Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes, but sometimes stats are fun.

For example:

Most all-time postseason wins by a QB = Tom Brady 18

Most all-time postseason losses by a QB = Peyton Manning 12
now that is fun
Consider the myopic assertion Tet just having a little fun to pass the time until his Steelers are consistently relevant again. He knows I've set out the position numbers that tell the actual story of how Peyton out performs, regular and play offs, his peers. Team stats are another thing.

So we don't call Russel the greatest basketball player ever or Barkley and a host of other NBA greats chokers for failing to win a ring.

Of course Brady deserves the recognition he receives. It's a shame more people don't bother to inform themselves on Manning. Or maybe they do. He's immensely popular. More people are rooting for Denver than any other team since he came to it. Maybe it's just a few talking heads who need copy and people with their own agendas, grousing and attempting to taint from the minority position.

Speaking of fun, did you catch the Notre Dame game? A real hum dinger, wasn't it. :)

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
can you give us the second place numbers for both categories?

it could also be fun

2nd Most all-time postseason wins by a QB = Joe Montana 16

2nd Most all-time postseason loses by a QB = Brett Favre 11

For even more fun:

3rd Most all-time postseason wins by a QB = John Elway & Terry Bradshaw 14

3rd Most all-time postseason loses by a QB = Dan Marino 10

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Some fun numbers you might have missed that actually mean something when looking at how someone plays the position:

Peyton Manning
regular season:
cmp%: 65.5, yds av: 7.7, td/int: 515-224, rating: 97.7
playoff
cmp%: 64.3, yds av: 7.2, td/int: 37- 24, rating: 89.2

Tom Brady
regular season
cmp%: 63.5, yds per: 7.4, td/int: 381-137, rating: 96.1
playoffs
cmp%:62.1, yds per: 6.7, td/int: 43-22, rating: 86.7

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
He's immensely popular.

Because he's a really nice guy, and they feel sorry for him.

Look TH, unless the Broncos face the Steelers in the postseason, I hope Peyton wins the Super Bowl.

I like Peyton. I wish him well.

I really hope he doesn't have another postseason nightmare like the last two years. However, if he does, I will be the first to point out that he once again choked in the postseason.

In a few months we will see. Hopefully you will be right and I will be wrong. I sincerely mean that.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Some fun numbers you might have missed that actually mean something when looking at how someone plays the position:

Peyton Manning
regular season:

playoff

Tom Brady
regular season

playoffs

You forgot to mention that Peyton is 2-1 all time against Brady in AFC Championship Games.

The Steelers are 0-2 against Brady in AFC Championship Games.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
They tend to play to the level of their competition. Terrible loss. They just couldn't overcome that terrible start where they went down 0-17. They only gave up 3 points after that.

It was a weird game.

The weirdest thing about the game was when James Harrison played fullback, and Roethlisberger threw a pass to him in the end zone that was broken up by the Jet's defender.

When did James Harrison become our fullback?

The Berean

Consider the myopic assertion Tet just having a little fun to pass the time until his Steelers are consistently relevant again. He knows I've set out the position numbers that tell the actual story of how Peyton out performs, regular and play offs, his peers. Team stats are another thing.

So we don't call Russel the greatest basketball player ever or Barkley and a host of other NBA greats chokers for failing to win a ring.

Of course Brady deserves the recognition he receives. It's a shame more people don't bother to inform themselves on Manning. Or maybe they do. He's immensely popular. More people are rooting for Denver than any other team since he came to it. Maybe it's just a few talking heads who need copy and people with their own agendas, grousing and attempting to taint from the minority position.

Speaking of fun, did you catch the Notre Dame game? A real hum dinger, wasn't it. :)

Actually, in a poll of sports writers (I believe) in the early-to-mid 1970's Bill Russell was declared the greatest player in NBA up to that point. :p

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Actually, in a poll of sports writers (I believe) in the early-to-mid 1970's Bill Russell was declared the greatest player in NBA up to that point. :p

I would guess there are a lot of people in the Boston area over the age of 70 who still consider Russell the greatest player ever.

In fact, they may have Jordan #3, behind Russell and Bird.

The Berean

Look TH, unless the Broncos face the Steelers in the postseason, I hope Peyton wins the Super Bowl.

I like Peyton. I wish him well.

I really hope he doesn't have another postseason nightmare like the last two years. However, if he does, I will be the first to point out that he once again choked in the postseason.

In a few months we will see. Hopefully you will be right and I will be wrong. I sincerely mean that.
I've always liked Peyton Manning, not so much for how plays, he's a AWESOME QB, but how he carries himself in public. Almost always professional and courteous. Recently, Peyton opened up about his Christian faith.

http://www.gospelherald.com/article...hristian-faith-importance-prayer-humility.htm

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I've always liked Peyton Manning, not so much for how plays, he's a AWESOME QB, but how he carries himself in public. Almost always professional and courteous. Recently, Peyton opened up about his Christian faith.

http://www.gospelherald.com/article...hristian-faith-importance-prayer-humility.htm

I agree.

