James White to Debate Bob Enyart on Open Theism

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Translation: You must accept my premise that God changed. I am not willing to listen to the other side.

Try to deal with what people say, not your "translations." :up:

There are two propositions: one that God can change and one that God cannot change.

The bible teaches the incarnation of Jesus Christ.

The challenge to those who say that God cannot change is to describe how the incarnation did not involve a change.

If you have a challenge for what I believe, let's hear it.

That is how a rational discussion works. :thumb:

Nang

TOL Subscriber
It is difficult for the irrational mind to separate what God does from who He is.

God never functions or acts apart from what He is.

God never differs from what He is, by what He does.

Point being: It is not logical to separate God from His actions; nor is it logical to separate events from God's will and purposes.

S0ZO

God never functions or acts apart from what He is.

God never differs from what He is, by what He does.

Point being: It is not logical to separate God from His actions; nor is it logical to separate events from God's will and purposes.
Like I said, the irrational mind cannot make a distinction between being the same yesterday, today, and forever, from doing the same yesterday, today, and forever.

God once flooded the world. He isn't going to do it again. He said so.
That is a change. Deal with it.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A "manifestation" is not a "change."
Before Jesus was manifested on Earth, He was not a baby in the manger. After He was manifested, He was a baby in the manger. The difference between these two states can reasonably be described as a change.

There is no reason to believe your assertion that a manifestation cannot be a change.

Belief that God has, can, or ever will change is totally unbiblical.
Except for the fact that the bible teaches that Jesus once was not manifested on Earth and then later He was.

Asserting that this is not a change is not explaining that it is not a change.

Last edited:

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Why you flush or not flush determines whether or not there is a change, not the flushing itself. In this case, a change exists.

The God who judged the world with a universal flood, has promised to judge the world with universal fire.

Same Judge . . . different administration.

No change of Person or purpose at all.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Before Jesus was manifested on Earth, He was not a baby in the manger. After He was manifested, He was a baby in the manger. The difference between these two states can reasonably be described as a change.

No change in Eternal Personhood or decreed purpose. . .

There is no reason to believe your assertion that a manifestation cannot be a change.

Except for the fact that the bible teaches that Jesus once was not manifested on Earth and then later He was.

Asserting that this is not a change is not explaining that it is not a change.

Does the fact that your actions of today, were different than your actions yesterday, and more than likely will differ with events in your life tomorrow . . . change who you are?

Lon

There is a necessary change. At one time, Jesus had not become incarnate, then later He had.

How can that not be a change?

What is the problem if it is a change?
James white said it wasn't a change because nothing was subtracted from God when He took on flesh.

Here is my logical progression, which may be skipped if you just want *to go to statements regarding the matter than the thinking behind them:

If we understand everything coming from God, becoming flesh is well within His character already, such that it is not a change, but a manifestation of Himself. If God makes something, it is not eternal. That is, it doesn't come from some substance co-existing with God. Rather, the thing comes from the being of God in the first place. He spoke the physical reality into existence. As such, any one thing that preoccupies (doesn't constrain) God, is no restriction or change. It is rather God interacting with His creation in a limited way.

Because the limited (us) sees 'change' because we are limited and cannot see "all," we make limited assumptions because our own nature cannot see past our restrictions and constrictions but in a very limited manner.

Very briefly, this is the difference between concrete sequential (we use limited terms and physically based understandings of and for our universe), and metaphysical thinking (thinking that allows the necessity for the infinite to move beyond finite comprehensions).

It is because of this finiteness, that I believe Moses couldn't look upon God and live. Exodus 33:20. We have to embrace all of God's truth regarding the nature of God, including His Son Jesus Christ:
Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
This talks of Jesus Christ's immutability. Again, because we finite beings notice 'change' for a lot of very 'finite' reasons, I don't get too frustrated over 'change' language other than if it tramples any truth of scripture. We have to always come back to the fact that we are finite and the infinite has nowhere to move to. It cannot 'change' from being already infinite. Such is an inaccurate understanding of what infinite means.

God is relational to us, and so is understood by finite concepts by us (how could it be otherwise?). But, it is very important to understand that what we know of God is limited, by necessity, as finite created beings. It is impossible that we could conceive of God but in a limited manner, else we would be God. So, intuitively, we know that God's ways are not ours. We know that God isn't a man nor thinks like one. We know He is infinite. We know He has never had a beginning. These all come to us by scripture and by logical intuition.

**This:

John 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Philippians 2:6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,
Philippians 2:7 but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.

