ECT Must one "go to church" to be with God?

Must one "go to church" to be with God?

• Yes, but only if it is my particular location. God is found only where I attend.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nikolai_42

The hope is it doesn't get that far - the church discipline is the last resort...but that is one step in the sequence of being separated from the brethren.

Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.
Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Matthew 18:15-20

And then comes the casting out of the one who will not submit. I Corinthians 5:1-7 is a good example of that.

Of course, if one doesn't go to the trouble of being part of a church, the "two or three witnesses" and "take it to the church" parts are very difficult to execute. Jude 19 hints that those who want to go off by themselves are devoid of the Spirit of God.

genuineoriginal

It's not a destination.

Correct. Purgatory is not a destination for anyone, because there is no such thing as purgatory.

People will either receive eternal life in the kingdom of God on earth or be fully destroyed when they are cast into the lake of fire.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Correct. Purgatory is not a destination for anyone, because there is no such thing as purgatory.

People will either receive eternal life in the kingdom of God on earth or be fully destroyed when they are cast into the lake of fire.
Very nice opinions. Bravo.

Damiano

Is Christ not in you?

I hope.Is easy to say God is everywere and everywere I can meet Him, also in me.
But say Christ is in me could be a prtesumption and pride sin. I think doesn't compete me to consider if I deserve to have Christ in me.

journey

ALL true Christians are indwelt by the Holy Spirit of God. Further, their hearts are sealed as a purchased possession of Jesus Christ forever. If there is any bragging or glory, it all goes to God.

heir

TOL Subscriber
I hope.Is easy to say God is everywere and everywere I can meet Him, also in me.
But say Christ is in me could be a prtesumption and pride sin. I think doesn't compete me to consider if I deserve to have Christ in me.
Why would you think it "presumption and a pride sin" that through Paul God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory?
Colossians 1:24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

Colossians 1:25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;

Colossians 1:26 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:

Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

Colossians 1:28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

Colossians 1:29 Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

Get saved and Christ will be in you, too!

2 Corinthians 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

Danoh

This is one area where I even disagree with a fellow I really enjoy reading, R. C. Sproul, who argues that there is such a thing as sacred places. See what I did there? ;)

Of course, this has nothing to do with our obligation to assemble for access to the ordinary means of grace via Word and Sacrament, be subject to discipline, and receive instruction from ordained servants. This means "church" is not sitting around at McDonald's or coffee shops talking about or studying Scripture.

AMR

Lol, I prefer Burger King.

john w

Hall of Fame
burger-king-have-it-your-way.jpg

Damiano

Why would you think it "presumption and a pride sin" that through Paul God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory?
Colossians 1:24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

Colossians 1:25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;

Colossians 1:26 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:

Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

Colossians 1:28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

Colossians 1:29 Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

Get saved and Christ will be in you, too!

2 Corinthians 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

Paul also says that to be reconciled with Christ you must be perseverant in faith and steadfast in the hope of the gospel.(Colossians 1:23. I'm not able to judge if my perseverance and my hope in the gospel are sufficient.