He's a good guy.

I remember when he hosted SNL. He was funny. The commercials he used to do with Eli were funny.

My favorite Peyton Manning interview of all time:

Our idiot kicker

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
At that point you could have made the argument, though no one suggests that Robert Horry's rings make him an all time great.

I think it's fine to judge teams and dynasties by that yardstick, but not Barry Sanders or Charles Barkley or Dan Marino, unless it's an all things being equal because you need something to distinguish.

You forgot to mention that Peyton is 2-1 all time against Brady in AFC Championship Games.
I'd mentioned that before too, but I thought the straight numbers speak volumes to the positional disconnect some people have running through their noggins and that's really a team stat anyway.

Your bias is talking. They like him. That's what we know.

Look TH, unless the Broncos face the Steelers in the postseason, I hope Peyton wins the Super Bowl. I like Peyton. I wish him well.
I think you may even believe that, but then you write something like:

And you're just not presenting the objectively verifiable truth of the matter, which makes it hard to credit you like him, except perhaps as an individual. Reminds me of the compartmentalization some had over Tebow. :p

Last year Peyton had two great playoff performances and then a meh Super Bowl owing more to the pressure being applied and the lack of time to get the ball off.

Against SD, a 93.5 rating and in the championship game against Brady a 118.4 rating in the victory. That's not a choker. Neither was the SB. It was just a complete failure of his cobbled O line against a great pass rush.

The loss the year prior?

Stats: 290 yds, 65.1 cmp%, 3 td, 2 int and an 88.3 rating. Not his greatest outing, but a good one and one that had the game won late until a defensive breakdown sent the whole thing to ground.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And you're just not presenting the objectively verifiable truth of the matter, which makes it hard to credit you like him, except perhaps as an individual. Reminds me of the compartmentalization some had over Tebow.

Liking him, and thinking he's a postseason choker are not mutually exclusive.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Liking him, and thinking he's a postseason choker are not mutually exclusive.
They are when the numbers don't support it. Then there's something else in play, at least as it relates to the game.

You mentioned the last two years in support. Here they are at a glance:

Last year, against SD, a 93.5 rating and in the AFC championship game against Brady a 118.4 rating in the victory. That's not a choker's resume. Neither was the SB. It was just a complete failure of his cobbled O line against a great pass rush.

The loss the year prior? An overtime loss against a 10-6 Baltimore

Stats: 290 yds, 65.1 cmp%, 3 td, 2 int and an 88.3 rating.

But even that is misleading, given it was a 3 td to 1 int in the 4th quarter when Peyton had put up what should have been the winning drive in a game that had been even on the scoreboard through three quarters. But then a defensive error sends Jones streaking into the end zone and we're in overtime, where in second overtime an int on Manning's part helped decide the matter. Choke? Not by any reasonable definition.

Not his greatest outing, but a good one and one that was good enough to have the game won late until a defensive breakdown sent the whole thing to ground. And that was higher outside of the OT, when it was 3 td to 1 int. To describe that effort as a choke when both teams had played evenly quarter by quarter is just goofy.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Debating sports can be fun but you guys and your endless arguing about Peyton Manning really take it over the edge. :eek:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Debating sports can be fun but you guys and your endless arguing about Peyton Manning really take it over the edge. :eek:
I can imagine...but to be fair, Tet's all right in my book, just a little nuts on the point and determined to drive everyone else likewise.

Okay, a decent week of prognosticating going into tonight's game finds me 10-2 against the line.

Where did I miss? Well, the Saints loss surprised me, though only a little and mostly because of how they lost. I blame offensive miscues for much of what ails New Orleans, though given the weak sister W-L record they're still, laughably, atop their division.

The Steelers' loss to the Jets caught me napping (which is how I tend to watch Jets' games). Hard to figure how you play that poorly. Embarrasing, unprofessional and impossible to watch. And that's just the winning side. :eek:

And those were my only losses against the line in a week that frankly had, top to bottom, the least compelling match ups of any week so far.

Tonight I like Philly to beat the visiting Panthers 31-24 with Philly just covering the 6.5 line at home.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Steelers couldn't handle the Jets? Unreal.
After the last couple of games...only a little more surprising than if Oakland had upset Denver.

Also, the universe seems to hate Carson Palmer.
Well, he did just sign a pretty big contract with a huge sum of guaranteed money, so maybe it doesn't so much hate him as the Cardinals.

Tough break though.

Status
Not open for further replies.