Cannot detract or change this:

Whatever truth we come to, it must understand that we are finite creatures and our understanding is finite:
1Corinthians 13:12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.
And:

Exodus 33:18 Moses said, "Please show me your glory."
Exodus 33:19 And he said, "I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name 'The LORD.' And I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy.
Exodus 33:20 But," he said, "you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live."
Exodus 33:22 and while my glory passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by.
Exodus 33:23 Then I will take away my hand, and you shall see my back, but my face shall not be seen.

Ephesians 3:17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith--that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
Eph 3:18 may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth,
Ephesians 3:19 and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
Ephesians 3:20 Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us,
Ephesians 3:21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

(Paul always talks about the Love we have in Christ as the one thing all of us finite creatures can understand fairly well regarding the infinite)

-Lon

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
James white said it wasn't a change because nothing was subtracted from God when He took on flesh.
That's dumb.
Anytime you add to or subtract from something, there is a change.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No change in Eternal Personhood or decreed purpose...
No change to an aspect of God does not mean no change to God.

Does the fact that your actions of today, were different than your actions yesterday, and more than likely will differ with events in your life tomorrow . . . change who you are?
We are not talking about changing who a being is -- we are just looking for any kind of change.

Having nothing subtracted is not the same as having nothing change.

If we understand everything coming from God, becoming flesh is well within His character already, such that it is not a change, but a manifestation of Himself. If God makes something, it is not eternal. That is, it doesn't come from some substance co-existing with God. Rather, the thing comes from the being of God in the first place. He spoke the physical reality into existence. As such, any one thing that preoccupies (doesn't constrain) God, is no restriction or change. It is rather God interacting with His creation in a limited way.

Because the limited (us) sees 'change' because we are limited and cannot see "all," we make limited assumptions because our own nature cannot see past our restrictions and constrictions but in a very limited manner.

Very briefly, this is the difference between concrete sequential (we use limited terms and physically based understandings of and for our universe), and metaphysical thinking (thinking that allows the necessity for the infinite to move beyond finite comprehensions).

It is because of this finiteness, that I believe Moses couldn't look upon God and live. Exodus 33:20. We have to embrace all of God's truth regarding the nature of God, including His Son Jesus Christ:
This talks of Jesus Christ's immutability. Again, because we finite beings notice 'change' for a lot of very 'finite' reasons, I don't get too frustrated over 'change' language other than if it tramples any truth of scripture. We have to always come back to the fact that we are finite and the infinite has nowhere to move to. It cannot 'change' from being already infinite. Such is an inaccurate understanding of what infinite means.

God is relational to us, and so is understood by finite concepts by us (how could it be otherwise?). But, it is very important to understand that what we know of God is limited, by necessity, as finite created beings. It is impossible that we could conceive of God but in a limited manner, else we would be God. So, intuitively, we know that God's ways are not ours. We know that God isn't a man nor thinks like one. We know He is infinite. We know He has never had a beginning. These all come to us by scripture and by logical intuition.
Or we can just ignore all this and say that God changed when He came to Earth.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
No change to an aspect of God does not mean no change to God.

The Personhood or essential being of God is not an "aspect."

Are only Calvinists expected to discuss biblically, theologically, and realistically?

What in the world would you define an "aspect" of God to be?

Does a diamond cut to bring out the best refractions of its light properties, fail to be a diamond?

We are not talking about changing who a being is -- we are just looking for any kind of change.

And that is my argument . . . if we are talking about God the Son; the second Person of the Trinity, and whether or not He has ever changed, I am saying there is no event in His ever-changing creation that has ever, or could ever change His Being and eternal purpose.

Comprehende?

Having nothing subtracted is not the same as having nothing change.

Or we can just ignore all this and say that God changed when He came to Earth.

God walked on this earth when He first created it. There are numerous theophanies of God manifesting Himself in the O.T. on this earth. God also manifested Himself in the Incarnation of Jesus Christ on this earth . . all events occurring in created time.

Don't you really see, that the argument that God changes, is denial that Jesus Christ is God?

This is why the debate is SO important. Denial of the immutability of any Person in the Trinity, is denial of the deity of the entire Trinity.

And to present such an unbelieving argument, bereft of scriptural support, is denial of the power of the Word of God, on top of the error you make.

Claiming that God can change in any fashion, is heretical, unbiblical, erroneous, and totally untenable intellectually, spiritually, and logically.

The Open Theists have lost this debate, and lost their claim to Christian credentials by debating at all.

