Lesbian Methodist Minister

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Z,
As a psycho-babbler, you would say, since I'm not willing to be part of your delusion of "vindictiveness" against you, that I'm "normal" yet, I'm not normal for having faith. Anyone who might seek you out for mental council may find themselves worse off...

NavyDude

Originally posted by Zakath

So you're not willing to suffer a bit of inconvenience for your religious views? You don't want to have to be inconvenienced and not attend a particular theme park because its owners violate your moral preferences. What a pathetic mockery of the faith of your predecessors...

Sounds like you've already rolled over and let your alleged "enemy" win. All you're doing is looking for a rationalization for your surrender.
:devil:

I like the way you think Zakath. You play a good Devil's Advocate. I've personally never understood why 'good christian people' whine about having to live through all the things that the Bible plainly says will happen, or why they try to resist it. A point to ponder: if the Bible says that the end times leading up to the big scha-bang will be full of perversion and sin, is it not defying God's plan -- thus, sinning -- to try and stop it? Too many people I see would rather God's plan adapt to them, than adapt themselves to God's plan. This is true with every denomination, including my own.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by aharvey

Okay, that's splitting meaningless hairs. That is, for my arguments here "Born straight" and "Born to be straight" are identical. Yes, infants may not experience sexual desire, but their eventual sexual preference is genetically encoded (this is not a hard concept; infant girls do not have periods, but you're not going to argue that menstruation is not under genetic control, are you?). So in less biologically naive terms, you are saying that heterosexuality is genetically hardwired into all humans, and that all deviations from that must come strictly from subsequent environmental, and therefore non-genetic, factors.
Okay. Agreed.

It really is simple, no mental gymnastics required. If heterosexuality is genetically hardwired into all humans (see above), then all homosexuals must be genetic heterosexuals that chose to become homosexual, right?
They did not choose to have those desires. They chose to act on them.

The only way to disagree with the above italicized statement is to say they didn't have a choice, and I can think of only two reasons why this might be: 1) their homosexuality is (drumroll, please!) genetically based, or 2) environmental factors cause them to express homosexual behaviors despite their genetic heterosexuality against their will. This latter would liken homosexuality to a disease condition, right? Does this help clarify my statements?
See above.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by gabriel

lighthouse: do you honestly not understand aharvey's point or are you just "playing dumb" for giggles and grins...? let me give you a concrete example: my gay friends have told me that if they, in fact, HAD been born straight then why would they have willingly CHOSEN to "act" gay and willingly subjected themselves to all the ridicule, harrassment, and misery that they have been subjected to because of their sexual orientation.
I didn't see his point. He explained it more clearly above, so now I know what he meant. And you can see my response to him for the reason your friends are wrong.

IveyLeaguer

Re: Lesbian Methodist Minister

Originally posted by Lucky from Reuters.com During an April, 2003 sermon, Stroud told her congregation that she was living in a committed relationship with another woman. She declined to practice celibacy or transfer to another, more tolerant denomination, and decided to be open about her sexuality.
What other denominations are more tolerant?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Nineveh

Z,
As a psycho-babbler, ...
Sorry to burst your balloon, Nin, but I've studied the subject to many years to be a "psychobabbler". I'll leave that to the lay folks like you. :)

...you would say, since I'm not willing to be part of your delusion of "vindictiveness" against you, that I'm "normal" yet, I'm not normal for having faith.
That wasn't what I wrote... I have no problem with faith, merely misplaced faith.

Anyone who might seek you out for mental council may find themselves worse off...
Maybe, maybe not...

Unlike some folks who claim "miraculous" cures through prayer, positive thinking, or reciting verses from some "holy" book, I believe there are too many factors involved in successful counselling to assess a statement like yours wthout actually dealing with a real individual.

aharvey

Originally posted by lighthouse

Okay. Agreed.

They did not choose to have those desires. They chose to act on them.

See above.

Okay, good, now we're getting somewhere. But just to be painfully clear (after all, look how long it took to get here; I don't want to veer back into the Land of Misinterpretation again!), you are saying that:

1. Everyone is genetically hardwired to be heterosexual. And you are confident that this applies to everyone, worldwide, throughout history, right?

2. Some external forces, and external forces only, can cause some individuals to become attracted to the same sex, even though they are still genetically programmed to be heterosexuals.

3.1. Some individuals who, because of these strictly external forces, become attracted to members of the opposite sex, act against their genes and pursue same-sex relationships.

3.2. Other individuals who, because of these strictly external forces, become attracted to members of the opposite sex, somehow decide to resist their own sexual preferences and either a) have relationships with members of the opposite sex, repulsive as that might now be to them, b) do not have relationships at all, or c) find some sort of "cure," restoring their genetic programming to the forefront.

Is this a fair assessment of your opinions about why homosexuality is expressed?

Nineveh

Merely Christian

Sorry to burst your balloon, Nin, but I've studied the subject to many years to be a "psychobabbler". I'll leave that to the lay folks like you. :)

Are you saying your aren't a psychiatrist?

That wasn't what I wrote... I have no problem with faith, merely misplaced faith.

And who died and made you god? :)

Maybe, maybe not...

Definatly to a Christ follower. Are you this bigoted with your patients?

