ECT Must one "go to church" to be with God?

Must one "go to church" to be with God?

• Yes, but only if it is my particular location. God is found only where I attend.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

musterion

But hey, AMR, since you're slummings in my thread again, what say you?

"Would Paul count our contemporary Christianity – with its proliferation of “Houses of God” and “Sanctuaries” – among the likes of the pagan temples of Athens? Are not these Christian “Houses of Worship” just as pagan, and as heathen as those of Athens? Would he speak the word of rebuke to us as well?

Is that implication fair or unwarranted? That is, as far as those denominations and churches go where it is believed the building itself, or something contained within the building, is where one meets God? Discounting, of course, assembled members of Christ's Body who may meet there (if there are any).

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thank you!

For accuracy and further research of the source, the actual citation should be:
https://dailygoodies.wordpress.com/2016/03/01/not-in-man-made-temples/

I do not care if you cite or not. Just try not to post using the quote function such that no one can actually reply and have the quoted portion included. This forces us to troll about to get to the bottom of things, looking for where the quote came from. Had you simply pasted the posts into a window without quoting them without some personal text all would be just peachy.

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
But hey, AMR, since you're slummings in my thread again, what say you?

Is that implication fair or unwarranted? That is, as far as those denominations and churches go where it is believed the building itself, or something contained within the building, is where one meets God? Discounting, of course, assembled members of Christ's Body who may meet there (if there are any).
This is one area where I even disagree with a fellow I really enjoy reading, R. C. Sproul, who argues that there is such a thing as sacred places. See what I did there? ;)

Of course, this has nothing to do with our obligation to assemble for access to the ordinary means of grace via Word and Sacrament, be subject to discipline, and receive instruction from ordained servants. This means "church" is not sitting around at McDonald's or coffee shops talking about or studying Scripture.

AMR

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Calvin had one man (who disagreed with him) burned at the stake. Calvin asked that "green wood" would be used. Green wood burns much slower, guaranteeing a slow and torturous death. Calvin also participated in the burning's of so-called witches of his time. He was a savage, sadistic, evil and wicked man.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Was Calvin a member of the Body of Christ? I highly doubt it. Even though Charlie Manson may say something of truth once in a great while, ought we to follow such a man? I say, we ought to ignore everything that man stands for. The same goes for Calvin.

john w

Hall of Fame
Was Calvin a member of the Body of Christ? I highly doubt it. Even though Charlie Manson may say something of truth once in a great while, ought we to follow such a man? I say, we ought to ignore everything that man stands for. The same goes for Calvin.

I thought Calvin Coolidge was a Republican, pops?

musterion

This is one area where I even disagree with a fellow I really enjoy reading, R. C. Sproul, who argues that there is such a thing as sacred places. See what I did there? ;)

Sure did, and I know you well enough that I'd have bet that's what you'd say.

This means "church" is not sitting around at McDonald's or coffee shops talking about or studying Scripture.

Yeah, can't have anyone not paying tithes at the feet of the ecclesiarchy.

“For where two or three have gathered together in My name, there I am in their midst.”

Where two or three...: The Lord here was speaking only of the Reformed in the obvious context of our obligation to assemble for access to the ordinary means of grace via Word and Sacrament, be subject to discipline, and receive instruction from ordained servants. Only heretics and reprobates question this fact.

Footnote for Matthew 18:20, The Reformed Unquestioned Assumptions and Prooftexts Study Bible, Reformation Trust [Ligonier].

musterion

tumblr_m5ogf28kyE1ry0brvo1_1280.jpg

Pops Racer, quietly disappointed at how feygele Speed turned out.