Lon

That's dumb.
Anytime you add to or subtract from something, there is a change.
Really? You cut open an orange. Did it 'change?' What specifically changed? Did the seeds change? Did the orange juice change? Did the peel stop being a peel? Did the pulp change? You can argue for a negligable change, but it is certainly not 'dumb' to say that the orange didn't change. It is more consistently the same than 'changed' (supposedly).
What 'specifically' changed with the orange? I'm saying not really anything, it is still an orange.

Now: Can flesh be something 'new' to God? How could it possibly be? What is there that He didn't already do a Long Long time ago and would be 'unfamiliar' to Him? When man is created "in His image" what would there be about becoming flesh that would/could actually be 'new' to Him? :idunno:

**This is all dealing with very concrete sequential thinking, btw. I believe it can be shown why becoming flesh isn't new to God, thus not a change, but more importantly, in metaphysically thinking, 'new' and change are limited terms of creation and inappropriate for discussion of the infinite. They may help one grasp the clarity of this so I'm not opposed to using those terms, just saying that metaphysical thinkers already are beyond our discussion here and that I acknowledge what they'd call a short-coming in this particular discussion.
Finite creatures see 'change' because we are limited and cannot see "all." Since for us, being finite and only able to see things from one place to another, we make limited assumptions because our own nature cannot see past our restrictions and constrictions but in a very limited manner
(even more acutely so if metaphysical thinking is restricted).

Most of the planet cannot think in metaphysical terms so I'm trying very hard to use finite language to convey the truth of a larger picture, here).

-Lon

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
So an addition is not a change? That's idiotic thinking.

Here is my logical progression, which may be skipped if you just want *to go to statements regarding the matter than the thinking behind them:

**This:

John 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Philippians 2:6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,
Philippians 2:7 but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.

Cannot detract or change this:

Whatever truth we come to, it must understand that we are finite creatures and our understanding is finite:
1Corinthians 13:12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.
And:

Exodus 33:18 Moses said, "Please show me your glory."
Exodus 33:19 And he said, "I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name 'The LORD.' And I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy.
Exodus 33:20 But," he said, "you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live."
Exodus 33:22 and while my glory passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by.
Exodus 33:23 Then I will take away my hand, and you shall see my back, but my face shall not be seen.

Ephesians 3:17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith--that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
Eph 3:18 may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth,
Ephesians 3:19 and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
Ephesians 3:20 Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us,
Ephesians 3:21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

(Paul always talks about the Love we have in Christ as the one thing all of us finite creatures can understand fairly well regarding the infinite)

-Lon
There is not a single person here arguing that God's character ever has, or even can, change. Not one.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jesus was born of the virgin Mary, (Matthew 1:18 – 24). However, Scripture is opposed to God having a beginning (Isaiah 43:10). Therefore, Mary being the God bearer, gave birth to Christ’s humanity, not His divinity. The two natures, that of humanity and divinity existing in the Person of Jesus Christ is also from Scripture. Jesus states that He was with God before the world began, sharing in His glory (John 17:5). See also Isaiah 42:8 for an interesting parallel. In the verse, we see Scripture teaches God’s glory is not shared with anything or anyone. Rightly so, the early Church Fathers concluded that such statements directly point to Christ's full deity (Colossians 1:19).

The humanity of Christ is also clear from Scripture. The Apostle John provides us with some of the most direct statements related to the nature of Christ. John 1:14 unambiguously in declares what God the Son became...human. From John’s teaching in his Gospel it is impossible to deduce that the assumption of flesh by God the Son actually changed the ontological being of God the Son. Therefore, Scripture recognizes the deity and humanity of Christ, without confusion, without change, without division, without separation is necessary as to teach otherwise would be contrary to the clear teachings of Scripture.

Persons must grasp the precise distinction between nature and person. Nature or substance (essence) denotes the totality of powers and qualities which constitute a being; while person is the Ego, the self-conscious, self-asserting and acting subject. The Logos assumed, not a human person (else we would have two persons, a divine and a human), but human nature which is common to us all; and hence he redeemed, not a particular man, but all men as partakers of the same nature.

The God-Man is the result of the incarnation. Christ is not a (Nestorian) double being, with two persons, nor a compound (Apollinarian or Monophysite) middle being, a tertium quid, neither divine nor human; but he is one person both divine and human.

We must also understand the duality of the natures. The orthodox doctrine maintains, against Eutychianism, the distinction of nature even after the act of incarnation, without confusion or conversion, yet, on the other hand, without division or separation, so that the divine will ever remain divine, and the human ever human and yet the two have continually one common life, and interpenetrate each other, like the persons of the Trinity.

