ECT Moment of Salvation Compared to Water Baptism

turbosixx

You acknowledge that Cornelius and his whole household was saved before their water baptism. So why try to make your point by trying to put me down to defend your beliefs? It is a sign that you are in falseness.

God did not give any other convert the Holy Spirit before baptism, then why did he for Cornelius?

Paul had the Holy Spirit BEFORE he was water baptized. The scripture says so plainly. Why don't you see it?

The scripture plainly says Paul needed to rise and be baptized to wash away his sins.
Acts 22:16 And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’

Why don't you see it?

God's Truth

God did not give any other convert the Holy Spirit before baptism, then why did he for Cornelius?

The scripture plainly says Paul needed to rise and be baptized to wash away his sins.
Acts 22:16 And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’

Why don't you see it?

You deliberately left out the scripture that says Paul received the Holy Spirit before a water baptism.

Being given the Holy Spirit is when Jesus lives inside of our heart.

Jesus is the one who washes our sins away.

Jesus isn't going to live in a person that was not saved.

turbosixx

You deliberately left out the scripture that says Paul received the Holy Spirit before a water baptism.

Being given the Holy Spirit is when Jesus lives inside of our heart.

Jesus is the one who washes our sins away.

Jesus isn't going to live in a person that was not saved.

I didn't "deliberately" leave it out. It doesn't change the fact that he needed to be baptized to wash away his sins. If he didn't still have his sins, then Ananias wouldn't have said what are you waiting for wash away your sins?

16 And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’

turbosixx

You acknowledge that Cornelius and his whole household was saved before their water baptism. So why try to make your point by trying to put me down to defend your beliefs? It is a sign that you are in falseness.

Paul had the Holy Spirit BEFORE he was water baptized. The scripture says so plainly. Why don't you see it?

The water baptism is a ceremony of what has already happened.

I'm curious. In your understanding, where these people saved before they received the Holy Spirit from the apostles?

Acts 8:15 who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 for he had not yet fallen on any of them, but they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

God's Truth

I didn't "deliberately" leave it out. It doesn't change the fact that he needed to be baptized to wash away his sins. If he didn't still have his sins, then Ananias wouldn't have said what are you waiting for wash away your sins?

16 And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’

Explain to me the way you think sins are washed away.

God's Truth

I'm curious. In your understanding, where these people saved before they received the Holy Spirit from the apostles?

Acts 8:15 who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 for he had not yet fallen on any of them, but they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Those people were not saved yet; they had only been baptized by someone saying be baptized in the name of Jesus. They had been baptized with water and with words, but not saving baptism by being given the Holy Spirit. Do you understand?

turbosixx

Explain to me the way you think sins are washed away.

Because Jesus said make Christians by baptizing them in his name, Matt. 28:19. To get into Christ we must be baptized in his name. In Christ we are redeemed by his blood, Eph. 1:7. Baptism is an appeal to God for a clear conscience, 1 Pt. 3:21. I could go on but you get the idea. It's how we are put into Christ, Acts 2:41.

God's Truth

Because Jesus said make Christians by baptizing them in his name, Matt. 28:19. To get into Christ we must be baptized in his name. In Christ we are redeemed by his blood, Eph. 1:7. Baptism is an appeal to God for a clear conscience, 1 Pt. 3:21. I could go on but you get the idea. It's how we are put into Christ, Acts 2:41.

Okay now, let's go deeper in the discussion. Tell me how people's sins are washed.
You told me about people having to be baptized in his name; you told me that Christ redeems us by his blood, and how we want a clear conscience. Now tell me what the scriptures say about our sins being washed away. How is it done? Who does it? When is it done?

turbosixx

Those people were not saved yet; they had only been baptized by someone saying be baptized in the name of Jesus. They had been baptized with water and with words, but not saving baptism by being given the Holy Spirit. Do you understand?

I disagree. There are many who were taught and baptized without an apostle. The eunuch in Acts 8 was also baptized by Phillip. He wasn't instructed to seek out an apostle to be saved.

I would suggest you're confusing spiritual gifts with salvation. While I agree someone not saved will not be given spiritual gifts, I don't believe they are necessary to be saved.

turbosixx

Okay now, let's go deeper in the discussion. Tell me how people's sins are washed.
You told me about people having to be baptized in his name; you told me about that Christ redeems us by his blood, and how we want a clear conscience. Now tell me what the scriptures say about our sins being washed away. How is it done? Who does it? When is it done?

