended up 55-10

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
“Peyton Manning, considered the best quarterback to play the game today. Nobody would argue with that — if you like winning good during the season and losing Super Bowls, that’s your guy,” - Terry Bradshaw
Loved Bradshaw, but that's coming from a guy whose career stats looked like the first coming of Tebow. If you take away the team accomplishments Terry doesn't look that good. The only way he stays relevant as a qb is marginalizing individual performance and conflating it with team play.

But he forgets, among the regular season accolades are a couple of SB appearances and a ring. Just personal nonsense from one HOF qb at odds with the majority to play his position in the Hall. Let's take a look at the two...I'll throw in Tom too, just to get a rounder sense of comparative performances regular and post season as it relates to individual performance.

Peyton Manning
regular season:
cmp%: 65.5, yds av: 7.7, td/int: 515-224, rating: 97.7
playoff
cmp%: 64.3, yds av: 7.2, td/int: 37- 24, rating: 89.2

Terry Bradshaw
regular season
cmp%: 51.9, yds per: 6.01, td/int: 212-210, rating avg: 70.9
playoff
cmp%: 57.2, yds per: 8.4, td/int: 30-26, rating avg: 83.0

Tom Brady
regular season
cmp%: 63.5, yds per: 7.4, td/int: 381-137, rating: 96.1
playoffs
cmp%:62.1, yds per: 6.7, td/int: 43-22, rating: 86.7

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Loved Bradshaw,

Like I said, I don't think Peyton Manning had anything to do with Bradshaw's comment.

It was strictly a shot at Elway.

Bradshaw can't stand Elway.

As for stats, Bradshaw knows he wins all arguments against every QB except Montana, because in Bradshaw's mind, his four rings trump all other stats.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Like I said, I don't think Peyton Manning had anything to do with Bradshaw's comment.

It was strictly a shot at Elway.

Bradshaw can't stand Elway.

As for stats, Bradshaw knows he wins all arguments against every QB except Montana, because in Bradshaw's mind, his four rings trump all other stats.
Because he's delusional. No one puts him in that conversation. It's a bit like arguing that Bill Russel is the greatest basketball player who ever lived...

What really mildly surprised me the first time I compiled position performance stats is how close Brady and Manning are. The closer we come to the end of their respective careers, the more I actually like that. I know it won't likely happen, but wouldn't it be grand if they retired and went into the Hall in the same year?

Top that induction ceremony. :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes he is.

However, as a QB and a TV analyst, he's done well.
Oh, I love me some Bradshaw, as they say. Disappointed by the comments, but his Steelers, well, that was my team as a kid. I broke up with them :chuckle: when they got rid of him. It felt like he was given a short shrift by Knoll and I shook shoes at them and found another team to pull for, though I remained an AFC guy.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Poor Chuck Noll.

Not only does he get no respect despite being the only coach to ever win 4 Super Bowls, most people don't even spell his name correctly.
Well, at least I didn't write it Troll. :eek: But to be fair to the Niners, Steve Young's team was really a Walsh hold over, the same way the last Cowboy SB win was Johnson's in essence. Same team and scheme and Walsh might have done better than four if he'd wanted to stay after it.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Walsh might have done better than four if he'd wanted to stay after it.

Had Walsh stayed, he might have won 3 or 4 more Super Bowls, or he might not have won any.

Had Jimmy Johnson stayed, he might have won 3 or 4 more, or he might not have won any.

George Seifert won two Super Bowls, and most considered him a failure.

Switzer took the Cowboys to two NFC Championship Games, and won a Super Bowl, and he was considered a failure. Since Switzer, the Cowboys have won ONE postseason game in 18 years.

Tomlin is said to have won Super Bowl XVIII with Cowher's players.

Noll coached the Steelers 13 more years after the Steelers won their 4th Super Bowl, and he never won another one.

Don Shula coached the Dolphins 23 more seasons after taking the Dolphins to three straight Super Bowls, winning two straight, and having the only perfect season, but never won another Super Bowl. (he also took the Colts to Super Bowl III)

Belichick has coached the Patriots 10 years after the Patriots won their last Super Bowl, and the Patriots have never won another Super Bowl.

Had Noll retired in 1979, people would have speculated how many more he would have won.

Same thing for Shula. Had he retired after his second Super Bowl win in 1973, people would have speculated how many more he would have won.

Same for Belichick, had he retired in 2004, people would have speculated how many more he would have won.

Seifert, Switzer, and Tomlin deserve more credit than they get for winning Super Bowls, and Walsh and Johnson receive more positive speculation then they deserve.

As for Noll, Shula, and Belichick, well.....Belichick still has a chance to redeem himself.

To make a long story short, there is no way of knowing if Walsh and Johnson would have ended up like Shula, Noll, and Belichick, or possibly winning many more Super Bowls. We will never know.

However, as it stands, Chuck Noll is the only coach to win 4 Super Bowls.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Had Walsh stayed, he might have won 3 or 4 more Super Bowls, or he might not have won any. Had Jimmy Johnson stayed, he might have won 3 or 4 more, or he might not have won any.
Not sure about more, but you can't reasonably say Seifert was Walsh's equal and he moved that team to the SB and won it, so the fourth is really his. Same goes for Johnson.

George Seifert won two Super Bowls, and most considered him a failure.
I wouldn't call him that, but he won one as a head coach essentially holding serve with the players and system Walsh left. Same for Switzer.

Had Noll retired in 1979, people would have speculated how many more he would have won.
They might, but if his assistant had walked in and just run the same machine he built into another SB it would reasonably be called his.

To make a long story short, there is no way of knowing if Walsh and Johnson would have ended up like Shula, Noll, and Belichick, or possibly winning many more Super Bowls. We will never know.
It's like this: if you have an inferior coach running the same system with the same players the better coach left him and the inferior coach gets a SB ring out of it then it's unreasonable to suggest the better coach would have netted an inferior result.

However, as it stands, Chuck Noll is the only coach to win 4 Super Bowls.
Which was the real point of your curious rationale on the point. And anyone who follows the game has no reason to doubt that only Walsh stopped Walsh from matching or perhaps bettering the feat.

Daniel1611

The stats don't matter. The NFL was a different world in the 70s. Running was the main way to move the ball, and the Steelers were a big running team and a big defense team. Bradshaws stats might not be fantastic besides the wins and superbowls, but watch the guy play. Go watch some old films and see how he could make plays. Roethlisberger kinda reminds me of bradshaw, in that, neither of their stats are all that great but if you watch them, they make plays and win games and are both very underrated. Although, the last few weeks Ben's stats have been fantastic, 12 TDs in 2 games. Hopefully he keeps it up this week and up through the Superbowl.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Yes, but sometimes stats are fun.

For example:

Most all-time postseason wins by a QB = Tom Brady 18

Most all-time postseason losses by a QB = Peyton Manning 12

can you give us the second place numbers for both categories?

it could also be fun

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Idk what happened to Pittsburgh. It's like they can only defeat good teams.

They tend to play to the level of their competition. Terrible loss. They just couldn't overcome that terrible start where they went down 0-17. They only gave up 3 points after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.