Unlike some folks who claim "miraculous" cures through prayer, positive thinking, or reciting verses from some "holy" book, I believe there are too many factors involved in successful counselling to assess a statement like yours wthout actually dealing with a real individual.

No thanks, keep your snake oil.

Anyone of faith seeking you out should know up front you think they are a loon from the start.

Zakath

Resident Atheist

Are you saying your aren't a psychiatrist?
That's correct. I'm a psychologist... actually a fair amount of difference.

And who died and made you god? :)
Another profound theological argument disguised as an ad homimen, eh?

Definatly to a Christ follower. Are you this bigoted with your patients?
I don't generally discuss religion with my clients. I'm a real psychologist, not a "pastoral counselor" masquerading as a trained professional.

No thanks, keep your snake oil.
Wasn't selling any this week... you'll do better finding snake oil at your local religious establishment.

Anyone of faith seeking you out should know up front you think they are a loon from the start.
I'll let you in on a "trick of the trade", Nin... not all delusions are harmful. I don't waste time on the harmless ones. ;)

Nineveh

Merely Christian

I'll let you in on a "trick of the trade", Nin... not all delusions are harmful. I don't waste time on the harmless ones. ;)

Physician, heal thyself :)

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by aharvey

Okay, good, now we're getting somewhere. But just to be painfully clear (after all, look how long it took to get here; I don't want to veer back into the Land of Misinterpretation again!), you are saying that:

1. Everyone is genetically hardwired to be heterosexual. And you are confident that this applies to everyone, worldwide, throughout history, right?
Actually, why reading your post, I thought of something. I am not entirely sure that sexuality is determined genetically, in anyone. But we are all born [genetics] to procreate. And infertile people are the exception to the rule.

2. Some external forces, and external forces only, can cause some individuals to become attracted to the same sex, even though they are still genetically programmed to be heterosexuals.
Aside from the genetinc programming, yes. But I still believe that those who are not affected by these things will be heterosexual. Also, there are other external forces, or events, that can lead to promiscuity, sexual addiction and the like that is expressed in heterosexual behavior.

3.1. Some individuals who, because of these strictly external forces, become attracted to members of the opposite sex, act against their genes and pursue same-sex relationships.
Well, I have come to the idea that it is not agains their genetic wiring. But it is against what they were designed for: procreation.

3.2. Other individuals who, because of these strictly external forces, become attracted to members of the opposite sex, somehow decide to resist their own sexual preferences and either a) have relationships with members of the opposite sex, repulsive as that might now be to them, b) do not have relationships at all, or c) find some sort of "cure," restoring their genetic programming to the forefront.
What?

Is this a fair assessment of your opinions about why homosexuality is expressed?
1-3.1 was, but I have changed my mind. 3.2 doesn't make any sense. It may just be typos, that make it hard to understand, though.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Belly Laugh of the Day

Belly Laugh of the Day

Originally posted by :zakath:

I'll let you in on a "trick of the trade", Nin... not all delusions are harmful. I don't waste time on the harmless ones.

Physician, heal thyself :)

:darwinsm: BLOTD!!!

aharvey

Actually, why reading your post, I thought of something. I am not entirely sure that sexuality is determined genetically, in anyone. But we are all born [genetics] to procreate. And infertile people are the exception to the rule.
Born to breed? Hmm. As an alternative to being born straight, I'm doubtful that your new version makes any biological sense. Typically, and excluding the wonders of modern technology, people make babies because of things they do with people that they find sexually attractive. They do those things because they feel good, not because they want to make a baby. Infertile people have no less of a sex drive than fertile people, as far as I know. Their motivations for wanting to have sex is no different from those of fertile people, as far as I know. No, the way genetics actually works, it makes far more sense that it is the desire to have sex that is in our genes, not the desire to make babies.

Aside from the genetinc programming, yes. But I still believe that those who are not affected by these things will be heterosexual.
In the absence of any genetic basis for heterosexuality? How would this be possible?

Also, there are other external forces, or events, that can lead to promiscuity, sexual addiction and the like that is expressed in heterosexual behavior.
I didn't mean to imply that all external forces lead to homosexuality!

Well, I have come to the idea that it is not agains their genetic wiring. But it is against what they were designed for: procreation.
So, for example, when a man sees a hot woman at a bar, his most basic thoughts are not "Wow, I'd love to sleep with her," they are "Wow, I'd love for her to carry my baby"? And when someone is grossed out at the thought of two men having sex, it's due to the realization that such actions could never lead to a child?

What?
Let's try again. Some heterosexuals are exposed to some external forces that cause them to become attracted to members of the same sex. What do they do? They either:

3.1: follow through with homosexual behavior, or they don't. Instead, they:

3.2.a: have relationships with members of the opposite sex, repulsive as that might now be to them (why repulsive? Because they are now attracted to same-sex)
3.2.b: do not have relationships at all, or
3.2.c: find some sort of "cure," restoring their genetic programming to the forefront.

1-3.1 was, but I have changed my mind. 3.2 doesn't make any sense. It may just be typos, that make it hard to understand, though.
Hope I clarified things a bit. I think you will have a very difficult task demonstrating that sexuality has no genetic basis, but breeding does, and that's why most people, with no genetic disposition one way or the other, end up being functionally homosexual. Do you REALLY think that could explain the instinctive, visceral revulsion most people experience when they visualize two men going at it?