We must also understand the unity of the person. The union of the divine and human nature in Christ is a permanent state resulting from the incarnation, and is a real, supernatural, personal, and inseparable union—in distinction from an essential absorption or confusion, or from a mere moral union; or from a mystical union such as holds between the believer and Christ. The two natures constitute but one personal life, and yet remain distinct. Because the two natures make only one person, we read on the one hand: "The Son of Man came down from heaven" (John 3:13), while yet the Son of God took flesh from the virgin Mary; and on the other hand: "The Son of God was crucified and buried," while yet he suffered, not in his Godhead as coeternal and consubstantial with the Father, but in the weakness of human nature. The self-consciousness of Christ is never divided; his person consists in such a union of the human and the divine natures, that the divine nature is the seat of self-consciousness, and pervades and animates the human.

The whole work of Christ is to be attributed to his person, and not to the one or the other nature exclusively. The person is the acting subject, the nature the organ or medium. It is the one divine-human person of Christ that wrought miracles by virtue of his divine nature, and that suffered through the sensorium of his human nature. The superhuman effect and infinite merit of the Redeemer's work must be ascribed to his person because of his divinity; while it is his humanity alone that made him capable of, and liable to, toil, temptation, suffering, and death, and renders him an example for our imitation. Christ's human nature had no independent personality of its own, besides the divine, and that the divine nature is the root and basis of his personality.

H. Hoeksema is instructive here:
Spoiler

What does the Church mean when it confesses that Jesus, the Son of God, the only begotten of the Father, who was born of a virgin?

It must be emphasized, first of all, that it does not mean that God changed into man, either partly or completely. God cannot change. The essence of God is not transmitted into the essence of man, and the nature of God is not changed into the nature of man. The Son of God did not change into man when He came in the flesh, and at the resurrection change into God. Thus it is often presented. It is often presented as if the Son of God left His glory when He came in our nature, but that is impossible. It is impossible for Him to leave heaven. The Son of God cannot leave His glory. He does not change.

He cannot change into the human nature, or lay aside His divine nature. He remains the eternal Son of God, one with the Father and the Holy Ghost. He remains God, also in the incarnation.

In the second place, the incarnation does not mean that the person of the Son of God joined itself to the person of the Son of man. There is not a dualism of persons. Jesus is one person, even after the incarnation.

In the third place, neither does the incarnation mean that the divine nature mingles with the human. The Son of God does not become a God-man. The idea of a God-man is pantheistic. The divine nature does not become human, and the human nature divine. The finite does not become infinite, and the infinite finite. The temporal does not become eternal, and the eternal temporal. The two natures do not become mixed. The two natures did not unite and become one. There is in the incarnation no union of the divine nature and the human nature. That is, there is no union of the two natures as natures. They were united, but not as natures. They were united in the person of the Son of God. The union was not in the natures, but in the person. The two natures are united in the one person, the Son of God. Hence, there is no mixture of natures.

Still less does the incarnation mean that God came in a human body. The Son of God did not take upon Himself a partial human nature. He took upon Himself the entire human nature.

And lastly, the incarnation does not mean that the Spirit of the Son came to dwell in the human nature, in the same sense that the Spirit of God dwells in us. The Spirit of the Son did not come to dwell in the person of the man Jesus, but the meaning of the incarnation is this, that the Son of God, the second person in the trinity, who dwells in the divine being and continues to be all that is divine, that that Son of God took upon Himself the human nature. He did not assume a human person, but He assumed the human nature. The Son of God took upon Himself, in addition to His divine nature, the human nature. He assumed a complete, impersonal human nature. To that human nature belong both soul and body.

When God created man, He did not create a dead body and afterwards put a soul in it. God created the complete human nature. So also it is with the birth of children. We do not bring forth a dead body. We bring forth the complete human nature, but there is an action of God upon the soul of the child, as there was an action of God upon the soul of man when he was created. In other words, we bring forth the whole human nature, but the person comes from God. So it is with the incarnation. Jesus assumes the complete human nature. To that belongs both soul and body. In the same sense that we bring forth the complete human nature, in that same sense Jesus assumes the complete human nature, but as it is with us, so it is in the incarnation, the person comes from God, so that the person of the Son of God did not leave His glory but also came in the human nature, and dwells in that human nature in the same sense that He dwells in the divine nature, and that at the same time. As He dwells, loves, wills, desires, in the divine nature, so He dwells, loves, wills, desires, in the human nature, and that at the same time, so that the two natures are united in the one person of the Son of God. [Src: Lords Day 14 Faith in the Son Incarnated.]

AMR