I have already given you this information. The short answer is those who are in Christ have their sins washed away. So my question to you is, how do we get added to Christ?

God's Truth

I disagree.

No one is saved without having the Holy Spirit. They did not yet have the Holy Spirit.

There are many who were taught and baptized without an apostle. The eunuch in Acts 8 was also baptized by Phillip. He wasn't instructed to seek out an apostle to be saved.

This isn't about finding an apostle. This is about how they were not given the Holy Spirit.
Why are you making it about the apostles?

I would suggest you're confusing spiritual gifts with salvation.

No. You are confusing the gift of the Holy Spirit with gifts of the Holy Spirit.

While I agree someone not saved will not be given spiritual gifts, I don't believe they are necessary to be saved.

A person must be given the Holy Spirit to be saved.
Do you understand that?

Lon

If you feel this is a dead horse, feel free not to post. Someone asked me to begin this debate so here it goes.

At what point does someone go from being lost to saved?
In this thread I would like to determine the point of salvation. I know God can save whomever he wants but I'm hopping we can establish God's plan for how man becomes a Christian. Surely God has revealed it to us and given us examples of conversions to better understand how. Obviously there is a lot to this so it will be a tall order to get our points across in this format. I appreciate everyone's patience and understanding.

I would like start off with at what point did Jesus say someone is saved.
Mark 16:16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

The language is simple. If salvation comes after belief Jesus would have said "whoever believes is saved and then should be baptized".

When vs If

When "will be." Mark 16:16 If this is correct, it would be at that point. As far as you and I are concerned, it would be "believe and baptized." Many believe that is the 'when.' A Mid Acts Dispensationalist will see Mark as pointedly to Jews alone in text. Or perhaps another will say 'before creation, found in Christ in God.' Acts 16:31 "Believe and you will be saved."

If (under what condition?)
Perhaps it is more important to thread to discuss under what conditions one is saved rather? When could be important to the question of indicating when something happened, or better 'when that condition was met.' Certainly the Lord Jesus Christ met that condition, yet all are not saved. Something else happened and so, in time, we experienced a moment when we understood we believers were in God's hands. I've met a few people who cannot remember 'when' but can remember the conditions met: They know they'd trusted Him. They knew they'd turned to Him but it wasn't dramatic for them. Some raised in a Christian home, read scriptures and realized they'd put their trust in the saving work of the Lord Jesus Christ, but perhaps were so young, couldn't remember 'when.'

For me, the question of when isn't as much of the focus as 'what' (under what condition met) that one knows they are saved. Romans 10:9,10,13. Salvation is something Jesus does (I'm a monergist, The Lord Jesus Christ saves us, Himself). I couldn't make myself saved or a Christian, as far as I know. I called, but that was the day of realization of my need. There is very little that came out of me that day that I'd be able to say I had much to do with my salvation. It was all about Jesus that day. I met Him, and was drawn to Him.

If you are speaking more to whether someone not baptized is saved or not, that's a different animal to discuss. The OP, for me, doesn't spell that out as clearly. :think:

God's Truth

You have to obey to be added to Christ? What do you have to obey?

Could you please provide supporting scripture.

Christ isn't even offering it to you until you do right. He saves those who obey his teachings.

Acts 5:32 We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him."

Acts 10:35 but that in every nation those who fear Him and live good lives are acceptable to Him.

Acts 13:26 "Fellow children of Abraham and you God-fearing Gentiles, it is to us that this message of salvation has been sent.

Psalm 50:23 Whoever sacrifices a thank offering honors Me, and whoever orders his conduct, I will show him the salvation of God."

Proverbs 8:17 I love those who love me,

John 3:21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.

John 14:21 The person who has my commandments and obeys them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and will reveal myself to him."

John 14:23 Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.

John 15:10 If you obey my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commandments and remain in his love.

John 18:37 Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."

Cross Reference

Acts 5:32 We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him." ff

And so it is that one cannot obey commands he has no knowledge of unless he is first born again of the Spirit of God. Now I understand. Thank you.

God's Truth

Acts 5:32 We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him." ff

And so it is that one cannot obey commands he has no knowledge of unless he is first born again of the Spirit of God. Now I understand. Thank you.

CR, don't go down that path. That is a false path that many reformers took. Do you not know that the gospel message explains what Jesus' teachings are?